Adam Orth Resigns Following Always-Online Twitter Comments

Headdrivehardscrew

Aug 22, 2011
robert022614 said:
If I had a job that pays the amount his probably did and I didnt HAVE to talk to the consumer I probably wouldnt
even have a twitter account. I dont know how in the world he thought this was acceptable like Microsoft was going
take his side #need a resume
At least have the common sense and don't use your real name on antisocial media. People are digging their own graves with this crap since day one.

Ever wondered why all those pictures of rapists, wife stabbers and folks running amok are copyrighted (c) Facebook?

Captcha: brush your teeth - gee, thanks captcha! What would become of me without you!

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
Would the douchetag "dealwithit" be an appropriate response?

Because, well, sauce for the goose....

(Side ntoe: I don't wish the guy ill. I just think the same sort of callous response would be fitting)

mew4ever23

Mar 21, 2008
Good riddance to one pompous idiot of a Microsoft employee. Stable broadband internet is not available everywhere, not even everywhere in America. And writing off the crowd that can't get internet, or doesn't hook their Xbox up to it is just foolish. I'm reminded of the latest Jimquisition, here.

Andy Shandy said:

Woodsey

Aug 9, 2009
IronMit said:
Fired for telling a bad joke....that's really quite sad (I am assuming the always online DRM xbox is not really happening)

However, if what he said was true, he has been fired for confirming something he shouldn't have.
Fired for being a twat and making the people he works for look bad. Traditionally that is something of a fireable offence.

Seventh Actuality

Apr 23, 2010
"Those people should definitely get with the times and get the internet. It's awesome," adding "Why on earth would I live [in a place with poor internet coverage]?"
What a little tit. He sounds like a sheltered, self-absorbed walking White People stereotype, not a grown-ass man in a position of responsibility.

DoveAlexa

Oct 28, 2009
While the guy is obviously a gigantic snob and an asshole to boot, I really hate how one misstep is always an automatic firing now a-days. Whatever happened to being punished and being allowed to still have the means to support yourself? What ever happened to demotions, suspensions, being moved to a different branch, or being internally fined?

Sure this guy caused a ruckus, but its not like he spent the last 18 months sexually harassing someone or been caught embezzling millions over the course of his career; he just had 1 lousy conversation on twitter.

Its not like all of Microsoft can never ever recover from this. Its stock didn't even drop the day the guy said it.

J Tyran

Dec 15, 2011
Binnsyboy said:
JemothSkarii said:
Yes, I'm sure he resigned much like I did; 'Resign or be fired'.
Sounds a hell of a decision to make. Resign so you're not fired from a job that future employers will be aware of, or be fired so he can actually have a severance package...
People in the US get severance pay if they are fired for misconduct? Thats interesting, I suppose this guy might have got something for resigning anyway if only to get him out the door.

Canadamus Prime

Robot in Disguise
Jun 17, 2009
Steven Bogos said:
Orth is not the first person to be "fired" due to comments made on social media, and probably won't be the last.>
Yeah he probably won't be the last since people seem to be unable to reign in their inner asshole when it comes to Twatter (and no that's not a typo).

As for Orth, I guess he'll have to deal with it. The consequences of shooting his internet mouth off, that is.

kajinking

Aug 12, 2009
Hey want to know what happened with my computer last night playing borderlands 2?

Due to a storm the internet kicked out randomly three times.

Want to know what happened?

I got kicked from my multiplayer game, started up a single player game and just kept playing till the connection came back!

How the hell is always online a smart idea?!

Gilbert Estrada

Apr 30, 2010
J Tyran said:
Binnsyboy said:
JemothSkarii said:
Sounds a hell of a decision to make. Resign so you're not fired from a job that future employers will be aware of, or be fired so he can actually have a severance package...
People in the US get severance pay if they are fired for misconduct? Thats interesting, I suppose this guy might have got something for resigning anyway if only to get him out the door.
No, you don't get severance when you get fired.

Severance is meant to be compensation for the loss of employment due to factors that the employee had no control over. It generally happens for layoffs, not firings or resignations.

A lot of people confuse firing with being laid off, but they're very different.

The reason you don't get severance when you get fired is that 'firing' typically means your employer terminated your employment for cause (you did something wrong), and they don't feel they owe you anything beyond what you've already earned.

Quitting a job is similar, except it's the employee who makes the decision to leave (usually because they are unhappy with the employer), and the employer likewise has no duty to provide anything beyond what the employee has already earned. There are exceptions but they're pretty unusual and almost always come about after lots of legal slapfighting.

Resignation is slightly different from all of the above: the employee isn't 'forced' to do it (like a layoff or firing) and the employer may provide some sort of compensation in return depending on the circumstances, but they're not required to since the employee is technically the one who decided to leave.

Of course 'resignation' nowadays almost always means that the employee was going to get fired anyway but might have grounds to make a messy legal fight of the issue, so the employer decided to throw some sort of compensation at the employee in exchange for leaving peacefully. Still not really considered severance so much as a pre-emptive settlement.

