Adam Sessler Leaves G4

jackanderson

Sep 7, 2008
Thoric485 said:

Make it happen.
Oh, Maker! That clip! I can't stop laughing! Somebody help me!

OT: Sad to see the Sess go. I hope he finds a new home to rest his hat that's also not a total ballsac to work at.

ecoho

Jun 16, 2010
while im excited what he'll do next, im a bit sad that i cant just watch xplay for reveiws anymore:( and more importantly that blair is now going to have a permenant spot on xplay.......thats just disturbing.

Pariahwulfen

Mar 23, 2010
NameIsRobertPaulson said:
Mcoffey said:
CruisingForBiddies said:
Jove said:
twaddle said:
GamerLuck said:
Xiado said:
Hire him, escapist. Get this guy before it's too late, he was one of the only reasons I went on G4, and probably my favorite person in the industry.
I'll second that!
I don't think escapist could afford him....maybe penny arcade could though
Simple, get rid of MovieBob, add Adam Sessler and his soapbox to the Escapist! Problem solved!

(seriously, just getting rid of MovieBob alone would be a plus! XD)
Why should the Escapist get rid of MovieBob?
Do you want an numerated list, or should the usual argument suffice?

He is a 6-year old whiny brat when it comes to anything he doesn't like. Voicing it in one video? Fine. Bringing it up 4 videos in a row, in an unrelated video, yeah, no.

He did it with The Expendables, calling everyone who saw that and not Scott Pilgrim a worthless reject. And brought it up in four subsequent reviews. He did it with Fast Five. More recently, he's taken to calling everyone who hated the ME3 ending an entitled prat, bringing it up in 3 different videos or articles, despite having never played a Mass Effect game before.

He's a whiny hypocrite, who will lambaste someone for playing a game because it has tits in it (Dead or Alive) and then turn around and say that the tits and or sex were the best reason to see a movie (Piranha 3D and Black Swan).

THAT'S WHY!
Actually his bone was more with the Retakers and their childish antics. You don't need to play Mass Effect to see that they were being stupid. It wasn't about the ending, it was about their infantile behavior.

I don't remember him saying much about DoA, though, was that in Game Overthinker? I don't usually watch it because I'm more interested in his critiques of a subject than his "Storylines".

And I'm totally fine with him bringing up a point several times when it's a good one. Expendables was dog shit compared to Scott Pilgrim.

EDIT: On topic, i'm glad Sessler's leaving. As a kid I always liked X-Play and thought their skits were funny, but not funny enough to sit through most of the other shit they had, especially when they became less gaming focused.
Expendables was bad in your opinion. Which is fine. Now spending the next 4 posts telling everyone how everyone who saw the Expendables is a waste of life on this planet because they dare to disagree with you would be childish. Which is what Bob does on a semi-regular basis.

Personally, I liked the Expendables, and I hate Michael Cera, so that was an easy decision for me.
Yeah, you obviously didn't get what he was saying. If you went to watch the thing that you ***** about, instead of the thing you say you want to see made, THEN DON'T ***** ABOUT IT. He brought it up again and again because he could point to it and go "I went over this already, we're not going over it again".

godofallu

Jun 8, 2010
Adam Sessler is awesome. I can't wait to see him actually do something without Morgan Web's dumb ass ruining it.

TheOneBearded

Oct 31, 2011
Tanis said:
This is...kind of weird.

I've been watching this guy on TechTv/G4/etc since, well, 2001 or so.

He was one of the first 'reviews' (or w/e) that I actually FOLLOWED.

I haven't seen G4 on TV in some time because their weird with the cable packages, but, still...

DOOD!
It literally came out of nowhere. Here I am looking at the news section of the escapist and BOOM "Adam Sessler Leaves G4". He's the only reason why I go to their website (can't see it on tv), so....this really does suck.

Zydrate

Apr 1, 2009
The only guy that made G4 watchable. AoTs also lost the only two people I gave a crap about.

G4 is going to go under.

Saltyk

Sane among the insane.
Sep 12, 2010
Wow. There seems to be a lot of love for Adam in these comments. Gotta say, that I agree. I always like Adam on X-Play. I really hope he finds a new and better career.

Like others have said, a he would be a great asset to the Escapist. Doing a weekly Sessler Soapbox or reviews would be a must see video. I doubt the site can get or afford him, but I can dream.

ManaAdvent

Apr 16, 2010
Good for him and he was my favorite host on the show and I liked X Play before the intro of the new unfunny, boring and crappy format that was as interesting as CNN, and G4 was going down the pits as it slowly degraded into a SpikeTV clone.

DJDarque

Words
Aug 24, 2009
Pariahwulfen said:
Mcoffey said:
CruisingForBiddies said:
Jove said:
twaddle said:
GamerLuck said:
Xiado said:
Hire him, escapist. Get this guy before it's too late, he was one of the only reasons I went on G4, and probably my favorite person in the industry.
I'll second that!
I don't think escapist could afford him....maybe penny arcade could though
Simple, get rid of MovieBob, add Adam Sessler and his soapbox to the Escapist! Problem solved!

(seriously, just getting rid of MovieBob alone would be a plus! XD)
Why should the Escapist get rid of MovieBob?

