After some advice for a gaming PC build

Parkway91

Sep 1, 2011
Hi guys,

As is apparent in the heading, I'm looking to build a PC with the main use for gaming. I've set myself a budget of $1200 as this will be my first PC build from scratch. I should also point out that the budget will need to include a monitor, keyboard and mouse.

The main things I have queries about are choosing a CPU and GPU. I have been doing a fair bit of research and come across mixed opinions. There are those that swear by and say Intel is superior to AMD, and others that say AMD can swing with the Intel boys. As I do not have an allegiance to either, I am after the best dollar for power product. If there is an Intel chip that is regarded highly, or an AMD that offers better performance for the same cost, I will need some assistance.

The same goes for GPU. I am after a 2GB card at least, and whichever brand pairs better with a chosen CPU and Mobo.

Is an investment in a SSD good?

I will be looking for 8GB of RAM.

I will be running Windows 7 64-bit, unless people can inform that Windows 8 is good for a gaming PC.

So essentially I am after some advice on components and some build ideas you guys have.

Also would a wireless card be needed?? Or is there Mobo's with a basic one in them??

I should also point out some games I intend to play, Star Wars: The Old Republic, Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic, Planetside 2, Battlefield 3, and possibly some other game recommendations people have.

This is where I will be purchasing my parts from
http://www.msy.com.au/Parts/PARTS.pdf

Components needed:
CPU:
Mobo:
GPU:
RAM:
Audio:
Storage:
Optical Drive:
Case (with/without PSU):
Mouse:
Keyboard:
Monitor:

Thanks guys, and sorry for the wall of text.

thesilentman

What this
Jun 14, 2012
Parkway91 said:
Hi guys,

As is apparent in the heading, I'm looking to build a PC with the main use for gaming. I've set myself a budget of $1200 as this will be my first PC build from scratch. I should also point out that the budget will need to include a monitor, keyboard and mouse.

The main things I have queries about are choosing a CPU and GPU. I have been doing a fair bit of research and come across mixed opinions. There are those that swear by and say Intel is superior to AMD, and others that say AMD can swing with the Intel boys. As I do not have an allegiance to either, I am after the best dollar for power product. If there is an Intel chip that is regarded highly, or an AMD that offers better performance for the same cost, I will need some assistance.

The same goes for GPU. I am after a 2GB card at least, and whichever brand pairs better with a chosen CPU and Mobo.

Is an investment in a SSD good?

I will be looking for 8GB of RAM.

I will be running Windows 7 64-bit, unless people can inform that Windows 8 is good for a gaming PC.

So essentially I am after some advice on components and some build ideas you guys have.

Also would a wireless card be needed?? Or is there Mobo's with a basic one in them??

I should also point out some games I intend to play, Star Wars: The Old Republic, Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic, Planetside 2, Battlefield 3, and possibly some other game recommendations people have.

This is where I will be purchasing my parts from
http://www.msy.com.au/Parts/PARTS.pdf

Components needed:
CPU:
Mobo:
GPU:
RAM:
Audio:
Storage:
Optical Drive:
Case (with/without PSU):
Mouse:
Keyboard:
Monitor:

Thanks guys, and sorry for the wall of text.
I'll just go ahead and state the parts. I really am kinda tired right now, but I'll explain my picks. :)

CPU- Intel i5-2500K or an i7-3770K. For gaming, you go Intel as Intel has processors that do better at single threads, like gaming. AMD had better processors for multithreaded applications, for instance, video editing. I suggested a choice between the i5 or i7 as you may need multithreading, which the i7 does. Other than that, stick with the i5. It's cheaper than the i7 and unless you need multithreading, there's no need to burn money.

Motherboard- Asus Z77. Such a good board... Nothing needs to be said here.

GPU- Once again, toss a coin between an AMD HD 7850 or a Nvidia GTX 670. I have a GTX 670 in my computer, and there's nothing that slows that guy down. It's up to you if you go AMD or Nvidia. One thing that may shift you decision is that Nvidia has better Linux drivers, but you're going to be gaming, so that's not an issue.

I don't see the need for a CD/DVD/BD drive as it's more a convenience than an essential component. It's pretty convenient, but if you use Steam to install your game, this should be no problem.

OS- Unless you have some dire need to be on the bleeding edge, you'll be fine with Windows 7 Professional 64 bit. Windows 8 isn't bad, just a tad too different in some areas. Up to you, once again.

8 gig of RAM is going to be plenty. 16 gigs is overkill in my opinion.

.... And pretty much everything else is up to you. Total of the above should net you around 800 to 900 USD for those parts.

Hope I helped, and happy gaming! :)

If you have anymore questions, feel free to ask.

