Alienware Steam Machines Can't Be Upgraded

grimallq

Aug 25, 2009
Zachary Amaranth said:
You can't name a decent reason, and leave out the biggest factor: Alienware.
So now Alienware is a baseline for all pre-built Steam machines? Why haven't anyone told me?

Seriously, personally I consider iBuyPower and Cyber Power PC 500$ models as basic pre-built Steam Machine examples. Incidentally both are upgradable.

When talking about people buying Steam Machines I was talking in general terms, not fucking Alienware.

Actually, I was questioning the point of making a "for dummies" machine with an assumed requisite level of tech knowledge. It has nothing to do with what the majority of people will or won't do, but the intended audience.
And apparently you have so far twice ignored my answer, though I suppose I might have been a bit unclear. So I'll repeat again.

You don't need "requisite level of tech knowledge" to use any of those upgradable Steam Machines, just like with a regular PC. But the upgrade option exists for those users that want to utilize it (e.g. by paying a specialty store), and maybe even have the skills to perform the upgrade themselves.

[Citation needed]
Fine, lets say you ought me here. I can't exactly find any direct quote on the matter aside from some news articles (which can't be considered a first-arty source) or Wikipidia (which can't be considered reliable).

But let's look at the possible "types" of Steam machines we know of so far.

Regular PCs, pre-assembled or custom built, running SteamOS. Here customizability and upgrades are a given. Any hardware that fulfills SteamOS minimal specs is game.

Valve's prototype units used in the public hardware beta. Valve noted in a FAQ that testers can freely modify the hardware and software of those units.
http://store.steampowered.com/livingroom/SteamMachines/?l=english

An finally the pre-built models from Valve partners. Of which only Alienware has specifically announced that their models will be fixed hardware. On the other hand many of the others, like Digital Storm or Cyber Power PC, have mentioned customization and upgrades on their own pages.

Unless you can't. Like here.
I'll say it again. Alienware is the exception here.

So yeah. Free customization and hardware upgrades are a feature. Maybe not exactly a major one. But they are mentioned by several vendors.

I can see why you think savvy people would spend extra to buy from a company known for fucking up their own hardware.
The hell? I'll ask you straight. Where have I, in any of my previous posts, talked about people buying Alienware.

Speaking in generic terms "buying a Steam Machine", yes. "Buying Alienware Steam Machine", hell no.

I'd appreciate if you'd stop stuffing false arguments into my mouth.

I'm yet to see this advertised as a "major feature." I'm also not aware of any requirement that Alienware explain themselves, either.
As mentioned above, Valve doesn't care, as long as the hardware can run SteamOS. More so, they outright allow their testers to modify the hardware of Steam machine prototypes. Some vendors have mentioned customization and upgrades when talking about their Steam machine models.

Alienware is blocking this feature in their model. Fine, they don't have to explain themselves. And apparently the Valve licencees has no restrictions against such practices. Still IMO it's a dick move that undermines the openess of Steam machine platform.

EDIT: And after all that bile spewing it turns out Alienware Steam Machines will be upgradable after all, it just "won't be easy". They're pretty fast with backtracking on unpopular policies.
http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/131589-Alienware-Steam-Machine-Will-Be-Upgradeable-After-All

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
grimallq said:
So now Alienware is a baseline for all pre-built Steam machines? Why haven't anyone told me?
Because you just made that up. It was the basis for the question I asked.

When talking about people buying Steam Machines I was talking in general terms, not fucking Alienware.
Including when Alienware is the topic, evidently. In fact, why not go all the way? Steam Machines are all upgradable, because we're not talking about Alienware. In a thread about Alienware Steam Machines. Where a question was asked specifically about Alienware.

You don't need "requisite level of tech knowledge" to use any of those upgradable Steam Machines, just like with a regular PC.
Which las little or nothing to do with the upgradability factor, but you dodged that question. That makes this redundant outside of you apparently intentionally misrepresenting me.

Fine, lets say you ought me here.
Because that's exactly what happened. You claimed something you cannot substantiate.

An finally the pre-built models from Valve partners. Of which only Alienware has specifically announced that their models will be fixed hardware. On the other hand many of the others, like Digital Storm or Cyber Power PC, have mentioned customization and upgrades on their own pages.
So what? That doesn't make a defining element, or necessary, or anything of value.

