Alan Wake Sells Two Million

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
Alan Wake Sells Two Million

The future looks bright for "cult classic" Alan Wake, which has now sold more than two million copies on the Xbox 360 and PC.

Alan Wake [http://www.amazon.com/Alan-Wake-Xbox-360/dp/B0010AYJXI/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1331668626&sr=8-1] wasn't exactly a runaway hit when it came out on the Xbox 360 back in mid-2010, earning good reviews but not exactly selling a truckload. But Remedy, the studio responsible for the game, persisted with two DLC releases, the stand-alone Xbox Live Arcade release Alan Wake's American Nightmare and of course the long-awaited PC version of the game, and now two years down the road it turns out that the game has sold a couple million copies. That's not a huge hit in today's industry but the studio is pretty happy about it, and it goes a long way toward ensuring that we haven't heard the last of Mr. Wake.

"We've moved over two million copies - that's including PC," Hakkinen told CVG [http://www.computerandvideogames.com/339789/alan-wake-sales-top-2-million-series-has-a-future/]. "So after a slow start it's turning into something really positive. It's definitely had legs. I think narrative experiences just have a tendency for that."

"Alan Wake is definitely very close to our hearts. It's our IP - we own it. It's not something that we're going to forget very easily," he continued, explaining that the franchise will likely continue. "After Max Payne [http://www.amazon.com/Max-Payne-Pc/dp/B00002SUOV/ref=sr_1_7?ie=UTF8&qid=1331668749&sr=8-7] we could've literally gone, the whole team, and sat on a beach and sipped cocktails for quite some time. It's no secret that the Max Payne franchise was sold for $45 million. That put us in a really promising situation, but at the same time our hearts are in making video games and not in sipping cocktails on the beach."

Hakkinen didn't break down the sales by platform but said that the 360 releases make up the "lion's share" of sales, while the PC release is what pushed it over the two million mark. The XBLA release Alan Wake's American Nightmare is also doing very well, he added.

"The franchise as a whole is doing well and its great to see new fans finding Alan Wake and experiencing our story," he said. "Personally, I think in general games get 'old' way too quickly, but there seems to be something ageless about how a good story engages people, and judging by the fan responses we have gotten, Alan Wake seems to be doing just that. It actually feels quite similar to how people find great movies they missed when they first came out."

The retail edition of Alan Wake for the PC is set to hit North American shelves on April 3.

vrbtny

Elite Member
Sep 16, 2009
Considering that Kingdoms of Amalur is A new IP and that only sold 333,000 copies, I would say that makes this pretty darn succesful.

Especially for a intelligent game, and not just another FPS

I ain't hating on FPS's here people, I'm merely stating basic market facts that any game that's not a FPS(unless it is on the wii) will struggle to sell millions upon millions of games.

FPS's is the highest selling genre, it's a fact. Not a personal opinion

Am I the only one loving this new Captcha?

Yopaz

Sarcastic overlord
Jun 3, 2009
vrbtny said:
Considering that Kingdoms of Amalur is A new IP and that only sold 333,000 copies, I would say that makes this pretty darn succesful.

I ain't hating on FPS's here people, I'm merely stating basic market facts that any game that's not a FPS(unless it is on the wii) will struggle to sell millions upon millions of games.

Uhm, why did you put that last bit in spoiler tags?

OT: I feel like I've done my part in this at least. I have bought both the PC version and the Xbox version of Alan Wake and I will buy American Nightmare, but I will have to wait to see if that gets a PC release too.

SovietSecrets

iDrink, iSmoke, iPill
Nov 16, 2008
And it was worth every penny when I bought it for 360 a couple months ago. I didn't expect to enjoy the game so much. Looking forward to getting through American Nightmare after ME3.

DrunkPickle

Sep 16, 2011
I think this works pretty well; it's better to start smaller and build up over time, rather than release a huge blockbuster and then get crushed under the expectations for a sequel.

Terramax

Jan 11, 2008
I'm sorry, but from what I've played, Alan Wake just isn't that good a game. It's average at best. It's nice it sold well enough, but the ought to have been improved. It ought to not rely on a simple gimmick in the combate to differenciate it from others, and it needs to be genuinely scary.

These guys made Max Payne, so I know they can do better.

Andy Shandy

Fucked if I know
Jun 7, 2010
Good to see, really enjoyed it when it came out. Just need to get round to getting American Nightmare at some stage.

Just_A_Glitch

Dec 10, 2009
I say it every time Alan Wake is brought up in the news, but Alan Wake was EASILY my favorite game of 2010. I can't think of anything that came even close to rivaling it. I loved the story, I loved the characters, the gameplay mechanics were solid and interesting (the flashlight being used to aim gave me such joy for some reason). It was a well deserved breath of fresh air to my game library. Yeah, it was kind of short, but it more than made up for it by just being flat out fun (and the DLC chapters aided in the "too short" complaint). I can't recommend the game enough, and the same goes for American Nightmare. Now, as much as I enjoy American Nightmare, I would love a proper sequel. Let's go Remedy. With both Alan Wake and Max Payne under your belt, you are quick on your way to becoming my favorite developer (even if you are a big proponent of digital distribution, which I'm not too keen on due to my craptastic internet).

The Rogue Wolf

Stealthy Carnivore
Legacy
Nov 25, 2007
Stalking the Digital Tundra
Nice that they've finally put it on PC, but the load of drama they instigated when they first reneged on PC release soured me on the game. Maybe I'll get it when it hits $10 on Steam.

Bat Vader

Mar 11, 2009
I bought it back in February and I absolutely loved it. I am playing it again on Nightmare difficulty to get all the manuscript pages. If a sequel ever gets made I hope they release the PC version along with the console version at the same time instead of waiting two years.

Ickorus

Mar 9, 2009
It's a very good game with a very cool way of presenting narrative, glad it's doing well and I can't wait to learn more about Mr Scratch.

Oh and of course, YOU SEE THIS NAMCO BANDAI!? Dark Souls PC. Do it.

Reaper69lol

Disciple of The Gravity cat
Apr 16, 2010
Flailing Escapist said:
Only 2 million? People are missing out.
I agree, Alan Wake was absolutely brilliant in my books. Also, I hope these sales figures encourage them to make a sequel.

Flailing Escapist

Apr 13, 2011
Reaper69lol said:
Flailing Escapist said:
Only 2 million? People are missing out.
I agree, Alan Wake was absolutely brilliant in my books. Also, I hope these sales figures encourage them to make a sequel.
I'm not sure where I saw this but Remedy (or Sam Lake) said they were definately going to make a sequal Alan Wake but they weren't sure when.

SirCannonFodder

Nov 23, 2007
vrbtny said:

Kingdoms sold 333k in just the US. Don't know the figures for other places, but it was No 1. on the UK charts a month back.