Parkway91

Sep 1, 2011
Thanks for your help

Here is my first mock build

CPU: Intel i5 3570
Mobo: Asus P8Z77 M-Pro
GPU: MSI 2GB GTX 660
RAM: 8GB Kit 1866 G.Skill Ripjaws-X
Audio:
Storage: 2TB WD Black
Optical Drive: LiteOn Blu-ray Combo
Case (with PSU): Thermaltake V4
Mouse: Razer Deathadder
Keyboard: Logitech G110
Monitor: Samsung 24" LED S24B300H

Total: $1282

Any advice on parts I should replace or parts I should also get.

Cheers

ShinyCharizard

Oct 24, 2012
Parkway91 said:
Thanks for your help

Audio:

Cheers
Definitely spend the extra 20 bucks and get the 3570k instead of just the 3570. Being able to overclock it will come in handy in the future. If you do though you should pick up a decent CPU cooler. I'd recommend a Coolermaster Hyper 212+. Other then that it looks to be a good build.

thesilentman

What this
Jun 14, 2012
Parkway91 said:
Thanks for your help

Audio:

Cheers
I think you're good. Have fun and enjoy gaming! :)

Parkway91

Sep 1, 2011
ShinyCharizard said:
Definitely spend the extra 20 bucks and get the 3570k instead of just the 3570. Being able to overclock it will come in handy in the future. If you do though you should pick up a decent CPU cooler. I'd recommend a Coolermaster Hyper 212+. Other then that it looks to be a good build.
I think I will look into 3570K, any other CPU cooler recommendations as the one you mentioned is not at the store I am purchasing from.

thesilentman said:
Cheers for the help. Another quick couple of questions.

1. Getting an audio card, worth it??

2. What about wireless cards?? I would like to hook up to our router wirelessly.

3. Should I look into a SSD too??

thesilentman

What this
Jun 14, 2012
Parkway91 said:
thesilentman said:

2. What about wireless cards?? I would like to hook up to our router wirelessly.

1) I have no idea what you mean. All Google is telling me is a sound card, which you'll definitely need.

2) Yes. It's a good idea to get one.

3) I've never seen the appeal of SSDs to be honest. Sure they run faster, but the fact that they have limited capacity and are quite expensive makes it a turn off for me. I'd just run a PC defrag overnight if I wanted my hard drive to be faster.

Anything else? I'll be here for any other questions you might have.

ShinyCharizard

Oct 24, 2012
Parkway91 said:
ShinyCharizard said:
I think I will look into 3570K, any other CPU cooler recommendations as the one you mentioned is not at the store I am purchasing from.
Go with the Universal Hyper 212 Evo. I believe it is just a better version of the one I suggested. As for your other questions.

1. Don't know personally if it is worth it. However ASUS are known to make good audio cards if you want one.

2. As for the network card, again just get an ASUS one.

3. I use an SSD as a boot drive and I find it to be fantastic. Makes booting up the computer and whatever programs you install onto it so much faster and smoother.

Parkway91

Sep 1, 2011
thesilentman said:
Parkway91 said:
thesilentman said:

1) I have no idea what you mean. All Google is telling me is a sound card, which you'll definitely need.

2) Yes. It's a good idea to get one.

3) I've never seen the appeal of SSDs to be honest. Sure they run faster, but the fact that they have limited capacity and are quite expensive makes it a turn off for me. I'd just run a PC defrag overnight if I wanted my hard drive to be faster.

Anything else? I'll be here for any other questions you might have.
Yeah I meant a sound card, sorry. I was just wondering if a dedicated sound card offers any great improvements than the onboard sound on the motherboard??

http://www.asus.com.au/Networks/Wireless_Adapters/PCEN15/#overview good wireless card??

I dont think I will worry about a SSD until I upgrade further down the road. They are very expensive and have limited storage, I can wait a little longer for things to load.

ShinyCharizard said:
Parkway91 said:
ShinyCharizard said:
Go with the Universal Hyper 212 Evo. I believe it is just a better version of the one I suggested. As for your other questions.

1. Don't know personally if it is worth it. However ASUS are known to make good audio cards if you want one.

2. As for the network card, again just get an ASUS one.

3. I use an SSD as a boot drive and I find it to be fantastic. Makes booting up the computer and whatever programs you install onto it so much faster and smoother.
I shall go for the 212 Evo.

Above link a decent card??

ohnoitsabear

Feb 15, 2011
I would advise that you ditch the blu-ray drive in favor of a DVD drive, unless you plan on using this computer to watch movies. It's not like software comes on them, so your only other real use for it would be storing stuff on blu-rays, and rewritable blu-rays are too expensive to justify using them over DVDs (at least since I last looked, which I'll admit has been a while). I have a blu-ray drive on a computer and I have used it as a blu-ray drive a grand total of once. Save the money and go for a DVD drive.

