Akane No Kill and possible misogyny: a follow up to Anime and Female Charcters

Izanagi009_v1legacy

Anime Nerds Unite
Apr 25, 2013
Rainbow_Dashtruction said:
Izanagi009 said:
Izanagi009 said:
In the vein of my Anime and Female Characters [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/forums/read/18.859014-Anime-and-Female-characters-yes-this-topic-again?page=1] topic, I found a comment on Anime News Network by one of the reviewers, Hope Chapman, about Akane no Kill and why it is actually misogynistic here [http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/bbs/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?p=4343696#4343696]

The basic thrust is that all the woman are reduced down to their gender and sex appeal and that there is a rape joke that goes too far.

I haven't seen the show so I can only reiterate what was posted so please read and comment as you please.
So? Its proven to make more money then not doing it. Therefore, the majority vote agrees making sexual female characters is a good thing with the only vote that matters. The wallet.

And regardless, many women in many anime are well written, just because a bunch of anime have proven its a good business practice and the important majority agrees doesn't mean they all do. And since as I said, its proven to make money, they tend to add sex shots onto well written characters because doing so increases sales. Its a proven concept, and since the majority agrees its a good thing, (Because remember, the only voice that matters is the wallet) women sexualization is a good thing.
I guess that sexualization is as much a tool for stories as any other but you have to use it right or I and many other will be really pissed since all you are doing is just make a character for sex appeal. I really wish more of these sexy characters have a personality, character development, or are just good but we have to deal with so much waifu bait and TnA that it's really aggravating.
They nearly always do. Unless its cheap entertainment. As an extremely cynical asshole, I can say that if you always focus on the worst examples of entertainment, your opinion will always be in the negative. There is plenty of examples of women who aren't waifu bait every season of anime. If you focus on cheap harems designed solely around boners or laugh boners for your incredibly empowering women, your looking in the wrong place. And don't think those harems are gonna become more empowering. They got a nice profitable nest egg there, and their sure as fuck not gonna go against the popular opinion that their amazing just because some Tsutsukakushi says something about women or something...something.

Honestly, with their cheap harem shows, I want well written men before we get to women like in The Hentai Prince and the Stony Cat. Let them take it slow, lest you give the creators headaches.
I suppose that I am focusing on the wrong shows but I still am pissed off. I honestly wish that writers will actually get some fresh air and learn how people interact (I think Miyazaki said something about this); It would certainly help with the base writing quality of these shows and if nothing else will give us better harem protagonists.

Zechs

Jun 5, 2013
Honesty this show is metaphorically garbage a friend said it was good so I gave it a go. This show insults everyone's intelligence that watch's it. "how bad could it be?" well the tone of the show is awful one minute the main character sees that his friends had been horribly tortured to death (dark and edgy stuff) and the next there's mind numbingly bad "fan service" and poor attempts at humor. Also the group of "assassins" that the MC joins has a sniper girl that wears a bright purple dress and another that uses giant scissors.. these are just a few examples of how stupid this show can be there are many more.

generals3

Mar 25, 2009
Izanagi009 said:
I guess that sexualization is as much a tool for stories as any other but you have to use it right or I and many other will be really pissed since all you are doing is just make a character for sex appeal. I really wish more of these sexy characters have a personality, character development, or are just good but we have to deal with so much waifu bait and TnA that it's really aggravating.
I'm not sure which animes you watch but plenty of those i watched involve both cheap fan service and good female characters. And I have learned to enjoy cheap fan service, for me it's comic relief. The more obvious it is the more I laugh at the absurdity. Probably not what the authors intended but in a way it's "working".

And i'd say Akame Ga Kill is one of those animes which managed to combine fan service and personality.

Izanagi009_v1legacy

Anime Nerds Unite
Apr 25, 2013
generals3 said:
Izanagi009 said:
I'm not sure which animes you watch but plenty of those i watched involve both cheap fan service and good female characters. And I have learned to enjoy cheap fan service, for me it's comic relief. The more obvious it is the more I laugh at the absurdity. Probably not what the authors intended but in a way it's "working".

And i'd say Akame Ga Kill is one of those animes which managed to combine fan service and personality.
I try to avoid fanservice but I suppose stuff like Spice and Wolf does have some fanservice while making Holo a well fleshed out character. My issue is that even in a show like Code Geas (lets not get into that debate here) the fanservice can be far too extreme for a show with it's tone or be very out of place thematically.

