All glory to the Hypno-Toad!

Aunel

May 9, 2008
Furburt said:
Where the hell is Onyx Oblivion when you need him, he'd love this.

And 'opinion of hypnotists damaged'?

I never had any respect for them anyway!
yes but maybe you do now, and you consider that damage...

OT: I'll come back when they figured out bass hypnotist-man!

MurderousToaster

Aug 9, 2008
Look into the eyes. Not around the eyes, into the eyes...

If 'tis true, I want to know how to hypnotise people. Damn hypnotic bastards.

Also

How do I hypnotised people?

Ironic Pirate

May 21, 2009
Well, isn't it just convincing people to do things? Preoccupying them and getting them to sign a check or something while they think they're floating. That could be real as long as drugs are involved, albeit secretly.

Jaranja

Jul 16, 2009
TheNamlessGuy said:
[sub]Where is OnyxOblivion when you need him...[/sub]

OT: I can't say I believe in it.

Bogus!
Humbug!
I've been hypnotised. Hypnotised by my hypnotherapist, that is.

tomtom94

aka "Who?"
May 11, 2009
Jaranja said:
TheNamlessGuy said:

Bogus!
Humbug!
Did you mistake his meows for neuro-linguistic programming?
Okay, so, in all seriousness, tell us. Was it helpful? Was it odd?

Jaranja

Jul 16, 2009
tomtom94 said:
Jaranja said:
TheNamlessGuy said:

Bogus!
Humbug!
Did you mistake his meows for neuro-linguistic programming?
Okay, so, in all seriousness, tell us. Was it helpful? Was it odd?
It's just like being extremely relaxed.

"I am ze Übermensch"
Nov 6, 2007
i do believe in hypnosis,
if anyone has seen peter powers, he hypnotized me, i wasnt put on the actual show because it was a small show that he did for a few of the workers in our hotel (used to be a chef)
he made me believe i was scared of my shoes.... and that i was i could read minds but think that they were thinking of me naked... awesome experience!!!

ribonuge

Dec 7, 2009
I would like to try it for the laugh, to see if it is legitimate. Never know until you try.

Could you imagine walking into an office for hypnotherapy to find
in doctor's attire with glasses. I'd trust him more than a real hypnotherapist.

spuddyt

Nov 22, 2008
Well just so long as no one starts doing that stupid thing where they cut off their sent- ALL GLORY TO THE HYPNOTOAD.

CountCagliostro

Aug 17, 2009
I think it's fair to say that hypnotism can alter the mood of some (not necessarily all) subjects, and consequently suggestible for the short-term. Whether it's therapeutically effective over the long term to a greater than placebo, I'm not sure, and suspect effect would be minimal.

One bit of research I am aware of, however, was done into post-hypnotic recall. Against control subjects, post-hypnotic recall subjects recalled more facts, and were more confident about their recollections. However, they were _less_ accurate than control subjects. So those kind of restored memories are crap.

Cargando

Apr 8, 2009
It does work. I've watched a hypnotist push needles into a man's hand without him feeling pain. Hypnotists can be divided into two groups: those that could just as easily be called psychologists, and those that could just as easily be called magicians.

Nomad

Dire Penguin
Aug 3, 2008
I believe in manipulation, but not hypnosis. It's hard to draw a definite line between the two though, I guess.

spuddyt said:
Well just so long as no one starts doing that stupid thing where they cut off their sent- ALL GLORY TO THE HYPNOTOAD.
What, you mean like they do with that Candlejack g

GrinningManiac

Jun 11, 2009
I believe that hypnotists, fortune-tellers and palm-readers and the like can do what they say they can do, but not in the way they say they do it.

A hypnosist CANNOT hypnotise you (the street-corner ones, not the swiss psychatrist types who use it for medical reasons) Instead, they use leading questions, suggestive statements and self-cancelling suggestions to trick you into believing they know what they're saying

for example

A leading question is one where the way the question is posed is biased and can subconciously lean you to one side. E.G. If I were to ask "Should we have school uniforms or not?" would be a question. If I said "School uniforms are stupid and should go, do you agree?" it lends to the non-unifom side of the argument

Suggestive statements are basically crap bluffing, where they'll say something and then try to justify it when they screw up. "You know an Emma..." "No I don't" "Do you know someone who is a nurse?" "My Gran used to be a nurse" "Ah, because Emma is the German for Nurse..."

Self-cancelling suggestions and suchlike are ones where the statement slowly cancels itself out so that it's vague enough to apply to everyone. Like saying "You are a very charitable person, but feel like you don't donate enough". Everyone looks upon themselves with a favourable bias, so they'd like to consider themselves charitable, even if they haven't donated a penny. That's where the Haven't Donated Enough comes in. Now their brains can justify calling themselves charitable without having donated (It's the thought that counts! Honest!)

It's all very clever, and takes a lot of skill to pass off, so I respect them for that. But it's not what they say it is. It's like a particularly elaborate con. It's still lying, but pulled off in a clever manner