Don't get an SSD unless you have money to burn. They are expensive, and really don't impact game performance all that much (especially because you probably won't be installing many games on it due to limited storage space). That, and there's the fact that they aren't very reliable. They're cool, but your money is better spend elsewhere.

That's really all the advice I have right now, as I don't see any real glaring problems with your build.

Parkway91

Sep 1, 2011
ohnoitsabear said:
I would advise that you ditch the blu-ray drive in favor of a DVD drive, unless you plan on using this computer to watch movies. It's not like software comes on them, so your only other real use for it would be storing stuff on blu-rays, and rewritable blu-rays are too expensive to justify using them over DVDs (at least since I last looked, which I'll admit has been a while). I have a blu-ray drive on a computer and I have used it as a blu-ray drive a grand total of once. Save the money and go for a DVD drive.

Don't get an SSD unless you have money to burn. They are expensive, and really don't impact game performance all that much (especially because you probably won't be installing many games on it due to limited storage space). That, and there's the fact that they aren't very reliable. They're cool, but your money is better spend elsewhere.

That's really all the advice I have right now, as I don't see any real glaring problems with your build.
Thanks, yeah I have also been thinking about ditching the Blu-ray for a DVD drive. Since I have my PS3 for Blu-ray, it isn't necessary for one on the PC.

I have decided against an SSD for now, don't see the need for one.

RhombusHatesYou

Surreal Estate Agent
Mar 21, 2010
Between There and There.
Country
The Wide, Brown One.
Parkway91 said:
As mentioned, look into getting a 3570K. You might never want to OC you CPU but if you do you're boned without CPU with a K in the model number (the ones that can be overclocked)

Honestly, unless you're rabid on Asus, you'd be better using their budget brand Asrock.

Bleurgh... You can get a HD 7870 for around the same price or you can pony up that bit extra and get a 660Ti.

Has terrible airflow and you could run into issues with the PSU being 500W (on the upside it's a TT PSU)

If the mouse isn't laser and the kneyboard isn't mechanical I wouldn't waste my money, but each to their own.

Parkway91

Sep 1, 2011
Here is my updated build

@thesilentman @ShinyCharizard @ohnoitsabear

CPU: Intel i5 3570K
GPU: MSI 2GB GTX 660Ti
RAM: 8GB Kit G.Skill Ares
Audio: Onboard
Storage: Seagate SATA III 2TB
Optical Drive: LiteOn DVD RW
Case: Coolermaster RC-K380
Monitor: Samsung 24" S24B300H
CPU Cooler: Coolermaster Hyper 212 Evo
Wireless: Asus PCI-E-N15
PSU: Antec HCG 520

Total: $1388

Stretched the budget a bit but not looking to go any higher. Also have overclocking in mind so upgraded a few parts.

Any other opinions on current build??

Parkway91

Sep 1, 2011
RhombusHatesYou said:
If the mouse isn't laser and the kneyboard isn't mechanical I wouldn't waste my money, but each to their own.
Do you have any recommendations for such mice and keyboards?? Without stretching my budget too much further.

Also, updated build is above.

thesilentman

What this
Jun 14, 2012
Parkway91 said:
Here is my updated build

@thesilentman @ShinyCharizard @ohnoitsabear

CPU: Intel i5 3570K
GPU: MSI 2GB GTX 660Ti
RAM: 8GB Kit G.Skill Ares
Audio: Onboard
Storage: Seagate SATA III 2TB
Optical Drive: LiteOn DVD RW
Case: Coolermaster RC-K380
Monitor: Samsung 24" S24B300H
CPU Cooler: Coolermaster Hyper 212 Evo
Wireless: Asus PCI-E-N15
PSU: Antec HCG 520

Total: $1388

Stretched the budget a bit but not looking to go any higher. Also have overclocking in mind so upgraded a few parts.

Any other opinions on current build??
I think it's good. You'll be more than prepared for gaming at high settings for the next few years. Hope you have fun. :)

Parkway91

Sep 1, 2011
Hi guys, just bumping my thread because I have one more final question, keyboards, opinions, experiences and recommendations.

I realise this thread was made quite some time ago, but at that time my funds were to become hard to come by, but now, I am in a position to invest, so as above my query is with keyboards.

Build is essentially the same as above, just with a few swap outs for parts.

Thanks.

Parkway91

Sep 1, 2011
AWAR said:
Parkway91 said:
Didn't you include a logitech G110 in your list?
Anyway, if you have the money, I'd suggest the k70.
I did but the store I am purchasing from, pccasegear.com, doesn't have it in stock, and rather than waiting for a separate order from another company I am looking for alternatives that I could get.

cheers