Africa in gaming. An example from CoD MW3...

Scorched_Cascade

Innocence proves nothing
Sep 26, 2008
thaluikhain said:
Apparently, hyenas are listed as "threatened" in Sierra Leone.

DOn't shoot the hyenas!
Inb4 PETA

I quite like the idea of Hyena attack dogs, gives a very....scaring experience

Be prepared for a lot of web comments on it though.

KwaggaDan

Feb 13, 2010
NewYork_Comedian said:
Oh, a Call of Duty hate thread that will lead to nowhere, its not like we have had hundreds of these things since Modern Warfare 2 came out (even ill admit ive done it before, but by now everyone and their mom is sick and tired of them).

As others have already said, yes, people in the Sierra Leone do have domesticated hyenas, and yes, the Russians you killed in Call of Duty 4 during the Chernobyl mission did have attack dogs.
It's not about hating CoD. I enjoy CoD. I really liked the first MW, and this one is pretty fun too. Also, Hyena domestication is typically an Eastern African practice. I guess it's just Africa in gaming that annoys me, and this was just the straw that broke the camel's back.

KwaggaDan

Feb 13, 2010
Particulate said:
KwaggaDan said:
So, while playing through CoD, there's a portion where you travel to Africa, Sierra Leone to be exact, and the attackers use Hyenas as attack dogs. Really now? Why not simply have them use lions or maybe elephants?

And yeah, I know there are incidents where Hyenas have been tamed, or even domesticated, but it's not like every African has a pet hyena. During the Chernobyl section did the Russians use pet wolves? No.

How utterly silly.
Hyenas will fuck you up. And I'd hardly consider them "tamed" so much as trained to bite the fuck out of anyone that isn't their master. That's hardly a guard dog.
Actually they can become used to humans, and several zoos report that they don't attack humans who bring them food, even when they are hungry. It's just a rare thing.

tendaji

Aug 15, 2008
Scorched_Cascade said:
thaluikhain said:

DOn't shoot the hyenas!
Inb4 PETA

I see, so I guess I should be prepared for the chance of a lifetime then.
Maybe even for some glorious news...
Would it be a bit crazy to try and claim a shining new era is tiptoeing nearer?

Calcium

Dec 30, 2010
Ohhh, I misunderstood this. It's about the depiction of Africans with hyenas not just that there's hyenas. Now this thread makes sense.

I thought this was a 'Modern Warfare sucks because of blah blah blah' thread and was going to point out being attacked by Hyenas is surely less silly than getting attacked by a rat.

SamFancyPants252

Sep 1, 2009
I didn't even notice. I just stabbed it because it came at me, I didn't have the time to classify it in terms of genus and family.

Treblaine

Jul 25, 2008
KwaggaDan said:
I think we're talking around each other here. Yeah, I know a properly trained attack dog is expensive, and yes I know some games have taken the mickey. My issue is that they play so much of the game straight. They make a point of depicting "a real world possibility." It just seems like a bit of a cheap shot.

But yeah, I'm probably blowing this out of proportion, but I'm just getting tired of how Africa is depicted in games...
Well you shouldn't be any more tired by Africa is depicted than say American.

I've seen American cities and towns being overrun by zombies or invaded more than I've seen them depicted any other way. What about the way that Rockstar north (a Scottish developer) depicts America in the hugely popular GTA series? Hardly in a positive or reasonable light. And it's even worse with Saints Row.

Of course there are nice games showing how lovely Africa is:

I don't know any games that ae jsut about wandering around american cities as a tourist takign pictures and leaving nothing but footprints.

But you do have games set in America where you beat people to death with a giant purple dildo.

imperialreign

Mar 23, 2010
KwaggaDan said:
Maybe I am blowing this out of proportion, but I'm getting tired of Africa and Africans being misrepresented in games. And yeah, there are incidents where it happened, so why didn't the Chernobyl section have attack bears or wolves? That's happened before?

And Africans can afford dogs. This is just simply something that looked cool, so they signed off on it, but they'd never do the same for a European section. And that's my issue.
TBH, I can't entirelly sympathize . . . I don't really see a lot of exaggerated material in games regarding Africa and it's people . . . a few titles here and there, but they're few and far between.

