Adaptations of The Divine Comedy

doomgaze3

Nov 29, 2007
Seeing as how Dante's Inferno is a hot topic nowadays, I was wondering: I've always wanted to "read" The Divine Comedy, but I hate reading verse. Does anyone know of any books that do a straight adaptation of the work in a novelization-like form?

Latinidiot

Feb 19, 2009
BLASPHEMY!

try getting to a booksite on google, and try divine comedy novel in the sites search engine.

Iwata

Feb 25, 2010
I'm not sure about that. I had a student's guide that accompanied the poem with a more staightforward plot, but it was in college, and quite a few years ago...

Hawgh

Dec 24, 2007
I've read it in what I remember as quite straightforward novel-form, so I guess it's out there

doomgaze3

Nov 29, 2007
I don't have a problem understanding it in prose, I just can't enjoy reading it. I was searching around and I found a version by an author named Kathryn Lindskoog, but nobody seems to have Purgatory in stock. :(

Anyway, this author seems to have the right idea: Put it into clear english paragraphs that read like a novel instead of a poem.

For extra emphasis: I really hate reading verse.

Metropocalypse

Aug 22, 2009
There's the Penguin Classics [http://www.amazon.co.uk/Divine-Comedy-Inferno-Penguin-Classics/dp/0142437220/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1267372638&sr=8-1] adaptations. They over it in easily accessible verses with frequent notes to guide the reader through the books.

reg42

Mar 18, 2009
doomgaze3 said:
I don't have a problem understanding it in prose, I just can't enjoy reading it. I was searching around and I found a version by an author named Kathryn Lindskoog, but nobody seems to have Purgatory in stock. :(

Anyway, this author seems to have the right idea: Put it into clear english paragraphs that read like a novel instead of a poem.

For extra emphasis: I really hate prose.
Prose is regular speaking.

Mother Yeti

May 31, 2008
doomgaze3 said:
Seeing as how Dante's Inferno is a hot topic nowadays, I was wondering: I've always wanted to "read" The Divine Comedy, but I hate reading verse. Does anyone know of any books that do a straight adaptation of the work in a novelization-like form?
Why is "read" in quotes?

But yeah, it's a poem. Prose translations of poems are almost universally terrible. (See also the works of Homer.) Either read it the way it was intended or don't read it at all.

doomgaze3

Nov 29, 2007
reg42: Noted and corrected. :)

Mother Yeti: "read" in quotes was alluding to the fact that I don't really want to endure reading it in verse. The only thing worse than reading classical poetry translated directly from italian to english would be reading Dune again.

malestrithe

Aug 18, 2008
reg42 said:
Why would you want to read it like that? It's like having Shakespear where they stupidly modernise everything. Yuck, can you imagine that?
It is not a complete modernization because they kept the original language. Captain Prince would not have spoken High English in a modern setting. He would have said something like, "now you mother fuckers better stop this shit or I will take you to jail."

A modern variant of Romeo and Juliet would be West Side Story, where everything, including the language, was modernized.

As for the original topic, there are a lot of modern updates of the Divine Comedy. There is one called Pilgrim's Progress that was the Divine Comedy, but made protestant by Bunyan.

Halceon

Jan 31, 2009
doomgaze3 said:
reg42: Noted and corrected. :)

Mother Yeti: "read" in quotes was alluding to the fact that I don't really want to endure reading it in verse. The only thing worse than reading classical poetry translated directly from italian to english would be reading Dune again.
BLASPHEMY!! Oh, somebody said that already... nevermind.

Dec 29, 2008
now I agree with this guy sometimes because of the writting style of older works it can be hard to understand. However if you start reading this stuff eventually it will start to sink in.

doomgaze3

Nov 29, 2007
Check this out: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/086554543X/ref=oss_product

Nice, paragraphized format, accurate translation with a bit of clarification sprinkled into the text for cultural and historical background. It even has footnotes. Take a look at the inside to see what I'm talking about. I'm gonna put this on order, I think.

Now, because most of you seem opposed to reading anything but the original text, why would you insist on reading it like that? I'm not academically interested in the text - I'm interested in a good read. And to that effect, why shouldn't I read this version? Also, has anyone else read The Divine Comedy in verse? How was it?

Lono Shrugged

May 7, 2009
I imagine Wikipedia breaks it down well enough. And as for anyone who says you need to read it straight: Bear in mind it is translated so most of the subtleyfulness is lost. I got a nice large hardback copy of the English translation a few years ago and it's a book you really have to study and read over and over like the Canterbury tales or the Epic of Gilgamesh. I'd recommend reading it from the translation purely because it will open up a whole world of reading if you can learn to enjoy it.