Adam Sessler Leaves G4

Soviet Heavy

Jan 22, 2010
God I miss the old days. Something about watching the old Extended Play series is just fascinating to see how far we've come, and yet Adam remained a constant.

Formica Archonis

Anonymous Source
Nov 13, 2009
Gods, has it really been 14 years since I saw him pretend to staple his penis on Extended Play? Wow. Time flies.

Time to download all the Sessler's Soapbox videos....

Varitel

Jan 22, 2011
I used to love X-Play, but I'm kind of glad for him leaving. I think it's a good move to jump off of that sinking G4 ship.

Also, has anyone noticed that all of his hair seems to have migrated from one end of his head to the other? It's freakin' me out a bit.

Revnak_v1legacy

Fixed by "Monday"
Mar 28, 2010
RaikuFA said:
Revnak said:
RaikuFA said:
Revnak said:
RaikuFA said:
jdogtwodolla said:
RaikuFA said:
So he goes and bashes JRPGs instead?
Wait I just watched and listened to the video twice now. When did he do this?
Not in that video, but the reporter says hes trying to improve gaming journalism and yet...

Oh and how we deserved the MML3 canning just because we like the series: http://nintendo3dsblog.com/g4-bashes-the-mega-man-legends-3-fan-movement

Or how his review system is:

WRPG: Save the world = best story ever made
JRPG: Save the world = JRPG cliche would not play again
You know, I agree with you about how Sessler is regarding JRPGs, but that's his prerogative. He dislikes them, I don't. On the whole I still think he's probably one of the best guys in the video game journalism industry and I wish him the best of luck. He was funny and insightful, even if he really hated one of my favorite genres.
Sorry, I never found him funny. Saw a ep and my head hurt afterwards. And I can't find him insightful espesially since he has clear hatred for a genre just because its the cool thing to do.
I find him to be quite funny, and I hate to make the hipster comment, but he has been hating JRPGs since long before it was cool. You simply haven't watched that much of X-play. I've been watching it since G4 came into existence, and it was already a thing that he hated them. I am certain he does not hate them because it is cool. He hates them because he usually does not enjoy them. He loved FF12 by the way.
Either way, he cannot be considered "improving gaming journalism" if it means a whole genre gets thrown out. He's not improving journalism when he acts like that.
You can't make him like things he doesn't. Also, if people don't like something that doesn't mean they can't improve journalism regarding it.

Panayjon

Aug 12, 2008
Not to get into the debate itself, but one cannot judge Sessler based on X-Play. Its the web content that gets him any love.

Waffle_Man

Oct 14, 2010
I really, really want to avoid making comments to effect of "Finally, he was too good for that place! Everyone else on G4 constantly acted like they were too cool for the gig, but Adam seemed to care about what he did."

...but damn, it is difficult.

Zhukov

The Laughing Arsehole
Dec 29, 2009
I have no idea who this guy is, but I just watched the linked video and it was awesome.

Escapist, offer this guy a job!

Taunta

Dec 17, 2010
That's unfortunate. Adam was the only host on G4 that I actually enjoyed. I remember hearing him on NPR having a go at one woman who was all up in arms about how GTA4 "encourages drunk driving". I wanted to give him an applause, he managed to keep his cool when that woman was so idiotic.

But hopefully now he'll get a better job. I'd love to see him on the Escapist, but I think that's a pipe dream.

CruisingForBiddies

Oct 30, 2011
Jove said:
twaddle said:
GamerLuck said:
Xiado said:
Hire him, escapist. Get this guy before it's too late, he was one of the only reasons I went on G4, and probably my favorite person in the industry.
I'll second that!
I don't think escapist could afford him....maybe penny arcade could though
Simple, get rid of MovieBob, add Adam Sessler and his soapbox to the Escapist! Problem solved!

(seriously, just getting rid of MovieBob alone would be a plus! XD)
Why should the Escapist get rid of MovieBob?

Freechoice

Dec 6, 2010
CruisingForBiddies said:
Jove said:
twaddle said:
GamerLuck said:
Xiado said:
Hire him, escapist. Get this guy before it's too late, he was one of the only reasons I went on G4, and probably my favorite person in the industry.
I'll second that!
Simple, get rid of MovieBob, add Adam Sessler and his soapbox to the Escapist! Problem solved!

Because we have enough self-entitled fuckwits on the Escapist as it is. Removing Bob and getting Sessler wouldn't be -1/+1, it'd be +1/+1.