You can laugh at the absurdity and obviousness but I can only see cynical pandering.

CpT_x_Killsteal

Elite Member
Jun 21, 2012
Aaaah and so it spreads. (The typing out font is different. Looks better, good job whoever suggested that.)

First of all, ice-lady-whatever-her-name-is, is NOT characterized as slutty in anyway, neither is she shown as "horny". So good job on the asshat for saying she is for no apparent reason.

Also, she isn't wooed by his "fighting" prowess, she gives multiple factors for what she's looking for in the show. SHE FUCKING LISTS THEM.

But, fuck, apparently a woman going after she wants is a "horny evil slut".

I'm not gonna go on with the rest, because a) that's the part that stood out to me, and b) I could write an essay about all the ways this person is wrong.

I can only stand in wonder at this person's post count/join date and wonder how if they've either miraculously survived while holding these dogmatic beliefs, or if they've 'turned' more recently and gone off the deep end.

And for fuck sake, it's Akame ga kill not "Akane no kill"

Izanagi009_v1legacy

Anime Nerds Unite
Apr 25, 2013
Izanagi009 said:
Izanagi009 said:
Izanagi009 said:
In the vein of my Anime and Female Characters [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/forums/read/18.859014-Anime-and-Female-characters-yes-this-topic-again?page=1] topic, I found a comment on Anime News Network by one of the reviewers, Hope Chapman, about Akane no Kill and why it is actually misogynistic here [http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/bbs/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?p=4343696#4343696]

The basic thrust is that all the woman are reduced down to their gender and sex appeal and that there is a rape joke that goes too far.

I haven't seen the show so I can only reiterate what was posted so please read and comment as you please.
So? Its proven to make more money then not doing it. Therefore, the majority vote agrees making sexual female characters is a good thing with the only vote that matters. The wallet.

And regardless, many women in many anime are well written, just because a bunch of anime have proven its a good business practice and the important majority agrees doesn't mean they all do. And since as I said, its proven to make money, they tend to add sex shots onto well written characters because doing so increases sales. Its a proven concept, and since the majority agrees its a good thing, (Because remember, the only voice that matters is the wallet) women sexualization is a good thing.
They nearly always do. Unless its cheap entertainment. As an extremely cynical asshole, I can say that if you always focus on the worst examples of entertainment, your opinion will always be in the negative. There is plenty of examples of women who aren't waifu bait every season of anime. If you focus on cheap harems designed solely around boners or laugh boners for your incredibly empowering women, your looking in the wrong place. And don't think those harems are gonna become more empowering. They got a nice profitable nest egg there, and their sure as fuck not gonna go against the popular opinion that their amazing just because some Tsutsukakushi says something about women or something...something.

Honestly, with their cheap harem shows, I want well written men before we get to women like in The Hentai Prince and the Stony Cat. Let them take it slow, lest you give the creators headaches.
I suppose that I am focusing on the wrong shows but I still am pissed off. I honestly wish that writers will actually get some fresh air and learn how people interact (I think Miyazaki said something about this); It would certainly help with the base writing quality of these shows and if nothing else will give us better harem protagonists.
Heres the thing about anime. It has, on average, been the only medium I've ever seen that has consistently made good stories a couple of times a year. Literally no other medium can say this. My rule of thumb is quite simple:

"Sure, the majority of anime sucks. Sure, they shovel the shows out and thats why it has good animes on a regular basis but disproportionate level of good to bad. But the thing is, I am not watching the easily spotted bad anime. I'm watching the good anime, and really as a viewer, its all that really matters"

And harem has always been a genre that rarely is good. The Hentai Prince and the Stony Cat is one of my favorite anime of all time, not top 5, but its high up there. Is literally any other harem anime up there? No. Does it matter? Not really, it'll either learn to change or collapse in on itself and the problem is gone, like all crappy done genres. And while I'd love to see more characters like that anime, which while it certainly had quite a bit of moe (really outside Tsutsukakushi Tsukiko adorably warming up with her complete lack of emotion and her amazing eating animations, I never really noticed any moe outside the opening and closings) it had a small cast of well written characters, outside the clearly intendedly stupid character who was clearly a joke and nothing more. It also had an intelligent male protagonist, which was awesome.