He is a 6-year old whiny brat when it comes to anything he doesn't like. Voicing it in one video? Fine. Bringing it up 4 videos in a row, in an unrelated video, yeah, no.

He did it with The Expendables, calling everyone who saw that and not Scott Pilgrim a worthless reject. And brought it up in four subsequent reviews. He did it with Fast Five. More recently, he's taken to calling everyone who hated the ME3 ending an entitled prat, bringing it up in 3 different videos or articles, despite having never played a Mass Effect game before.

He's a whiny hypocrite, who will lambaste someone for playing a game because it has tits in it (Dead or Alive) and then turn around and say that the tits and or sex were the best reason to see a movie (Piranha 3D and Black Swan).

THAT'S WHY!
Actually his bone was more with the Retakers and their childish antics. You don't need to play Mass Effect to see that they were being stupid. It wasn't about the ending, it was about their infantile behavior.

I don't remember him saying much about DoA, though, was that in Game Overthinker? I don't usually watch it because I'm more interested in his critiques of a subject than his "Storylines".

And I'm totally fine with him bringing up a point several times when it's a good one. Expendables was dog shit compared to Scott Pilgrim.

EDIT: On topic, i'm glad Sessler's leaving. As a kid I always liked X-Play and thought their skits were funny, but not funny enough to sit through most of the other shit they had, especially when they became less gaming focused.
Expendables was bad in your opinion. Which is fine. Now spending the next 4 posts telling everyone how everyone who saw the Expendables is a waste of life on this planet because they dare to disagree with you would be childish. Which is what Bob does on a semi-regular basis.

Personally, I liked the Expendables, and I hate Michael Cera, so that was an easy decision for me.
Yeah, you obviously didn't get what he was saying. If you went to watch the thing that you ***** about, instead of the thing you say you want to see made, THEN DON'T ***** ABOUT IT. He brought it up again and again because he could point to it and go "I went over this already, we're not going over it again".
That acting on the incorrect assumption that Expendables is terrible waste product. That opinion existed in the mind of Bob, it does not apply to everyone else. His point afterwards was to call people who DID want the Expendables piles of shit, which is where the issue lies. What he said about Fast Five applies equally well here (since he used the Expendables bit there too)

"If you like this kind of thing, I guess I should be happy you're watching this and not operating a car or voting where you could do some real damage."

Awesome. REAL awesome.
I didn't bother seeing Expendables, but it really pissed me off that he insisted calling everyone who liked Fast Five a braindead dudebro.

He may claim to care about movies, but deep down he's just a nerd who never got over the fact that he was bullied in high school, and now he has a soapbox in which to complain about it and put down anything that doesn't fit into his little world.

Also, in my opinion, Scott Pilgrim vs. The World, aside from pandering to the gaming and geek culture, which everyone ate up, was an average movie at best. It was just as much of a "shut your brain off and eat some popcorn" flick that has no lasting effect he always complains about average movies being.

CruisingForBiddies

Oct 30, 2011

THAT'S WHY!
I guess you are right, I still really enjoy his work though... He has done some pretty petty things on this site, but I don't think he should be sacked.

Gilhelmi

The One Who Protects
Oct 22, 2009
Lord Beautiful said:
Holy shit. That's kind of awesome. I look forward to seeing what he does next. I've never been keen on the idea of giving G4 ratings when I want to get the latest word from Mr. Sessler.
I Think Morgan Webb was also part of the 'Old Guard'. I remember her being an intern when Leo Laport was still there.

I miss TechTV. Edward Norton and Leo Laport were true geeks, from the old school of geekery. Not this new 'Oh, it's sheik to be geek' crap out of the children. Leo, was like an old science class teacher showing us how to do basic hacking and REAL computer skills.

Now the only thing worth watching is 'Bomb Patrol: Afghanistan'.

Grape_Bullion

Mar 8, 2012
It's about time. iPhones are more relevant to gaming than G4 is.

It was all over when Big C and "Street Cars" or whatever it was showed up. Bye bye Diane Mizota ;_;

Aeonknight

Apr 8, 2011
Sessler was not my favorite reviewer. Mainly because he couldn't pass up an opportunity to take jabs at a few select fanbases (Final Fantasy anyone?), and because he coined that idiot phrase of Cloud being emo before emo was emo and all of a sudden it spread like wild fire because all the little drones hang on his every word.

I do respect his opinion and consider it valid, I just disagree. And even I'll admit that some of the flack he's gotten over the past few years he doesn't deserve at all.

Inco

Swarm Agent
Sep 12, 2008
I hope he continues to make his soapboxes detailing a specific aspect of the industry. It's good because it will get you thinking and even if you do find that he is the wrong, his explanation of his viewpoint will almost always justify his position.

Being said, I remember watching xplay waaaaaay back when I was younger, when it was a mix between sketch comedy and game reviews. When it had supporting characters like "the interns", Johnny Xtreme and the classic Canadian Guy and sometimes featured them to review games in a comedic (yet still informative) matter. I stopped watching it when they became more "serious" and cut the gags down severly, focusing instead on trailers, reviews and previews (what I use the internet for).

Hey, Escapist, If you can pick him up for the Soapbox and maybe some guest reviews that would be fantastic. :D