Age in relationships

tthor

Apr 9, 2008
how important is age in a relationship?
for example,
im 16, and theres this 18(almost 19) year old girl thats basicly my best friend.
we get along great, we both act alike, we've both refered to each other as attractive, and both of us have even said that if it werent for the age difference, we'd probably date...

what do u think? how important is age in a relationship?

Reaperman Wompa

Aug 6, 2008
3 years up 3 years down, anything else and it's weird. Though this only applies for 22 and up, if you are under that then it's 2 years in either direction.

tthor

Apr 9, 2008
Reaperman Wompa post=18.70742.701355 said:
3 years up 3 years down, anything else and it's weird. Though this only applies for 22 and up, if you are under that then it's 2 years in either direction.
ya, kinda what i was thinking...

this girl is about 2.6 years older than me..(which really sucks..)

Reaperman Wompa

Aug 6, 2008
Thinking about it it really differs, guys can go whatever up, in my opinion but at max 3 years down while women can go about 4 years down and whatever up. Just is part of society that an older guy dating a younger girl is considered a bit of a pedo while an older woman dating a younger guy is considered a bit strange but not that weird. If you like her and she likes you it's fine, if you were 18-19 and she was 15 you would be a bit of a pedo (literally, i think it's a law).

Edit: Outside your problem there is a point where an age gap is just too strange and shouldn't be attempted, like between a 6 and 9 year gap is getting weird, at best it should be avoided.

Double edit: i'm talking in adult relationships where both participants are at minimum 19.

Ares Tyr

Aug 9, 2008
My issue with age stems mainly with two things.

One, being that I have a younger brother who is two and a half years younger than myself. And me dating any person nearing my brother's age instantly becomes very awkward and morally wrong to me.

Two, me already feeling that it is morally wrong for my own reasons, I have the disposition to date only girls of my age group or within about one or two years. But much to my dismary, all the girls in my age group are dating, guess what, guys who are upwards of two years older than myself. And more often than that, they are up to three, four, even five years older then themselves. I know teenage, high school girls who flirt around with grown men. All of this is highly disturbing and I am forced to rely very heavily on my dashing good looks and killer personality to get girls despite this handicap. Luckily I don't have to lower my standards for someone I wouldn't date due to this, I just work it out.

Still. It makes things very difficult for individuals such as myself.

And even then, the idea of me, being 18 dating a girl just entering high school, beginning her teenage life while I am legally an adult, that all just seems pretty... well, wrong I'm sorry to say. I don't hate people who do this really, just people who take advantage of that situation (if you catch my drift) and of the girls involved. Then I do hate that person, and really they just make me lose faith in common descensy.

I don't want to be dating a chick whom, when I was trying to get toothy, amateurish blowjobs from girls my age, she was still playing with her Barbie Dolls (if I may draw a picture for you).

So, it does matter to me, yes. I want someone who will age with me at the same time and rate, and who shares the same generational expierences as myself. I don't think that's too much to ask.

That's my stance on the subject.

Saskwach

Nov 4, 2007
The "weird threshold" is a gradually increasing number as age increases. A 4 year difference is weird when the younger partner is 16, but it's nothing to bat an eyelid at when that younger partner is 40.

Slash12

Apr 26, 2008
Yea it varys by age. When your young anything 2 years or higher usually seems weird. The older you get the more range you get. My parents are like 6-8 years apart or something and it doesn't really seem weird at all.

Aries_Split

May 12, 2008
I think that the limit for when your under 25 is 3 years. Afterwards, age is just a number. I know a couple with a ten year age difference. Been married 24 years.

Saskwach

Nov 4, 2007
Decoy Doctorpus post=18.70742.701377 said:
Know what's morally wrong? People casting judgment on other people's relationships.
If only I'd put in writing my suspicion that someone would find the High Horse Stables only a couple of posts after mine - I'd have looked incredibly prescient.

The Wooster

King Snap
Jul 15, 2008
Saskwach post=18.70742.701406 said:
Know what's morally wrong? People casting judgment on other people's relationships.
If only I'd put in writing my suspicion that someone would find the High Horse Stables only a couple of posts after mine - I'd have looked incredibly prescient.
Nah. High horse stables are next door. This is the 'you're condemning my relationship and the way I've chosen to live my life' car rental place.

Reaperman Wompa

Aug 6, 2008
Decoy Doctorpus post=18.70742.701414 said:
Saskwach post=18.70742.701406 said:
Nah. High horse stables are next door. This is the 'you're condemning my relationship and the way I've chosen to live my life' car rental place.
That place sucks they charge way too much and always attract the "Oh shut up who are you to judge someone even if they judged others crowd", I'd recommend the high horse stable in the future, plus you don't have to pay tax.

Ares Tyr

Aug 9, 2008
Aries_Split post=18.70742.701391 said:
I think that the limit for when your under 25 is 3 years. Afterwards, age is just a number. I know a couple with a ten year age difference. Been married 24 years.
I like the way you put it. That's my outlook on it, however, it doesn't change my preference of being with an individual who will age at the same rate as myself.

Radelaide

May 15, 2008
tthor post=18.70742.701351 said:
how important is age in a relationship?
for example,
im 16, and theres this 18(almost 19) year old girl thats basicly my best friend.
we get along great, we both act alike, we've both refered to each other as attractive, and both of us have even said that if it werent for the age difference, we'd probably date...

what do u think? how important is age in a relationship?
This is basically the situation with me and my best friend. We dated and I had just turned 16 and he was 19. My stepdad didn't approve and as much as he denies it, I think that it added to our break up. He's now my best friend and we do occasionally indulge in each other's company, but I think that we're closer for it. If age is the only thing holding you two back, I'd go for it. You don't want to be left wondering "What if...?" No matter how old you both get, the age gap will still be the same. If you both feel like you can handle the age difference and could handle the relationship, go for it.

-Rad.

poleboy

May 19, 2008
My thought exactly. As long as both people are reasonably mature (say, 16+) it does not and should not matter.