Adventure Time

1Life0Continues

Not a Gamer, I Just Play Games
Jul 8, 2013
I apologise if this has been asked before. I did a forum search that yielded no similar results, but I apologise in advance all the same.

First topic post and all that. Now on to the subject at hand.

I don't "get" Adventure Time. I watched a couple episodes (out of order most likely) and the only thing I took away from them was "random is funny."

Am I too old at just 29 to get this show? People say it's deep and has great storylines, but I only see shallow puerile humour that would make anyone over the age of 12 shake their head. Am I truly missing something?

Anyone got some insight? A recommendation on "must watch" episodes that might explain some things? I'm genuinely curious about this show that seems to have taken so many people by storm, my wife included (who is older than I am making me even more confused). She can't explain it to me outside of 'it's fun' which doesn't explain anything to me.

Please escapist. Help me. I want to belong! /sarcasm

But seriously, can anyone explain?

Thanks in advance.

Pink Gregory

Jul 30, 2008
You're wondering why you don't 'get' what is ostensibly a children's cartoon at 29.

...That doesn't seem normal to you?

Trying to make yourself like something is only going to make you dislike it.

Think the thing about the storyline fascination is more about the world in which it's set - being quite clearly post-apocalyptic and all that.

I love Adventure Time. I don't see why everyone should.

AustinN

Dec 31, 2013
Adventure Time is a good show, but it's so weird that it takes a few episodes to really get a sense of the characters and the world. Adventure does have several deep story lines, but the show didn't start out that way. It was a gradual process. You also have to realize that the show has over 100 episodes, specially 156 by now. There are many episodes that are just random stuff, without any connection to the long running plotlines. Occasionally some of that random stuff becomes important later.

There's no guarantee that you'd end up liking the show, but I think the simplest explanation for why you haven't had the same experience as others is because you haven't watched the right episodes.

Scarim Coral

Jumped the ship
Legacy
Oct 29, 2010
Country
UK
One of the things I liekd about Adventure Time is it is somewhat nostalgia in a way with its randomness at time (it kind of like along the line with Looney Toons). Yeah the show does got meanings/ deep that is it happend later on in the episodes.

Artina89

Oct 27, 2008
I personally really like Adventure time but as with everything else, it will not be to everyone's taste. Not everyone has the same sense of humour and that is fine. It has already been mentioned in this thread, but the early episodes were not connected to each other, but as time went on, there were some stories that did end up interconnecting, like Treetrunks quest for the crystal gem apple which is the earliest example I can think of where there was more than one episode on that particular topic.

Someone Depressing

Jan 16, 2011
What I really like about is its simplistic yet deep (and meaningfull) art that can get pretty complex (something that Natasha Allegri does really well) and the odd world that it's set up in.

It's not for everyone, of course... I mean, what the hell is up with his hat? Hat enthusiasts weren't expected to be a demographic of the show's, and it shows.

Yuno Gasai

Queen of Yandere
Nov 6, 2010
I watched the first few episodes a year or so ago, and didn't really get into it. I really liked the character design (and some of the phrases/screencaps I'd seen from the show), but when I actually sat down to watch it the first time, I didn't like it. I don't know if that's because I had preconceived notions of what the show would be like or what - but it didn't really gel with me.

A few weeks ago, I was up early and there was nothing on TV - then I saw that Adventure Time was on Cartoon Network. I don't know which episode it was, but it heavily featured Marceline and the Ice King and I really, really enjoyed it. Recently, I went back and started watching the series again - I'm enjoying it a lot more this time around.

I don't know if it's more to do with my headspace when I first started watching it, or simply familiarity? If all else fails, you can always try selecting episodes at random rather than watching them in order. They don't really seem to have a logical progression anyway.

NuclearKangaroo

Feb 7, 2014
the first season isnt anything to wirte hope about, but since the end of the second season onwards is an amazing and touching tale, one of the greatest cartoons of our time, i could give you suggestions on which episodes to watch

L. Declis

Apr 19, 2012
It has a dog with Bender's voice. I don't know what else you need in an entertainment medium.

But seriously, it's not bad. Or great. Personally, just go onto the Wiki page. Pick any episode which has it's own page on Wikipedia. You'll watch about 12. Those are the interesting and important ones. The rest are very 'meh' if you're not really into it.

But basically, it's D&D with the appearance of a child program which will reference things like abandonment, the loss of your own mind, crushing loneliness and the distancing of yourself to escape it, unrequited love which pushes onto someone else, selfishness in relationships, and so on. But it hides them behind pretty cartoons and D&D (and the mentality that a PC played straight would have) jokes.

vashthblackseed

Mar 31, 2011
Most episodes of their own, especially if you only look at the surface, are meant for children. However, if you start looking at the background scenery carefully as well as pay attention to the history of Ooo, you begin to realize how messed up a world they live in.
Take for instance the Ice King. He was a normal human driven insane by a magical crown (which allowed him to survive a nuclear and/or magical apocalypse). His obsession with Princesses stems from referring to his fiancée Betty as a princess (whom he scared off during one of the crown's possessions).

Personally I would try and hunt down, "I remember you", "Simon & Marcy", "Betty", "Holly Jolly Secrets Part II", "Mortal Folly", and "The Lich". Each of these contain a decent chuck of Ooo's history while being entertaining story. (Warning: these episodes are not in order and some will contain spoilers for other episodes.)

My personal take of the show is something that a parent and child can sit down and watch together, and both enjoy. The more you watch and the deeper you look, the more complex and interesting their world becomes... and then you'll hit a off the wall silly spot.

