Treblaine

Jul 25, 2008
Caramel Frappe said:
kburns10 said:
If the aliens randomly dance in the game I'll Redbox it :p
Desert Punk said:
kburns10 said:
its one of those things, where the longer you watch it, the funnier it gets, yet the sadder it gets at the same time

The Critical Miss comic is actually not far from the truth ether. That little dancing panel you saw- yea.

This game had such potential to be INTENTIONALLY a funny game

Joccaren

Elite Member
Mar 29, 2011
Dr.Sopel said:
I don't mean to inflame, but I wonder how any of the last three Bioware games qualify as even remotely bad. One of them is technically The Escapist's latest Game of the Year. Nothing makes me more sad in the games industry today than the amount of shit Bioware gets for slight flaws in otherwise great games. Especially in the RPG genre which I always considered quite tolerant of big flaws in otherwise great games (see Vampire: The Masquerade - Bloodlines, any Fallout game). Especially especially when compared to stuff like DNF and (apparently) ACM that has the same price tag. But that's just me.
To be fair it all depends on what you want out of the games.
The RPG genre is fairly tolerant of flaws in games, so long as the game still focuses on being an RPG. You don't find a lot of true RPGs out there these days, and thus people tend to become rather aggressive against games that change from being primarily RPG to being primarily something else.
This is where a lot of the hate for some of Bioware's games comes from. DA2 as an example, where the second can still technically be played like an RPG if you try to, and you bump it up a few difficulty levels, but otherwise plays largely like a Hack'N'Slash with some levelling options. You spam buttons at enemies that randomly appear on the battlefield in fast paced combat, not greatly RPG like. Additionally things like removing armours for followers and just having upgrades that you can only buy at one point in the game and if you miss them are gone for good kinda went against the RPG nature of things too.
ME3... Play ME1 after it and tell me they feel like the same series. You've got the same protagonist, largely the same cast, same world - but they don't feel alike. Its like watching return of the Jedi then Revenge of the Sith. Things like the removal of player choice when it comes to most of the dialogue in the game, as well as increased focus on combat and action based problems as opposed to exploration of the world and more thought based problems took ME2 and turned it even more shooter, despite it supposedly going back to its RPG roots. Then there were the sidequest and journal issues and a bunch of other things that bit by bit wore people out on the game.
I don't think anyone will deny that ME3s combat is the best in the series [Except Infiltrator IMO. I still want to be able to snipe enemies from 1Km away, like I could in ME1, but that's more level design really], but along with the improved combat everything else took a turn to be more actiony - which is not what a lot of people wanted from Mass Effect. Even the story took a more action based turn, and was focused more on space ninja fights and explosions than in finding a way to stop the Reapers or gaining allies.

To be fair I don't entirely blame Bioware for this. Reasons for them doing each thing based off fan feedback can be found [I.E; less dialogue because most of the dialogue was almost the same anyway], however their way of fixing such complaints was the easy and lazy way out a lot of the time, which wasn't what people wanted [Removing choice from dialogue as opposed to improving the options you're given in dialogue].

Also I don't think it took three games for the fans to turn on Bioware, I felt like the vocal ones turned right after DA2 and they were already turned by the time ME3 came out. I almost think the players who like BioWare don't post on forums all that much (say like, for example, myself) - at least that's the only explanation I can find for ME3 being voted GotY here after nearly a year of ME3 rage in the threads.
I don't know. After DA2 a lot of people felt burned, but were fairly willing to forgive Bioware 'cause they said they were making ME3 epic, with tons of promises that sadly never came to be. People were definitely somewhat cautious of Bioware after DA2, but ME3 was the tipping point. Its why, if you go back through a thousand or so threads to the ones made near the start of the whole fiasco, you'll find a lot of people who say "I could understand DA2 thanks to its rushed schedule, I didn't care about SWTOR 'cause I wasn't into KotOR anyway, but this is it", or variants thereof basically forgiving DA2, SWTOR and ME2, dependent on what a given person liked, and damning ME3.
And yeah, most people who liked ME3 don't comment that much 'cause it does cause flamewars quickly. As we can see from a reference made to Bioware as opposed to even Mass Effect, there's been a few posts in this thread already discussing the issue =/

Skeleon

Nov 2, 2007
Undead Dragon King said:

That should make you feel better.
If we die this day we die in glory... heroes' deaths... but we shall not die... no, it is the enemy who will taste death!
Yay! So rallying! So eloquent!