J Tyran

Dec 15, 2011
Gilbert Estrada said:
J Tyran said:
Binnsyboy said:
JemothSkarii said:

Severance is meant to be compensation for the loss of employment due to factors that the employee had no control over. It generally happens for layoffs, not firings or resignations.

The reason you don't get severance when you get fired is that 'firing' typically means your employer terminated your employment for cause (you did something wrong), and they don't feel they owe you anything beyond what you've already earned.

Quitting a job is similar, except it's the employee who makes the decision to leave (usually because they are unhappy with the employer), and the employer likewise has no duty to provide anything beyond what the employee has already earned. There are exceptions but they're pretty unusual and almost always come about after lots of legal slapfighting.

Resignation is slightly different from all of the above: the employee isn't 'forced' to do it (like a layoff or firing) and the employer may provide some sort of compensation in return depending on the circumstances, but they're not required to since the employee is technically the one who decided to leave.

Of course 'resignation' nowadays almost always means that the employee was going to get fired anyway but might have grounds to make a messy legal fight of the issue, so the employer decided to throw some sort of compensation at the employee in exchange for leaving peacefully. Still not really considered severance so much as a pre-emptive settlement.
I am familiar with the concept... Thats why I asked if you get it for being fired for misconduct because I found it surprising if you did. Its called redundancy pay here but the idea is the same.

AzrealMaximillion

Jan 20, 2010
The fact that this rumour of the Durango's always online has been around for months and MS hasn't quashed it means it has to be true. The fact that they made Orth resign over his asinine comments further cements that truth. I think Microsoft will gain the crowning achievement of making the first gaming device to fail due to always online and not be in relation to the PC.

Gilbert Estrada

Apr 30, 2010
J Tyran said:
Gilbert Estrada said:
J Tyran said:
Binnsyboy said:
JemothSkarii said:

I am familiar with the concept... Thats why I asked if you get it for being fired for misconduct because I found it surprising if you did. Its called redundancy pay here but the idea is the same.
Actually I figured YOU had a decent grasp of the subject, otherwise you wouldn't have bothered to ask!

Everything beyond my first sentence was more aimed at the general reader who might not understand the difference.. I've been creating training materials for my department for a few months and tend to slip into 'boring lecture' mode without meaning to, my apologies if it seemed like I was talking down to ya.

Gilbert Estrada

Apr 30, 2010
AzrealMaximillion said:
The fact that this rumour of the Durango's always online has been around for months and MS hasn't quashed it means it has to be true. The fact that they made Orth resign over his asinine comments further cements that truth. I think Microsoft will gain the crowning achievement of making the first gaming device to fail due to always online and not be in relation to the PC.
Actually I'm leaning more towards the rumors being false or at the very least highly exaggerated, and most importantly I think they're being 'leaked' intentionally to lower expectations for the 720.

I'm guessing that they're going to unveil something that will be less than earth-shaking spec-wise, but compared to all of the 'sky is falling' rumors it'll look like a shining jewel. As a bonus they could even add spin that the rumors were all based on old information from early in development, but they're so 'customer experience focused' and 'forward thinking' that they decided on their own not to implement them.

But then I'm pretty cynical, especially when it comes to companies that are as sneaky as Microsoft.

Carnagath

Apr 18, 2009
He "resigned" for blabbering on Twitter about things that Microsoft are holding under paranoid wraps at the moment, while simultaneously infuriating thousands of potential customers by being a condescending dick? What a surprise...

AzrealMaximillion

Jan 20, 2010
Gilbert Estrada said:
AzrealMaximillion said:
Actually I'm leaning more towards the rumors being false or at the very least highly exaggerated, and most importantly I think they're being 'leaked' intentionally to lower expectations for the 720.

I'm guessing that they're going to unveil something that will be less than earth-shaking spec-wise, but compared to all of the 'sky is falling' rumors it'll look like a shining jewel. As a bonus they could even add spin that the rumors were all based on old information from early in development, but they're so 'customer experience focused' and 'forward thinking' that they decided on their own not to implement them.

But then I'm pretty cynical, especially when it comes to companies that are as sneaky as Microsoft.
I'd still say that the rumour is true. You do have a point, but keep in mind that MS has stocks on the market, and negative rumours cause stocks to drop. I doubt MS would let a rumour as negatively perceived as this go on for months in a market style that works off of confidence.

weirdee

Swamp Weather Balloon Gas
Apr 11, 2011
Mr.K. said:
ScruffyMcBalls said:
Seems a little extreme, firing a dude for acting out of context and being a bit of a cock.
But he wasn't fired he resigned, it's not like the company would force him into doing something he didn't want to do himself, he had complete creative freedom in the matter...
it's likely that this was a company "suggested" course of action, as it is a tradition these days to have employees resign to save face for the company