Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. Review - Episode 18: Providence

Jeroenr

Nov 20, 2013
I liked the episode, although it was a bit of a filler.

But what bothers me was, everyone asumed that "The Fridge" was secure.
Or were they hand picked by fury himself suggesting he knew who to trust.
But Cap 2 proved that he didn't.

The way they gained access was a bit over the top, it would have made more sense if one of the guards yels "hail Hydra" and schots the other. (simpler than that chopper ruse)

jabrwock

Sep 5, 2007
The entrance to the fridge seemed a bit silly. So you can only get in through the roof, but what's to stop anyone from just blowing their way in through those doors? You'd think a helicopter attacking the tower would put them on high alert, not on "hey, we lost contact with the roof guards, but you guys covered in blood look legit"...

I'm wondering if Raina will turn on Hydra later, she seems quite conflicted that she wasn't serving a grander purpose.

Grifter7x

Jan 27, 2014
The IMDB page for next week's episode The Only Light In The Darkness lists Blackout/Marcus Daniels...who I believe was tied to Nova? So now a Guardians tie in?

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt3609154/?ref_=tt_eps_nx

EDIT: Adding more because I'm worried about low-content...so, nice writeup Bob, I sorta put my brain on autopilot when watching this show so it's nice to have a recap in case I missed something.

jabrwock

Sep 5, 2007
Grifter7x said:
The IMDB page for next week's episode The Only Light In The Darkness lists Blackout/Marcus Daniels...who I believe was tied to Nova? So now a Guardians tie in?
He's also listed for Providence, so maybe he was one of the guys let out of the Fridge? Perhaps he'll be one of the "villains of the week" feature they get out of the fact that a whole bunch of bad guys escaped SHIELD custody.

Plus it makes sense for a GotG tie-in, they've already said that GotG will be linked to Avengers2.

Marvel is making it very clear these are all happening in the same universe, unlike other franchises...

jabrwock

Sep 5, 2007
http://www.comicbookmovie.com/fansites/notyetamovie/news/?a=98316

Here's a clip from the next episode. Spoiler Alert:
Fury "wanted a lie detector Romanov couldn't beat" (with a tease that even if she had beaten it, Fury wouldn't have told anyone anyway...)

So... I'm guessing Ward's results are going to be "inconclusive".

So it'll help ratchet up the tension as to when the team finds out about Ward.

faefrost

Jun 2, 2010
Grifter7x said:

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt3609154/?ref_=tt_eps_nx

EDIT: Adding more because I'm worried about low-content...so, nice writeup Bob, I sorta put my brain on autopilot when watching this show so it's nice to have a recap in case I missed something.
More interesting is Blackout, Blizzard, Graviton these all have one thing in common. Thunderbolts! I can dream, although to see at bolts realized as a cheesy TV show would kind of suck. Especially since you know they would save Zemo for a Captain America or Avengers movie.

Bob kind of danced around what might have been a potential misstep with the Marvel cinematic universe. For reasons of more or less international politics and marketing they swapped Hydra into the roll of the Nazis for CA the First Avenger. It worked for that movie. But the more they stretch it out the more the Hydra = Nazi's thing starts to cause them long term problems. I mean seriously? Hydra is supposed to have some underlying compelling reason to exist and recruit. In the books Hydra is a far left Marxist evolution. Kind of the ultimate left wing evolution of the Occupy Movement as a counter to SHIELDs more far right stance. There has to be something somewhat sympathetic and resonant with their message. The contrasts get even weirder when you look at that end credit scene from CATWS. Tying the Scarlett Witch and Quicksilver to essentially Nazis is kind of off putting. Especially when you consider that everything about them and Magneto is supposed to be very anti Nazi. Old School Hydra has legitimate reasons and mechanisms for recruiting minions. Marvel Cinematic Hydra makes as much sense as two guys in butterfly suits handing out flyers on a college campus. With overtones of racism and Aryan superiority. There's just a bit of a disconnect there.

As far as Skye as SpiderWoman? No idea. Could be cool. Although interestingly Spider Woman's in comic origin is almost the same as the new one for Quicksilver and SW shown at the end of Winter Soldier.

Archer666

May 27, 2011
Why is Patton Oswalt considered a "nerd god"? I've never heard of him before in my life.

Zontar

Mad Max 2019
Feb 18, 2013
Archer666 said:
Why is Patton Oswalt considered a "nerd god"? I've never heard of him before in my life.
He's a pretty big name in some science fiction and comedy circles in North America, particularly those who are into Sci-fi shows made in Canada (which, admittedly, is half of north America's sci-fi shows these days). He's the type of guy who, if you know his name, you really know his name (can't think of a better way of describing it).

VoidWanderer

Sep 17, 2011
Given Bob's broken record about the show finally getting good, I feel the need to play my own broken record and point out that Joss had to have severe restrictions on the storylines he would've wanted to do because of the movies. The show could've spoiled the movies in a way that would damage Marvel's plans for the future.

My fan theory is Ward is a triple-agent, and will end up back with 'Team SHIELD' once Garrett crosses the 'line'.

Tanis

The Last Albino
Aug 30, 2010
I REALLY REALLY REALLY hope shes' not Spider-Woman.

For one: The MCU needs some 'color' in it, Skye is not.

For two: Sorry lady who plays Skye, she's just not 'hot enough' to play Spider-Woman.

K.ur

Jul 31, 2013
Meant for Ep. 19 recap.

AWWW, Fitz will go bad for love, or at least jealousy. Thats cute.

I hope Ward stays around. For most he's the straight guy (comedy term) for me. Yes, everyone is serious, but for most i remember about his character, he had the most lines of that kind. Well, as "evil" ward he could go buffys spike road.