Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. Review - Episode 20: Nothing Personal

Redd the Sock

Apr 14, 2010
octafish said:
Man-Thing huh? That can mean only one thing, Thog the Nether Spawn will be involved...and..and...HOWARD THE DUCK IS COMING TO AGENTS OF S.H.I.E.L.D.!

In my mind this is inevitable, and for the best really.
Better fun would be doing it in a way that would allow the Howard and Man Thing movies to potentially be retconned into the cinimatic universe.

jabrwock

Sep 5, 2007
The Hungry Samurai said:
Keying the encryption of the hard drive which you keep primarily on a flying fortress to altitude......no I can't defend that. That was idiotic.
I'm wondering about that. Skye said she left them a surprise. What if a booby trapped version of the data is decrypted by the altitude coordinates? Knowing that she had already tried to turn them in, they likely wouldn't have let her do anything other than type her password in...

walsfeo

Feb 17, 2010
Sgt. Sykes said:
I didn't get that final reveal. OK so Coulson was in charge of the TAHITI project... So what? He didn't order the procedure on himself obviously, and he wanted to cancel the project. What does it matter then whether he was in charge of the project, or some nameless guy?

Besides, all this reveals is that this was a SHIELD project all along and not some 3rd party which was assumed. So what was that non-SHIELD secret facility about then?
I expect the big nexus is how Coulson recommended it be shut down, and it was apparently a still functioning program. Also, he'd ordered it shut down, and it was inflicted on him despite he'd basically said "this thing is broke, don't use it."

It's more on the "you can't trust secret organizations" theme with the twist of "but we need them to fight other secret organizations".

dalek sec

Leader of the Cult of Skaro
Jul 20, 2008
I loved Coulson's reaction to finding out Deathlok was on the plane, just made me laugh.

As much as Skye bugs me, I do like how she just ditched any feelings she might have had for Ward the second he flat out admits he's a HYDRA agent and how she calls him out for his traitorous behavior and HYDRA's Nazi past and him just failing to explain this to her. It would have been funny if it wasn't so sad and how vile his actions were.

Glad to see Ward learning the hard way he's Garrett's lapdog when Deathlok is ordered to stop his heart, and then get's the same lame excuse thrown at him, that was a nice touch as well.

For next week, sorry Ward, all my sympathy credits were used up for this year by Hansel and Gretel from "Black Lagoon".

The Hungry Samurai

Hungry for Truth
Apr 1, 2004
octafish said:
Man-Thing huh? That can mean only one thing, Thog the Nether Spawn will be involved...and..and...HOWARD THE DUCK IS COMING TO AGENTS OF S.H.I.E.L.D.!

Though I am completely ignorant about everything Howard the Duck in comics, I have seen that delightfully horrible movie and I think Howard and Whedon would be a match made in heaven.

Yojoo

Sep 9, 2010
I was really hoping that Skye would go all super-saiyan and blast a hole in the side of the Bus, vaporizing either Ward or Deathlok. They're really slow-rolling her 0-8-4 status. I'm thoroughly enjoying the post-Winter Soldier plotline, but I'm getting pretty impatient regarding the ultimate Skye reveal.

I really hope they don't spend too much time trying to redeem Ward. I won't be upset if he winds up being a recurring villain that the team has trouble hating due to their history, but Ward has crossed far too many lines by this point to ever be one of the good guys.

Now, Deathlok, I could see being redeemed. I may be over-analyzing the scene where he stops Ward's heart to get info out of Skye, but it struck me as Deathlok following the letter of his orders but rebelling in any way he can. After all, if Skye hadn't broken, Deathlok would have managed to take out a key Hydra agent while still technically following his orders. His line "Nothing personal. I'm just following orders." to Ward afterwards had a nice hint of snark, I think. Ward excuses his evil behavior with the "following orders" line, but Deathlok is starting to find ways to rebel with the same justification.

RaggedKarma

Jan 21, 2011
Yojoo said:
Now, Deathlok, I could see being redeemed. I may be over-analyzing the scene where he stops Ward's heart to get info out of Skye, but it struck me as Deathlok following the letter of his orders but rebelling in any way he can. After all, if Skye hadn't broken, Deathlok would have managed to take out a key Hydra agent while still technically following his orders. His line "Nothing personal. I'm just following orders." to Ward afterwards had a nice hint of snark, I think. Ward excuses his evil behavior with the "following orders" line, but Deathlok is starting to find ways to rebel with the same justification.
Now that makes awesome sense. We don't see what's written on his HUD for that exchange, so Garrett might have been ordering him to rough Ward up, rather than cutting straight to the nuclear option. That would be an excellent touch for the character, too. He clearly wants to fully commit to being capital-E-evil since he thinks it'll be easy dealing with the guilt every villainous act is clearly causing him, but he's not able to disassociate himself fully, so I would imagine that'd only make things worse. I can imagine him taking any chance to get back at his handlers all the sweeter.

Frankly, Deathlok is much more deserving of a redemption arc than Ward, since he's being blackmailed- on multiple levels- to work for HYDRA, whereas Ward's been on Team Evil from before the series even started. Even with the 'Ward had a really bad childhood' angle they're going to hammer in over the two remaining episodes, there's no way they can, at this point, have any kind of redemptive act for Ward that isn't a sacrificial one. Add to that HYDRA is pretty consistant when it comes to guaranteeing their members die for the cause, so he's unlikely to survive betraying them. Hell, if Ward threw down his guns before the team and promised to hug every kitten in the world, for a good five minutes each, from now on, May would still blow his head clean off.

