Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. Review - Episode 16: End of the Beginning

Zontar

Mad Max 2019
Feb 18, 2013
Darth_Payn said:
Speaking of Skye, whatever happened to her hacktivist group, the Rising Tide?
It was probably a red herring.
faefrost said:
Absimilliard said:
Anyone else notice the mention of Department H? 'Cause that opens up a massive can of worms/plot-points from the comics...
I caught that. although I suspect that it was just a throwaway line, like actually naming Project Pegasus in the pilot episode. (Although it is never directly said, it is implied that the SHIELD facility that gets wiped out by Loki at the beginning of Avengers is Project Pegasus. Which would have explained a lot at the time if they had said it. Including that long spiral tunnel chase that Hill was doing.) I am pretty sure that Alpha Flight would be a tricky thing for the show to use without cutting into Fox's Wolverine territory. Although there are a few characters they could probably get away with. Maybe Puck? (Quick somebody call Peter Dinklage!)
Well, they surly have the rights to Guardian, Vindicator, Marrina, Sasquatch, Shaman and Snowbird since none of them are mutants. Really Aurora and Northstar are the only mutants on the team, and you could have a movie about the Flight without them. What I want to know is, will we see anyone from Department H at all? And if they are in the MCU, as are S.W.O.R.D., is A.R.M.O.R., S.T.R.I.K.E., EuroM.I.N.D. and S.H.A.P.E. there?

ExtraDebit

Jul 16, 2011
Movies, TV, Games and all things in life have one thing in common, if you're not gonna take yourself seriously no one will. The whole series thus far felt like they got "ok" actors and and plot, but very poor directing.

Too many of the relationships are implied and poorly developed almost to the point of it feeling rushed. They writers and the actors supposed to tricked our emotions and make us BELIEVE in the story and their characters, but I felt nothing like that here. It feels like they're just doing an acting job and can't wait to go home.

Looking at other series and series before it like prison break, arrow or heroes. We get to know and sympathize with the characters and when they do something we can understand if not agree with their choice and when the writer choose to shock us they do it with a good story that make us feel "what's gonna happen next?". When this show shock me, it's more in line of "why the fuck did he do that? it makes no sense!" I'm talking about when the agent shot the guy in the chair.

The quality of marvel series and their movies are night and day, NIGHT AND DAY!

Sandernista

Feb 26, 2009
rutger5000 said:
That woman was screaming "I am a traitor" from the very beginning and her early departure also made it pretty clear that she was going to backstab this episode.
May?

I think its more likely that the person who is getting her logs is Fury himself.

He does this shit all the time in the comics.

Scars Unseen

^ ^ v v < > < > B A
May 7, 2009
Hafrael said:
rutger5000 said:
That woman was screaming "I am a traitor" from the very beginning and her early departure also made it pretty clear that she was going to backstab this episode.
May?

I think its more likely that the person who is getting her logs is Fury himself.

He does this shit all the time in the comics.
No, Hand. Who would have thought that the villainous looking hardass character with the villainous name would end up being the villain?

Lono Shrugged

May 7, 2009
wiz828 said:
It's just such a shame that the show is getting so good, while the ratings keep getting worse :( I think sometime in the future this show will make a great example of how the entertainment-media landscape has changed in the early 21st century. 20 years ago audiences would have had to give this show the time it needed to find its footing and would be much more inclined to keep watching it, nowadays the supply of tv shows is just so overwhelming, especially on cable, audiences will move away after a bad start.
I am not crazy about watching 13 episodes of a show in the hope it will get good. If it has good characters and writing, then I am hooked. I find it hard to care about unravelling plots when the episodes are a drag. The pilots are forgivable, but if you don't have me by episode 2 then you don't have me. You could argue that since the standard of t.v. is higher nowadays. People are less likely to tolerate crap t.v. I am a fan of marvel AND good tv and agents of shield did not do it for me at all.

The Lugz

Apr 23, 2011
Redd the Sock said:
They laid it on so thick this week I'm now thinking Skye is the clairvoyant. A hacker with access to SHIELD systems being granted more and more access and trust as the series goes on, perfectly placed to gather data and put together bad plans to keep agents confused and unaware of how they're being played. It would be a brilliant turnaround, almost too good for the show.
it'd be an interesting plot twist, but in the universe they've established.. highly improbable for a whole host of reasons, not least of which is her ordering herself shot.. ( i mean, really who does that? ) and you're really giving her too-much credit.. I mean just look at her attempt to infiltrate shield and the massive pig's ear she made of it.. she's a conspiracy-nut-geek-hacker-cracker- and general plot key. who lived in a van, a brilliant one at times but that doesn't really speak to serious connections to anything.. but obviously deception is the name of the game here i suppose.

