Airlines asking men to move seats because they might be molesters

Howard Kuo

Jan 12, 2011
Dudes.... Parents get fucking weird about their kids. It's like hormones or something. Sexual discrimination is stupid but so is putting your kid on a plane by himself. <-- even dumber. Regardless of parental responsibilities, Kids are fucking annoying on planes! I would've been glad to move. Who would pay hundreds of dollars to get on a plane just to have to deal with some annoying kid? And who the hell would buy a plane ticket with the express hope that random chance will put them in a seat next to a child for them to molest?! And if it was such a big fucking deal to the guy, he should've just demanded an upgrade.

Zack Alklazaris

Oct 6, 2011
First off who the hell is dumb enough to molest a child on a plane?
Second if we formed rules based on criminal statistics this whole country would be in trouble. No blacks, you can't go into stores because statistically they are more likely to rob the place. No men, you can't drive because statistically your more likely to get into an accident. No women, your not allowed to see your children because statistically your more likely to kill them than men.

Sigh... look you can't keep unaccompanied minors off planes. If the have separated parents who don't have the time or the money to accompany them on the plane then that child never sees their other parent. If its really such a big deal move the kids to the outside seats where people can see them easier.

deadish

Dec 4, 2011
This is just insulting. It would be like refusing an African-American service because he might be a drug dealer ...

The airline should have been sued.

deadish

Dec 4, 2011
Buretsu said:
Insurance companies charge more because of the stereotype that men are all careless and reckless, while women are all careful and fastidious, so men are more likely to crash their car.
It's probably due more to statistics than "stereotype".

This does bring up an interesting question though, when is it OK to discriminate based on statistical data and when should it not be.

Hmmm, maybe it's necessary to evaluate this on a case-by-case basis. In the case of insurance, it's fairly harmless - the only victim is the wallet of half of the human population. In the case of "moving men away from children", ... , this could have repercussions in the development of the children and for functioning of society as a whole.

Don't taze me bro

Feb 26, 2009
I was just talking with a co-worker, how in my profession (education, elementary level), the pendulum has swung a bit too far against the men in the industry. They wonder why there is a massive gender imbalance in the profession too.

Case 1. If two staff members were attending an overnight excursion with a group of co-ed students then the following combinations of staff gender are acceptable. Female + Female. Male + Female. Two male teachers is considered unacceptable.

Case 2. I had a female student on the sporting team I coach not get picked up after school training. This student lived only a few blocks away. If I were a female teacher, then I could just walk the student home unaccompanied. As a male, I would not even consider doing this. I asked a female colleague to help walk the student home with me.

Case 3. Our school has not had a male Kindergarten teacher for over 20 years. I once indicated I would like the experience from working at the Kindergarten level, but a senior colleague indicated that it wouldn't happen as it would 'raise too many eyebrows' among the community.

As a male in the education industry, we have to be extremely careful. I never have students alone in the classroom. I don't hug students like I see other female colleagues do. Some people are definitely a suspicious about men who work with and around children.

Baron von Blitztank

May 7, 2010
Asita said:
Baron von Blitztank said:
Oh fuck off! If we're putting it into potential possibilities then anyone can be a molester!
You see that person walking down the street? MOLESTER
Your neighbor? MOLESTER
Your girlfriend? MOLESTER
You? MOLESTER
Nothing is safe! Anyone could rape you at any time! Don't go outside! TRUST NOBODY!
Wasn't that a South Park episode? Clearly we need to emulate it and send all the children away for fear that we shall due them harm!
I'm afraid it isn't that simple. I mean what's to say that other children aren't molesters?
No. I'm afraid the only solution is to send probes across the far reaches of space with messages of self loathing. We must tell the Universe that we cannot be trusted as a species and that we must be wiped out to prevent us from doing any more damage to eachother. Surely some form of intelligent life will hear our plea, realise our mistakes and learn from us and they will one day come to eliminate humanity as an act of pity and kindness. The only way to solve this is to remove all parts of the problem.

theblindedhunter

Jul 8, 2012
I think this isn't so much an issue of "oh gosh feminists discriminating against men" as it is a concern for the safety of children in the situation taking precedent over other things, in some people's eyes. Women aren't typically thought to be in that same situation (whether these things are actually disparate I think is partly up in the air, since the assumptions made may leave women child molesters from discovery), so you go with what is statistically more secure.
Personally, I think that was an awful way to handle it, though I can understand the concern.

omega 616

Elite Member
May 1, 2009
Good, move me! Move me far away from the kid as possible!

I would much rather be considered (by people I will never see again) to be into kids, than sit next to one for a few hours.

Morally, it is fucked up but oh well.

Dogstile

Jan 17, 2009
Boudica said:
FalloutJack said:
Just explain to the airline people "I LIKE WOMEN MY AGE!" and they should immediately leave you the hell alone.
Better yet, scream "I LIKE LARGE BOOBIES AND ADULT FEMALE BODIES" as loud as you can and you'll probably get a few seats all to yourself.
I've actually seen this done. He did get a seat to himself. In the security room, back in the airport.

