Activision Responds to Infinity Ward Lawsuit, Is "Disappointed"

LockeDown

Sep 27, 2009
What's arguably more intriguing is what could happen if this fiasco winds up ending in favor of the former IW execs. I mean, maybe Activision will suffer such a massive PR nightmare from this that the only way to save face will be oust Kotick!

I can dream.

CD-R

Mar 1, 2009
MR T3D said:
CD-R said:
John Funk said:
CD-R said:
I'm curios why do people some people still think this is some sort of elaborate publicity stunt to distract from the release of Bad Company 2?
I don't think it was something that Activision cooked up suddenly with the specific purpose of distracting from Bad Company 2, of course.

But, I also admit that the timing was pretty beneficial to them. So at my absolute most, tinfoil-hat, checking-my-car-chassis-for-bombs conspiracy-minded, I might call it a "two birds, one stone" scenario.
How is looking like greedy douches who screw thier devlopers out of money beneficial to them exactly? If anything it will make people want to trade thier copies of Modern in for Bad Company 2.
only sheck the chassis for bombs?
ever hear of liquid mixture in the tyres?
60mph, and BOOM!
sooner if you like burnouts
'any publicity is good publicity'
re: 'no rushin'
'FAGS'
how did those hurt sales?
they didn't
if g4 is busy 'reporting' ZOMG! bouncerz at IW on BC2's release day.
"what's going on?
OMG
LOL"
then that's less time saying: BC2 is pretty good. it takes jabs at MW2 and is much better online.
plus it could generate sympathy for IW among HC gamers, including ones 'annoyed' by things like IWnet.
Can you explain that again only be sober this time?

RUINER ACTUAL

Oct 29, 2009
Gindil said:
Wow. Can this story get any crazier?

Anyone else say it's time for a roasting of the CEO?
Of Activision? Yes. I hate Bobby Kotick more then Atkinson. We should string his ass up. He's the one ruining games.

Why do devs like IW even need a publisher? What is the developer-publisher relationship outside of money, hurting games, and raping the dev?

Altorin

Jack of No Trades
May 16, 2008
because owning a franchise like Call of Duty means anything. IW made the game. They can make another just like it, and call it Gun Shooting In Urban Environment.

it's like owning a cake box, and firing the baker who bakes cakes to go in the box.

Weaver

Overcaffeinated
Apr 28, 2008
Sonicron said:
Please, if I'm wrong about this, by all means correct me... but the guys who were responsible for decisions that pretty much equalled raping the entire PC FPS gaming community up the bum with a big, nobbly stick while pointing their fingers at the sodomized victims and laughing hysterically - those guys have now filed a lawsuit against their publishers despite being guilty of breaking their contracts?
West and Zampella, kindly stop this nonsense and escape with what's left of your dignity, would you?
Except IW was pressured from Activision to create IWnet in order to somehow fight piracy or some upper management bullshit.

I have no doubt in my mind that in this case, West and Zampella are quite probably in the right simply because I don't trust Activision anymore. With Kotick saying he wants to make games "no fun to develop". As well as "invoking a feeling of fear, skepticism and pessimism" in the office, to the whole thing of "anuualizing everything" because it's good for the bottom line - EVERYTHING they do now is about money money money.

I wouldn't be surprised if they canned West and Zampella simply because they were going to have to be payed a lot. I mean look at Activision's press release, it's like it's been designed by committee to reveal absolutely no information about anything at all. Read it, really read it. You learn NOTHING it doesn't actually SAY ANYTHING AT ALL.

I mean, I've been saying for a long while now about how Kotick is ruining gaming, yet only a few seem to listen to me. However, while things are great for Activision now, it didn't take a fucking crystal ball for me to predict that eventually the devs would be fed up with a douchebag making millions of dollars while forcing them to toil in a workplace of oppression. I gave Activision 5 years since kotick took over (in 2008) before it started rotting from the inside. Well, I guess it's starting to happen already.

Activision execs are the kind of people who would eat their own mother to make their share holders happy. West and Zampaella, they're just two nerds who wanted to make a WW2 FPS game and tried to live their dream. Sure they've been exposed to corporate politiking over the years, but they weren't TRAINED in it like kotick is. IMO they just want their dues and to get the fuck out of what is surely a hellhole to work in.

I mean you HAVE to find it a little suspicious that they were canned right before they got their big chunk of royalties. You also have to find it suspicious that Activision conducted a HUGE internal investigation more or less finding some way, any way, to get west and zampella fired exactly before they got their royalties and what's more; no one else in the whole company got fired either. This just fucking reeks of a witch hunt.

