All-Female Ghostbusters Reboot Officially Happening

MovieBob

Dec 31, 2008
All-Female Ghostbusters Reboot Officially Happening

[tweet t=https://twitter.com/paulfeig/status/519939618264088576]
Paul Feig and Katie Dippold ain't afraid of no reboots

It was a Ghostbusters [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/136599-Bridesmaids-Director-In-Talks-For-Female-Led-Reboot-of-Ghostbusters] featuring a new all-female team of supernatural exterminators, but at the time no one was officially talking.

Now, Feig himself has confirmed via Twitter [https://twitter.com/paulfeig/status/519939618264088576] that not only is the project happening with him in the director's chair, he's bringing The Heat writer Katie Dippold along with him. In addition to the hit Sandra Bullock/Melissa McCarthy buddy-cop comedy, Dippold has also written for Parks & Recreation and is a former member of The Upright Citizens Brigade comedy troupe.

While it is obviously too early for any casting decisions to have been made, founding Ghostbuster Bill Murray has already weighed in [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/137342-Bill-Murray-Fancasts-His-Preferred-Female-Ghostbusters-Team] with his picks for the new team. Unheard from (as of yet) is Dan Aykroyd, who had been the principle force pushing for a third film for many years.

Source: The Hollywood Reporter [http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat-vision/ghostbusters-reboot-lands-heat-writer-738556]

[http://www.escapistmagazine.com/movies-and-tv/]

tzimize

Mar 1, 2010
This is probably gonna be so painful to watch. Knowing hollywood they'll cast pretty ladies instead of funny ladies...and it'll be horrible.

xaszatm

That Voice in Your Head
Sep 4, 2010
tzimize said:
This is probably gonna be so painful to watch. Knowing hollywood they'll cast pretty ladies instead of funny ladies...and it'll be horrible.
Well hopefully Paul Feig has some control over who he hires.

OT: Sweet, will be interesting to see how this plays.

aceman67

Jan 14, 2010
My suggestion is to cut Bill Murry out of the project entirely, he's the primary reason GB3 was held up for years (He admitted on Howard Stern to never reading the script), and then Harold Ramis died without seeing the film come to be.

Unforgivable in my opinion.

CAPTCHA
filthy rich

RicoADF

Welcome back Commander
Jun 2, 2009
Well that just killed my interest with a bullet right between the eyes. A one gender team would be disappointing but Hollywood does women especially badly for the reasons others have already stated above.

aceman67

Jan 14, 2010
RA92 said:
As long as they keep Melissa McCarthy the fuck out.
And how far did you have to walk to get to the left field that little tid-bit came out of? If your only reasoning for her not being included is her weight, shame on you sir, because she is a damn funny lady.

NortherWolf

Jun 26, 2008
Oh fuck yes! The Heat made me laugh like nothing had in al ong time, and Bridesmaids seemed damn funny if you had your Shame pillow in reach. Hell of a lot better than dragging the corpses of the old Ghostbusters back(those still alive) for "wacky" adventures.

Also, Melissa McCarthy should absolutely be in this, she'd make a reasonably good female Venkman-espy.

RA92

Jan 1, 2011
aceman67 said:
RA92 said:
And how far did you have to walk to get to the left field that little tid-bit came out of? If your only reasoning for her not being included is her weight, shame on you sir, because she is a damn funny lady.
Ugh, people and their presumptions. I don't like McCarthy's current brand of low-brow cussy humour. She spiraled downwards from acting as human beings in Mike & Molly and Gilmore Girls to a being caricatures in The Heat and Tammy. All her humor these days seem to be derived from her body or her hygiene or her foul mouth. I'd rather we have Poehler and Fey, who can be comedic without being crass.

NickBrahz

Mar 30, 2011
aceman67 said:
RA92 said:
Somebody has a different opinion then you, so automatically they are a jerk and you claim it's because of her weight, i don't care if she was 500 kilos i would still find her annoying as hell.

Vault101

I'm in your mind fuzz
Sep 26, 2010
calling it now

there's gonna be so many tears, and evo-psych debates as to weather or not women are funny

which is somewhat more amusing than the usual tired disdain we all have to for remakes, and lets be honest, it could have been eather this or some monstrosity with the likes of say....ben stiller, adam sandler and vince Vaughn and the former give credit where credit is due but the latter...well if woman aren't funny then he sure as fuck isn't eather

so yes I approve

FalloutJack

Bah weep grah nah neep ninny bom
Nov 20, 2008
I'm ambivalent on this. I am curious, but I also love the classics. Such forces create trouble in the brainmeats.

Darks63

Mar 8, 2010
aceman67 said:
RA92 said:
In previous story Melissa McCarthy was floated along with Tina Fey as possible cast members so it not out of left field really.

Geisterkarle

Dec 27, 2010
I look forward to a female Slimer .... ;)
Let's see the cast and then we can try to find out if this will be horrible!

Fasckira

Dice Tart
Oct 22, 2009
"We're rebooting a classic comedy, only this time ... the whole cast is made up of women! How crazy are we?!"

Meh, it could be a giggle though as long as the film doesn't try to be "edgy" by trying to convey a deeper feminist message or similar. There's a lot of ways to do that, but through the reboot of a cult classic that was nothing more than an amusing tale is not the way.

Under_your_bed

Sep 15, 2012
Oh no, a "Niche" movie for the whiny vocal minority called "women" that I probably won't ever watch or hear about again!

WHY MUST YOU RUIN MY FILMS LIKE THIS, FEMINISM?!?!

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
Huh...if this is a success, should it be taken as proof that it's not reboots that are the problem, it's male led reboots?

Stop ruining our reboots by sticking men in them!