Aerannis Puts Stealth Action Gameplay in a Post-Feminist Dystopia

Lieju

Jan 4, 2009
Kathinka said:
No one said or implied that they shouldn't include minorities as protagonists. No one. It's not a bad thing, I'm just spitballing here. Not everything is an attack.

And a Parody doesn't have to be over the top. It can be light-handed, subtle and only hinted. I also just brought up the possibility. Just threw out the idea. I obviously can't know without having played the game.

Again, not every innocent musing or idea is an attack on someones political agenda.
Uuuh, wut?
An attack on a what now?
Are we having the same conversation here?

I was just baffled people would be so used to white cishet men being the standard they'd think this kind of protagonist goes into a parody-territory, and then it was you who started with the name-calling... Very mature by the way.

An Ceannaire said:
Lieju said:
Let's see, ramgling about the GG and Tumblr,(despite the article not mentioning either), people's mind being blown at the idea of a protagonist being two different minorities (which says something depressing about the media they consume)...

And hilariously, people trying to decide if their imaginary SJW-boogeywomyn will burn their bras in anger at this or drool over the game.
Well, you've clearly set out which side of the fence you sit on. And that's fine. But people are perfectly entitled to sit on the other. But despite assuming that your side has the moral high ground, you don't see to be above belittling those on the other side of the fence.

Seriously, the irony that surfaces in any of these threads relating to GG or Social Justice topics is baffling.
Yup, it was definitely me who started with the name-calling and claiming they have the high ground. Somehow. In some debate we are having. Ethics in game journalism?
I can't even get upset at this and the level of discussion on this forum anymore.

My comment about the GG and Tumblr didn't even take a bloody 'side', it was just that it was predictable those topics would pop up...
Similarly frustrating is how people make up imaginary people for them to be upset about.

Which 'SJWs' have complained about this?
And yet we have already several people upset (or gleeful) at the thought of imaginary people reacting to it.

Stop making up controversies and problems.

JoJo

and the Amazing Technicolour Dream Goat 🐐
Legacy
Mar 31, 2010
Country
🇬🇧
blackrave said:
Dragonlayer said:
Also: you people know that saying "Bulgarian Turk transgender is political correctness insanity!" is like saying "English born American homosexual is political correctness insanity!", right? It's not the madness of PC to have someone of two nationalities....
I have one issue with this.
How far in the future this game is set?
It took my family only 3 generations to go from more or less pure nationalities to me (I'm basically genetic Voltron)
So it wouldn't be too crazy of assumption that in 50 or 100 years words "Bulgarian Turk" would be meaningless.
Most of the world is not America, even countries like the UK and the Netherlands which are considered among the most multicultural in the Old World are still around 80% their native ethnicity and people tend to marry into their own groups more often than not, or be absorbed into the native population after a couple generations. I consider myself to only be English for example, even if strictly by blood I'm about a quarter German and Danish. Nationalities aren't going to disappear any time soon and that isn't a bad thing, diversity is good :)

Lightknight

Mugwamp Supreme
Nov 26, 2008
Huh... I started reading the article ready to roll my eyes so hard they'd snap. But the setup of the game sounds really interesting. The social context and the conflicts of interest. Could be really well written.

Hmm, I guess I'll have to put this game on the radar.

PsychicTaco115

I've Been Having These Weird Dreams Lately...
Legacy
Mar 17, 2012
Country
United States
Well, it definitely stands out from the rest of the pack

If anywhere this kind of thing would get support, it would be Kickstarter/indie scene so... Yeah, let's see how it goes

*dodges any political talk*

Riot3000

Oct 7, 2013
Ok first off let me surmise this is in a list of things that can kick rocks in this thread.
Feminism bashing
Gamergate bashing
sjw vs whatever
tumblr bashing
all the smug duck reponses
and the fact that the rules cause for this mildy passive aggressive posting manner.

My intake from this game for what I know about is that is that I know for a fact that I want this soundtrack because it is bangin.

And a side not nothing can ever compete against the pretentious sewer dump that was Gone Home so lets not nutshot it yet.

Skatologist

Choke On Your Nazi Cookies
Jan 25, 2014
On the game: Well, it looks like I'll probably enjoy this game, just a bit suspicious how big the story will play into since, in my experience, retro throwback games place story as a secondary issue when gameplay is what is focused on. Not that it's a bad thing, I'm just wondering in what way the story will be presented.

On people's responses: Well, as others have already said, this game isn't a "jab" at feminism, it seems to be set in a world that claims to have achieved all the goals of feminism[footnote] Under which branch of feminism I'm unsure [/footnote], but in actually, hasn't really changed for the better. It seems to be something along the lines of a conflict between trans exclusion feminism/female supremacy/straw feminism and trans inclusive feminism, whether or not it wants to construct itself that way is only a guess now.

It seems, however, they are having the divide between radical feminism and some other form of feminism or equality movement/viewpoint. This doesn't greatly trouble me, but it seems TERF is the only form of radical feminism anyone knows. Granted, I do not trust a person calling themselves a radical feminist since they generally are filled with the most extreme and bigoted positions, as expected. Many are against all forms of sex work, they have paranoia regarding LGBT issues, and as we already know, a good chunk are just plain conspiratorial and bigoted against trans people.[footnote] Okay, if yo didn't know, they view transwomen as failed effeminate men in the culture brought down to the status of women for failing living up to gender norms of men and transmen as women plying for male privileges. Both views seem incredibly stupid to me.[/footnote]

If I'm not mistaken, radical feminism varies in definition, but the common thread seems to be that it focuses mostly upon poor female treatment in a social structure where men have traditionally held primary power. Its focus on this separates it from many other forms of feminism that may focus on other social/political issues that may or may not be tied solely to women. BTW, if you see someone bring up such issues or talk in a similar way, it does not necessarily mean that they are a radical feminist, since there is a ton of overlap between many feminist viewpoints as I'm finding out.

