Agent Carter Teases Surprising Avengers 2 Connection

MovieBob

Dec 31, 2008
Agent Carter Teases Surprising Avengers 2 Connection

Will Agent Carter reveal a new dimension to the origin of an Avenger?

SPOILER WARNING: Agent Carter [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/articles/view/moviesandtv/reviews/12912-Marvel-s-Agent-Carter-Episode-4-TheBlitzkrieg-Button-Recap-and-R] revealed some bad news for its titular heroine: The bad guys have a female agent of their own, and she's rocking some martial-arts takedown manuvers that fans of the Marvel Cinematic Universe should find very familiar.

The moment this new character was revealed, followed by previews showing a kind of training camp for violent young girls, Marvel fans immediately began to formulate theories that this may tie-in to the origin of Scarlett Johansson's Natasha Romanoff, aka The Black Widow. Now, a new preview for this week's Carter reveals that this seems to be the case, as Peggy and her allies, The Howling Commandos, are confirmed to be up against an outfit called The Black Widow Program.

The upcoming sequel, Avengers: Age of Ultron, has been teasing additional info on the lone female Avenger's mysterious past as a Russian-aligned spy/assassin, but there had previously been no indication that Agent Carter was aiming to tell a part of that story on TV beforehand. Marvel fans will, of course, note that while the movie version of Black Widow's age is unknown, in the comics [http://marvel.wikia.com/Natalia_Romanova_%28Earth-616%29] she's actually much older than she appears (kept artificially young through circumstances similar to The Winter Soldier) and was alive and active in the late-1940s era of this series - meaning that it's wholly possible that one of the child-soldiers depicted in the episode could well turn out to be Natasha Romanoff in her youth.

Source: ABC Television [https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qvXXxS8FnJA]

[http://www.escapistmagazine.com/movies-and-tv/]

crazygameguy4ever

Jul 2, 2012
interesting.. though i gave up on the mini series after the first episode ..it was so boring and stupid.. marvel's never been great at live action tv shows though, so I didn't expected it to be any good... DC is the master of live action TV shows, cartoons (expect the disaster of teen titans go! of course) and animated movies while Marvel's usually better at live action movies

vid87

May 17, 2010
Still a bit on the tried-and-true Femme Nikita/Bourne Trilogy "Trained assassin becomes good and fights shadowy organization that trained/made them," but if they find a few unique things to shake up the forumula then I at least could reasonably get excited for a Black Widow solo movie, in part because this would get some of the more tedious back-story out of the way.

Makabriel

May 13, 2013
crazygameguy4ever said:
interesting.. though i gave up on the mini series after the first episode ..it was so boring and stupid.. marvel's never been great at live action tv shows though, so I didn't expected it to be any good... DC is the master of live action TV shows, cartoons (expect the disaster of teen titans go! of course) and animated movies while Marvel's usually better at live action movies
While I agree that DC has a firm grip on the TV market, I respectfully disagree about Agent Carter. Currently one of my favorite shows these days. Well put together all around, I think.

Goliath100

Sep 29, 2009
Quick question: Do I need to see Agents of Shield to watch Agent Carter? And is it any good?

Trishbot

May 10, 2011
Goliath100 said:
Quick question: Do I need to see Agents of Shield to watch Agent Carter? And is it any good?
You absolutely do not need to see Agents of SHIELD to enjoy Agents Carter...

... But Agents of SHIELD has gotten very good and I recommend both.

Falterfire

Jul 9, 2012
Goliath100 said:
Agent Carter has basically zero connections to Agents of Shield, so no worries there. As to the second question: I enjoy it, but this is the internet which means there is a plethora of people on both sides of the love it/hate it argument. I'd recommend watching the first episode and deciding based on whether you enjoy that.

Queen Michael

has read 4,010 manga books
Jun 9, 2009
Is this gonna be like Capptain America 2 and Agents od S.H.I.E.L.D., when I had to skip wtaching the show to avoid spilers? Because that is lame. It is extremely lame, dudes.

Sniper Team 4

Apr 28, 2010
Goliath100 said:
You realize by asking this question you are going to get flooded with quotes now, yes? :)

No, you don't need to watch Agents to enjoy Carter. So far there's only been like, three passing references in Shield to Carter, so you're not missing anything. Watching the first Captain America movie is required though.

As for is it any good, that depends on your tastes. I am loving it. I think it's even better than SHIELD. However, others out there hate it, some simply because Carter is a woman and thus is treated as a woman was in that time (i.e. not exactly equality for all). Others find it boring, which I don't understand myself, but to each their own. I saw that you were told to watch the first episode and then decide. I would say watch the first three (or two, if you count the two-episode launch as one episode), because the start of any show is always a bit slow, but once the world and character building is out of the way, the show picks up.

Ha ha! Got so caught up in answering the question, forgot to post about the actual article. My friend told me that she read that Carter has been confirmed for Avengers 2. I didn't bother to confirm that myself, but I figured that the only way that could be possible would be if it does a flashback, as she is too old and too far gone to really be in modern times. So I just figured it meant that yes, she will in fact be involved in Black Widow's origin story somehow. Looking forward to seeing how this all plays out.

WarpedLord

Mar 11, 2009
Falterfire said:
Goliath100 said:
Agent Carter has basically zero connections to Agents of Shield, so no worries there. As to the second question: I enjoy it, but this is the internet which means there is a plethora of people on both sides of the love it/hate it argument. I'd recommend watching the first episode and deciding based on whether you enjoy that.
This is the best advice anyone could give. Do this.

Spaceman Spiff

Sep 23, 2013
Zola said Romanoff was born in 1984 in Winter Soldier. He could be wrong and HYDRA may not know her full history, but it's worth noting if you're going to speculate on her origins.

JPArbiter

Oct 14, 2010
Spaceman Spiff said:
Zola said Romanoff was born in 1984 in Winter Soldier. He could be wrong and HYDRA may not know her full history, but it's worth noting if you're going to speculate on her origins.
damn, someone beat me to it. the other hypothesis is that Natasha is a descendant, but that would not be nearly as interesting as having three pseudo ageless super soliders hanging around.

Dandres

Apr 7, 2013
Queen Michael said:
Is this gonna be like Captain America 2 and Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D., when I had to skip watching the show to avoid spoilers? Because that is lame. It is extremely lame, dudes.
This is one of the main reasons I watch the show's is for the tie ins.

crazygameguy4ever

Jul 2, 2012
Makabriel said:
crazygameguy4ever said:
While I agree that DC has a firm grip on the TV market, I respectfully disagree about Agent Carter. Currently one of my favorite shows these days. Well put together all around, I think.
it's boring.. Arrow,Gotham and The Flash are a million times better then agent carter... master of doing nothing but talk

Johnny Novgorod

Bebop Man
Legacy
Feb 9, 2012
Why is the connection "surprising"? Aren't Marvel shows all about shooting references everywhere?

Kalashnikov2092

Feb 15, 2011
Ended up being a really solid episode, too. Good action, some nice character development, and the Howling Commandos! The Black Widow stuff is really interesting. It was cool to see the episode's biggest threat to the protagonists be a little girl. I've really enjoyed this show so far. It feels like it improves with every episode.

theNater

Feb 11, 2011
Queen Michael said:
Is this gonna be like Capptain America 2 and Agents od S.H.I.E.L.D., when I had to skip wtaching the show to avoid spilers? Because that is lame. It is extremely lame, dudes.
Agent Carter is just a miniseries. It'll be over well before Age of Ultron hits theaters.