CruisingForBiddies

Oct 30, 2011
Freechoice said:
CruisingForBiddies said:
Jove said:
twaddle said:
GamerLuck said:
Xiado said:
I'll second that!

Because we have enough self-entitled fuckwits on the Escapist as it is. Removing Bob and getting Sessler wouldn't be -1/+1, it'd be +1/+1.
I'm sorry what? I cant tell if you are joking or not. MovieBob creates great content for this site with Escape to the Movies and The Big Picture. Even though I don't agree with his decision to voice his hatred for high-school he still makes great videos. And he doesn't come across as self-entitled at all... The irony here is killing me.

I-Protest-I

Nov 7, 2009
So many downer debbies in this thread.

Never knew the guy, watched a couple of videos though and he'd be great for The Escapist, he voices a strong opinion and knows his shit.

Epictank of Wintown

Jan 8, 2009
CruisingForBiddies said:
Freechoice said:
CruisingForBiddies said:
Jove said:
twaddle said:
GamerLuck said:
Xiado said:
I'll second that!

I'm sorry what? I cant tell if you are joking or not. MovieBob creates great content for this site with Escape to the Movies and The Big Picture. Even though I don't agree with his decision to voice his hatred for high-school he still makes great videos. And he doesn't come across as self-entitled at all... The irony here is killing me.
Are we talking the same Bob Chipman here? The same Bob Chipman that had a hissy fit when The Expendables did better at the box office than Scott Pilgrim vs The World did and flat-out insulted anyone, and I mean ANYONE, that went to see the Expendables? If I recall, he called them the lowest of low-class, knuckle-dragging, drooling neanderthals if they dared went to see a movie that he didn't particularly enjoy over a "meh" teenage high school drama with a hipster/video game take.

Yeah. Bob's more than a bit self-important.

CruisingForBiddies

Oct 30, 2011
Epictank of Wintown said:
Are we talking the same Bob Chipman here? The same Bob Chipman that had a hissy fit when The Expendables did better at the box office than Scott Pilgrim vs The World did and flat-out insulted anyone, and I mean ANYONE, that went to see the Expendables? If I recall, he called them the lowest of low-class, knuckle-dragging, drooling neanderthals if they dared went to see a movie that he didn't particularly enjoy over a "meh" teenage high school drama with a hipster/video game take.

Well Scott Pilgrim vs. the World is better than The Expendables...

Not the point, sure he can be pretty vocal about his opinions but surely the value of his work is slightly greater than his potential for hissy-fits? Also, when calling someone a 'self-entitled fuckwit' and suggesting they should be sacked because you don't like them is actually funny.

Yal

We are a rattlesnake
Dec 22, 2010
RaikuFA said:
Not in that video, but the reporter says hes trying to improve gaming journalism and yet...

That's a strange pair of reviews to go to the walls over. I've played both those games in the past year, my PS2 is still plugged in mostly because I'm still working through Gust's back library, but they're not really pinnacles of the genre. They're low budget affairs that do not compare well with AAA titles of any stripe, and I think they're exactly right to call them niche products.

Besides, if you fired all the reviewers who don't like JRPGs, there wouldn't be any left.

Freechoice

Dec 6, 2010
CruisingForBiddies said:
Epictank of Wintown said:

Well Scott Pilgrim vs. the World is better than The Expendables...

Not the point, sure he can be pretty vocal about his opinions but surely the value of his work is slightly greater than his potential for hissy-fits? Also, when calling someone a 'self-entitled fuckwit' and suggesting they should be sacked because you don't like them is actually funny.
The same Bob "the Movieman" Chipman that spent weeks bitching about Mass Effect fans not liking the ending and simultaneously glossing over their qualms without actually addressing them.

Despite never having played the games.

M0rp43vs

Most Refined Escapist
Jul 4, 2008
...Christ

Adam Sessler. It's been 6 years since I've even heard that name. When did he become bald? that's a nice beard.

I'm one of the few others who get nostalgic when hearing that name. I first watched extended play the few times it aired in my home town.
Then X-play came along and was a daily showing(re-runs mind you, but never a year old) and me and my siblings would watch it nearly religiously. And they didn't just do reviews, they often did sketches too(Though I can see why some people might not like them). I watched the show until some time into the G4 era where less emphasis was put on fun.

It's nice to hear about him again. I really hope he gets back on the saddle again. I think he was twice the Yahtzee, years before Yahtzee came along.