Alan Wake Rockets Into the Black

Ickorus

Mar 9, 2009
You seeing this From Software & Namco Bandai?

Dark Souls PC, get on it.

And on-topic:

Totally picking up Alan Wake now, the developers seem like good guys and the game looks pretty cool, of course, my main reason is that it might convince other developers to start sticking their games on PC again. That'd be nice..

duchaked

Dec 25, 2008
"Really, it was more of a decision from the heart than a commercial one but of course it's nice to see it doing well."

ah hey that's really good to hear

SenseOfTumour

Jul 11, 2008
Putting piracy aside for a moment, what many companies seem to not realise, is there's a tiny market for used PC games, what with cd keys, accounts, and digital.

Give it six months, when the sales of Alan Wake have dwindled to near nothing, and they can slap it in the summer sale for 50%/66% off with DLC, and watch another million sales fall into place.

Any console game gets a spike of interest and people are rifling thru preowned shelves in Gamestop/searching Ebay/Amazon resellers.

In short, if Painkiller had been a console game, Yahtzee's review wouldn't have netted the makers a damn cent.

Even a couple of years after release, if you price it at five bucks, you'll see a huge number of sales, and 200 thousand new customers is another million in the bank AND a huge surge of interest in a sequel, it's marketing as well as sales.

Aity

Jan 26, 2012
I'm really glad to see the PC community stepping up and supporting a really good dev team. Kudos all around.

veloper

Jan 20, 2009
No kidding the PC port paid for itself so quickly. 8 people * 5 months is trivial for a triple-A game. Compare to a typical AAA game development which is more like 2 years with 10 times as many people.

You don't need to sell many games to cover that. Risk free project really.

What's surprising is that there aren't more 360 to PC ports. This was a very good, high quality port. An average port should take even less effort.

TheMann

Jul 13, 2010
Hey, I have to ask this. Is Alan Wake worth my $30? I mean, it might seem like I'm being s bit cheap, but I usually don't buy games till they're on sale. However, if I purchase before March 1st, I get the game, plus some DLC, plus a graphic novel (not sure how much I'll like that but what the hell, it's free), plus the soundtrack. NOw, I love a good story in my games, so I'm willing to overlook some shortcomings in gameplay if the story is totally awesome. So, is Alan wake worth it to a guy like me? Just thought I'd ask.

Signa

Noisy Lurker
Legacy
Jul 16, 2008
Country
USA
TheMann said:
Hey, I have to ask this. Is Alan Wake worth my $30? I mean, it might seem like I'm being s bit cheap, but I usually don't buy games till they're on sale. However, if I purchase before March 1st, I get the game, plus some DLC, plus a graphic novel (not sure how much I'll like that but what the hell, it's free), plus the soundtrack. NOw, I love a good story in my games, so I'm willing to overlook some shortcomings in gameplay if the story is totally awesome. So, is Alan wake worth it to a guy like me? Just thought I'd ask.
According to the Steam forums, it's the best game many have played. One of my roommates feels it is quite good too. Personally, I'm waiting for the retail release, because like you, I'm a cheap bastard now. $30 is too much for a digital game, but I'll drop that if I get a box and disk to go with it. The forums said it's coming March 2nd.

I just hope that those comments aren't overblown. I just finished a positively orgasmic experience beating Okami, and it's been really hard to find a game I want to even tinker around in since.

Alone Disciple

Jun 10, 2008
Alan Wake is one of the most underrated games in all of the Xbox arsenal. I'm happy to hear that Steam brought Alan back to the forefront.

Here's hoping that MS may take a second, serious look at this property and maybe bring us a bonafied sequel. One of my all time faves on my console.