Jan 27, 2011
Lieju said:
Kathinka said:
Calm down there, snowflake.
You shall refer to me by my actual title.
It's The Great Snow-Queen of the undead horde, you peasant. I got enough special snowflakes under my command to build a rather impressive snowman.
Wait wait wait...So you're telling me that if I use a bunch of "special snowflake" people when making a strawman argument, I'll get a SNOWMAN argument instead?!

:eek: This. Is. AMAZING! This needs to be experimented on!

---

On this thread:
Mmm...Immaturity from all sides. Gotta love this (almost?) post-GG internet. Where no matter the topic, it will show up and people will devolve into Passive-Aggressive-Combat no matter what "side" they're on.

Personally, I'm still interested to see where the game goes. Hopefully it's good. If not, no big loss.

Lieju

Jan 4, 2009
aegix drakan said:
Lieju said:
Kathinka said:
It's The Great Snow-Queen of the undead horde, you peasant. I got enough special snowflakes under my command to build a rather impressive snowman.
Wait wait wait...So you're telling me that if I use a bunch of "special snowflake" people when making a strawman argument, I'll get a SNOWMAN argument instead?!
I can't believe you!
How dare you suggest that Tri-gender demisexual otherkin are PLANNING TO STEAL CHRISTMAS!!?

Everyone knows that's what Sarkeesian is up to, so there is your argument obliterated, aegix drakan.

Jan 27, 2011
Lieju said:
aegix drakan said:
Lieju said:
Kathinka said:
I can't believe you!
How dare you suggest that Tri-gender demisexual otherkin are PLANNING TO STEAL CHRISTMAS!!?

Everyone knows that's what Sarkeesian is up to, so there is your argument obliterated, aegix drakan.
Oh GOD.

The experiment has gone awry. VERY awry.

That's not just a snowman argument. It's an ABOMINABLE SNOWMAN ARGUMENT. :eek:

What has science done?! Euthanize that thing before it's too late and it becomes a commonly used internet debate tactic!

(seriously though, if I see someone using "special snowflakes" when making a strawman argument, I'm going to call it a snowman argument from now on. XD)

Lil devils x_v1legacy

More Lego Goats Please!
May 17, 2011
What I find sad is that they would have to make a new game just to be included in the first place. It should not be a segregated "gimmick" it should just be a normal occurrence in many games we already play, not paraded out and showcased. Being including in gaming is just that, actually... you know including them in the community and games everyone plays.

Schadrach

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 20, 2010
Country
US
blackrave said:
An Ceannaire said:
So, here we have a game that will be lauded by social justice types even if it's crap, and anybody who criticizes it will be labeled a bigot. Calling it now. Saw it happen with Gone Home already.
Could go both ways really
Feminists could latch on the whole "feminist dystopia" thing
Because how dare anyone say that feminism could have horrible results.
Amusingly, there's a thread in /r/KotakuInAction trying to drum up donations for it, with people considering doing things like donating enough to get an in-game billboard and doing a "Listen and Believe" poster with a Sarkeesian-parody (which weirdly enough sounds like something that would readily fit in the setting).

blackrave

Mar 7, 2012
Schadrach said:
blackrave said:
An Ceannaire said:
So, here we have a game that will be lauded by social justice types even if it's crap, and anybody who criticizes it will be labeled a bigot. Calling it now. Saw it happen with Gone Home already.
Amusingly, there's a thread in /r/KotakuInAction trying to drum up donations for it, with people considering doing things like donating enough to get an in-game billboard and doing a "Listen and Believe" poster with a Sarkeesian-parody (which weirdly enough sounds like something that would readily fit in the setting).
Let me begin with huge YES to this.

But I'd like to ask where "Listen and Believe" exactly comes from?
I've heard this referenced to Anita, but never explained in detail.

Schadrach

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 20, 2010
Country
US
blackrave said:
Schadrach said:
blackrave said:
An Ceannaire said:
Let me begin with huge YES to this.

But I'd like to ask where "Listen and Believe" exactly comes from?
I've heard this referenced to Anita, but never explained in detail.
Her speech at xoxofest. It's sad that they don't see the cultish imagery of it when they were doing it, but the xoxofest presentations were being done in a repurposed industrial facility, and some of the mottos shown on the screen behind the speaker were things like:

Lower Your Expectations
Fuck Your Dreams
You Have No Obligation To Your Former Self
You Can Weaponize Nice (this one is where all the references to things like "weaponized minorities" and "weaponized charity" related to GG were born from)
Listen and Believe (this was Anita's)

blackrave

Mar 7, 2012
Schadrach said:
Her speech at xoxofest. It's sad that they don't see the cultish imagery of it when they were doing it, but the xoxofest presentations were being done in a repurposed industrial facility, and some of the mottos shown on the screen behind the speaker were things like:

Lower Your Expectations
Fuck Your Dreams
You Have No Obligation To Your Former Self
You Can Weaponize Nice (this one is where all the references to things like "weaponized minorities" and "weaponized charity" related to GG were born from)
Listen and Believe (this was Anita's)

O_O
I have said some shit in the past
But at least I was aware of how horrible that sounded

Please someone who was there, tell me that they did addressed this in their speeches.
That they said something along lines
"blablabla, I know this sounds bad, but this was the best way I could condense my thought/opinion, long version of this is blablabla"
Please :(

Captcha: I want control
No, not even close.

FalloutJack

Bah weep grah nah neep ninny bom
Nov 20, 2008
Kalezian said:
Not what I meant. I was referring to a video game dedicated to the fucked up adventures of that man, a game where you are he and he is the rightful winner of Call of Cthulhu.