Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. Review - Episode 19 "The Only Light In the Darkness"

MovieBob

Dec 31, 2008
Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. Review - Episode 19 "The Only Light In the Darkness"

The Agents start to clean up HYDRA's mess, but have their own to deal with as well.

Read Full Article

Kenjitsuka

Sep 10, 2009
"but to encryption in a specific geographic location"
Yeah, this SOUNDS really good... but GPS spoofing is just super easy, even the real life FBI and local cops love to screw with phone and GPS spoofing/Man-in-the-middle-attack that shit. It started waaaaay back with cellphone (GSM): http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stingray_phone_tracker

http://arstechnica.com/security/2013/07/professor-spoofs-80m-superyachts-gps-receiver-on-the-high-seas/

Anyway, this episode was realllly boring and wasted Amy Acker's guest role.

Oh, and Bob, maybe this is a European thing, but why would I care about this Patton Oswald guy?
I vaguely remember seeing him before somewhere, and I have a really good memory.
You talk about globalization a lot, please remember people from domestic stuff are probably nobodies to huge parts of the world (and thus, the Internet).

Archer666

May 27, 2011
>Memo to the showrunners: Your target-audience already hated Ward because he was the obvious "hot guy" character.

People hated him for looking good? Really? I don't like this but Ward was never the problem, in my eyes. If anyone was, it was Skye.

Pyrian

Hat Man
Legacy
Jul 8, 2011
San Diego, CA
Country
US
Ward was part of the problem. He was a wet blanket. And that would've been okay, except... May and Fitz are also wet blankets. Having half the cast be full-on wet blankets was IMO the biggest problem with the early series. And it seems odd; I mean, Coulson's character is kind of supposed to be a wet blanket, he was originally cast as just "Man in Black", yet he totally transcends that role. So, why couldn't Ward, May, and Fitz?

vid87

May 17, 2010
One of the listed features of the Mary-Sue that reminded me of something I found particularly disturbing about Skye was the "appeal through flaws". I don't remember the episode, but I'm still flabbergasted she was allowed to work directly in the field AND CAN'T HANDLE A DAMN GUN, but it's played for laughs instead of being a deal-breaker. I wonder, though, if that was a ploy by Ward (her mentor) to sabotage her - mislead her with faulty training, possibly getting her or others killed, then chalking it up to her being a bumbling rookie? Pretty ingenious in retrospect.

K.ur

Jul 31, 2013
AWWW, Fitz will go bad for love, or at least jealousy. Thats cute.

I hope Ward stays around. For most he's the straight guy (comedy term) for me. Yes, everyone is serious, but for most i remember about his character, he had the most lines of that kind. Well, as "evil" ward he could go buffys spike road.

Zontar

Mad Max 2019
Feb 18, 2013
Kenjitsuka said:
Oh, and Bob, maybe this is a European thing, but why would I care about this Patton Oswald guy?
I vaguely remember seeing him before somewhere, and I have a really good memory.
You talk about globalization a lot, please remember people from domestic stuff are probably nobodies to huge parts of the world (and thus, the Internet).
It's more of a North American thing, but he's a big name in nerd comedy and sci-fi circles (namely: the exact type of people this show is aimed at). Basically, killing him is, to some, like killing The Doctor.

OT: Before killing Oswald, I was ok with the idea of him being a recurring villain. Now? Ward must die.

Winthrop

Apr 7, 2010
Bob, the reference to Bruce Banner designing the light amplification system seemed to really bother you but I feel like you didn't really mention the point of the line. Rather than early in the series when they would connect stuff to the Avenger's for no reason, the joke here was that it would turn Blackout into the hulk. It was said to work with gamma rays and Fitz remarked their was a slight chance that it would make the guy more powerful. Its not a great joke necessarily, but its still a joke rather than some pointless tie in. I'm sure you knew that already, but the distinction makes it not as bad in my mind.

Darth Sea Bass

Mar 3, 2009
I was thinking Ward was more interesting now he's evil last week! But yeah killing Koenig is a step too far!

Novander

Oct 30, 2009
Is there some Marvel comics significance to Koenig's nickname "Lightning Foot"? I feel I was missing a joke there.

Pat Hulse

Oct 17, 2011
Kumagawa Misogi said:
"So, Blackout joins Agents' roster of Marvel supervillains who appear in plainclothes because (supposedly) ABC TV feels differently about comic-book costuming than Disney does. Oh, well."

Black Widow, Hawkeye and Falcon say high (tempted to through in Hulk as he is CG rather than a costume) not to mention the previews of Scarlet Witch and Quicksilver.
Agreed. Marvel/Disney seems keen on doing the costume thing when it makes sense, but if they would have to shoe-horn it in, they'd rather not bother. Why would Blackout have an outfit in this situation? It just wouldn't make sense. Iron Man obviously has an outfit because it's the source of his power, and Cap has a suit because he was turned into a publicity tool for the American armed forces. Thor's outfit is basically what he always wears because he's from Asgard.