And yeah, I'd like to see more like it. But in the end, that doesn't really matter. They will either move towards it or stay in a low quality bubble which like all mediums, genres and things, will burst from the sheer amount of people thinking its an easy success. And the remainders will be the few good harems. And since I am a viewer and not a content creator, wont care. I only have to watch the good anime after all.
I suppose but now the question becomes why harem is a genre that is rarely good; lots of stories in the past have had Harems and some are classics so why can't you make a good harem. Is it because writers don't want to put effort in making the protagonists, male and female, fleshed out?

Username Redacted

Dec 29, 2010
Izanagi009 said:
ThingWhatSqueaks said:
generals3 said:
Izanagi009 said:

It's utter nonsense. First of all "misogyny": The moment someone uses that word i assume a load of bollocks is coming and I was right. That poster just threw a load of random waffle with some feminist key words here and there and hopes people will fall for it.
Really? My bollocks-sense started tingling when the OP couldn't be assed to actually get the title of the show right. The tingling hit Defcon 1 levels once OP admits to not having ever seen the material that they're looking to discuss. Which IMO is quit obvious as he is pretty much completely off in his assessment of the show. Having actually seen the show my two main complaints about it are very different in nature than the allegations of misogyny. These would be the fact that it seems to have a very juvenile approach to violence/gore and that the interaction between the straight and gay characters in a couple of instances are equally juvenile (and even then one of these interactions leads to a moderately adorable bromance).

Also looking (briefly) at the thread that the OP linked to I really want to go full Inigo Montoya on the (likely) poster in question regarding what the word misogyny actually (per an actual dictionary) means:
You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.
To address the point of the title, sorry, it was a stupid misstep and I really should have checked my work. In addition, the comment made by the person was what sparked my interest; I tried to remain neutral by just conveying what was said without adding my own point to it. Again, sorry if I failed to present the comment without putting my views in but I heard the show had issues so I thought it would be interesting to talk about it.

Also, I would like to actually hear why you believe what the commenter I linked to said got the term wrong. Given what she said (yes, the commenter is a she), if not misogynistic then it's very juvenile and would probably make someone pissed off.
Misogyny (noun): hatred, dislike, or mistrust of women.

So outside of some clumsy attempts at fanservice I don't see anything in the show that would really fall under that description and even making the stretch to call fanservice a dislike of women seems harsh to me. Childish pandering? Yah, you betcha. Dislike? No. Of the main female characters only one out of five has been sexualized (unrealistic breast size + female fantasy armor). Every single female character is shown (outside of the one whose running joke is related to this) to be eminently competent and capable with multiple sections across several episodes having the protagonist serve as a student to the various female characters (i.e. they're better at this assassination thing than he is). In short it's a kind of dumb/juvenile show that portrays its female characters IMO, in the simplest terms, as badasses. Really doesn't seem like a show that hates, dislikes or mistrusts (not really sure how a piece of media would show its mistrust) women. I'm not even saying it's a great (or even particularly good) show but I am very much going to call out an assessment that seems as off base as the one you linked to.

Your last statement is one I find very frustrating in that if one is watching something that is pissing one off why wouldn't one simply stop watching it? I have never understood those who simply tough it out with regards to the material that is offending them and then later complain about it. If you didn't like it or found it offensive then why did you continue watching it?

UberGott

Feb 20, 2014
Oh! You meant "Akame ga Kill". Gotcha.

I've not seen the show, thus I don't have an opinion of it. But at least Hope's argument appears to be "this show is sexist because the female characters are focused on stereotypical feminine values", rather than "the show is sexist because... I mean look at it, there's tits everywhere". That's a distinction I wish I saw more regularly when discussing shows we already know are NEET-baiting pseudosmut.

I say that as a big Queen's Blade fan, mind you.

Edit: Maybe I'm not thinking straight, but are there a lot of "classic" harem shows - much less any released in the last decade anyone would defend that isn't already the target audience? I know stuff like Ai Yori Aoshi, Love Hina and Tenchi Muyo! were novel when they were released, but I think today they'd probably be ignored as more of the same wish-fulfillment junkfood.

Majinash

May 27, 2014
And harem has always been a genre that rarely is good. The Hentai Prince and the Stony Cat is one of my favorite anime of all time, not top 5, but its high up there. Is literally any other harem anime up there? No. Does it matter? Not really,
Not even Tenchi? It was like the alpha-harem anime and it still holds a place in my heart. Comedic genius.

