After playing KOA for a few days...

Togs

Dec 8, 2010
I realised how long ago it was that I played a hack n slash/action game (namely god of war one on the ps2) and how much I enjoyed them.
So seeing as Im currently finishing up the faction quests and the more involving side ones I was wondering if anyone could recommend some good action/hack n slash games for the 360?

Slash Dementia

Apr 6, 2009
Dante's Inferno was a pretty good hack n' slash game. Also, you could try Viking: Battle for Asgard--I liked it enough to play it twice.

cainx10a

May 17, 2008
Go for Bayonetta. Not only is the game a lengthy one, but there's a lot of unlockables and other extras to keep you coming back at it. And unlike Devil May Cry and God of War, the combo system is a bit more freeflow, and there's more combinations that can be used without penalizing you for being a mindless button masher. And Bayonetta is a real badass female character.

Limecake

May 18, 2011
I just started playing Bayonetta yesterday, I had it for a year but I never really tried it. So far I really enjoy it, reminds me a lot of Devil May Cry (which is also a good one) The story is ridiculous and the characters are the worst but it lends itself to the whole 'over-the-top-spectacle' that these games love to play up.

Devil May Cry 4 - Good game, pretty repetitive especially if you are doing multiple runs. They pull a MGS2 and make you play the first half of the game as a different character though.

Bayonetta - Underrated, solid so far even if the characters are insane. Camera is also pretty lame until you adjust it.

Dante's Inferno - Pretty decent, although much easier than the other games in my opinion. I just felt awkward if someone was watching me play since every 5 minutes there are boobs in your face. I really liked the setting, Hell was well built.

Ninja Gaiden 2 - Ugh, the camera is the worst for this game which only adds to the difficulty. If you can see past that it's a good game with some solid combo's. just don't say I didn't warn you.

EDIT: also if you meant 'hack-and-slash' as in more of a diablo style game check out Torchlight on the XBLA

Weaver

Overcaffeinated
Apr 28, 2008
IMO, Bayonetta is the King (queen I guess) of the "stylized action hack n' slash" genre. I loved every over-the-top ridiculous second of that game.

dimensional

Jun 13, 2011
Bayonetta definitely, the characters are mediocre and the story dosent work it goes for cheesy over the top and just ends up a boring mess but the gameplay is spot on the game really shines in hard mode especially.

Just dont try and play something like GoW3 straight after like I did because you will be wondering why there is no reaction until what seems like a second later after you have pushed a button in the end I had to rehabilitate myself to less responsive controls via Ninja Gaiden 2 Sigma (which I thought was also pretty good if a tad annoying near the end) but thats not on 360 obviously and dont bother with Ninja Gaiden 2 original unless you like being extremely annoyed.

Sorry I seem to have rambled anyway get Bayonetta.

Don Savik

Aug 27, 2011
KoA feels...uninspired to me. I dunno, I can't explain it. Its....good(?) but with games like Skyrim and the like, it feels too consolized and tailored to idiots. And as far as hack and slash games go, its terrible in comparision to Bayonetta, DMC, Dantes Inferno, GoW, etc etc.

Togs

Dec 8, 2010
Don Savik said:
KoA feels...uninspired to me. I dunno, I can't explain it. Its....good(?) but with games like Skyrim and the like, it feels too consolized and tailored to idiots. And as far as hack and slash games go, its terrible in comparision to Bayonetta, DMC, Dantes Inferno, GoW, etc etc.
Just checked this thread for new suggestions to see this, you came into the game expecting a full on action game? No wonder you were dissappointed.

It isnt meant to be one, its an RPG with an actions game combat- its simplistic as its target audience are not action game veterans.

You say its "tailored to idiots", think you need to check yourself first mate.

Skin

Dec 28, 2011
Dark Souls. It's slower paced combat, but so much better in every single other way.

dvd_72

Jun 7, 2010
Devil May Cry 4 has been mentioned, and it's ok, but the previous one is a much more enjoyable play I find. Too bad it wont be on the 360 until they release the HD remakes.

Bayonetta was also an enjoyable one. The combos flow very easily, dodging feels nice and intuitive and the wealth of unlockables are nice. Another solid choice.

dvd_72

Jun 7, 2010
Devil May Cry 4 has been mentioned, and it's ok, but the previous one is a much more enjoyable play I find. Too bad it wont be on the 360 until they release the HD remakes.

Bayonetta was also an enjoyable one. The combos flow very easily, dodging feels nice and intuitive and the wealth of unlockables are nice. Another solid choice.

Zeckt

Nov 10, 2010
I second that viking game. It was so brutal, gave me mark of kri vibes. One of those games I beat in like 3 sittings because it was so fun, and you could probably get it for like 5$ or something. Worth every penny!