. . . but, on the other hand, I'm quite sickened by the exaggerated views taken of baltic and slavic peoples in games (mostly Russians, but occasionaly their neighbors - and a lot of this has to do with my heritage), and the fact that they're heavily used for antagonists. They've been more of a source for "the bad guys" than any other nationality (expect, perhaps, the Germans). I personaly think you're blowing this entirelly out of proportion.

In regards to your comment about Russians and wolves/boars/bears . . . really?! I've never heard of such a thing, at least in real life. There've been a few games that've thrown out such nonsense, but it's still in context of a game. Perhaps there've been a few odd cases of such animal usage in the real world (especially with bears and the circus), but the logistical overhead for attempting to use such animals in a defensive/offensive role would simply be outrageous. Trained dogs are and would be much more affordable.

All-in-al, to ***** and complain about any such exaggerations, though, is simply pointless: it's a game.

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
Treblaine said:

I've seen American cities and towns being overrun by zombies or invaded more than I've seen them depicted any other way. What about the way that Rockstar north (a Scottish developer) depicts America in the hugely popular GTA series? Hardly in a positive or reasonable light. And it's even worse with Saints Row.
Yeah, Africans shouldn't complain, they should count themselves lucky they aren't them poor USAliens...wait...

Seriously, though, it's a point, but dodgy portrayals of other places aren't much of an excuse for doing the same to Africa.

Also, are those negative depictions in games that sell themselves as realistic?

The only example I can think of off the top of my head that did the US a disservice in a "realistic" game was Homefront, and there was massive arguing about that, though I don't really keep up with "realistic" games.

KwaggaDan

Feb 13, 2010
Snip
Treblaine said:
KwaggaDan said:
I think we're talking around each other here. Yeah, I know a properly trained attack dog is expensive, and yes I know some games have taken the mickey. My issue is that they play so much of the game straight. They make a point of depicting "a real world possibility." It just seems like a bit of a cheap shot.

But yeah, I'm probably blowing this out of proportion, but I'm just getting tired of how Africa is depicted in games...

Of course there are nice games showing how lovely Africa is:

I don't know any games that ae jsut about wandering around american cities as a tourist takign pictures and leaving nothing but footprints.

But you do have games set in America where you beat people to death with a giant purple dildo.

Yeah, I can see your point. It's easy to just see one side of the argument.

KwaggaDan

Feb 13, 2010
tendaji said:
Scorched_Cascade said:
thaluikhain said:

DOn't shoot the hyenas!
Inb4 PETA

I see, so I guess I should be prepared for the chance of a lifetime then.
Maybe even for some glorious news...
Would it be a bit crazy to try and claim a shining new era is tiptoeing nearer?
This has to be done now. And it makes me happy!

KwaggaDan

Feb 13, 2010
imperialreign said:
KwaggaDan said:
Maybe I am blowing this out of proportion, but I'm getting tired of Africa and Africans being misrepresented in games. And yeah, there are incidents where it happened, so why didn't the Chernobyl section have attack bears or wolves? That's happened before?

And Africans can afford dogs. This is just simply something that looked cool, so they signed off on it, but they'd never do the same for a European section. And that's my issue.
TBH, I can't entirelly sympathize . . . I don't really see a lot of exaggerated material in games regarding Africa and it's people . . . a few titles here and there, but they're few and far between.

. . . but, on the other hand, I'm quite sickened by the exaggerated views taken of baltic and slavic peoples in games (mostly Russians, but occasionaly their neighbors - and a lot of this has to do with my heritage), and the fact that they're heavily used for antagonists. They've been more of a source for "the bad guys" than any other nationality (expect, perhaps, the Germans). I personaly think you're blowing this entirelly out of proportion.

In regards to your comment about Russians and wolves/boars/bears . . . really?! I've never heard of such a thing, at least in real life. There've been a few games that've thrown out such nonsense, but it's still in context of a game. Perhaps there've been a few odd cases of such animal usage in the real world (especially with bears and the circus), but the logistical overhead for attempting to use such animals in a defensive/offensive role would simply be outrageous. Trained dogs are and would be much more affordable.

All-in-al, to ***** and complain about any such exaggerations, though, is simply pointless: it's a game.
Yeah, I know it's being small-minded, but sometimes it's just nice to vent. I guess everyone can take issue with how their country, and or people, are depicted in games. And at the end of the day it's just that. A game.

