Alan Wake is "Done"

Vegeta187x

Jul 2, 2008
Fearzone said:
You didn't really pay much attention to the video did you?
Fine, perhaps I spoke hastily, maybe it will be great. But if so, I say just give us a great game instead of telling us that sometime down the road you'll be giving us a great game. I look forward to reading reviews and evaluating it as a possible purchase WHEN it does come.

Isn't that what every single game company does? Tells the public that they're going to be delivering a great game sometime in the future? A game company is allowed to hype its game. In fact, I can't think of many big name companies that DON'T hype their games. Stop trying to find things to be hostile towards.

grimsprice

Jun 28, 2009
i don't really find these... 'interactive movie' games very fun. i guess i'm just afraid of not having very much control over the game.

scotth266

Wait when did I get a sub
Jan 10, 2009
This trailer has inspired renewed interest in me. I was getting disillusioned from the E3 presentation, but this seems much better.

FrndlyMisanthrpe

May 28, 2009
I would honestly buy a 360 just to play this game. I think I jizzed my pants while watching this...
No, I didn't, but it still looks amazing. I really like plot-driven games.

Zetona

Dec 20, 2008
It looks great, has an interesting premise, and is supposedly open-world, but I'm worried that it could turn into an ordinary shooter if you're always given a flashlight, unless said flashlight is not overly powerful against enemies.

Fearzone

Boyz! Boyz! Boyz!
Dec 3, 2008
Isn't that what every single game company does? Tells the public that they're going to be delivering a great game sometime in the future? A game company is allowed to hype its game. In fact, I can't think of many big name companies that DON'T hype their games. Stop trying to find things to be hostile towards.
Just trying to throw out an olive branch there. From the video I still think the story looks totally hackneyed and a Steven King rip off and probably a bad one at that. The light dynamic might be interesting, but otherwise I see another boring rail shooter and why don't they just release if it is done rather than saying it is done.

There is hype, and then there is saying "oh we're done... but we aren't yet finished... but it will be good... trust us." There is one review of this that I'm looking foward to and that's Yahtzees.

Doug

Apr 23, 2008
NoMoreSanity said:
It looks suspiciously like Alone in the Dark, which turns me off.
Don't judge it by Alone in the Dark; Atari are stupid - so stupid, in fact, they thought alone in the dark was good enough to sell.

The folks developing this aren't Atari. Therefore, it may still end up a pile of dogcrap, but it at least has the opportunity to be excellent.

Doug

Apr 23, 2008
Fearzone said:
... but otherwise I see another boring rail shooter ....
How do you get that? If anything, it looks more like GTA in gameplay, not House of the Dead or any of those godawful arcade rail shooters.

Amarok

Dec 13, 2008
Pendragon9 said:
Reminds me of Duke Nukem Forever. A bit generic for my tastes.
I literally have no idea how you managed to compare the gameplay of Duke Nukem forever to the gameplay we just saw of Alan Wake.

You could have at least said "it reminds me a bit of silent hill" or "it reminds me of alone in the dark"

but the DUKE!?

Comparing an intentionally cheesy shooter to a drenched-in-thriller-tropes "psychological action thriller" is just weird.

In fact, I think you've literally made my brain explode, how I'm still alive to be able to hit send is beyond me.

SMOKEMNHALO2001

Sep 10, 2008
I've been excited about this game for years! I'm still waiting with arms wide open, 2010 is going to be a good year for gamers.

Pendragon9

Apr 26, 2009
Amarok said:
Pendragon9 said:
Reminds me of Duke Nukem Forever. A bit generic for my tastes.
I literally have no idea how you managed to compare the gameplay of Duke Nukem forever to the gameplay we just saw of Alan Wake.

You could have at least said "it reminds me a bit of silent hill" or "it reminds me of alone in the dark"

but the DUKE!?

Comparing an intentionally cheesy shooter to a drenched-in-thriller-tropes "psychological action thriller" is just weird.

In fact, I think you've literally made my brain explode, how I'm still alive to be able to hit send is beyond me.
i was more referring to the hype thegameplay made. i'm willing to give the game a chance if the fanboys dont ruin it.

Proteus214

Game Developer
Jul 31, 2009
It looks interesting. If the story is as good as they're making it out to be, I might be interested.

Clockwerk133

Jul 7, 2009
Definitly looks promising. Light being used as a weapon might turn out to be a good gameplay concept.

WJeff

Aug 14, 2009
It's a really stupid move on Microsoft's part. They should know that most Remedy fans are on PC. I understand that they want to push their poorly built console, but they just neglect the PC completely now. And they could make a lot of money off of GFW-Live if they put even the slightest bit of effort into it.

WrongSprite

Resident Morrowind Fanboy
Aug 10, 2008
NoMoreSanity said:
It looks suspiciously like Alone in the Dark, which turns me off.
My thoughts exatly. Just the general style of it, using fire/light to kill things etc. And that flashlight looks horrible.