what makes me suspicious is how the higher up shield agents and old timers are all sketchy as hell, and how we've basically been told ( by skye ) that the clairvoyant is just memorising people's background information with high level clearance to shield files, why would she give away her own m.o? if you want my guess, it's either one of the agents giving coulson the run around for nick, or victoria hand the agent who's always having a dig as skye ( since literally day one she's been a hard-ass and generally stinks of cruella de vil, so there's that. )

I could go into allot more, but it's 90% speculation so I'll leave it there

Redd the Sock

Apr 14, 2010
The Lugz said:
Redd the Sock said:
They laid it on so thick this week I'm now thinking Skye is the clairvoyant. A hacker with access to SHIELD systems being granted more and more access and trust as the series goes on, perfectly placed to gather data and put together bad plans to keep agents confused and unaware of how they're being played. It would be a brilliant turnaround, almost too good for the show.
it'd be an interesting plot twist, but in the universe they've established.. highly improbable for a whole host of reasons, not least of which is her ordering herself shot.. ( i mean, really who does that? ) and you're really giving her too-much credit.. I mean just look at her attempt to infiltrate shield and the massive pig's ear she made of it.. she's a conspiracy-nut-geek-hacker-cracker- and general plot key. who lived in a van, a brilliant one at times but that doesn't really speak to serious connections to anything.. but obviously deception is the name of the game here i suppose.

what makes me suspicious is how the higher up shield agents and old timers are all sketchy as hell, and how we've basically been told ( by skye ) that the clairvoyant is just memorising people's background information with high level clearance to shield files, why would she give away her own m.o? if you want my guess, it's either one of the agents giving coulson the run around for nick, or victoria hand the agent who's always having a dig as skye ( since literally day one she's been a hard-ass and generally stinks of cruella de vil, so there's that. )

I could go into allot more, but it's 90% speculation so I'll leave it there
I'll admit, a lot of my theory is based off typical story structure for things like this. Big bits about trust usually end in a double cross. A lot of it fits. The "let yourself get injured to make yourself seem more legit" is old spy trope, as is understating ability and manipulation to make sure everyone thinks they are making their own choices, not the ones you want them to make. As for outing her tactics, the same thing happened in the comics with Secret Invasion. Alien shape shifters infiltrated everywhere and just before making their move, outed their infiltration so the the heroes would feel they couldn't trust each other for fear they were being played. Now she's isolated Coulson who won't trust any agent with sufficient clearance and starts infighting while looking innocent by pointing it all out. While they fight each other, she gains full access to everything SHIELD knows that she couldn't get at ground level.

nekoali

Aug 25, 2009
Victoria Hand being an end-season bad guy is not a surprise. From her comics appearances she is shown to have differing views on what SHIELD's role should be from Nick Fury, and during the time Norman Osborn took over she was assistant director. She also worked with the Dark Avengers. We know that The Winter Soldier and a lot of the set up for Agents of Shield is about a schism in SHIELD's leadership and direction. I see Hand as being the 'other head' opposite Nick Fury. But I don't see her being the mastermind behind it all, the Clairvoyant.

A bomb that was dropped in this episode when the agents were confronting Nash was that something was coming... As people pointed out, the Clairvoyant wasn't threatening from himself, but from someone else. So either someone is pulling the Clairvoyant's strings, or I think more likely, the Clairvoyant sees some external threat out there. Something to big for SHIELD to take on by themselves, and they don't trust independent super powered people, like Fury's pet project the Avengers. So they are trying to build their home grown and controllable super soldiers. CENTIPEDE, the eye camera cybernetics, Deathlok project, Graviton and Blizzard were all created directly by the Clairvoyant's influence. Is he trying to put together the MCU's version of the Dark Avengers?

Clearly the Clairvoyant has a love/hate relationship with Colson and his team. He wants to know the secret to Colson's revival, but the team (especially Skye) is a wild card in his carefully constructed plan, and answerable really only to Fury. I do think that May has been spying for Fury, who is worried about the long term effects of Colson's resurrection. Hand has been trying to separate or kill off members of Colson's team since she first appeared. But in a way that won't get her in trouble with her superiors.