It just got to me, that's all.

KwaggaDan

Feb 13, 2010
thaluikhain said:
Treblaine said:

Yeah, Africans shouldn't complain, they should count themselves lucky they aren't them poor USAliens...wait...

Seriously, though, it's a point, but dodgy portrayals of other places aren't much of an excuse for doing the same to Africa.

The only example I can think of off the top of my head that did the US a disservice in a "realistic" game was Homefront, and there was massive arguing about that, though I don't really keep up with "realistic" games.
I see now this was basically a venting forum. But yeah, people would be complaining if the game was overly realistic as well. I guess this is just something everyone has to take with a pinch of salt.

Treblaine

Jul 25, 2008
thaluikhain said:
Treblaine said:

African of certain nations certainly have reasons to complain (corruption and economic stagnation maybe) but for games depiction? well they have as much right to complain as Americans for the way the Scottish depict america in their GTA series.

Also, I challenge you to find anywhere in the promotional press-released for Modern Warfare 3 that uses the term "realistic" or anything equivalent. It single player is pure B-movie scholock with a mysterious big-bad pulling all the strings in WORLD WAR 3!!! The main selling point of the multiplayer is throwing knives and juggernaut suits... does this seem like the trainer for a serious realistic game?

That is THE OFFICIAL launch trailer.

If you want modern war realism, Battlefield 3 is that-a-way ---->

The problem with Homefront was how biploar it was. Killjoy and Hippie "Kill em all!!" then "The killing never gets any easier..."

Zero47

Oct 27, 2009
Gaming does not have to be realistic, obviously. Are you expecting special treatment because it's about Africa? No? Then what makes this a valid complaint? "shoes in gaming" "why are all shoes in gaming depicted as black and or lacking print?" it's the same freaking thread and just as silly.

I bet you would never be happy. If they showed Africa how it is, you know muggings, gangs, rape on the streets in the wrong part of the city you'd be whining about that. Wouldn't you?

Sodoff

Oct 15, 2009
I think you have a valid point and I applaud you for noticing it. I think that anyone who isen't a white anglo-saxon male should have a problem with how they are presented in most video games.

(Im looking a you women, Eastern Europeans, Russians, Irish , Germans, Chinese, Japanse...... )

KwaggaDan

Feb 13, 2010
Mike-O said:
KwaggaDan said:
Mike-O said:
KwaggaDan said:
So, while playing through CoD, there's a portion where you travel to Africa, Sierra Leone to be exact, and the attackers use Hyenas as attack dogs. Really now? Why not simply have them use lions or maybe elephants?

And yeah, I know there are incidents where Hyenas have been tamed, or even domesticated, but it's not like every African has a pet hyena. During the Chernobyl section did the Russians use pet wolves? No.

How utterly silly.
Answer me this; did you meet/kill every African in the CoD world? I'm sure SOME OF THEM have lions.
Well, yeah maybe, but it only adds to the silliness.
http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/sarcasm
http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/Hyperbole

Flip-Shying

Jun 22, 2011
Why would they use lions or elephants over hyenas? Hyenas make far more sense because they are actually used in real-life. People don't have lions, elephants, or hyenas wondering around their back-garden in Africa.

KwaggaDan

Feb 13, 2010
Zero47 said:
Gaming does not have to be realistic, obviously. Are you expecting special treatment because it's about Africa? No? Then what makes this a valid complaint? "shoes in gaming" "why are all shoes in gaming depicted as black and or lacking print?" it's the same freaking thread and just as silly.

I bet you would never be happy. If they showed Africa how it is, you know muggings, gangs, rape on the streets in the wrong part of the city you'd be whining about that. Wouldn't you?
You know Africa isn't this massive hellhole right? And I'm tired of people depicting Africa as this nightmare world. Because it's not.

And as for the shoe thing, we're talking about cultural stereotypes. Which is different from a shoe thread. Something along the lines of "Why are fat people in games always computer nerds" would be more apt as a comparison.

As I've said before, my issue was that Africa is depicted as a backwater hellhole, where everyone who doesn't shoot you wants to mug you. That is what gets to me.