OT: I was confused at first this was some other anime I hadn't seen... No I think Akame ga Kill isn't very sexist. I feel like it kinda peaked at the end of episode one and hasn't gotten that dark again yet. But I guess that is how a hook is supposed to work so hats off to them.

Izanagi009_v1legacy

Anime Nerds Unite
Apr 25, 2013
ThingWhatSqueaks said:
Izanagi009 said:
ThingWhatSqueaks said:
generals3 said:
Izanagi009 said:

It's utter nonsense. First of all "misogyny": The moment someone uses that word i assume a load of bollocks is coming and I was right. That poster just threw a load of random waffle with some feminist key words here and there and hopes people will fall for it.
Really? My bollocks-sense started tingling when the OP couldn't be assed to actually get the title of the show right. The tingling hit Defcon 1 levels once OP admits to not having ever seen the material that they're looking to discuss. Which IMO is quit obvious as he is pretty much completely off in his assessment of the show. Having actually seen the show my two main complaints about it are very different in nature than the allegations of misogyny. These would be the fact that it seems to have a very juvenile approach to violence/gore and that the interaction between the straight and gay characters in a couple of instances are equally juvenile (and even then one of these interactions leads to a moderately adorable bromance).

Also looking (briefly) at the thread that the OP linked to I really want to go full Inigo Montoya on the (likely) poster in question regarding what the word misogyny actually (per an actual dictionary) means:
You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.
To address the point of the title, sorry, it was a stupid misstep and I really should have checked my work. In addition, the comment made by the person was what sparked my interest; I tried to remain neutral by just conveying what was said without adding my own point to it. Again, sorry if I failed to present the comment without putting my views in but I heard the show had issues so I thought it would be interesting to talk about it.

Also, I would like to actually hear why you believe what the commenter I linked to said got the term wrong. Given what she said (yes, the commenter is a she), if not misogynistic then it's very juvenile and would probably make someone pissed off.
Misogyny (noun): hatred, dislike, or mistrust of women.

So outside of some clumsy attempts at fanservice I don't see anything in the show that would really fall under that description and even making the stretch to call fanservice a dislike of women seems harsh to me. Childish pandering? Yah, you betcha. Dislike? No. Of the main female characters only one out of five has been sexualized (unrealistic breast size + female fantasy armor). Every single female character is shown (outside of the one whose running joke is related to this) to be eminently competent and capable with multiple sections across several episodes having the protagonist serve as a student to the various female characters (i.e. they're better at this assassination thing than he is). In short it's a kind of dumb/juvenile show that portrays its female characters IMO, in the simplest terms, as badasses. Really doesn't seem like a show that hates, dislikes or mistrusts (not really sure how a piece of media would show its mistrust) women. I'm not even saying it's a great (or even particularly good) show but I am very much going to call out an assessment that seems as off base as the one you linked to.

Your last statement is one I find very frustrating in that if one is watching something that is pissing one off why wouldn't one simply stop watching it? I have never understood those who simply tough it out with regards to the material that is offending them and then later complain about it. If you didn't like it or found it offensive then why did you continue watching it?
She is a reviewer for Anime News Network so she kind of has to watch it but i do get your point.

I would say that a female character can be a badass but still be a bad character if there is no personality or the personality is very base with no development but I will not attach that to the show since I have no idea about it.

SUPA FRANKY

Aug 18, 2009
Izanagi009 said:
SUPA FRANKY said:
Izanagi009 said:
SUPA FRANKY said:
See. THis is why we watch shows. If we don't know what we're talking about, we look foolish.

You realize that the strongest character in the entire series, who everyone fears, is a women right?
I very well will accept the allegation of being a fool, I merely wished to hear from people if their thoughts were similar or divergent from the commenter's and for what reasons.
Aww... Now I feel bad.

Anyway, no, Akame ga Kill is far from sexist lol. Sure, there is fanservice, but come on! How is fanservice bad? ( Besides, there is male fanservice as well. Bulat wears muscle shirt, and there is a seen that shows his muscles flexing and jiggling and the camera zooms in on them.)

I mean, when the strongest character in your series is a women, who's mere mention of her name causes countries to shit their pants, how is it sexist/misogyny?