The Lugz

Apr 23, 2011
Redd the Sock said:
I'll admit, a lot of my theory is based off typical story structure for things like this. Big bits about trust usually end in a double cross. A lot of it fits. The "let yourself get injured to make yourself seem more legit" is old spy trope, as is understating ability and manipulation to make sure everyone thinks they are making their own choices, not the ones you want them to make. As for outing her tactics, the same thing happened in the comics with Secret Invasion. Alien shape shifters infiltrated everywhere and just before making their move, outed their infiltration so the the heroes would feel they couldn't trust each other for fear they were being played. Now she's isolated Coulson who won't trust any agent with sufficient clearance and starts infighting while looking innocent by pointing it all out. While they fight each other, she gains full access to everything SHIELD knows that she couldn't get at ground level.
all good points, but I'm still sceptical.. i also recommend winter soldier if you haven't already seen it, it's a good film and it ties in nicely here and no, it doesn't give away the plot it just helps widen it a bit

Yozozo

In a galaxy far, far away...
Mar 28, 2009
Well, having just gotten back from Capt America 2...

Things are gonna be quite... different I imagine. The old wave of speculation is thrown out the door, and a whole new wave of speculation shall begin...

DO NOT CLICK: CAPT AMERICA SPOILERS
I suspect Victoria Hand is probably working with Nick. The extra security and hush hush has all been because nobody in SHIELD totally knows who all the HYDRA members are inside. That bit at the end hints that there is gonna be a LOT of hunting HYDRA agents down in the Team Coulson's future.

Added spoiler, one of the people my wife and I suspected as being a baddie in the show is in the movie, and *totally* gets his comeuppance!

And for all we know, the clairvoyant could still be somebody else, not Victoria.

faefrost

Jun 2, 2010
Zontar said:
Darth_Payn said:
Speaking of Skye, whatever happened to her hacktivist group, the Rising Tide?
It was probably a red herring.
faefrost said:
Absimilliard said:
Anyone else notice the mention of Department H? 'Cause that opens up a massive can of worms/plot-points from the comics...
I caught that. although I suspect that it was just a throwaway line, like actually naming Project Pegasus in the pilot episode. (Although it is never directly said, it is implied that the SHIELD facility that gets wiped out by Loki at the beginning of Avengers is Project Pegasus. Which would have explained a lot at the time if they had said it. Including that long spiral tunnel chase that Hill was doing.) I am pretty sure that Alpha Flight would be a tricky thing for the show to use without cutting into Fox's Wolverine territory. Although there are a few characters they could probably get away with. Maybe Puck? (Quick somebody call Peter Dinklage!)
Well, they surly have the rights to Guardian, Vindicator, Marrina, Sasquatch, Shaman and Snowbird since none of them are mutants. Really Aurora and Northstar are the only mutants on the team, and you could have a movie about the Flight without them. What I want to know is, will we see anyone from Department H at all? And if they are in the MCU, as are S.W.O.R.D., is A.R.M.O.R., S.T.R.I.K.E., EuroM.I.N.D. and S.H.A.P.E. there?
Guardian / Vindicator (The first), Sasquatch, Snowbird, Shaman, Aurora and Northstar all began more or less as X Men antagonists with heavy ties to, and seeking to bring back Wolverine. They play heavily and directly into Wolvies backstory, which puts them in a grey area. Whereas Puck, Marina and Box, etc did not appear until Alpha Flight got their own book and have no real ties to the X Men. Marvel / Disney will probably avoid any characters that might conflict or cause confusion with Fox's X movies. They are still livid over Quicksilver.

Verlander

Apr 22, 2010
Booooooob! It's obviously an Atlantean! It had a swastika carved on it's chest - in WW2, the Red Skull kidnapped loads of them, and used their skin to make books, and experiment in general. It was featured heavily in the back story to "Fear Itself".

Halbert

Jul 13, 2008
Yozozo said:

Agreed. I have one question after seeing the movie:

It sure seems like there should be a connection between the Deathlok program/tech and the tech that gave Winter Soldier his cybernetics. Right? What's the connection? If Hydra and Centipede are part of the same conspiracy, it seems weird that they would double up on cybernetics research. Unless they're separate programs, in which case SHIELD had absolutely awful recruitment programs.

Boom129

Apr 23, 2008
yo, anyone notice next episode's preview is using music from Tron:Legacy?
Specifically, "Rinzler" and "Fall"

Yozozo

In a galaxy far, far away...
Mar 28, 2009
Halbert said:
Yozozo said:

Agreed. I have one question after seeing the movie:

It sure seems like there should be a connection between the Deathlok program/tech and the tech that gave Winter Soldier his cybernetics. Right? What's the connection? If Hydra and Centipede are part of the same conspiracy, it seems weird that they would double up on cybernetics research. Unless they're separate programs, in which case SHIELD had absolutely awful recruitment programs.
Reply cause more spoilers!
I don't think they are "doubling up." I think they have just rebranded their more covert research that they didn't want the good guys at SHIELD to get as CENTEPEDE. I bet the facility with the twins is a "Centipede" facility (or labeled itself thusly). They can drop the pretext now though, and call it what it actually is.