Advice on computer build

EternalFacepalm

Feb 1, 2011
I've been looking for a new build recently, as my current laptop can barely hold up to Source games, and I came up with this build:

Processor: Intel® Core i5-3470
Power Supply: XFX ProSeries Core Edition 550W PSU
CPU Cooler: Corsair H60 Hydro Series
Motherboard: MSI B75MA-P45, Socket-1155
RAM: Kingston DDR3 HyperX 1600MHz 16GB
Graphics Card: ASUS GeForce GTX 670 2GB PhysX CUDA
SSD: Kingston SSDNow V200+ 120GB 2.5"
HDD: Western Digital® Desktop Black 1TB

It comes around to about $2000 (configuration through a Norwegian website [www.komplett.no] that then builds it, as separate parts don't really save much money). This is with accessories such as a keyboard and a screen, the latter being the most expensive at 173 dollars. Would this build work fine? Does anything need to be modified?

Thanks!

Occams_Razor

Not as new as you may think...
Oct 20, 2012
Hmm, looks like a solid gaming rig to me. Only a couple things I might change. If its within reason, consider a 240GB SSD rather than a 120. I have a 120 in my rig now, and I am finding it a -bit- restrictive, its perfectly manageable though.

Also, you might think about getting a 750W PSU as opposed to a 550, the setup you have right there is going to be drawing a lot of power, so its better to be safe than sorry.

Otherwise, looks great! Should kill any game currently on the market.

thesilentman

What this
Jun 14, 2012
I usually say throw an i7 in there to be future-proof, but the i5 should work well. The SSD thing, like Occams_Razor said, may fill fast so you'll want to take a bigger SSD. Also, get an after market cooler if you're planning to overclock your CPU.

Looks good though, so I won't nitpick. :)

Hazy992

Why does this place still exist
Aug 1, 2010
EternalFacepalm said:
You can't overclock that CPU so an aftermarket cooler isn't really necessary. Stick with the stock cooler if you want to save some money.

Drop to 8GB of RAM. You really don't need 16GB for gaming.

The PSU should be fine but you might want to get something bigger to be safe and give yourself room for upgrades.

If it's just a boot drive then the SSD is fine, but if you wanna put games on it you might want to get a bigger one as you'll run out of space fast.