Alice Falls Further Down the Rabbit Hole in Stunning Madness Returns Fan Trailer

Logan Westbrook

Transform, Roll Out, Etc
Feb 21, 2008
Alice Falls Further Down the Rabbit Hole in Stunning Madness Returns Fan Trailer

What can you do when your veins start begging you for help?

Whether you like the games or not, it's hard to deny that American McGee's version of Alice in Wonderland has some pretty amazing imagery. It's the kind of thing that sticks with a person, as it has with filmmaker R Zane Rutledge, who made an official trailer for the original Alice, and now, eleven years later, has made a fan trailer for the sequel, Madness Returns.

The film stars Austin-based actor Jennymarie Jemison as Alice, with directing and visual effects duties handled by Zane. Jemison's previous credits include a number of short films and an appearance in Grand Theft Auto: Vice City as one of the game's many pedestrians. According to her blog, she - or at least, her voice - will also appear in the upcoming Serious Sam 3 as the fighter pilot Hellfire. Zane has also worked on shorts, as well as producing work for "too many ad agencies and clients to care to list or remember."

Appropriately enough, Zane based his new trailer on his old trailer - which you can see below - recreating a lot of the original details from eleven years ago. It's an amazing effort, and clearly a labor of love. Of all the promotional material I've seen for Madness Returns - which is quite a lot - this is the first that gave that same chill as the very first teaser trailer with the teeth and the blood [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/102221-American-McGee-Announces-a-New-Alice-Madness-Returns].

Source: io9 [http://io9.com/5812729/goth-alice-will-make-you-tear-up-your-skin-in-this-live-action-alice-return-to-madness-trailer]

DustyDrB

Made of ticky tacky
Jan 19, 2010
And I'm seeing this just after my copy arrived today (I'm currently downloading the original American McGee's Alice that came with the preorder and installing Madness Returns to my 360). Excitement overload.

Get done installing, already!

Onyx Oblivion

Borderlands Addict. Again.
Sep 9, 2008
That's...pretty damn good for a fan trailer. Mind you, he IS a professional.

I picked up the game Tuesday, since it comes with the original.

Dear god is the platforming horrid in the original, though. It's aged very poorly. And don't say it's because I'm playing it on a console. If anything, an analog stick should IMPROVE the platforming.

But Madness Returns is amazing, imo.

RedEyesBlackGamer

The Killjoy Detective returns!
Jan 23, 2011
Onyx Oblivion said:

Dear god is the platforming horrid in the original, though. It's aged very poorly. And don't say it's because I'm playing it on a console. If anything, an analog stick should IMPROVE the platforming.

It comes with the original? If that is true I might get it.

impcnrd

Nov 28, 2009
dude that was awesome..... but i still need to finish the first game when i downloaded it like four years ago X.X

Onyx Oblivion

Sep 9, 2008
RedEyesBlackGamer said:
Onyx Oblivion said:

Yeah. You get it with EA's Online Pass stuff.

Personally, I'd say Madness Returns alone is worth it.

Chugging through the original is feeling like a chore, at times. Generally when platforming, as I mentioned.

RedEyesBlackGamer

Jan 23, 2011
Onyx Oblivion said:
RedEyesBlackGamer said:
Onyx Oblivion said:

Chugging through the original is feeling like a chore, at times. Generally when platforming, as I mentioned.
Are the stories connected? I'm interested in the game, but I'm afraid of being lost for the entire game because I didn't play the first one.

Onyx Oblivion

Sep 9, 2008
RedEyesBlackGamer said:
Onyx Oblivion said:
RedEyesBlackGamer said:
Onyx Oblivion said:

Are the stories connected? I'm interested in the game, but I'm afraid of being lost for the entire game because I didn't play the first one.
You won't be lost, and there is a little 6 page review in the main menu under Extra Content.

I'm understanding everything fine, at least. Played 2 hours of MR, and 4 hours of AMA, though.

Quick tip, play the original like a shooter. Don't use the knife and melee attacks. It's on the Quake 3 engine, after all.

RedEyesBlackGamer

Jan 23, 2011
Onyx Oblivion said:
RedEyesBlackGamer said:
Onyx Oblivion said:
RedEyesBlackGamer said:
Onyx Oblivion said:

You won't be lost, and there is a little 6 page review in the main menu under Extra Content.

I'm understanding everything fine, at least. Played 2 hours of MR, and 4 hours of AMA, though.

Quick tip, play the original like a shooter. Don't use the knife and melee attacks. It's on the Quake 3 engine, after all.
Thanks. It will go on my ever growing "To eventually get" list. It might have a chance after I get Nocturne, Catherine, Disgaea 4, Digital Devil Saga, .Hack GU 3,....I'll get it eventually.

Wolfram23

Mar 23, 2004
Erm... what? I mean looks cool and all. But this is now a movie? I never played that game, but I'm confused as to what's going on lol.

redisforever

Oct 5, 2009
Wolfram01 said:
Erm... what? I mean looks cool and all. But this is now a movie? I never played that game, but I'm confused as to what's going on lol.
No, it's just a movie style trailer for the game.

Anyway, I have been looking for months for an HD version of the trailer, and now, it exists!

Mr. 47

May 25, 2011
Very excited about this game. Going to get it when I scrape up enough spare cash.

Did anyone notice that there is already DLC for this? Noticed a weapon and dress pack on PSN today. That's a little sleezy.

Sennz0r

May 25, 2008
RedEyesBlackGamer said:
Onyx Oblivion said:
RedEyesBlackGamer said:
Onyx Oblivion said:
RedEyesBlackGamer said:
Onyx Oblivion said:

I haven't played the original, bought Madness Returns a few days ago. I expected the game to come with the original but for some reason if you buy a hard copy for PC you don't get the same deal as the console versions, but if you buy a digital copy on EA's perversion of Steam, called Origin, you can get the original. Quite backwards if you ask me, but such is life.

So I basically gave up on playing that and spent a couple hours watching a playthrough of the first game on YouTube. There's one guy who did a 30 episode playthrough, no deaths, no dialogue from him. If you're so inclined -like I was- to see everything that happened in the first game before you move on to Madness Returns I suggest you watch these videos.
You can get the gist of the story by just reading the 6-page history in the main menu of Madness Returns, but I felt some of the deeper questions were still left unanswered.
Basically it's Alice's Wonderland and she's been there before the first game, too. She met all these characters, most of whom she talks to as if they're old acquaintances in both the first and second game. It can get a little confusing at times if you're unsure whether or not you're supposed to know this guy from the previous game if you haven't played it. It's not game-breaking, as has been said. I played 3 hours of Madness Returns without looking the first game, but some parts left question marks which I would rather be rid of.

Again it's purely me wanting to know exactly what the protaginist's been through so I can fully understand her motivations (which are still sometimes obscure, what a game).

TL;DR: Your experience of Madness Returns won't be ruined if you haven't played the first game. It's like playing Halo 3 or Gears 2 without having played the previous games: There are some callbacks to the first but nothing important you'd actually need to know to enjoy the current.