I'll say it again. Alienware is the exception here.
As far as we know. But I'll say it again: so what?

So yeah. Free customization and hardware upgrades are a feature. Maybe not exactly a major one. But they are mentioned by several vendors.

The hell? I'll ask you straight. Where have I, in any of my previous posts, talked about people buying Alienware.
It's actually not an unreasonable assumption to assume that you would stay on topic. I guess that was a non-sequitur then?

I'd appreciate if you'd stop stuffing false arguments into my mouth.
You've done that several times to me. Meanwhile, what I did was make the assumption that when talking specifically about Alienware, your responses would actually be related.

As mentioned above, Valve doesn't care, as long as the hardware can run SteamOS.
Sweet. So there's literally nothing wrong with what Alienware is doing.

Alienware is blocking this feature in their model.
You're trying to sneak the idea of a "feature" back in.

Fine, they don't have to explain themselves. And apparently the Valve licencees has no restrictions against such practices. Still IMO it's a dick move that undermines the openess of Steam machine platform.
A feature you can't demonstrate is a feature.

EDIT: And after all that bile spewing it turns out Alienware Steam Machines will be upgradable after all, it just "won't be easy". They're pretty fast with backtracking on unpopular policies.
http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/131589-Alienware-Steam-Machine-Will-Be-Upgradeable-After-All
Or they were talking out their asses before. Regardless, it doesn't make anything you've mentioned logically sound.

grimallq

Aug 25, 2009
Zachary Amaranth said:
grimallq said:
Because you just made that up. It was the basis for the question I asked.
I should stop trying to use sarcasm online. I either suck at it badly or people take too seriously, or both. Noted.

You though I was talking about Alienware Steam Machines specifically all the time? Fine, maybe a valid assumption, maybe I wasn't clear enough. I'll say it again then. Unless I'm namedropping Alienware in a sentence talking about Steam Machines I'm probably talking about Steam Machines in general, not just Alienware.

The initial article was about Alienware, but it was also about how Alienware's Steam Machine would be different from other. So excuse me for talking about all pre-built Steam Machines in general in this case, but that's what I was doing.

Why do you think so many people here were pissed about the initial Alienware announcement, that their Steam Machines would not be upgradable? Because those people assumed that all Steam machines would be upgradable. Just look at the other posters comments here, same of them have also called upgradability a feature of Steam Machines.

You're saying that it's not. That the ability to customize and upgrade the hardware of a product is not a feature of that product? Even if several manufacturers specifically mention in in their promotional materials? In that case what is it, if not a feature?

I admit that I was overeager earlier. I called it a major feature, because I personally consider it major. IMO it is a major feature of Steam Machines in contrast to other consoles, to which they are constantly compared to. The ability to customize and upgrade Steam Machine hardware may be not important for most of their potential users, but it is a feature of the Steam Machine. (To be on the safe side I'll clarify i again. Here I'm talking about Steam Machines in general, not just Alienware models)

You don't need "requisite level of tech knowledge" to use any of those upgradable Steam Machines, just like with a regular PC.
Which las little or nothing to do with the upgradability factor, but you dodged that question. That makes this redundant outside of you apparently intentionally misrepresenting me.
It doesn't?

You were asking what's the "point of making a "for dummies" machine with an assumed requisite level of tech knowledge" in a thread about Steam Machine upgradability. I think it's fair that I assumed you were talking about Steam Machines and the ability to customize and upgrade their hardware. A feature that requires some technical knowledge from the user in order to be utilized. It's also a feature that most users can, and will ignore, or probably will just be unaware of.

Based on that assumption, my answer to your question was, that while Steam Machine is a device aimed "for dummies" it does not come with a requisite level of technical knowledge, since it's most technically demanding feature is not an essential one. People won't need advanced tech skills to just turn it on and play games on a Steam Machine.

If you were talking about something else, then yes I did misunderstand you, though not intentionally. Sorry.

clippen05

Jul 10, 2012
So, in other words, alienware sucks once again. Can't say I'm surprised. I really am speechless on how they were able to corner the pre-built gaming PC market on brand-recognition alone, because they certainly don't bring anything else to the table.