But IO guess a person can see sexism in everything if they try hard enough, which kinda makes the word loses it's meaning.
I would say read the edit but just because the writing says someone is powerful, if the actions or framing don't fit then there will be dissonance. Plus if it's true that the setup for next episode has the protagonist being dragged off by a person to be raped is true, then it could be really problematic to say the least.

as for the concept of fanservice, it's used so often with stupid reasons that I've kind of become cynical about it.
I can only recall 2 moments of fanservice ( Tastumi walking in on Mine dressing and a shot of Akame in a bikini)

Seriously, I don't know who told you this, but they obviously haven't seen the show.

The leader of the entire group is a women. The 2 most feared generals in the entire empirewere women. Lionel, Akame, Mine, are some of the heavy hitters of the team.

And there is no fanservice during battles lol.

Seriously, this is why no one likes SJW. Most of the time they don't even watch the shows they ***** about ( Not aimed at you Izanagi)

generals3

Mar 25, 2009
CpT_x_Killsteal said:
But, fuck, apparently a woman going after she wants is a "horny evil slut".
To be fair, she is evil. Slutty however... considering she had such high and strict standards, which some characters deemed unrealistic, that wouldn't make any sense at all.

Izanagi009 said:
She is a reviewer for Anime News Network so she kind of has to watch it but i do get your point.
o_O Why would anyone even consider hiring someone who spouts the nonsense she spouted for such a job. It's like that CNN debacle where the "specialist" thought 4chan was a person.

Izanagi009_v1legacy

Anime Nerds Unite
Apr 25, 2013
SUPA FRANKY said:
Izanagi009 said:
SUPA FRANKY said:
Izanagi009 said:
SUPA FRANKY said:
See. THis is why we watch shows. If we don't know what we're talking about, we look foolish.

You realize that the strongest character in the entire series, who everyone fears, is a women right?
I very well will accept the allegation of being a fool, I merely wished to hear from people if their thoughts were similar or divergent from the commenter's and for what reasons.
Aww... Now I feel bad.

Anyway, no, Akame ga Kill is far from sexist lol. Sure, there is fanservice, but come on! How is fanservice bad? ( Besides, there is male fanservice as well. Bulat wears muscle shirt, and there is a seen that shows his muscles flexing and jiggling and the camera zooms in on them.)

I mean, when the strongest character in your series is a women, who's mere mention of her name causes countries to shit their pants, how is it sexist/misogyny?

But IO guess a person can see sexism in everything if they try hard enough, which kinda makes the word loses it's meaning.
I would say read the edit but just because the writing says someone is powerful, if the actions or framing don't fit then there will be dissonance. Plus if it's true that the setup for next episode has the protagonist being dragged off by a person to be raped is true, then it could be really problematic to say the least.

as for the concept of fanservice, it's used so often with stupid reasons that I've kind of become cynical about it.
I can only recall 2 moments of fanservice ( Tastumi walking in on Mine dressing and a shot of Akame in a bikini)

Seriously, I don't know who told you this, but they obviously haven't seen the show.

The leader of the entire group is a women. The 2 most feared generals in the entire empirewere women. Lionel, Akame, Mine, are some of the heavy hitters of the team.

Seriously, this is why no one likes SJW. Most of the time they don't even watch the shows they ***** about ( Not aimed at you Izanagi)
Well, she thought that Elfen Lied and Brynhildr in the Darkness were a bit overly manipulative with emotions while being indulgent with the violence, rape, and infantalization. This is merely what I recall she says so don't take my words fully

I think she, like I, am getting really pissed at shows with too much fanservice or generic badasses. Could she be firing blind, maybe, but I will say that if this is how she sees it, we have the right to debate but she is not obligated to change her mind

Also, Again, reviewer for the site, probably watched the show, over and over again.

SUPA FRANKY

Aug 18, 2009
Izanagi009 said:
SUPA FRANKY said:
Izanagi009 said:
SUPA FRANKY said:
Izanagi009 said:
SUPA FRANKY said:

Aww... Now I feel bad.

Well, she thought that Elfen Lied and Brynhildr in the Darkness were a bit overly manipulative with emotions while being indulgent with the violence, rape, and infantalization. This is merely what I recall she says so don't take my words fully

I think she, like I, am getting really pissed at shows with too much fanservice or generic badasses. Could she be firing blind, maybe, but I will say that if this is how she sees it, we have the right to debate but she is not obligated to change her mind

Also, Again, reviewer for the site, probably watched the show, over and over again.
Just because she's a reviewer of a site doesn't mean she can't be wrong.