Erttheking

Legacy
Oct 5, 2011
Country
United States
Caramel Frappe said:
kburns10 said:
Desert Punk said:
kburns10 said:
its one of those things, where the longer you watch it, the funnier it gets, yet the sadder it gets at the same time

The Critical Miss comic is actually not far from the truth ether. That little dancing panel you saw- yea.

Well, there's only one appropriate response to this.

Vauban

Sep 14, 2008
I'd say lot of the hate that Bioware gets is not solely because of the last 3 games themselves, each having a myriad of problems in it's own right. I thinks it's the companies' attitude toward its customers and how it conducted itself when met with any kind of feedback that could be remotely considered negative. That's what ultimately made me decide not to buy another Bioware game until I either pirate it to see if it's good or until the gaming community reaches a consensus.

DA:2 was alright but there were huge flaws. ME3 was enjoyable until the you know what, loved the genophage sequence. TOR was when I got hit with buyers remorse full force. I got my moneys worth out of it but it just felt like a beta and we were sitting waiting for the game to actually be released.

All of this was nothing compared to how the Bioware reacted afterwards. I could go into that but I don't feel like typing 10+ pages. They made me lose all respect for them. Bad games are something every company has to put up with at some point. Hopefully the company will learn from its mistakes and make a better game next time but what you don't do is treat your customers like garbage and refuse even constructive feedback.

This is where Gearbox could still turn things around. If they listen to their customers and don't treat them poorly then they will be willing to purchase future games and support the company, but that all depends on how the company reacts. I hope they can turn things around. I enjoyed Borderlands, stayed the hell away from Duke Nukem and was considering buying A:CM until I heard about this. I would hate to see this company stop making good games and go the way of Bioware.

ChristopherT

Sep 9, 2010
I'm not fond of Gearbox, the only games I know them for are Duke Nukem Forever, Borderlands 1 n 2, and now Aliens: CM. If they can handle the backlash and come out of this alright then I'll consider thinking they might be able to entertain. I just don't care for Borderlands, it seemed so empty to me, the weapon "numbers" was just a silly stupid sales pitch, as well as some small things - I did however really enjoy the Zombie Island DLC, the monsters were fun, and the lack of fast travel was interesting to have there - and Borderlands 2 just doesn't appeal to me after 1.

I'm gonna Stephanie Brown the following Bioware rant, 'cause it's a Bioware rant...Bioware + Rant

As for the Bioware, thing. They did it to themselves, an amount of journalists didn't help maters, but still. The blow over is only as bad as it was and is because of the eruption that resulted from the backlash of the ME3 ending. Not so much the ending itself(though that didn't help), not the fans voicing their displeasure, but Bioware's treatment of their fans and the media mindset to protect Bioware, it was all just so stupid. I wouldn't care if Bioware stopped at saying that it was their game, they made it, it's their story, the end - that would be fine, I wouldn't be happy with the end, boo hoo, I'd move on. But they didn't, they then started against the fans, so fuck them. I'm butt hurt, whatever, there's just a line, and I think bioware and some journalists crossed it. And those journalists who called out the fans for whatever reason "whiny" "entitled" "cry babies" - fuck you too.

I feel like I need to re-install AvP 2 on my PC now. Comic made me smile though, sadly(?) one of my childhood drawings is still on my mom's fridge.

Olas

Hello!
Dec 24, 2011
BurnedOutMyEyes said:
I wonder, what are those 3 games they mentioned to have turned the fans against BioWare?
Mass Effect 3 and Dragon Age 2 are obvious, but I have no idea what the third is.
Probably Star Wars: The Old Republic. Perhaps they weren't the homeruns people were expecting but anyone who really thinks these are 'bad games' needs to go and play an actual bad game for once to get some reference.

