Adam Orth To Give Speech On Online Toxicity

CriticalMiss

Jan 18, 2013
I hope he had to pay to do this talk and then noone shows up, probably because they were all out watching talks from people who actually matter in the industry. Like the guy who decided the PS1 should be grey.

AlwaysPractical

Oct 7, 2011
The irony in this is just
so
beautiful :')

Best case scenario:
There'll be hecklers.

Scenario better than the best:
Not even the people that hate him can be bothered to heckle a guy who is such an unimportant little spec of dirt in the gaming industry.

I agree we need to confront online toxicity (hell, the post above is filled with it), but this is not the guy we need to be hearing that from.

Winnosh

Sep 23, 2010
I'm actually sorta sad the guy lost his job. He actually was quite a bit more civil than the rest of the microsoft people who actually confirmed what he said.

Canadamus Prime

Robot in Disguise
Jun 17, 2009
Well you would know all about that, wouldn't you Mr. Orth? Maybe instead you should do a speech about being out of touch with your consumer base.

Smooth Operator

Oct 5, 2010
He will give a speech on online toxicity... is his venue is sponsored by 4chan by any chance?
I'm guessing a KKK leader will have his lecture on racism just after that.

KOMega

Aug 30, 2010
Oh no I think I'm forming an opinion!
Help me before I start wrecking corporations and level houses and destroying markets!
*insert godzilla noises*

Nimzabaat

Feb 1, 2010
That was a pretty sad day all around.
Microsoft: You can get a triple AAA title for potentially $6.00! (if you have 10 friends)
Gamers: No! We want to pay $60.00!
Microsoft: You understand that $6.00 is LESS than $60.00?
Gamers: Understanding requires effort! We WANT to pay $60.00!
Microsoft: Oh for fucks sake, fine.

KOMega

Aug 30, 2010
Nimzabaat said:
Microsoft: You can get a triple AAA title for potentially $6.00! (if you have 10 friends)
Wait, are my friends paying $6.00 too?

Also, there seems to be a nasty rumor that the xbox family sharing thing was actually a glorified demo service and not the actual full game (well, it is the full game, but on a strict time limit.)[still needs confirmation]

I would very much like more information on this payment service you are talking about.

Jamous

Apr 14, 2009
While we shouldn't have hounded him as we did, at least not to the point of resignation, he also ought to know better than to make comments containing such ridiculously stupendous idiocy.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
SkarKrow said:
Destructive power of opinion and online community?

You mean potential customer feedback? I would've though that that would be really helpful for anyone trying to sell people a product. Millions of people telling you exactly what you want out of your product...
I was confused by this, because I'm not sure what angle he's taking, but it sounds like Herman Cain running a seminar on sexual harassment with the thesis being "bitches want the D."

I mean, maybe he's learned from his mistake? Please? Pretty please?

MiskWisk said:
Online toxicity is no worse than real life toxicity.
The thing is, a lot of times people seem surprised that things on the internet catch them flak. So while it's the same, people tend to do dumber things and then get caught. Look at guys who steal things and then show it off on Facebook/Twitter/whatever. We've even had rapists brag on Facebook, evidently.

I personally think this is an extension of the Greater Internet Fuckwad Theory [http://www.penny-arcade.com/comic/2004/03/19]. We tend to treat the internet as steeped in anonimity, which is partially true. When you're talking shit as "xXxeliteXsniperXswagXbroxXx" you're pretty anonymous (though never completely). When you're posting as Adam Orth, guy in important position at Microsoft, not only is the idea of anonymity ridiculous, but people are going to watch you like a hawk.

I don't think people are prepared for it.

Seracen said:
Since when are my 1st Amendment Rights a "destructive power" that hearkens the demise of civilization? That's not to say everything ever said is sacred, but the right to say it is.
Rights can still have destructive capability. Case in point, we totally destroyed Adam Orth's career. I maintain that's not necessarily a bad thing, though. :p

Neverhoodian said:
Is it too much to hope that someone shouts this in the middle of the speech?
If nobody shouted "Xbox off" at Microsoft's big tent event or E3? It's too much to hope for.

geizr

Oct 9, 2008
Sounds like Adam may be suffering a case of butt-hurt. He may want to deal with it before becomes a serious health issue.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
Robetid said:
First I was classified as a pirate, and now I'm part of an angry mob reigning destruction everywhere i go accross the internet? I wish my online lifestyle was actually as fun and exciting as it sounds.
Me too. Between wrecking ships at sea and stealing their sweet gold and running down people mercilessly, online me sounds AWESOME!

(And no, I don't pirate, before I get warned about this. It's the accusation, not the action).

Smilomaniac said:
He's pulling a Sarkeesian
Only if you heavily edit her actions until they no longer actually represent what she's actually done.

Or, as the anti-Anita crowd seems to call it, "reasonable criticsm." So have at it, I guess.

masticina

Jan 19, 2011
Well he is an expert is sounding like an asshole so .. if you want to learn that you can buy a ticket and learn it from him.

I.. what good can you say about this.

Longstreet

Jun 16, 2012
Nimzabaat said:
Eeehm, you do reasile that is not how it would work right?

Please tell me you are being sarcastic here.

Now OT;
Not online does the title of his speech scream ignorance, he should just deal with it

Yes i went that far.

Also joining in on the comments of some of my fellow escapees, who lives in LA and wants to shout DEAL WITH IT through the room?

BloodSquirrel

Jun 23, 2008
Zachary Amaranth said:
Rights can still have destructive capability. Case in point, we totally destroyed Adam Orth's career. I maintain that's not necessarily a bad thing, though. :p
Adam Orth destoryed Adam Orth's career. No amount of "toxicity" from gamers would have cost Orth his job- it was him deciding to sling mud at gamers that cost him his job.

SecondPrize

Mar 12, 2012
Hopefully GDC also has a talk on "How not to lose your job because you damaged your employer's image on social media," he can check out after he finishes telling us how awful we were in our reaction to his statements.

SecondPrize

Mar 12, 2012
KOMega said:
Nimzabaat said:
Wait, are my friends paying $6.00 too?

Also, there seems to be a nasty rumor that the xbox family sharing thing was actually a glorified demo service and not the actual full game (well, it is the full game, but on a strict time limit.)[still needs confirmation]

I would very much like more information on this payment service you are talking about.
I saw that demo thing too, but there's no good sourcing on it, just a supposed developer blog. No reason they can't now divulge the details, as it isn't happening anymore.
It looked dumb though, like far worse than sony's hour of play on any downloadable title to check it out.