Silly airlines, it was just harmless fun.

Captcha: I'm batman

Well ok then.

Krantos

Jun 30, 2009
Aethren said:
People tend to be a rather hypocritical bunch
Fixed that for you. Lets not discriminate against feminists for discriminating against men for discriminating against women.

It makes my head hurt.

I think we're all hypocrites to an extent(some more so than others, probably), you can't just limit to feminists. Especially since that term is so vague it's almost nonsensical. There are many types of feminists and most of them are a good thing. It's just the idiots that give them a bad name.

For example, take a look at some of the women in middle east countries. These women are risking death for something as simple as going to school. http://www.cnn.com/2012/08/02/world/meast/cnnheroes-jan-afghan-school/index.html?iref=allsearch

Feminism is not bad. Bad feminists give it a bad name.

Phasmal

Sailor Jupiter Woman
Jun 10, 2011
Don said:
As a male in the education industry, we have to be extremely careful. I never have students alone in the classroom. I don't hug students like I see other female colleagues do. Some people are definitely a suspicious about men who work with and around children.
It's a sad thing, I've witnessed this as well (I'm a nursery worker).
I think one of the things we need to dispell is the thoughts like - `Why would a man even want to work with kids?`
These things usually come from the dads (but can also come from mums) and I have a few theories about why (1, perhaps they don't see it as a `real mans` job and there most be something `up`. 2, The dads I knew who were more iffy about it were the dads who would only pick up the kids like once a week, so they never got to know any of these people. I think if they'd just talked to them, they'd be more okay with it).

In my college when I was studying childcare we had a lot of posters up trying to encourage men into childcare.

Dags90 said:
Phasmal said:
(like dude I was talking to yesterday who doesn't like male nursery nurses)
No male nursery nurses? Why not? Is baby rape really that big of a problem? Is he going to eat the baby? I'm seriously confused.
Dude argued that he can't tell which ones are wrong'uns so he wouldn't want his kids taken care of by a dude.
Obviously, I disagree - but I know many parents can be overly protective.

spartan231490

Jan 14, 2010
Eri said:
Jez said:
Multiple airlines reserve the right to force any man sitting next to an unaccompanied minor to switch seats with a woman. They say the policy is due to "parental concerns," but it's probably mostly due to the airline companies wanting to cover their asses; parents have sued airlines over child molestation incidents in the past.

The most recent case took place on Qantas Airlines, when a flight attendant asked a 31-year-old male nurse sitting next to a 10-year-old girl to switch seats with a woman on the opposite side of the aisle. The nurse said he was "humiliated" by the switch. "After the plane had taken off, the air hostess thanked the woman that had moved but not me, which kind of hurt me or pissed me off a bit more because it appeared I was in the wrong, because it seemed I had this sign I couldn't see above my head that said 'child molester' or 'kiddie fiddler' whereas she did the gracious thing and moved to protect the greater good of the child," he told The Age.
http://jezebel.com/5934753/should-airlines-be-allowed-to-forbid-men-from-sitting-next-to-unaccompanied-minors

Jez is typically a very feminist site and never tolerates discrimination against women. But suddenly many of their comments are ironically cheering on the very discrimination they rally against. Comments like;
Most men aren't child molesters, but most child molesters are men. That's just a fact and whatever humiliation an adult male may feel by being asked to switch seats pales in comparison to the trauma child abuse victims face.
So what is your take on the airlines issues? Here's mine, quoted from someone who pretty much said exactly what I would've.

You know what? Most Muslims aren't terrorists, but most airline terrorists are Muslim. It only makes sense that Muslims should be kept as far away from the cockpit as possible. If they're sitting up front, just ask them to move.

So what if a few Muslims are humiliated? It's nothing compared to what the victims of 9/11 felt.
Any discrimination should not be tolerated, it's not magically okay since it happens to men less.
^That guy you quoted is pretty spot on. Also, since nobody important carries an correct opinion about anything and nothing will change for the better, those fuckers should at least be made to apologize to the men for moving seats, maybe offer some small monetary compensation.

Fappy

\[T]/
Jan 4, 2010
Country
United States
Valanthe said:
While discrimination is bad in any form, I'd like to ask a more important question, Who the hell lets a 10 year old fly unattended?
My sister and I flew alone to see our father several times between the ages of 11 and 15. Any unaccompanied minors are under the watch of airline personnel and cannot enter or leave the plane without them. Theoretically they are also supposed to stop in every once and awhile and check on you.

People do this stuff all the time and there are plenty of regulations that govern it. Depending on your age, they even let your parent(s) bring your to your gate even though they aren't normally supposed to make it past security without a ticket.

Zaik

Jul 20, 2009
Is anyone actually surprised the same people using this shit(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Backscatter_X-ray) are doing crap like that?

I don't know how non-cargo airlines still function as a business treating all of their passengers like criminals.