Activision Unveils DJ Hero Renegade Edition

wordsmith

TF2 Group Admin
May 1, 2008
GreatVladmir said:
Why is it called "Renegade" Edition? What are you some sort of renegade DJ going agaisnt the DJ establishment? But seriously, Gituar Hero was fun because you can play with mates like in a band, but DJ's asalitary creatures so I'm guessing it single-player. Also, its got music by Eminem and Jay-Z, I would so fork over £120 to pretend to be a deuch.

Sorry, but I feel these types of games only work for music made in bands.
Renegade was a track by Jay-Z on The Blueprint, produced by Eminem, so that would make sense.

As for "ZOMG it's single player"... Remember back when Guitar Hero first surfaced? Single player game. Unless you bought another guitar (read- turntable), in which case you could play against a friend. GH wasn't a "band" game until Rock Band came out, and they decided they needed to step up a level to compete with them.

"It's got Eminem and Jay-Z, so I'd fork over £120 to pretend to be a deuch"

... Assuming you mean douche, I fail to see how music by a pair of rappers has anything to do with a game about DJ's. The whole thing about "it only has 3 buttons" is flawed as well, you've got the 3 buttons, then you've got the forward/backward movement on the record, as well as the two sliders (which presumably is to go between the records?).

Personally I'm looking forward to it. I'm tempted to get myself a console, just so I can play it. It does, however, show me that there are a lot of close-minded people on here when it comes to music. Not all rap is guns, bitches and bling, in the same way that not all metal is distortion and screaming.

73loup said:
This may just be my ignorance regarding mixing/DJing, but is there any realism to this? To me it doesn't seem like 3 buttons on the table have a realistic analog. I
It bares no more realism than Guitar Hero does, if that's what you mean?

Gunner_Guardian

Jul 15, 2009
This game is going to bomb, I can feel it.

It's overpriced and unlike guitar hero, it doesn't the same appeal to casual gamers. It should serve a small niche of players but even they will be resistant to the $120 price tag.

similar.squirrel

Mar 28, 2009
Great. Another piece of crap that'll give many children worldwide the undeserved delusion that they possess an ounce of musical talent.

5stringedbandit

Jun 6, 2009
Ollie596 said:
Looks pretty pointless to me.

Is anyone on the Escapist actually going to buy this?
I am. I think it is a revolutionary ne......

I seriously can't finish this sentence. No. I will not buy this.

wordsmith

TF2 Group Admin
May 1, 2008
5stringedbandit said:
Ollie596 said:

What about Generic Space Marine Game #122 or WW2 War Game Simulator XXXXVIII? Will you be buying those?

Alone Disciple

Jun 10, 2008
hansari said:
Alone Disciple said:
As a child of the 80's myself growing up with actual music video's on MTV, I used to love MTV Raps and a lot of old skool stuff. So count me in big time. The idea of scratching Herbie Hancock's "Rock It" and some Eric B. & Rakim back in my day...oh yeah!!!
Don't get overexcited now. Everyone "dream song" isn't on Rock Band so likewise, your probably not gonna get a lot of "old skool" stuff. The fact that Jay-Z and Eminem are the ones promoting this rather than real DJ's (Carl Cox anyone?) is a good indicator where this is headed...
I recognize what you are saying, but some of the song list has been revealed on numerous sites. There are plenty of old skool (the aforementioned Rockit and Eric B. & Rakim) and others thay haven't revealed yet but guaranteed are coming, along with some current tracks, and euro dance mashups.

I think the mentality sometimes is that only Americans have the corner on music, so any music game must include and place and emphasis on what American like, hence solo discs that cater to Metallica, Van Halen, etc. Sure, I know there are some good euro rock bands, but I think a lot of people don't realize just how big the euro dance scene is...It's much, much bigger across the pond than it is here, where the likes of Paul Oakenfeld, Boy George, Tiesto, DJ Shadow, etc. are 'gods' in the same way we treat our rocks stars over here.

You can draw the analogy in the likes of american football vs. european soccer. Trance, mashups, dance is the big thing there, and again, like me, even though I don't dislike Rock....you'll never see me buy an AC/DC or Metallica album. But throw down some Rick James sampling over some Eminem and Activision has my money. All they are doing is opening up an additional option for those with different genre tastes and recognize there are more musical avenues out there than a guitar and a drum.

Just as someone one said (which I quoted) "Who would buy this?" I'd probably ask the same question on who the heck would drop close to $300 on the ION drum kit...but someone is...they're making it for a reason...and selling it. So it making someone happy...

Wiki lists quite a few old skoolers on the track list: Grand Master Flash, LL Cool J, KRS-one with more DLC planned.

I've read quite a few of the replies and I recognize a lot of the negative scope of a turntable as an instrument, but again, I think you're failing to see this isn't a game to emulate a 'rapper', you are emulating DJ who mixes diffrent tracks and the object is to hit the synches and dubs on queue. Time will tell if this game will indeed sell, you may be right...it may indeed suck. HOWEVER, for those people who enjoy BPM and the club scene, you can't tell me this won't sell. I'm sure this will be big in the U.K., and again..>I know I'm repeating myself...but jsut because it's a rhythm game, doesn't mean all of us live and die by the guitar. I like my Rock Band and my GHWT, but do I love it with the same passion that some fanboys go to war over GoW2 vs. CoD4? Admiteddly I'm not a drummer, not even a good fake drummer, but I like my turntables....and I'm looking forward to this more so that GH5 or RB3....been there...done that.

