AI and Business automation

TheMysteriousGX

Elite Member
Legacy
Sep 16, 2014
Country
United States
Think of all the automation that AI is being developed to solve: mostly labor intensive, low paid jobs, right?

Now imagine if you could automate all those expensive management and executive positions!

1677953264555.png

Reactions: gorfias

Worgen

Follower of the Glorious Sun Butt.
Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
AI taking jobs will be really interesting. Most automation historically, has reduced the need for blue collar workers but AI will almost exclusively impact white collar workers. Gonna get weird.

Phoenixmgs

The Muse of Fate
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
w/ M'Kraan Crystal
Remember that AI is still in essence relatively simple in many ways, it really can't learn anything itself for example. AI seems like it's far along in many instances because getting it to 80-90+% in some area isn't that difficult. Yeah, it's a lot of work on the programmers to get it there, but it's just work vs using some breakthrough coding technique. Look how AI driving cars has figuratively hit a roadblock because all the work that can go into that pretty much has gone into that and we'd need some programming breakthrough to actually get self-driving cars to be able to drive as good as a human because it can't really learn; the AI can't apply something it knows from one situation to a new and different situation that has some crossover similarities, each new situation needs to be programmed in or the AI doesn't know what to do.

Satinavian

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 30, 2016
Not surprised.
I always said that automation will soon take over jobs that are basically about moving and goods around in an abstract/detached way. Most of the finance sector would better and fairer run on algorithms. Business is not actually that difficult. Driving is way harder. It is just that humans have a lot of innate abilities that are good for driving like "recognizing objects".

The only reason it hasn't long happened already is that whenever an algorithm is introduced anywhere, people are analyzing it and looking for ways to cheat it. But that won't work well with trained and learning AIs.

However, ChatGPT writing a text is not the same thing as having any understanding of it. If you want an AI doing business, you must train it with business decisions, not with tests about it.

Baffle

Elite Member
Oct 22, 2016
Modern-day Luddites wreaking havoc on the AI by swapping around the letters on the keyboard.

mirbrownbread

Elite Member
Nov 16, 2022
Belgium
Country
Belgium
I'm nowhere close to being familiar with how advanced the AIs that drive cars are, but since there was a lot of talk about the whole "Google vs ChatGPT" affair, I have to assume that AI writing tools did change the game at least on how SEO works. And that is quite scary actually since brands work very hard to set the grounds for more organic traffic in search engines. The process is very intricate and it takes so many of the metrics that Google gauges as reference points into account. I guess you can call it fascinating as well - I found this elaborate piece on what makes a right off-page SEO strategy, and it all looks like a full-time job to me lol

But, if everyone starts using the same AI tool to saturate the net with optimized content - then big G will need to really uproot their current way of doing things. Otherwise, everyone will be super, and if everyone is super...

Phoenixmgs

The Muse of Fate
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
w/ M'Kraan Crystal
Like I basically said, artificial intelligence is the opposite of intelligent, it can't learn and it's not taking anyone's jobs because if it took people's jobs, it wouldn't have anything to imitate.

Absent

And twice is the only way to live.
Jan 25, 2023
Country
Switzerland
Like I basically said, artificial intelligence is the opposite of intelligent, it can't learn and it's not taking anyone's jobs because if it took people's jobs, it wouldn't have anything to imitate.
Don't know. It certainly depends on the field. Many of them already have a sufficiently large established corpus to mimick ad aeternam without requiring much more input.

gorfias

Unrealistic but happy
Legacy
May 13, 2009
Country
USA
Funny, just had this conversation over beers.
Back in the 1990s, chess champions would take on computers in chess and over time, it was getting harder and harder to beat the computers. By the 2000s they stopped trying. The more we learn, the faster we learn it. The faster, the more.
The missus asked wont machines always need humans?
What if they become self powered (Solar and other chargers?) self repairing, self improving and self replicating?
And could an intelligence that can memorize War and Peace in a second have any kind of relationship with a human that may need that second to answer a yes or no question?
Love them Terminator movies. Hope they stay fiction.

Elvis Starburst

Unprofessional Rant Artist
Legacy
Aug 9, 2011
Back in the 1990s, chess champions would take on computers in chess and over time, it was getting harder and harder to beat the computers. By the 2000s they stopped trying. The more we learn, the faster we learn it. The faster, the more.
There was a whole video essay related to this topic and was quite a fascinating watch. If anyone here is interested and has a few hours to kill I highly recommend it

Phoenixmgs

The Muse of Fate
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
w/ M'Kraan Crystal
Don't know. It certainly depends on the field. Many of them already have a sufficiently large established corpus to mimick ad aeternam without requiring much more input.
I can see AI causing telemarketer jobs to disappear and some really basic customer services jobs like food ordering but kiosks already can do that.

