Adam Lambert as Lead Singer of Queen??

Disasterpiece Press

Jan 2, 2012
When I first read this today, I thought it was an Onion article. I guess he sang some songs with the band and they are talking about having a tour.
And I just want to vent as much rage as possible - you do not, under any circumstances, try to "replace" Freddie Mercury, perhaps (definitely in my opinion) the greatest rock n roll showman of all-time, who gave us thee greatest (no perhaps about it) rock n roll performance ever at Live Aid (search it out if you have never seen it). I know people who don't even like Queen (what? really?) but they still respect the hell out of how Freddie performed.
Please tell me I'm not the only one who thinks this is as bad an idea as remaking "OldBoy"? I don't care if this Lambert is an amazing talent (he's not), you just do not call yourself Queen. Without Freddie, there is no Queen.

CODE-D

Feb 6, 2011
Who better to be in queen than a queen....

Kidding aside, queen is still alive?

Yureina

Who are you?
May 6, 2010
I wasn't even aware that Queen was even still together as a band anymore. In any event, I, like you, feel as if that band died with Freddie Mercury. A tragedy, to be sure, but... that's how it turned out. :/

Hero in a half shell

It's not easy being green
Dec 30, 2009
I didn't actually know who Adam Lambert was until I googled him, and then I nearly hulked out, An American Idol runner-up?!?! How could this travesty happen?

But then I decided to look up Youtube to see his singing ability, and... well...

It's not actually bad. Better than Celine Dion's cover at any rate. The guy can sing, and his voice is suited to Queens tempo and style, but I still have to take issue with him imitating Freddy's looks and everything. If he was going to take on Freddies role in Queen then he should have done it as himself, not as a half-assed impersonation.

No one can replace Freddy, and he shouldn't be trying to, even if it's planned as a sort of homage, it should be "Queen and Adam Lambert", not "Queen and Adam Lambert as Freddy Mercury" In that case you might as well put Animal on the drums and Bieber on electric guitar.

General Ken8

May 18, 2009
I don't know. . . I can't say I like the idea. Lambert's a good singer, but I don't like how he sounds with the band. If anything, I think they should go through with Roger Taylor's original idea: to find random talented people from video covers of Queen songs on Youtube, and choose people that way.

Fiz_The_Toaster

books, Books, BOOKS
Legacy
Jan 19, 2011
Country
United States
No, just.....no.

I don't care who the hell that guy is, you just don't do that. NO ONE replaces Freddy Mercury.

Disasterpiece Press

Jan 2, 2012
I can't really fault the other members for wanting to still play music together and they do need a singer - but why even call it Queen? At best, you are a really talented cover band by doing this. Some bands can get away with this sort of thing (hell, look at what AC/DC managed to do with their career, like them or not) but for others, it is a horrific musical Frankenstein.
Imagine, if you will, Paul & Ringo decide to hire out two other musicians and call themselves the Beatles. Play deep cuts from the whole catalog. Tour the world. Maybe open each show with a brief tribute to John & George.
Holy balls, what a shitstorm that would be! People would lose their minds over this!!
Freddie is just that important to Queen and rock n roll.
Everything has its time, and that band is over, sad as that will forever be.

floobie

Sep 10, 2010
I love Queen and consider Freddie Mercury to be the best rock singer ever. Honestly, based on the video Hero in a Half Shell posted... I think he did a pretty damn good job of it. I don't think he sounds like Freddie at all, which is a good thing I think.The guy can most definitely sing. He has a bit much vibrato on his voice in general, but otherwise I thought he was pretty damn good. I know it's popular to rip on American Idol, but that show is very good at churning out some truly technically proficient singers. The standards they're held to from show to show are immense. I'm generally a metal fan, and I can say with complete confidence that even some of my favourite metal singers are almost never that tight live.

I think it's pretty ridiculous to think that Queen can never hire another singer. While Freddie Mercury is irreplaceable, the band still has three very much alive, talented musicians who I'm quite sure still want to explore their creativity and make music together. And, since they generally aren't an instrumental band, they need a singer for that. If they can find someone they get along with and have genuine musical chemistry with, I think they should go for it.

uneek

Sep 4, 2011
Hero in a half shell said:
I didn't actually know who Adam Lambert was until I googled him, and then I nearly hulked out, An American Idol runner-up?!?! How could this travesty happen?

But then I decided to look up Youtube to see his singing ability, and... well...

It's not actually bad. Better than Celine Dion's cover at any rate. The guy can sing, and his voice is suited to Queens tempo and style, but I still have to take issue with him imitating Freddy's looks and everything. If he was going to take on Freddies role in Queen then he should have done it as himself, not as a half-assed impersonation.

No one can replace Freddy, and he shouldn't be trying to, even if it's planned as a sort of homage, it should be "Queen and Adam Lambert", not "Queen and Adam Lambert as Freddy Mercury" In that case you might as well put Animal on the drums and Bieber on electric guitar.
Well, that was surprisingly not terrible (of course I only heard a few seconds of it). Honestly, I'm more surprised that Queen is still trying to be active. Isn't Brian May like teaching astrophysics somewhere?

RussetRanger

Jan 31, 2010
Fiz_The_Toaster said:
No, just.....no.

I don't care who the hell that guy is, you just don't do that. NO ONE replaces Freddy Mercury.
I came on just to say that. Freddy and only Freddy.

Astoria

Oct 25, 2010
No! No no no no no no no no! Trying to replace Freddy is bad enough but with an American Idol contestant just no. Nothing against the guy, he can sing, but you just can't get Freddy's sound from anyone else and changing it just isn't right to me. Let Queen and Freddy rest, if you want to keep going make a new band with this guy.

mysecondlife

Feb 24, 2011
People here are acting like Queen had never replaced Freddy Mercury before.

but I gotta say, I would prefer Paul Rodgers to Adam Lambert

isometry

Mar 17, 2010
It's simple, Queen has done tours off and on with a rotating cast of guest singers. If you read the story, Lambert is just going to sing with them on a few tour dates, it's not that big a deal.

Also all the post-Freddie Queen stuff I've seen has been done in a respectful way. This is not some kind of Van Halen situation where they replace the singer and become a different band with the same name, it's just tributes to the old days for the fan's sake.

Monkeyman O'Brien

Jan 27, 2012
No. Just no. Freddy was a gay man and was still the man. You can not replace him with some eye liner wearing little poof. That little nonce has no place singing with legends like Queen.

Wanna know how bad ass Freddy was?

People are currently mistaking Freddys face for God.

KeyMaster45

Gone Gonzo
Jun 16, 2008
Well he certainly looks like something from the era of Queen. Personally I think Lambert is a real tosser of an attention whore, but hey if the band members want to wreck their cred by letting him sing lead then by all means who are we to stop them.