Activision Reports Record-Setting Results For 2011

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
Activision Reports Record-Setting Results For 2011

2011 was another great year for Activison, which raked in more than $4.7 billion in revenues.

Here's something to think about the next time you find yourself irritated, frustrated or flat-out angered by Activision's business practices and insistence on keeping Bobby Kotick at the helm: in 2011, the publisher raked in $4.755 billion in GAAP net revenues [$4.489 billion non-GAAP], saw its earnings per share grow by a record-setting 17 percent and achieved a GAAP operating margin of 28 percent [30 percent non-GAAP], also a record. It also generated nearly $1 billion in operating cash flow.

34 percent of Activision's total revenues for 2011 - $1.6 billion - came from digital sales, including World of Warcraft, which ended the year with 10.2 million subscribers, and also Call of Duty Elite, which now boasts over seven million registered users, including more than 1.5 million people who paid $50 for the "annual premium" subscription. Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3 was the best-selling game of the year and became the first and so far only entertainment product to break the $1 billion mark in 16 days, besting the record set by Avatar by one day. Perhaps unexpectedly, Skylanders: Spyro's Adventures was not only the number-one kids game for the year but also "the biggest new IP launch in Activision's history," according to Kotick. Even Call of Duty: Black Ops, which came out in 2010, is still selling like gangbusters and managed to be the fifth-best-selling title in dollars in 2011.

Activision's outlook for 2012 is pretty much all sunshine and lollipops too. The Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3 Content Collection, a bundle of DLC previously released to CoD Elite premium subscribers, comes out in March and two Blizzard products, presumed to be Diablo 3 and Blizzard DoTA, will also be out later this year. The company's outlook for 2012 calendary year is $4.15 billion GAAP and $4.5 billion non-GAAP.

Korten12

Now I want ma...!
Aug 26, 2009
And que all of the people who will come in hating Acitivsion and or COD or both.

OT: Good for them, more money in the industry and good to see a New IP doing good for them aswell. Heard it was actually pretty good.

Uratoh

Jun 10, 2011
I'm not strictly sure where I get the impression, but Kotick seems to be an absolute expert at maximizing short-term growth...though the long term profitabiliy of some things he does are questionable.

burningdragoon

Warrior without Weapons
Jul 27, 2009
Soooo... who gets to do a used games joke? Me? I'mma do it.

*ahem*

And think how much more money they would have made if it wasn't for those damned used games!

*bows*

Hal10k

May 23, 2011
Dexter111 said:
Don't worry, you'll soon report about Activision like you're reporting about Zynga right now... they have max. another 3-5 years.
I'm unironically interested in hearing your reasoning on that.

Robert Ewing

Mar 2, 2011
Does this mean they can make some decent games now? And of course, exclude Blizzard from that corporate dig. Blizzard games are always top notch.

FateOrFatality

Mar 27, 2010
Hal10k said:
Dexter111 said:
Don't worry, you'll soon report about Activision like you're reporting about Zynga right now... they have max. another 3-5 years.
I'm unironically interested in hearing your reasoning on that.
Agreed. I suppose you could make the argument that there biggest products CoD and WoW might be getting stale, but then again more and more people are buying them all the time.

Loop Stricken

Covered in bees!
Jun 17, 2009
Andy Chalk said:
... and two Blizzard products, presumed to be Diablo 3 and Blizzard DoTA, will also be out later this year.
I don't know about DOTA, but Mists of Pandaria needs to come out this year. Dragon Soul raid will not last another ten months, and Blizzard have already said that there are no more content patches for Cataclysm.

Smooth Operator

Oct 5, 2010
LIES! We all know very well the industry is near death due to pirates and those terrorist scum second hand gamers.
Their profits going up during all that and a recession... never!

Relax with the ban hammer, that was sarcasm.