Aggregate of FAVORITE all-time games lists

MintSM

Aug 16, 2014
Aggregate lists are kind of nice if you want to establish a general consensus if you aren't video-game-savvy, but since we're pretty much all gamers, what do these lists have to offer of worth?

Guy from the 80's

Mar 7, 2012
StormwaveUK said:
I don't really understand the huge ratings for Skyrim. I guess if it's your first Elder Scrolls game...my first was Daggerfall, but I think Morrowind was the peak. It blended perfectly with humour, things to do, freedom, story. This is my opinion of course, but I thought both Oblivion and Skyrim were pale in comparison. Maybe I'm getting too old for this...
If I were to guess I'd say its because its very elaborate. They did an outstanding job on creating a living world in my opinion. The first time I hiked the wildernes of Skyrim I was in awe. But its not a top 10 game though.

LetalisK

May 5, 2010
MintSM said:
Aggregate lists are kind of nice if you want to establish a general consensus if you aren't video-game-savvy, but since we're pretty much all gamers, what do these lists have to offer of worth?
Ultimately nothing. And I don't mean that as if I'm coming from that achingly narcissistic viewpoint that discredits a list simply because my special pet game didn't rank higher than a game I look down my nose at as if that makes the list personally offensive. Quite the opposite. It doesn't matter to my enjoyment if people, even a majority of people, like a game I hate or hate a game I like because we all have different tastes and none of our opinions are law or objectively better, no matter how much we would like them to be, and no one should care about lists validating their preferences. Lists like this can be interesting to show trends and where you agree or disagree with those trends, but beware those that bemoan or celebrate the list.

IceP42

Aug 29, 2010
bishopzz said:
http://www.favslist.com/users/Thomas-Thompson/3870/lists/4

Some people may think I am an insane person based on a few of those games. I usually have lower standards for squeals than other people. For example I feel like BioShock 2 is maybe 15% worse than the original, but it is still a pretty awesome game. A lot of people set their expectations for sequels a bit too high.
We do have totally different tastes and I respect that :)
It's also makes a lot of sense since you're so much younger than me (15 years).

Again, this is where the demographic filters become really interesting.

IceP42

Aug 29, 2010
MintSM said:
Just fun and interesting stats :p

Weaver

Overcaffeinated
Apr 28, 2008
Original X-Com not even in the top 100 x_x.
My old man heart weeps.

MysticSlayer

Apr 14, 2013
I'm not going to register to a site just to make a single list, but I'll put mine here anyways. Just a quick note, I didn't number the games, but I grouped the games according to their relative place, and any game in that place could change with any of the others at any given time if I were assigning numeric rankings. Also the very bottom of the list could be traded out with plenty of other games, but those were the ones I remember most fondly at the moment:

Xenoblade Chronicles
Prince of Persia: The Sands of Time

-

BioShock
Fallout 3
The Witcher
Mass Effect 3
Mario Kart 64
Super Mario Galaxy
Super Smash Bros. Melee
The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion
Medal of Honor: Allied Assault
Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare

-

Mass Effect 2
Tales of Vesperia
Super Mario Galaxy 2
The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim
Prince of Persia: The Two Thrones

-

Dark Souls
Super Mario Sunshine
Super Smash Bros. Brawl
The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess

-

Call of Duty
Super Mario 64
Super Mario Bros. 3
Dragon Age: Origins

goldenblack

Sep 11, 2012
leberkaese said:
IceP42 said:
btw Konami, where the hell is Suikoden VI??
To be honest, I didn't even play Suikoden IV and V. I heard a lot of bad stuff about the forth, so I didn't play that one and its follow-up. Didn't want to destroy the series' magic :<
You were right to shun IV for so, so many reasons, but V is very much worth a playthrough for any classic JRPG fan, much less a Suikoden fan. It isn't quite the masterpiece II was, but it very much harkens back to it. Plot is slow as hell to get going, but it's fantastic once it finally does, with a great cast of characters and the best HQ in the series. Same grind and guide-dang-it irritants as usual, but otherwise, it more than made up for IV. IV had very little tie-in to the rest of the series anyway, other than showing the one new True Rune and one small side-quest that might have foreshadowed a future plot point.

