agreeing with Yahtzee: hating on Borderlands

Novania

Feb 5, 2009
The first play through was pretty fun, but once i beat the final boss i was like: "What the f***!!! Is that it!!??"

Like Yahtzee said, the story was almost totally neglected (and I cant play a game that doesn't have a good story with the exception of tetris and minesweeper). It was such a disappointment at the end of the game.

Then came the fun part of learning how to make custom weapons. Once that was perfected with some realism (as in not making a rocket-firing-incendiary-super-infiniteammo-ultradamage-kill-the-final-boss-in-one-hit-revolver) I just gave out custom weapons to people who I played with online.

On a whole, Borderlands is "OK" if you plan to ignore any sort of story and plot and replace the audio with your own itunes playlist (cause the soundtrack was pretty dull). The combat is pretty fun but I would not recommend it.

Sprogus

The Lord of Dreams
Jan 8, 2009
I like it as a game that you can just pick up and play for a little bit then go do something else.

Generator

May 8, 2009
I agree with Yahtzee in the aspect that the story was almost nonexistent. But considering it is entirely meant to be played with friends, I don't think that's such a bad thing. It keeps the action going strong without any breaks.

Honestly, the single player experience is somewhat lacking after playing the game with a friend and realizing how much better it is, but I don't think that such a bad thing; that is what the game was made as, after all: a multiplayer game. Sure, it sucks that playing alone isn't as fun, but to say that a game is only as good as its weakest link is ridiculous because that essentially means that every great game is only as good as the crappy mini-games it offers in the main hub.

JoeBloggs

Sep 5, 2009
Can't say I played it through, but playing through to level 17 and then watching a friend complete it... the ending really seems like it sucks. That final boss, and... the vault? Ugh.

Bloody Crimson

Sep 3, 2009
Never played it. Never will. Alot of the games parody'd on Unskippabble and reviewed by Yahtzee are games I'll probably never buy anyways, so it's just funny.

Xan Krieger

Completely insane
Feb 11, 2009
For starters I don't like any game that relys on multiplayer which is why I rate team fortress 2 as one of the worst games ever. Seriously no bots at all. Even UT had that much and it came out over a decade ago. As borderlands places such a heavy emphasis on multiplayer it loses several billion points right off the bat. I'd have to actually try it though to give my full judgement.

Syphonz

Aug 22, 2008
Actually I quite like when Yahtzee rips into game i like. Such as Borderlands. I love the game but I certainly know its got its flaws, and some really gaping ones at that.

Take for example let's say Yahtzee reviews Bad Company 2, and despite all the praise and perfect scores it gets (being hypothetical here just for the hell of it.) he point out things like sniping is ridiculously easy due to the bullet trail. or the fact that shotguns despite being 'statistically' powerful are anything but because you can walk within mere meters of your opponent and pump a shell in his back and he'll turn around and shoot you twice and kill you before you can even get your next shot off. "BOLLOCKS"

These are things we all know that will be left completely out of any 'professional reviewer's' write of the game. But Ben will likely make note of it, just like most of us would.

EDIT: I should make this clear, I'm not a yahtzee fanboy. I never see his videos as creditable reviews as its mostly his job to hate every game he makes a video of. I just enjoy the fact he makes clear notes on the flaws most reviews don't.

LeonLethality

Mar 10, 2009
sidereal_day said:
Yahtzee is often wrong about games, so it is unsurprising he was wrong about Borderlands. Honestly, him being wrong about things is such a regular occurrence I hardly felt it necessary to point out that he completely missed the point of the game.
He isn't wrong he just has his opinion on something. Just because someone doesn't agree with you does not mean they are wrong.

MadSquabbles

Feb 8, 2010
Personally on a FPS game I don't really care about the story, not that I play many FPS games though. I just base my opinion of it on how the action and gameplay is. An FPS game that incorporates RPG-like elements into it definitely gets a couple more stars in my book if it's done well, which in the case of Borderlands I'd have to say it is.

The biggest annoyance I find in Borderlands is the incredibly low difficulty rate, at least to me. I died to Mothrakk initially, but then nothing came close until I downloaded the Zombie Island add-on pack and went up against the Undead boss at the end, which forced me to use a couple healing kits before I was able to get the killing blow.

I understand his gripes, in particular the useless side-quests while you're leveling up and going through your first playthrough, or even the second until you clear it. But once you clear the second playthrough, all those quests you didn't do in that second playthrough are matched up to level 50 and will give appropriately based rewards (I got a couple Dark Oranges this way).

I found the claptraps to be somewhat entertaining as well, maybe I'm just incredibly weird.

Kurokami

Feb 23, 2009
MorsePacific said:
I thought Borderlands was quite a good game. It took the standard wasteland-based FPS and cranked it up to eleven with amusing characters, a colorful world, and great gameplay.

I can see where Yahtzee is coming from, but I don't agree with his opinion entirely.
I must have played a different borderlands to you, cause the world was... well Grey is probably the most accurate way to describe it, the characters were almost non-existent, and as for the gameplay I found it to be fairly average.

That being said I disliked the game, not gonna rip on anyone who does though I must admit I was glad to see so many people shared my opinion when Yahtzee ripped on it, cause I thought I missed something until that point.

sidereal_day said:
Yahtzee is often wrong about games, so it is unsurprising he was wrong about Borderlands. Honestly, him being wrong about things is such a regular occurrence I hardly felt it necessary to point out that he completely missed the point of the game.
What was the point of the game? Cause I think it missed me. (not the other way around)

Eclectic Dreck

Sep 3, 2008
I enjoyed the game for a time, enough that I feel it was a worthy investment. The general lack of depth ensured the game had little to keep me around once my loot whoring instinct was satisified.

BolognaBaloney

Mar 17, 2009
sidereal_day said:
Although, you can never be right or wrong about a game, seeing as different people will enjoy different games. It's all a matter of preference.

pwnzerstick

Mar 25, 2009
Xan Krieger said:
For starters I don't like any game that relys on multiplayer which is why I rate team fortress 2 as one of the worst games ever. Seriously no bots at all. Even UT had that much and it came out over a decade ago. As borderlands places such a heavy emphasis on multiplayer it loses several billion points right off the bat. I'd have to actually try it though to give my full judgement.
Ya, but if you got it from the orange box then you would get four great single player games, just the fact that tf2 is not linked to any of the other games in the box makes it a separate game. So I would say that tf2 does have single player.

Veldt Falsetto

Dec 26, 2009
As much of a meh fest Borderlands is, I felt that aside from story it did everything better than Fallout 3. Oh and Borderlands is only fun with friends for about an hour or so.

Also...Claptrap's awesome, he's not annoying, he's dancin'

Xan Krieger

Completely insane
Feb 11, 2009
pwnzerstick said:
Xan Krieger said:
Ya, but if you got it from the orange box then you would get four great single player games, just the fact that tf2 is not linked to any of the other games in the box makes it a separate game. So I would say that tf2 does have single player.
That's a way of looking at it I'd never heard before. I just look at it as 5 games on one disk (er rather 3 and 2 exspansions) with Half-life 2 being fun, Portal being extremely imaginative and funny, and then TF 2 which I played once for five minutes then went back to half-life 2.

ultrachicken

Dec 22, 2009
I liked it, but none of my friends have it, so I couldn't enjoy it fully.
Also, it deleted my level 47 hunter. I will never forgive it for that :mad: