Adventure Time Card Game Launching This Month

BlameTheWizards

Jun 1, 2009
Adventure Time Card Game Launching This Month

I floop the pig!

For you Adventure Time fans who have been rewatching the episode Card Wars over and over, wondering what it would be like to send Husker Knights and Cool Dogs to fight among the corn fields, Cryptozoic has heard your prayers. Launching on Feb. 19 is the company's new customizable card game, Adventure Time: Card Wars, which will arrive in both physical and digital varieties.

Comparisons to card game king Magic: The Gathering are inevitable, and, according to a write-up on Kotaku, fairly accurate. Each turn, players will be able to spend Action Points on Creatures, Spells or Locations to play from their hand. And, of course, some cards will have unique FLOOP abilities that activate a special power. The player who reduces their opponent's Hit Points to zero is officially declared the Cool Guy of the game.

For people looking for physical cards, two starter boxes will be available at the cost of $20, each containing a pair of decks. One will pit Finn's Blue Plains Deck against Jake's Corn Deck while the other will feature BMO's Useless Swamp Deck against Lady Rainicorn's Sandy Lands Deck.

As for the digital side, developer King Fu Factory will be releasing Adventure Time: Card Wars: The Mobile Game on iOS. The digital game will feature 20 playable characters and craftable cards in addition to features such as tournament battles and a holographic game board. And for you obsessive-compulsive collector types, the physical cards will have redeemable codes for extra digital cards. The mobile game will cost you $3.99, plus other in-app purchases, one of which <a href=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YV10eE4WqIc>better be a cup of Dweeb Pop to force the loser to drink.

Source: <a href=http://kotaku.com/a-real-adventure-time-card-game-and-a-digital-one-all-1518441914>Kotaku

Quiet Stranger

Feb 4, 2006
Oh man I can't wait for this! I'm going to buy all four decks as soon as I can!! This is so exciting, I hope my girlfriend never learns of this so I can buy them and surprise her!

balladbird

Master of Lancer
Legacy
Jan 25, 2012
Country
United States
Chaosritter said:
First MLP and now Adventure Time?

Does every cartoon with peripheral demographic get a TCG now?
*shrug* eh, at least in this case the collectible card game is actually part of the series' canon.

Things are pretty tame now, honestly. back in 05-06, when the anime boom reached its peak, every new series to hit the action block was guaranteed to have a card game made out of it. I still own some of the booster packs I bought for novelty back in my high school days. DBZ, yugioh, Yu Yu Hakusho, fullmetal Alchemist, Inu Yasha, gundam.... good times.

JonB

Don't Take Crap from Life
Sep 16, 2012
AngryMongoose said:
Note that this is different from the Adventure Time Munchkin launching later this year.
Both different and far less anticipated in the Escapist offices.

Would anyone like to see a review of this card game, if we can get our hands on a copy?

RaikuFA

Jun 12, 2009
balladbird said:
Chaosritter said:

*shrug* eh, at least in this case the collectible card game is actually part of the series' canon.

Things are pretty tame now, honestly. back in 05-06, when the anime boom reached its peak, every new series to hit the action block was guaranteed to have a card game made out of it. I still own some of the booster packs I bought for novelty back in my high school days. DBZ, yugioh, Yu Yu Hakusho, fullmetal Alchemist, Inu Yasha, gundam.... good times.
Don't forget .hack. Got the starter, was the worst CCG I ever tried.

balladbird

Master of Lancer
Legacy
Jan 25, 2012
Country
United States
JonB said:

Would anyone like to see a review of this card game, if we can get our hands on a copy?
I can't speak for others, but I'd be interested, personally. If the mechanics are as much fun as the episode the game's based on, I could totally get into it.

weirdee

Swamp Weather Balloon Gas
Apr 11, 2011
yeah, i'm wondering how they could possibly make the cards as silly and unpredictable irl as they were in the show

JonB

Don't Take Crap from Life
Sep 16, 2012
balladbird said:
JonB said:

I can't speak for others, but I'd be interested, personally. If the mechanics are as much fun as the episode the game's based on, I could totally get into it.
weirdguy said:
yeah, i'm wondering how they could possibly make the cards as silly and unpredictable irl as they were in the show
My hope is that they'd end up a lot like Munchkin - predictable enough for strategy, random enough for "WTF?!" moments.

Starke

Mar 6, 2008
balladbird said:
Chaosritter said:

The old CCG market was just nuts. Back in the 90s, there were CCGs rolling out for everything. Three different White Wolf games rated CCGs. Werewolf, Vampire, and Changling. Yes, Changling. Werewolf sort of got two different CCGs. Not counting the non-collectible game from FFG, Star Wars has had four separate CCGs. There have been at least two different Lord of the Rings CCGs, one based on the Peter Jackson films and one predating it. There was a 40k CCG, a Warhammer Fantasy CCG, the Game of Thrones CCG dates back to around 2000. Babylon 5, Aliens Vs. Predator (before the AvP films started rolling out, when it was just a comics crossover), Terminator (which was semi-compatible with AvP cards), X-Files (which later had most of it's rules revived in a Scooby Doo CCG)... There was a Tomb Raider CCG. Lots of RPGs ended up with CCG tie ins, Deadlands, Legend of the Five Rings, (I think) Legends of the Burning Sands, RIFTs, Shadowrun, and Cyberpunk 2020 (I know I'm forgetting more here.) Star of the Guardians, an obscure four novel Sci-Fi series rated a CCG. Star Trek had at least 3, with a fourth one now (that might just be a dominion clone). There was a freakin Wheel of Time CCG at one point. There have been at least two different Lovecraft themed CCGs, Mythos and Call of Cthulhu. TSR released a couple D&D games, Blood Wars, based on the Planescape setting, and (I think) Spellfire, which was a massive D&D adaptation to cards, including stuff from Forgotten Realms, Dark Sun, and Ravenloft. And I'm not even scratching the surface here.