The reason everyone in the comics has an outfit is because at this point, that's just kind of what everyone in that world assumes you do once you get superpowers. You come up with a cool name, you get an outfit, and you either cause or stop crimes. The MCU is slowly building up to that point, but it's not there yet. Right now, people with powers are out-of-the-ordinary, and people with cool names and outfits are even less common. Once that changes, maybe then Blackout can show up in a crazy outfit and it won't come off as utterly ridiculous.

Sniper Team 4

Apr 28, 2010
Ward needs to die. In a painful manner, and hopefully by Skye's hand. All the people he's killed--many of whom trusted him completely--and all the innocent people his actions have gotten, or will get, killed is too much for me. And that fact that they're going with the whole, "Oh, he came from a broken family and HYDRA saved him," does not make me any more okay with what he's doing.

Is it bad that I had no idea who Maria was until the show ended and I was laying in bed (after seeing the previews even) for ten minutes before it finally clicked? I wonder why she sold out Coulson's team. I'm guessing this is part of a plan for Fury to get in contact with them.

Skye probably hid the hard drive behind the picture frame in the bathroom. Hopefully she left a note too, saying that Ward needs to die. I wonder how May is going to feel when she finds out that Koeing is dead. I wonder if she's going to tear herself up about it, thinking she could have stopped Ward if she had been there instead of running off in a fit.

Jeroenr

Nov 20, 2013
Darth Sea Bass said:
I was thinking Ward was more interesting now he's evil last week! But yeah killing Koenig is a step too far!
Well there wasn't really a way around that.
I didn't expect him leaving the lie detector room alive, seeing how things were going.

No, the apparent ease of how ward past the lie detector test bugs me the most.

The needle under you nail technique doesn't even work with current lie detector tests, so why would it here.
Although it didn't, Koenig did flag him as Hydra but didn't follow through on the question.
And saying he came back for Skye is technically true.

that and skye went from investigating to shattered world to understanding the situation to know how to deal with it in like 10 maybe 15 minutes.
Including putting the coin back.

But i must say, nearing/post Cap 2 episodes have a lot more to work with, and it is showing.
And i hope they can keep it up after the dust has settled down.

Darth_Payn

Aug 5, 2009
Zontar said:
Kenjitsuka said:
It's more of a North American thing, but he's a big name in nerd comedy and sci-fi circles (namely: the exact type of people this show is aimed at). Basically, killing him is, to some, like killing The Doctor.

OT: Before killing Oswald, I was ok with the idea of him being a recurring villain. Now? Ward must die.
OH MY GOD! They killed Koenig! You bastard! That's it, Ward's a dead man. And Garrett

I say they need to form a new crew of Howling Commandos, and having a grandson of one of the original members is a good start.

Mr. Q

Apr 30, 2013
My reaction to the death of Patton Oswald's character.

THIS IS WHY WE CAN'T HAVE NICE THINGS, PEOPLE!

Still, for a show that has been losing viewers, it has gotten better. Just hope there is either some resolution or a second season in the future.

Nepenthe87

Apr 28, 2011
Mcoffey said:
Kumagawa Misogi said:
"So, Blackout joins Agents' roster of Marvel supervillains who appear in plainclothes because (supposedly) ABC TV feels differently about comic-book costuming than Disney does. Oh, well."

Black Widow, Hawkeye and Falcon say high (tempted to throw in Hulk as he is CG rather than a costume) not to mention the previews of Scarlet Witch and Quicksilver.
Black Widow has a costume and so does Hawkeye (He even gets a new one in Avengers 2). They don't have masks, but they're pretty representative of what they look like in the comics. That said, I was fine with Blackout not having a costume. It's not like he had a lot of time to make one.
I agree. They talk about how he has a psychopathic one track mind for finding his "light." Why would he think "well I just broke out of a prison that suped up my super powers, man I could totally use a disguise right now."

Honestly the only villain who has had a costume so far really is Loki, and that costume is explained away as his Asgardian battle Regalia rather than a costume. Even other major villains like Red Skull had more of a uniform rather than a costume, and Obadiah just had a knock off bulky version of the iron man armor.

Even in the MCU the only person who is referred to actually having a "costume" is Cap because it's a symbol of his patriotism and his vows of justice and blah blah. I don't rally consider black spandex/leather jumpsuit much of a costume in the traditional comic sense.

JimB

Apr 1, 2012
There is no D in Patton Oswalt's name. Just saying.

I'd say the review covered everything pretty well, particularly how little effort the episode seems to put into its Easter eggs, which got on my tits too.

faefrost

Jun 2, 2010
Hmmm? So the new black character is the Grandson of a decorated WW2 veteran with ties to Captain America? Now where have I heard that before?

Wasn't there some speculation that one possible comics character that Mike Peterson might turn out to be was the Patriot? Well Tripp's backstory now dances awful close to Elijah Bradley's.