Tony Harrison

Jan 28, 2008
I thought it was a ridiculous idea when I heard it was planned. After seeing it I've changed my mind, this looks more interesting than guitar hero.

cleverlymadeup

Mar 7, 2008
wow with stuff like this i can certainly see how this will tank and then of course activision will blame the high price of the consoles and developments for them losing money on this project

i'm not sure why they take risks like this when they complain about the high costs of everything and losing money on projects

5stringedbandit

Jun 6, 2009
wordsmith said:
5stringedbandit said:
Ollie596 said:

What about Generic Space Marine Game #122 or WW2 War Game Simulator XXXXVIII? Will you be buying those?
Only if it comes bundled with pointless accessory version 68.24

ConnorCool

Master Assassin
Apr 23, 2009
seriously, doing it for real isnt that hard, a little practice and youre away. Saying that, this will be a lot cheaper than buying a real setup, and it doesnt look for from real either

Woem

May 28, 2009
yankeefan19 said:
The controler looks like the game will be boring.
I have to disagree. I'm really looking forward to seeing 100% FC Youtube movies for this. Yeah I'm a voyeur.

internutt

Aug 27, 2008
I'm sure there is a market for this game, however all my friends are sick and tired of these games than need peripherals.

Special editions are becoming more common lately. Hopefully developers start packing a lot cooler stuff into them rather than just palette swap DLC and art books. Really give consumers more for the more expensive asking price.

The Great JT

Oct 6, 2008
Yahtzee said:
And it will be rated PG for "Pretentious Git."
Who decided this was a good idea? We need someone to sacrifice to the Volcano God.

"It's Guitar Hero but with rap music!" No, it's Guitar Hero for foul-mouthed idiots who think they have any talent because they can talk fast and about slutty women, guns and murder. And truthfully, I get enough of that last one from Norwegian black metal, but with more "Satan will blight your souls," which I would actually prefer to someone breaking out a record player-shaped controller and having to listen endlessly to 50 Cent and Jay-Z and...what other rappers have lived past two albums...Busta Rhymes.

This is the same question I keep asking with Guitar Hero, "why can't they put in artists I like?" There's never any Dio, Heaven and Hell, Richie Blackmoore's Rainbow or Sepultura in GH, just like there will be everyone I despise in DJH.

Everyone knows that rap was good only up until 1989.

Amnestic

High Priest of Haruhi
Aug 22, 2008
Ranooth said:
A million quid to the first man how can find the point!
It'll sell copies and thus make Activision more money.

I'll take my million quid now, thanks. Feel free to e-mail me for my address so you know where to drop off my giant novelty cheque.

NewGeekPhilosopher

Feb 25, 2009
I actually look forward to this game, but then again I'm a shameless casual whore. Different... scratches... for different folks?

wordsmith

TF2 Group Admin
May 1, 2008
The Great JT said:
"It's Guitar Hero but with rap music!" No, it's Guitar Hero for foul-mouthed idiots who think they have any talent because they can talk fast and about slutty women, guns and murder.
*JT casts Lvl 1 assumption* *JT's spell failed!*

What you seem to miss is that rap isn't "foul-mouthed idiots" who just "talk fast about slutty women, guns and murder". Ever heard of Lupe Fiasco? Hilltop Hoods? XV? Flobots? No, thought not. Gangsta rap (what you describe) is to Rap as Black Metal is to metal. One variant of a genre. I could say that all Metal is talentless freaks flailing at a distortion-laden guitar and screaming at a mic, but I also know that there are metal groups out there with immense skill.

Whilst I take your point that a lot of MAINSTREAM rap is shit, that's because it's MAINSTREAM. Until they say that Soulja Boi is on there, I'm still looking forward to it.

As a side note, with DJ Hero, you're not getting the original songs anyway. I actually hope that Hate It Or Love It and How We Do are on there. Why? Because as much as I think The Game is a crap rapper, and lyrically the songs suck, the beats are both pretty nice (and so would suit a mix). Personally, I had to put up with listening and learning music that I felt was lacking somewhat in the GH games, so why the hell shouldn't they cater for the rest of us? For an example of a crap song made better by mixing, take Pink's "Get The Party Started". Now listen to Redman vs Pink's "I Can't Get The Club Started" (I can't get in the club vs Get the party started).

Oh.. and as for the "who else has lived past two albums" thing... Two of the (arguably) worst deaths to hit the hip-hop industry were those of 2pac (5 studio albums before death) and Notorious BIG (6 studio albums). Not to mention various freestyles, recorded battles, guest vocals on other records, mixtapes and unrecorded verses which had been written but not used. In fact, the only rapper who I can think of that might fit your stereotype is Proof, who had 2 mixtapes, one EP, one solo album and 2 group albums (with D12) when he was shot a few years ago... All in all, I think you'd actually benefit from the game, maybe it'll give you the education on a subject that you seem to know so little about...

joystickjunki3 said:
Maybe if it were a fully functioning turntable.
What, you mean like GH and Rockband included a real drum kit and a pair of guitars?