Altorin said:
because owning a franchise like Call of Duty means anything. IW made the game. They can make another just like it, and call it Gun Shooting In Urban Environment.

it's like owning a cake box, and firing the baker who bakes cakes to go in the box.
It's about owning something YOU'VE created. Imagine Bloomsbury Publishers pulled this kind of legal bullshit and somehow owned the IP of Harry Potter and J.K Rowling lost creative control over the work. Not only does brand recognition really help sales - Rowling would be fucking heartbroken. This is something SHE created out of hard work and creative thinking (not that a ww2 fps is really creative, but still). These guys MADE CoD. To them, the game is part of them.

I hope activision burns to the fucking ground. I hope this sparks a revolution and the employees who've had their seeds of dissident's planted in them by Kotick for 2 years finally sprout and they all bring forth the injustices they've faced.

GloatingSwine

Nov 10, 2007
AC10 said:
It's about owning something YOU'VE created. Imagine Bloomsbury Publishers pulled this kind of legal bullshit and somehow owned the IP of Harry Potter and J.K Rowling lost creative control over the work. Not only does brand recognition really help sales - Rowling would be fucking heartbroken. This is something SHE created out of hard work and creative thinking (not that a ww2 fps is really creative, but still). These guys MADE CoD. To them, the game is part of them.
Actually, Warner own the Harry Potter IP with the sole exception that they aren't allowed to release new books.

DTWolfwood

Better than Vash!
Oct 20, 2009
the more heads rolls at IW the better cant believe im on Activisions side on this one D:

after the bastardization of MW that is its sequel screw IW nerdrage!

Proteus214

Game Developer
Jul 31, 2009
To me this whole thing is a collision of big heads and big business. West and Zampella flew off the handle a little bit on this one, but Activision's enigmatic financial practices and use of muscle over tact (bouncers? really now?) doesn't exactly help their PR.

MiracleOfSound

Fight like a Krogan
Jan 3, 2009
The_root_of_all_evil said:
MiracleOfSound said:
*applaud*

Want to talk about breaking contracts? I doubt IW have seen royalties as of yet. If Activision brings in thugs and start talking about counter-sues before they even receive the sue, then they have to know they're replacing morals with legalities.

Whether Activision is right or wrong on this, they've painted themselves as bullies of the highest order.
And you know what, I don't think they give a shit that people percieve them that way. It's not going to stop millions of people buying thier games.

I hope they sign up Ubisoft next and screw them up instead.

Mysnomer

Nov 11, 2009
Why are people raging at IW over the problems with MW2 on PC? Aren't it's shortcomings due to pressures from Activision?
Look at how financially based the decisions are:
1)No dedicated servers=no $$ needed to maintain said servers.
2)No mod console=less flexibility, and the masses will have to buy the next game when it's released
3)Hell, even the release of MW2 itself is part of Activision's videogame sweatshop. If the CoD and Modern Warfare brands had remained solely controlled by IW f, we'd probably have sum-total four CoD games, they'd be damn fine, and all would be released on PC first, and then maybe ported to consoles later.

jackanderson

Sep 7, 2008
This is a great big WTF week in my mind. This story is hopelessly gripping. And I'm holding on because I'd like some real answers, dammit!

I like how Activision just assumes Infinity Ward wanted to have EA publish a game. These two really are locked in a war for supreme domination of the Earth.

This is the equivalent of a hostage situation to me. But don't worry! 24 has taught me exactly how to control the situation. "I want real time updates on the status of this story! Someone keep me in the loop! Yes I will persecute my daughter for breaking the law!"

There we go! Situation handled!

0p3rati0n

Apr 14, 2009
CORRODED SIN said:
0p3rati0n said:
and the craziness continues.... >_>
...and in the end, we'll be the ones to get fucked.
Yep and then Activition will get fucked itself because so many people will want to kill them and burn down their office building.

RUINER ACTUAL

Oct 29, 2009
0p3rati0n said:
CORRODED SIN said:
0p3rati0n said:
Yep and then Activition will get fucked itself because so many people will want to kill them and burn down their office building.
Now that's an idea. How many people play MW2 online...?

0p3rati0n

Apr 14, 2009
CORRODED SIN said:
0p3rati0n said:
CORRODED SIN said:
0p3rati0n said:
Now that's an idea. How many people play MW2 online...?
10's of thousands! o_O