Agents of Cosplay: Jessica Nigri: Better Know A Cosplayer

Liana Kerzner

May 6, 2015
Jessica Nigri: Better Know A Cosplayer

Jessica Nigri on false assumptions and her cosplay holy grail.

Watch Video

Imper1um

May 21, 2008
Factual Fixes:
1:06
Jessica Nigri was standing in a HALLWAY where a lot of other guests were, and, of course, Jessica's "fans" were blocking the way as they were taking pictures of her, basically causing a fire hazard. She was told to go to the booth she was assigned or change her clothes to make less of a problem.
Also, PAX has a strict "No booth babe" policy, which she was in clear violation of.

http://kotaku.com/5900134/skimpy-outfit-gets-lollipop-chainsaw-cosplayer-asked-to-leave-pax

RJ 17

The Sound of Silence
Nov 27, 2011
Johnny Novgorod said:
There's this pattern to Jessica's cosplays but I can't... quite... put my finger on it...

Well the Self-Promotion 101 handbook states to clearly display your most marketable assets. Put your best foot forward and such. :3

Gutsripper

Aug 23, 2010
Biggest problem I have with her is that she often claims to make her own costumes but obviously doesn't.

Paragon Fury

The Loud Shadow
Jan 23, 2009
Gutsripper said:
Biggest problem I have with her is that she often claims to make her own costumes but obviously doesn't.

She obviously does. She even posted videos of her making them, like her Deathwing Costume;

Ihateregistering1

Mar 30, 2011
"But if you take off the make-up and everything, I'm just so plain-Jane normal"

Jessica has an interesting take on what constitutes "plain-Jane normal":

RJ 17

The Sound of Silence
Nov 27, 2011
Ihateregistering1 said:

Hey now, she is just an ordinary plain-Jane girl! She just also happens to have a pair of big, glorious, rockin'...erm...wings. :3

Legion

Were it so easy
Oct 2, 2008
Ihateregistering1 said:

She is wearing make-up and everything in that picture, so it does not really disprove her point. Which was that when she doesn't do stuff like that she is pretty plain.

Ralancian

Jan 14, 2012
A KissLike Smile said:
She is wearing make-up and everything in that picture, so it does not really disprove her point.
Agreed but without make-up she's not really been beaten with the ugly stick.
Imper1um said:
Factual Fixes:
Jessica Nigri was standing in a HALLWAY where a lot of other guests were, and, of course, Jessica's "fans" were blocking the way as they were taking pictures of her, basically causing a fire hazard. She was told to go to the booth she was assigned or change her clothes to make less of a problem.
Also, PAX has a strict "No booth babe" policy, which she was in clear violation of.

http://kotaku.com/5900134/skimpy-outfit-gets-lollipop-chainsaw-cosplayer-asked-to-leave-pax
According to said article she wasn't clear violation of the rule and clearly was a grey area case which the PAX runners took all of Friday to make a decision upon.

I find cosplay in general a very difficult thing, I totally get why people enjoy it. However as hetrosexual bloke who likes the orbs of loveliness (my brain works that way and I suspect it's genetic "good udders == good milk" to Neanderthal brain) I find it very difficult to know what society want of me. On one hand I'm not allowed to look and objectify but on the other hand people shouldn't be "slut shamed" and be allowed to dress in a way they enjoy. The entire thing is incredibly treacherous. I'll stick to my wife's rule I can look but not touch ;)

Zen Bard

Eats, Shoots and Leaves
Sep 16, 2012
Imper1um said:
Factual Fixes:

Liana does not allow mere facts to stand in the way of her recurring narrative that attractive women who cosplay are an oppressed sub-culture against whom society constantly discriminates!

Ihateregistering1

Mar 30, 2011
A KissLike Smile said:
Ihateregistering1 said:

She is wearing make-up and everything in that picture, so it does not really disprove her point. Which was that when she doesn't do stuff like that she is pretty plain.
My point is that the amount of make-up she's wearing has nothing to do with it. If by 'plain' we're talking 'average', when you have 34D fake boobs (just guessing the size) and a 24 inch waist (again, just a guess) you are most definitely not "average" (unless you're at an adult film awards show).

This would be like Channing Tatum claiming "oh I look totally average without someone doing my hair". Maybe your face looks relatively non-descript, but your average person is most certainly not built like him.

I don't really care (hell, I'm not complaining about her hobbies), but if you're built like a fitness model, it's a little ridiculous to say "oh if I don't wear make-up I totally look like everyone else!".

Pyrian

Hat Man
Legacy
Jul 8, 2011
San Diego, CA
Country
US
Johnny Novgorod said:
There's this pattern to Jessica's cosplays but I can't... quite... put my finger on it...
It's just as well. I tried to put my finger on it, and now I'm in jail. (J/k, of course.)

unsafeideas

Oct 28, 2015
Imper1um said:
Factual Fixes:
Your outfit caused fire hazard must be the dumbest argument I ever heard in relation of telling people what to wear. I get that calling safety is supposed to be complete trump card, because people are afraid to argue against "safety". But seriously, this is a bit too much even for usual loose safety pulls.

Does that policy really extend to all popular cosplays? If everyone takes my pics of my sword in the doors, will I be told to make sword less cool too?

Also, "booth babe" is supposed to be someone who does not know anything about what the booth is about. Looking good does not make you booth babe, not knowing stuff while looking good does.

PunkRex

Feb 19, 2010
Nigri seems well adjusted for the amount of bile she must receive, stealing her dissenters lifes away like a classy vampire queen... has she ever cosplayed Marceline?

She works hard at what she does and it shows, I don't even follow cosplay and I know who she is... sort of.