Sigh....time to resume alternately cursing Konami and praying for them to revive this series.

GiantRaven

Dec 5, 2010
I'd be really interested to see how everything would change if we were only able to select a single game as our favourite. I think we'd get a bigger spread of differing games then.

Racecarlock

Jul 10, 2010
MintSM said:
The chance to ***** at no one in particular that your game didn't make someone else's list.

It's quite amazing really. I mean, we're not supposed to be a hive mind, and yet people still complain when not everybody has the same opinion.

Hey internet, humanity is not the borg and won't be just because you say so. It's called being an individual. Get over it.

IceP42

Aug 29, 2010
GiantRaven said:
I'd be really interested to see how everything would change if we were only able to select a single game as our favourite. I think we'd get a bigger spread of differing games then.
Hmm, I don't think that would be the case. Smaller games would probably have less chance to be selected.

Leemaster777

Feb 25, 2010
bishopzz said:
Some of these comments are getting a little ridiculous. The list if called "All-Time Favorite Games" not "These are the definitive greatest games of all time". In the description it says "Go ahead, press start on creating YOUR LIST of All-Time Favorite Games", so you could argue this is a consensus favorite games list according to the 800+ people. I know everyone is upset some of their favorite games weren't listed, (I had a couple of games outside of the top thousand) but I think we need to remember being a nostalgia filled, pretentious, PC elitist wouldn't be as fun if everyone else didn't have such bad tastes in games.
Winning comment right there.

Anyways, here's mine:

http://www.favslist.com/users/Lee-Master777/4063/lists/4

The only thing that makes me cry tears of blood on this list is that Persona 4 isn't even cracking the top 50. Come on, Persona fans, make your voice heard!

At least I can take solace that Bioshock is in the top ten.

Vault101

I'm in your mind fuzz
Sep 26, 2010
bishopzz said:
Some of these comments are getting a little ridiculous. The list if called "All-Time Favorite Games" not "These are the definitive greatest games of all time". In the description it says "Go ahead, press start on creating YOUR LIST of All-Time Favorite Games", so you could argue this is a consensus favorite games list according to the 800+ people. I know everyone is upset some of their favorite games weren't listed, (I had a couple of games outside of the top thousand) but I think we need to remember being a nostalgia filled, pretentious, PC elitist wouldn't be as fun if everyone else didn't have such bad tastes in games.
but how else will we feel superior to "the masses"?

Johnny Novgorod

Bebop Man
Legacy
Feb 9, 2012
That's a pretty nice list. Cool Shadow of the Colossus is up among the Top 10 so far, with BioShock and RDR. RE4 not that far back. Lame Silent Hill 2 and Okami aren't even in the Top 60. Weird Portal 2 is beating Portal.

IceP42

Aug 29, 2010
Leemaster777 said:
Anyways, here's mine:

http://www.favslist.com/users/Lee-Master777/4063/lists/4

The only thing that makes me cry tears of blood on this list is that Persona 4 isn't even cracking the top 50. Come on, Persona fans, make your voice heard!
Nice variety of recent and old games here.
I've also got Persona 4 in my list.

beastro

Jan 6, 2012
Typical of popular rankings with the latest games in previous years dominating, intermixed with a few solid classics, but the games getting older as they go down the list.

I closed my tab after seeing Fallout 3 and NV way above FO1 and 2.

I love NV, but it could only have ranked next to the first two had Van Buren went through and it became Fallout 3 and 4.

Longing

Nov 29, 2012
Leemaster777 said:
hey, I've picked both Persona 4 and Persona 3 on there, I'm doing my part!

Leemaster777

Feb 25, 2010
IceP42 said:
Leemaster777 said:
Nice variety of recent and old games here.
I've also got Persona 4 in my list.
Yeah, I tried to limit myself to one game per franchise. Otherwise, my list would have been dominated by Persona, Kingdom Hearts, Pokemon, and Mario.

I think a person's list of favorite games reflects what kind of gamer they are. In mine, you can tell I'm into RPGs and platformers. Yours tells me that you're an old-school PC gamer at heart.