Last but not least, I'd hope onto Youtube of such and look for "Marceline - I'm Just Your Problem"

Risingblade

Mar 15, 2010
The Nostalgia critic is doing some v-blogs about the show, you could always watch those. Anyways you kinda have to watch most of the episode to appreciate those random deep moments it has.

wulf3n

Mar 12, 2012
1Life0Continues said:
Am I truly missing something?
A sense of humour perhaps?

1Life0Continues said:
but I only see shallow puerile humour that would make anyone over the age of 12 shake their head.
Or maybe you're just having difficulty watching the show from up there on your high horse. :p

1Life0Continues said:
the only thing I took away from them was "random is funny."
Well random is funny. There is a theory about certain types of humour that work by subverting what the brain anticipates causing humour. That's obviously a butchered explanation, for a better one see Vsauce [https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_6nSOgsI_vo#t=06m57s]

Ieyke

Jul 24, 2008
1Life0Continues said:
I apologise if this has been asked before. I did a forum search that yielded no similar results, but I apologise in advance all the same.

First topic post and all that. Now on to the subject at hand.

I don't "get" Adventure Time. I watched a couple episodes (out of order most likely) and the only thing I took away from them was "random is funny."

Am I too old at just 29 to get this show? People say it's deep and has great storylines, but I only see shallow puerile humour that would make anyone over the age of 12 shake their head. Am I truly missing something?

Anyone got some insight? A recommendation on "must watch" episodes that might explain some things? I'm genuinely curious about this show that seems to have taken so many people by storm, my wife included (who is older than I am making me even more confused). She can't explain it to me outside of 'it's fun' which doesn't explain anything to me.

Please escapist. Help me. I want to belong! /sarcasm

But seriously, can anyone explain?

Thanks in advance.
You may have watched the first few episodes in order.
DO NOT judge the show by those.
They are batshit crazy and make no sense.
The show actually DOES have a deep world and plot and everything makes sense....they just don't bother explaining jack shit for the first several episodes.
Why? No idea.

It's a great show, but I was terribly put off by the "random" of the first several episodes too.

Hero of Lime

Staaay Fresh!
Jun 3, 2013
I would just suggest watching more, there are a lot of things to like about it, but you have to let it grow on you. I really liked it pretty much after the first few episodes, the first episode was OK, but everything after that was great. One thing I love about it is that it keeps themes and jokes in the series, rather than just letting good ideas exist in one episode, only to never be mentioned again.

However, you also don't have to like it despite its popularity, if it is not good to you, then it's good to you plain and simple. If you have to make a thread asking people to tell you why you should like it, I don't think you ever will.

prowll

Aug 19, 2008
There are two camps, one camp loves the show, the other camp has taste. Welcome brother!

Owyn_Merrilin

May 22, 2010
I used to describe the show as "the result of a bunch of frat guys dropping acid, and then playing D&D." As the show went on, though, it's more like they sobered up, but kept all the weird stuff that already existed, while building a surprisingly deep backstory and ongoing story in the present. The first season is pretty much nothing but wacky adventures, the fifth season is pretty much nothing but ongoing plot, but set up in a way where you won't realize it's /not/ random adventures unless you've been following the show. It's kind of a unique setup, I'm not sure what to compare it to.

Owyn_Merrilin

May 22, 2010
vashthblackseed said:
Most episodes of their own, especially if you only look at the surface, are meant for children. However, if you start looking at the background scenery carefully as well as pay attention to the history of Ooo, you begin to realize how messed up a world they live in.
Take for instance the Ice King. He was a normal human driven insane by a magical crown (which allowed him to survive a nuclear and/or magical apocalypse). His obsession with Princesses stems from referring to his fiancée Betty as a princess (whom he scared off during one of the crown's possessions).

Personally I would try and hunt down, "I remember you", "Simon & Marcy", "Betty", "Holly Jolly Secrets Part II", "Mortal Folly", and "The Lich". Each of these contain a decent chuck of Ooo's history while being entertaining story. (Warning: these episodes are not in order and some will contain spoilers for other episodes.)

My personal take of the show is something that a parent and child can sit down and watch together, and both enjoy. The more you watch and the deeper you look, the more complex and interesting their world becomes... and then you'll hit a off the wall silly spot.

Last but not least, I'd hope onto Youtube of such and look for "Marceline - I'm Just Your Problem"
Not just insane, Ice King basically has magical Alzheimer's. They first started making him kind of tragic with Holly Jolly Secrets, but he was still mostly just a goofy old nutball. Then I Remember You and especially Simon and Marcy made it really, really obvious. It's something a kid watching it might not get, but for an adult watching it, it's a really depressing (but in a good way) story, especially if you've ever known anyone who had Alzheimer's in real life.

V4Viewtiful

Feb 12, 2014
You don't need to "get" Adventure Time, it's like a gem, either it infects you or it passes through your system.

Oh and it's not really random, almost everything is connected but leave explanations as an afterthought till they care to do a story about it (like why they only have 3 fingers).

It's a show set up with the intention of emulating how a child would play around, and it works.

AustinN

Dec 31, 2013
Someone Depressing said:
What I really like about is its simplistic yet deep (and meaningfull) art that can get pretty complex (something that Natasha Allegri does really well) and the odd world that it's set up in.

It's not for everyone, of course... I mean, what the hell is up with his hat? Hat enthusiasts weren't expected to be a demographic of the show's, and it shows.
Finn's HAT! IS! AWESOOOME!

(That was a reference to the pilot for those who don't know. I felt it had to be said.)