Warachia

Aug 11, 2009
ChristopherT said:
So I'm clearly missing something, when did they turn against their fans exactly?
I guess everyone here is also just going to ignore that extended cut DLC too then? If you don't like it fine, but don't pretend they didn't try to fix a big mistake.

MeChaNiZ3D

Aug 30, 2011
shadowmagus said:
Considering how bad Aliens is apparently, and how mad gamers can get. Based on the comparison to Bioware, Gearbox should be burned to the ground by now. Honestly, I think the meteorite that hit in Russia was just gamer rage that missed.
If A:CM had had two previous games telling you how good the third one was going to be, that'd probably be the case.

ChristopherT

Sep 9, 2010
Warachia said:
ChristopherT said:
So I'm clearly missing something, when did they turn against their fans exactly?
I guess everyone here is also just going to ignore that extended cut DLC too then? If you don't like it fine, but don't pretend they didn't try to fix a big mistake.
They did put out the EC, I've heard some people say that the everyone dies ending is a big FU to the fans - and I disagree with that, it's the only ending I like. But bringing that up doesn't wipe away all the negative that Bioware employees had to say about the fans before releasing the EC and possibly (memory fault) even after (at that point I was just bored of the fighting and it was hard to read through everything to even make out what was being said). Bioware employees did however say negative things about their fans, they did 'treat' the fans in a negative manor. Yes, the EC, and that's good, it was free, there's been free Multiplayer DLC, they have seemed like they're trying to pull out of the crapper, but that's all they can try to do, isn't it? I'm not saying the vocal fans were easy to deal with, I read some of the Bioware forums, some fans can be nasty little buggers, but as a company, in my eyes, they need to rise above that, and they didn't.

Warachia

Aug 11, 2009
ChristopherT said:
Warachia said:
ChristopherT said:
They did put out the EC, I've heard some people say that the everyone dies ending is a big FU to the fans - and I disagree with that, it's the only ending I like. But bringing that up doesn't wipe away all the negative that Bioware employees had to say about the fans before releasing the EC and possibly (memory fault) even after (at that point I was just bored of the fighting and it was hard to read through everything to even make out what was being said). Bioware employees did however say negative things about their fans, they did 'treat' the fans in a negative manor. Yes, the EC, and that's good, it was free, there's been free Multiplayer DLC, they have seemed like they're trying to pull out of the crapper, but that's all they can try to do, isn't it? I'm not saying the vocal fans were easy to deal with, I read some of the Bioware forums, some fans can be nasty little buggers, but as a company, in my eyes, they need to rise above that, and they didn't.
Before the EC came out I was looking through their forums trying to see if it was going to be free or just to find anything about it, none of what they (employees) said came close to that gay relationship argument between the dragon age 2 writer and the fans, and considering how vile a lot of the forums were (at the time) it sure surprised me.
The only thing I can remember about them saying after the EC about the fans was Casey Hudson called the forums vile, a bad idea to be sure, but he had decent reasons to, for the most part the project leads need to watch what they say to fans, that's it.

One more thing: "they have seemed like they're trying to pull out of the crapper, but that's all they can try to do, isn't it?" What else could/should they possibly do, let it sit there and run away from it?

ChristopherT

Sep 9, 2010
Warachia said:
Before the EC came out I was looking through their forums trying to see if it was going to be free or just to find anything about it, none of what they (employees) said came close to that gay relationship argument between the dragon age 2 writer and the fans, and considering how vile a lot of the forums were (at the time) it sure surprised me.
The only thing I can remember about them saying after the EC about the fans was Casey Hudson called the forums vile, a bad idea to be sure, but he had decent reasons to, for the most part the project leads need to watch what they say to fans, that's it.