The only attire I would say would be for fan service purposes is Leone, but she's a beast kind of character. Sort of like Kratos or the Quanari in Dragon Age.

Remember, the show is about a corrupt empire who commit attrocities and the like, and Night Raid has to stop it.

EyeReaper

Aug 17, 2011
Izanagi009 said:
First of all, I just want to say that someone named after Izanagi claiming to be a fool made me chuckle.

But anyways, on topic.

I watch the anime, I like it. And for the life of me, I cannot tell why this show is misogynistic. I don't see it at all. Most of the women aren't dressed provocatively (except for the one who uses her sex appeal to rob people) and are never portrayed as useless, or weak. Sure, there's some moments of fanservice, but a teenage boy using x-ray glasses (accidentally, I might add, he didn't know that would happen) isn't mysoginistic, and neither is the camera focusing on the women when the women are fighting, and maybe I just missed it, but I don't remember the camera ever blatantly focusing on the female "assets" during a fight or serious times.

Also, just because a woman is naked, or scantily dressed, does not make torture sexy. Saw 3 proved that. Unless you are a sadist, of course.

Username Redacted

Dec 29, 2010
Izanagi009 said:
Her forum thing labeled her as 'ANN Assistant Editor' which, given her projecting of personal prejudices onto a quit frankly very middling anime, makes me think that that site isn't particularly selective about its staff. The fact that a few posts after the one you posted she starts trying to re-define words to suit her argument is some 3rd grade 'Everything proof shield' level garbage. Her ability to form a coherent argument starts degenerating almost immediately when she doesn't even get the facts straight about the series that she's supposed to be reviewing.

I would say that a female character can be a badass but still be a bad character if there is no personality or the personality is very base with no development but I will not attach that to the show since I have no idea about it.
Eh, none of the shows characters are super well developed. So far we've seen a few "most tragic backstory" ever moments and little else. I would also like to reinforce the idea that bad character =/= misogyny. Again, this isn't a great show but the comments being leveled against it are concussion grade facepalm material.

Izanagi009_v1legacy

Anime Nerds Unite
Apr 25, 2013
SUPA FRANKY said:
Izanagi009 said:
SUPA FRANKY said:
Izanagi009 said:
SUPA FRANKY said:
Izanagi009 said:
SUPA FRANKY said:

Aww... Now I feel bad.

Just because she's a reviewer of a site doesn't mean she can't be wrong.

The only attire I would say would be for fan service purposes is Leone, but she's a beast kind of character. Sort of like Kratos or the Quanari in Dragon Age.

Remember, the show is about a corrupt empire who commit attrocities and the like, and Night Raid has to stop it.
To address the points

I was merely saying that the claim that she didn't see the show is false due to her job, not that she can't be wrong

Yeah, an evil empire that commits atrocities, just replace Night Raid with the Black Knights and you have Code Geass which a lot of people don't have issue with the female characters. If this is only one person's opinion, fine, but I still wonder why she thought there was misogyny but that's more innate curiosity than anything.

Izanagi009_v1legacy

Anime Nerds Unite
Apr 25, 2013
ThingWhatSqueaks said:
Izanagi009 said:
Her forum thing labeled her as 'ANN Assistant Editor' which, given her projecting of personal prejudices onto a quit frankly very middling anime, makes me think that that site isn't particularly selective about its staff. The fact that a few posts after the one you posted she starts trying to re-define words to suit her argument is some 3rd grade 'Everything proof shield' level garbage. Her ability to form a coherent argument starts degenerating almost immediately when she doesn't even get the facts straight about the series that she's supposed to be reviewing.

Eh, none of the shows characters are super well developed. So far we've seen a few "most tragic backstory" ever moments and little else. I would also like to reinforce the idea that bad character =/= misogyny. Again, this isn't a great show but the comments being leveled against it are concussion grade facepalm material.
A bad character may not mean misogyny but it is still annoying to have to deal with the bad writing especially when we have had shows that did crazy, stupid and fanservice packed but with good writing (Kill la Kill obviously, I really need to stop using that show as a reference). If it's not misogynistic, fine but it is still stupid enough for me to bash my head if all the development they have is what you said.