To say nothing of Ani-Mayhem, a grab bag of different Anime licenses, bundled together as a single game. Incidentally that produced a self contained DBZ set, and then DBZ rated its own game a few years later. I think it also includes stuff from Inu Yasha, but I'm not sure.

So, the Anime saturation isn't really that surprising in context.

snave

Nov 10, 2009
No ARG component? I admit I'm disappointed.

We have the technology now to be able to play the card game, but also optionally run a view of the board through a smartphone via the inbuilt camera and superimpose the 3d "holograms" shown in the episode on the phone's display. This was both a core component of the game on the episode, and something we have the technology to produce affordably to some extent, using devices players most likely own already. Not to mention such a gimmick would pretty much push this game into the spotlight for non-card game enthusiasts. It begs the question of why such a route was passed over.

AngryMongoose

Elite Member
Jan 18, 2010
balladbird said:
Chaosritter said:

Ofcourse, now a ton of series are consolidated under the Weiß Schwarz TCG.

PMAvers

May 27, 2009
RaikuFA said:
balladbird said:
Chaosritter said:

I'm going to disagree with that, the .hack//ENEMY game was a ton of fun. Incredibly brutal, but fun. A local shop ran tournaments every week, and I tried to go to as many as I could.

Earth/Heavy Blade goblins 4 lyfe.

Also respect that you knew going in that it was only going to run for a fixed number of expansions.

Back to the AT game, it's not really a TCG, it's just in the TCG gameplay style. It sounds like there's no boosters, just new decks they'll release with new cards in them.

JSoup

Jun 14, 2012
RaikuFA said:
balladbird said:
Chaosritter said:

For me it would be the Monster Rancher CCG. My local comic shop couldn't sell them, so they just started giving them away just to get rid of the things. The rules made no sense and the cards were printed on crappy, grainy cardboard. First edition set though, so there was that.

critanime

Oct 13, 2009
Starke said:
balladbird said:
Chaosritter said:

The old CCG market was just nuts. Back in the 90s, there were CCGs rolling out for everything. Three different White Wolf games rated CCGs. Werewolf, Vampire, and Changling. Yes, Changling. Werewolf sort of got two different CCGs. Not counting the non-collectible game from FFG, Star Wars has had four separate CCGs. There have been at least two different Lord of the Rings CCGs, one based on the Peter Jackson films and one predating it. There was a 40k CCG, a Warhammer Fantasy CCG, the Game of Thrones CCG dates back to around 2000. Babylon 5, Aliens Vs. Predator (before the AvP films started rolling out, when it was just a comics crossover), Terminator (which was semi-compatible with AvP cards), X-Files (which later had most of it's rules revived in a Scooby Doo CCG)... There was a Tomb Raider CCG. Lots of RPGs ended up with CCG tie ins, Deadlands, Legend of the Five Rings, (I think) Legends of the Burning Sands, RIFTs, Shadowrun, and Cyberpunk 2020 (I know I'm forgetting more here.) Star of the Guardians, an obscure four novel Sci-Fi series rated a CCG. Star Trek had at least 3, with a fourth one now (that might just be a dominion clone). There was a freakin Wheel of Time CCG at one point. There have been at least two different Lovecraft themed CCGs, Mythos and Call of Cthulhu. TSR released a couple D&D games, Blood Wars, based on the Planescape setting, and (I think) Spellfire, which was a massive D&D adaptation to cards, including stuff from Forgotten Realms, Dark Sun, and Ravenloft. And I'm not even scratching the surface here.

To say nothing of Ani-Mayhem, a grab bag of different Anime licenses, bundled together as a single game. Incidentally that produced a self contained DBZ set, and then DBZ rated its own game a few years later. I think it also includes stuff from Inu Yasha, but I'm not sure.

There was a store in my local town in the 90's that had every single card game going. I would walk in and I think I bought starter decks for pretty much most of them at some point or other. Including one for SimCity. Sim sodding City....

In fact just this list (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_collectible_card_games) is a trip down a very rocky nostalgia road.

Starke

Mar 6, 2008
critanime said:
Starke said:
balladbird said:
Chaosritter said:

There was a store in my local town in the 90's that had every single card game going. I would walk in and I think I bought starter decks for pretty much most of them at some point or other. Including one for SimCity. Sim sodding City....

In fact just this list (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_collectible_card_games) is a trip down a very rocky nostalgia road.
Oh god, I completely forgot about Sim City, and it's twenty city specific expansion packs, or it's weirdly shaped cards that were just there to mess with your ability to store them.