After what time, is it no longer socially acceptable for an adult to be seen in his pyjamas?

Elberik

Apr 26, 2011
If the pajamas consist of actual pants & a shirt: you can go as far as your mailbox & still be in the clear. Wear a bathrobe to be totally safe.

If you wear your underpants and/or a T-Shirt to bed: don't go beyond the kitchen.

BarkBarker

May 30, 2013
My onesie shall scar the people of my neighbourhood at whatever age I see fit, though I suppose this asks the more interesting question of do pajamas at certain ages qualify as disturbing the public.

Veldel

Mitth'raw'nuruodo
Legacy
Apr 28, 2010
Lost in my mind
Country
US
well I only wear boxers soo. It depends if your going out i guess.

I wear only my boxers all day when im not going out. I will put a tshirt and shorts on if i need to step outside and then take them off when im back inside.

Major_Tom

Anticitizen
Jun 29, 2008
Hell, I won't even leave the house in my home clothes (sweatpants and t-shirt) let alone pajamas (which, now that I think about it, are basically the same).

Ravenbom

Oct 24, 2008
@ OP - I'd say all day on the weekends and/or days off is acceptable -IF- you're NOT leaving the house or going to see anyone face to face. What people do in their own home is largely on them, but even if I'm in my PJs all day, I still put on a shirt and real pants or shorts (I live in LA, too hot to wear jeans/pants right now) to go outside and walk to my mailbox.

I would NEVER run to the grocery store in PJs. Even if I was sick. I don't even really go to the grocery store or in public if I haven't showered (unless I showered the night before).

In public, I cannot understand PJs at all. This really got on my nerves the last few times I've been flying somewhere. WTF people? The airport and airplanes are public spaces! They are not your hotel room! It's fine to dress comfy for a long flight, wear yoga pants if you're a girl, or slip on shoes like Vans or non-skinny jeans if you're a guy... but grow the fuck up and wear real clothes in public!

This goes to celebrities too! In fact, I think they started the trend in the last 8 years of wearing PJs in the fucking airport! I get that most celebs are sleep deprived and jet lagged all the time but the airports lately are full of assholes who think it's OK to wear PJs in public because they see celebrities do it.
If restaurants can have dress codes, then fucking airports and planes can too. We don't need to get in the 1960's mindset where we wear our best clothes to travel but fuck, flying is not a utility nor is it a right, it's a privilege granted by private companies. Show a little dignity and self-respect in the airport.

Elementary - Dear Watson

RIP Eleuthera, I will miss you
Nov 9, 2010
Pyjamas should not be seen any time after breakfast... From that time, and in ones own home, lounge-wear is perfectly acceptable.

And as the garments are interchangeable, and the terms are merely subjective opinion, then it is just how you describe what you are wearing that becomes fact.

When in public, however, then full collar and trousers is obviously a must.

Fiz_The_Toaster

books, Books, BOOKS
Legacy
Jan 19, 2011
Country
United States
Out in public?

It's probably not a good thing depending on what you wear to bed, especially if you are in the buff. That will get you some jail time. I don't because I like to show that I am trying to adult even if I don't want to. Adulting blows.

In private?

You do you. I tend to wear gym shorts or gym pants depending on the time of year around the house if I know I'm not leaving said house. My dog can judge me all he wants, but I'm glad he can't talk to vocalize said judgements.

FalloutJack

Bah weep grah nah neep ninny bom
Nov 20, 2008
Veldie said:

I wear only my boxers all day when im not going out. I will put a tshirt and shorts on if i need to step outside and then take them off when im back inside.
Agh! Naked!

I mean...kitty!

Err, I mean... I'm sorry, I'm just so lost now.

Veldel

Mitth'raw'nuruodo
Legacy
Apr 28, 2010
Lost in my mind
Country
US
FalloutJack said:
Veldie said:

Agh! Naked!

I mean...kitty!

Err, I mean... I'm sorry, I'm just so lost now.
You sir have confuzzled me. XD

Catfood220

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 21, 2010
I don't wear pyjamas, I sleep naked. Therefore I don't need to get out of my pyjamas and can be naked all day and no one can judge me for being a lazy bastard. Mainly because no one wants to see me naked. My logic is infallible.

C14N

May 28, 2008
It's never acceptable for an adult to wear pyjamas in public, or at least no more public than the front of your own house or apartment. If it's in your own home, then up to mid-day (although I would tend to judge someone who has slept in that late, personally). If the people seeing you are guests arriving on the day, rather than people who slept there, then it's earlier. If someone shows up in clothes at your door, then your priority is to get changed too.

rosac

Sep 13, 2008
In public never at home... I mean I wear them as soon as I get home from something and know I'm not going back out, they're comfy as hell.

Aerosteam

Get out while you still can
Sep 22, 2011
21 and I still wear pyjamas. In public situations it's just taking the garbage out or answering the door. The furthest I've gone is a corner shop in the adjacent block. Walking down the street for more than a minute? Naw, too weird.

Saulkar

Legacy
Aug 25, 2010
Country
Canuckistan
Do not care and it does not stop me from wearing mine in public. Hell, I have come into work in my PJs on my days off to talk to my boss and they made no fuss about it.

Padwolf

Sep 2, 2010
Public? Eh, no. Unless I'm going to my neighbours and back, then I'm staying in pj's, BUT I will put a bra on.

Private? You bet I'm staying in them all day. People I know well and love coming for the evening? I'm staying in pj's.

Do you know how uncomfortable it is to wear a bra all day everyday and have to deal with underboob sweat? Sod that if I can help it, staying in pj's. I'm 26, I'm comfy, I'm warm and that's what matters.

Charli

Nov 23, 2008
FalloutJack said:
Adults wear pajamas in order to quietly inform anybody who disturbs them "I was still asleep, you asshole!".
Basically this, there comes a time where I work late shifts, and my cares for presentation are long past when woken 3 hours after I hit the pillow because to everyone else 'oh that's the middle of the day, surely my hammering and drilling weren't disturbing you'.

Its a visual fuck you.

Addendum_Forthcoming

Queen of the Edit
Feb 4, 2009
Pyjamas are the most comfortable things I own. So I'm going to vote never. My home my rules... collecting mail from the apartment lobby, buying milk at 3AM from the corner convenience store. I'm not going to smarten up for the sake of the possibly 40 people that will see me buy milk at that time as I walk 100 metres.

That and looking a bit crazy is the key to not getting mugged at that hour.

Avnger

Trash Goblin
Legacy
Apr 1, 2016
Country
United States
I've gone to Chipotle at like 7pm in pyjamas before. So... never?

As long as you're wearing the minimum amount of clothes required by law and location, there's no reason it's anyone else's business what the hell you're wearing.

Addendum_Forthcoming

Queen of the Edit
Feb 4, 2009
Avnger said:
I've gone to Chipotle at like 7pm in pyjamas before. So... never?

As long as you're wearing the minimum amount of clothes required by law and location, there's no reason it's anyone else's business what the hell you're wearing.
Adult onesies still deserve being outlawed.