One more thing: "they have seemed like they're trying to pull out of the crapper, but that's all they can try to do, isn't it?" What else could/should they possibly do, let it sit there and run away from it?
What the employees, or mods said may not have been all that bad overall, it was just enough for me as someone new to Bioware to just put them on the back burner and get a bit pissed off. That being said i think some of my dis-like for Bioware comes from the journalists, and at the time how big things were blown out of proportion. Before ME3 I never visited the Bioware forums, nor had any opinion on Bioware, I had only played Mass Effect 2, then 3 - have not touched any other bioware game other than KOTOR, which I couldn't even connect with the company. So my first glimpse of them was at one of their worst times, and the whole thing wasn't pretty. Maybe just bad timing, but it has not sat well with me, but I don't have a list with their names on it, it's something I barely ever think about.

quotequote said:
no, they did the best they possibly could, but the mess was huge no matter how much of it was their fault, the mess was just too large. Not saying they can't be forgiven or shouldn't be, just I have no interest besides a KOTOR 3 in Bioware.

Moonlight Butterfly

Be the Leaf
Mar 16, 2011
My best friend is playing it and he says it reminds him of Left for Dead. The multiplayer is fun but the quality of the game is not worth the $60 price tag.

Also they have released some graphics tweaks for PC that were turned off because of the console port. That at least explains some of the disparity in the trailer.

Orekoya

Sep 24, 2008
bartholen said:
Blaming Gearbox for DNF is unfair. They didn't make the whole game, they just stitched it together from whatever bits 3D realms had. Or maybe not, I have neither the time nor enthusiasm to look deeply into how much Gearbox actually made of the final product. I actually think Gearbox should be congratulated for making gaming history by releasing the definitive "game that will never be released". It might have been a colossal turd (I haven't played, nor do I intend to do so), but merely finishing it and releasing it in stores deserves a tip of a hat from me.
Actually Gearbox did very little beyond some minor polishing. Triptych Games did most of the actual stitching it together from what was salvaged from 3D Realms. Between that and releasing it in stores for sixty dollars they didn't do anything worth a tip of the hat from me.

Lieju

Jan 4, 2009
Dr.Sopel said:
I don't mean to inflame, but I wonder how any of the last three Bioware games qualify as even remotely bad. One of them is technically The Escapist's latest Game of the Year. Nothing makes me more sad in the games industry today than the amount of shit Bioware gets for slight flaws in otherwise great games. Especially in the RPG genre which I always considered quite tolerant of big flaws in otherwise great games (see Vampire: The Masquerade - Bloodlines, any Fallout game). Especially especially when compared to stuff like DNF and (apparently) ACM that has the same price tag. But that's just me.
I think a part of it is that people expect more from Bioware.
I mean, I love DA2, but I will admit it has HUGE issues and I wish they would have taken more time to make it. I critique it because I have hope that Bioware can do better.

Critiquing something like DNF is kinda pointless; everyone knows it's shit.
And personally I don't care about the IP.

MeChaNiZ3D said:
shadowmagus said:
Considering how bad Aliens is apparently, and how mad gamers can get. Based on the comparison to Bioware, Gearbox should be burned to the ground by now. Honestly, I think the meteorite that hit in Russia was just gamer rage that missed.
If A:CM had had two previous games telling you how good the third one was going to be, that'd probably be the case.
Isn't it 'officially canon' with the Aliens-movies, continuing the story?

shintakie10

Sep 3, 2008
Orekoya said:
bartholen said:
Blaming Gearbox for DNF is unfair. They didn't make the whole game, they just stitched it together from whatever bits 3D realms had. Or maybe not, I have neither the time nor enthusiasm to look deeply into how much Gearbox actually made of the final product. I actually think Gearbox should be congratulated for making gaming history by releasing the definitive "game that will never be released". It might have been a colossal turd (I haven't played, nor do I intend to do so), but merely finishing it and releasing it in stores deserves a tip of a hat from me.
Actually Gearbox did very little beyond some minor polishing. Triptych Games did most of the actual stitching it together from what was salvaged from 3D Realms. Between that and releasing it in stores for sixty dollars they didn't do anything worth a tip of the hat from me.
Honestly thats why I have no respect for Gearbox at all. You can't blame them for makin a shit game when they didn't really make a shit game. You can blame them for releasin said shit game for full price knowin full well that it was a piece of shit. The only "positive" in their favor is that they were pretty open with the fact that they were tryin to rip people off, but that's a pretty shitty positive if you ask me.

The fact that they've now done this twice should set off alarm bells in every gamers head, hell every person who buys game should have those warnin bells goin off.