LazyAza

May 28, 2008
She's one of the hardest working cosplayers ever and has to deal with a lot of horrible bullshit from creepers and assholes because of her chosen profession. I have nothing but respect for the women like her who do what they do.

Remus

Reprogrammed Spambot
Nov 24, 2012
unsafeideas said:
Your outfit caused fire hazard
On a side note, for bragging rights this can't be beat.

At this point I've become kinda oblivious to this plight. The articles are nice n all, but I've seen it all before. The Escapist even did an article or three about the Lollipop Chainsaw controversy so a retread is really unnecessary, if not to highlight that it was her in that crazy Deathwing cosplay.

Imper1um

May 21, 2008
unsafeideas said:
Imper1um said:
Factual Fixes:
Your outfit caused fire hazard must be the dumbest argument I ever heard in relation of telling people what to wear. I get that calling safety is supposed to be complete trump card, because people are afraid to argue against "safety". But seriously, this is a bit too much even for usual loose safety pulls.

Does that policy really extend to all popular cosplays? If everyone takes my pics of my sword in the doors, will I be told to make sword less cool too?

Also, "booth babe" is supposed to be someone who does not know anything about what the booth is about. Looking good does not make you booth babe, not knowing stuff while looking good does.
I can tell you, that the "Fire Hazard" is the biggest problem that you can run into running a convention. See, the Fire Marshal understands and knows about these events months in advance. For example, Dragon*Con. The Fire Marshal has the right to shut a show down because of people blocking entrances, and making it impossible for EMS to access all areas of the event. Seriously, the biggest fear people have at D*C is the Fire Marshal. If he says, "Clear them out or I'll stop the event," they are not playing around.

The same argument would be given for any other cosplayer, in fact, I bet its happened a dozen or so times with other cosplayers during the EXACT same event (even ones with "a cool sword" as you mentioned). However, Nigri, in her "I'll use this benign event which was made a decision to protect the event from being shut down to elevate my position," goes ahead and accuses PAX that they told her to change because "she was too sexy." She failed to mention the policy on No Booth Babes. She failed to mention that the fans were causing a blockage in a major intersection. She kept all of that out, because, hey, everyone got up in arms about Nigri having showy-them-boobs cosplays, so they told her to leave. No, that didn't happen. She told a half-truth, and used it to elevate her position, which I find is despicable. I don't care what she wears, I care that she elevates herself with these kinds of things.

See, this was complex event. Nigri was there to promote a product, and she was being paid by the product team to be there. Nigri decided to step out onto a major intersection, and people started taking pictures, because, hey, its a hot woman with almost no clothes on, that's weird, right? That's not too much of a problem, but people started hanging around, taking lots of pictures as Nigri continued to pose in different ways (you know what I'm talking about). It soon turned into a wall of people, which meant that anyone attempting to go through the intersection had to basically bump photographers, which are firmly planted in their "I'm taking a picture pose." I can tell you, as a photographer, if I'm in a pose like that, I'm like the fricken Earth Kingdom. Bumping me doesn't change where I am, but it does annoy me. Nigri's handlers just stood by and watched, and failed to disperse the crowd, or move Nigri to a better location. Nigri also failed to take charge and require handlers to move the crowd, or move herself, and, instead, enticed the crowd to stick around longer. I'm betting at one point, security tried to disperse, but, you know, people probably would do the party pooper aww, and now security is the evil, but everyone continued to take pictures, and Nigri continued to entice more to take pictures, and not move. It wasn't until security got fed up, that they invoked their right to disperse the crowd and gave Nigri a warning about the "No Booth Babes" policy, and told her to change or go back to her booth.

Did Nigri incite the event? She might have. She had the full opportunity to control the crowd, either by moving to a less-travelled location (which the event staff would have been fine with), or just asking people to move along or open up a path for people to travel through.

Did event staff act unruly? Probably not. They probably had to do the "alright, disperse you guys" thing at least a dozen times that day, with less-known cosplayers, but you didn't hear them complain, or raise an army against PAX.

Did Nigri overreact? Yes. That was obvious. Her tweets and social posts highlighted the fact that she left out information to gain followers, and raise an army. It was used to incite and is completely despicable.

Furnicula

May 20, 2015
Imper1um said:
Imper1um said:
I can tell you, that the "Fire Hazard" is the biggest problem that you can run into running a convention. See, the Fire Marshal understands and knows about these events months in advance. For example, Dragon*Con. The Fire Marshal has the right to shut a show down because of people blocking entrances, and making it impossible for EMS to access all areas of the event. Seriously, the biggest fear people have at D*C is the Fire Marshal. If he says, "Clear them out or I'll stop the event," they are not playing around.

The same argument would be given for any other cosplayer, in fact, I bet its happened a dozen or so times with other cosplayers during the EXACT same event (even ones with "a cool sword" as you mentioned). However, Nigri, in her "I'll use this benign event which was made a decision to protect the event from being shut down to elevate my position," goes ahead and accuses PAX that they told her to change because "she was too sexy." She failed to mention the policy on No Booth Babes. She failed to mention that the fans were causing a blockage in a major intersection. She kept all of that out, because, hey, everyone got up in arms about Nigri having showy-them-boobs cosplays, so they told her to leave. No, that didn't happen. She told a half-truth, and used it to elevate her position, which I find is despicable. I don't care what she wears, I care that she elevates herself with these kinds of things.
You do realize how ridiculous you sound, right?

I can't really figure out if this is satire or the usual Tumblr-dweller talk.

http://www.historybyzim.com/2012/06/bathing-suit-arrests-chicago-1922/