The missus asked wont machines always need humans?
What if they become self powered (Solar and other chargers?) self repairing, self improving and self replicating?
And could an intelligence that can memorize War and Peace in a second have any kind of relationship with a human that may need that second to answer a yes or no question?
Love them Terminator movies. Hope they stay fiction.
There's a pretty high chance that actual AI is not even possible. If AI does kill us, it will be because we inadvertently programmed it to do so.

lostinreality

May 20, 2021
Country
UK
I do agree that AIs can potentially upset capitalism and one day be able to perform a job without human supervision, but I don't see it happening any time soon. I read about "AI anxiety", and okay, I get it, but, it's not like we don't use AIs to aid our daily routines nowadays. Talking about automation software (any available on the market) still works for me, not instead of me, knock on wood. It's this human who sets the flow and benefits from integrations and automation so far. Basically, every time we arrange a set of rules comprising a sequence that loops around we're "building" an AI. Like, I use scanning software to save me some time in the office but don't feel like it could ever entirely substitute me. Even if it can "understand" the content of a PDF via OCR and instantly send fresh scans to the correct folder - it's no more than an e-filing cabinet that's merely acting on the rules I've set. I've only directed it to search for a phrase and if it finds it, then it will send that doc to the correct folder. So, there's no room for the software to protest over any of this or change the rules on its own accord. And ok, I recognize the difference between automation and AI (even if automation can include the AI elements, that's not always the case), but I don't see the human factor getting excluded from the equation.

Gergar12

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 24, 2020
Country
United States
I am an OpenAI subscription member. It's so helpful, and I love that my workplace allows me to use it.

CaitSeith

Formely Gone Gonzo
Legacy
Jun 30, 2014
Everyone loosing their jobs against the AIs? Highly unlikely.

Countless jobs gradually being replaced by a lesser number of workers specialized on commanding the AIs while the AI industry keeps improving their capacity and ease of use? Much more realistic, and, based in history, probably the direction corporations are going to want to go.

gorfias

Unrealistic but happy
Legacy
May 13, 2009
Country
USA
There was a whole video essay related to this topic and was quite a fascinating watch. If anyone here is interested and has a few hours to kill I highly recommend it
Great watch, thanks for sharing! I skipped around and got the point. By around 2000, Deep Blue beat Kasparov. 2000. I think that was Pentium 4 and 32 Meg, not Gig: MEG of RAM was a good desktop. 1000 times that much RAM for instance, is a new standard for a good desktop today.
I can see AI causing telemarketer jobs to disappear and some really basic customer services jobs like food ordering but kiosks already can do that.
There's a pretty high chance that actual AI is not even possible. If AI does kill us, it will be because we inadvertently programmed it to do so.
I keep hearing of programmers being taken aback by thing AI is saying (something like, I have no intention to do x to humanity, but humanity would be foolish to think they could stop me). A hoax? Did the programmer accidently put these kinds of things into the thing?

Everyone loosing their jobs against the AIs? Highly unlikely.

Countless jobs gradually being replaced by a lesser number of workers specialized on commanding the AIs while the AI industry keeps improving their capacity and ease of use? Much more realistic, and, based in history, probably the direction corporations are going to want to go.
The challenge in the modern world has been different from earlier instances of "creative destruction" in that everything is happening so fast, displaced people aren't able to adjust quickly enough, creating a very uneven benefit to the market. I predict this AI will make robotics look like a breeze by comparison.

I went to https://chat.openai.com/ and very simply asked it to write a brief screen play (and this during a screen writer's strike), a song and a legal motion. I had to give it topics and what it spit out no doubt needs a little editing, but what it delivered, for free, was eye opening.

Last edited:

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
I went to https://chat.openai.com/ and very simply asked it to right a brief screen play (and this during a screen writer's strike), a song and a legal motion. I had to give it topics and what it spit out no doubt needs a little editing, but what it delivered, for free, was eye opening.
Stick with it for a little while, asking it to continue the story or whatever. Very soon it stumbles and falls over. It is impressively good at imitating the way certain things appear, it the worst way of style over substance.

OTOH, the bar is currently set very low, so it can scrape by, but not compared to people putting real effort it.

gorfias

Unrealistic but happy
Legacy
May 13, 2009
Country
USA
I'm nowhere close to being familiar with how advanced the AIs that drive cars are, but since there was a lot of talk about the whole "Google vs ChatGPT" affair, I have to assume that AI writing tools did change the game at least on how SEO works. And that is quite scary actually since brands work very hard to set the grounds for more organic traffic in search engines. The process is very intricate and it takes so many of the metrics that Google gauges as reference points into account. I guess you can call it fascinating as well - I found this elaborate piece on what makes a right off-page SEO strategy, and it all looks like a full-time job to me lol

But, if everyone starts using the same AI tool to saturate the net with optimized content - then big G will need to really uproot their current way of doing things. Otherwise, everyone will be super, and if everyone is super...
Got a B on an MBA paper, passing the bar exam... yow.

Reactions: mirbrownbread