So my guess is Ward is dead by season's end, and Deathlok goes off to enjoy some Hulk-TV-style drifter-heroism off screen.

I just really hope they actually come out and reveal some kind of super-powers for Skye before the season is done, preferably in 'Skye-is-totally-Spiderwoman' area. Just revealing that everyone loves her because of pheromones would be awesome. It's such a delightfully creepy power when you stop and think about it, and it'd explain so very much.

Zontar

Mad Max 2019
Feb 18, 2013
Until proven otherwise with the next episode, I think we can all feel safe about the whole "Ward redemption". If there's one thing the trailers have (or should have by now) taught us, it's that they lie about what we're going to see, for better or worst.

I'm putting my money on the clips we saw being a combination of "how Ward became Hydra" flashback that wouldn't take more then 5 minutes, and Fitz being in denial about Ward (which, given how their world has been crumbling around them, makes sense).

faefrost

Jun 2, 2010
The Hungry Samurai said:
octafish said:

Though I am completely ignorant about everything Howard the Duck in comics, I have seen that delightfully horrible movie and I think Howard and Whedon would be a match made in heaven.
The actual comics were dark, intense, deep biting social commentary for the time and uniquely hilarious. In other words pretty much the exact opposite of the Lucas film in every possible way. it's worth tracking down the collected "Essential" bound version of them. if for no other reason than it is one of the more revealing social commentaries on actual life and the nation in the early to mid 70's.

Man Thing would actually make sense in AoS. especially if they in some way lose the bus permanently. Among his other weird powers he is sort of a teleport nexus. So a show could use him as a sort of creepy swamp horror versionof Star Treks Transporters. (ie a way to save budget and get the cast where you need them.)

faefrost

Jun 2, 2010
RaggedKarma said:
Yojoo said:
Now that makes awesome sense. We don't see what's written on his HUD for that exchange, so Garrett might have been ordering him to rough Ward up, rather than cutting straight to the nuclear option. That would be an excellent touch for the character, too. He clearly wants to fully commit to being capital-E-evil since he thinks it'll be easy dealing with the guilt every villainous act is clearly causing him, but he's not able to disassociate himself fully, so I would imagine that'd only make things worse. I can imagine him taking any chance to get back at his handlers all the sweeter.

Frankly, Deathlok is much more deserving of a redemption arc than Ward, since he's being blackmailed- on multiple levels- to work for HYDRA, whereas Ward's been on Team Evil from before the series even started. Even with the 'Ward had a really bad childhood' angle they're going to hammer in over the two remaining episodes, there's no way they can, at this point, have any kind of redemptive act for Ward that isn't a sacrificial one. Add to that HYDRA is pretty consistant when it comes to guaranteeing their members die for the cause, so he's unlikely to survive betraying them. Hell, if Ward threw down his guns before the team and promised to hug every kitten in the world, for a good five minutes each, from now on, May would still blow his head clean off.

So my guess is Ward is dead by season's end, and Deathlok goes off to enjoy some Hulk-TV-style drifter-heroism off screen.

I just really hope they actually come out and reveal some kind of super-powers for Skye before the season is done, preferably in 'Skye-is-totally-Spiderwoman' area. Just revealing that everyone loves her because of pheromones would be awesome. It's such a delightfully creepy power when you stop and think about it, and it'd explain so very much.
That would also be extremely consistent with the otherwise fairly inconsistent take on Deathlok in the comics. He isn't a villain. he exists in a more grey area. Almost a high tech Punisher from the future. A sort of anti hero and occasional super weapon used for evil, often seeking redemption or peace.

As far as Ward? My bet is everyone thinks he's dead and someone gives him a dose of the blue juice.

Urh

Oct 9, 2010
After seeing how the showdown between Coulson and Talbot played out, I was instantly reminded of how the A-Team would occasionally have to evade the army (first Colenel Lynch, then the slightly less incompetent Colenel Decker). Surely I can't be the only one who has made this observation?

C.S.Strowbridge

Jul 22, 2010
Kumagawa Misogi said:
As to the rating it's way below CBS and NBC's offerings in ratings and a third to CBS to a half against NBC in viewers hardly good results.
Last year, NCIS was the number one program on TV. Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. has taken a real bite out of those numbers and now NCIS is only 19% above CBS's average for scripted shows. That's a great result.

Rawbeard

Jan 28, 2010
Well, I guess getting healed by alien goop is bad, if you know you have been healed by alien goop, but fine if you don't remember being healed by alien goop. Bein unconcious during the procedure is obviously not going to work, that is why Coulson and Mary Sue (holy shit, that was funny actually) are going crazy now. I guess.

Two-A

Aug 1, 2012
Kumagawa Misogi said:
Also Bob enough with the white male and not obese/skinny nerd = douchebag crap.
I think he was referring to the "eye candy" comment.

Gerishnakov

Jun 15, 2010
Screw a cameo, from what I've read of the character I want to see a Man-Thing movie directed by Frank Darabont; him or Robert Rodriguez.