All Hail The PC: Console Gaming Is Dead

HobbesMkii

Hold Me Closer Tony Danza
Jun 7, 2008
I totally agree with jergarmar. Sooner or later, someone (probably Microsoft) will work out a Console that runs MSWord and Powerpoint, and that'll be it in terms of distinction. Consoles are playing movies/music/games, and PCs (especially laptops) are doing the same thing. They're beginning to overlap. Right now, PCs are super versatile in comparison to Consoles, but that doesn't mean that within the next generation, we won't find a console that's able to function as a minor work machine, with word processors and internet browsers. It'll be a major coup for the consoles too, because it means people will be able to program third-party software wholly w/in the console, no PC required.

I see it less as the death of either species, so much as it will be a convergent event. A few years from now, we won't argue over whether or not Console gaming is dying or PC gaming is dying, we'll argue about who won.

I dream of that day.

Eldritch Warlord

Jun 6, 2008
Hah, he wishes. Then more people would buy his arcade game clones.

And SinisterDeath, I believe Organic Light-Emiting Diodes would be more suitable for a contact lense style display than Liquid Crystals.

And Archaeology Hat, will your $1200 computer continue to play the most computer intensive PC games at High settings for ten years? And will you have your entire library of PC games available to play on it whenever you feel the desire?

Rolling Thunder

Dec 23, 2007
Whoa... deja vu.... did the Matrix just reset here?

As a person who enjoys both his PC (Dawn of War, Company of Heroes, Starcraft, Flashpoint, Falllout 2) and his PS2 (Resi 4, MGS series, FF series, Killzone, BLACK) I can no more visualise the demise of either sector. This is just another propagandist piece of horseshit, from another propagandist horseshit-spewer trying to one-up his competition with words instead of hardware.

The only way either gaming method will die is if one gains significant superiority over the other in terms of both performance and cheapness, and then a recession hits.

maxusy3k

May 17, 2008
Eldritch Warlord said:
And Archaeology Hat, will your $1200 computer continue to play the most computer intensive PC games at High settings for ten years? And will you have your entire library of PC games available to play on it whenever you feel the desire?
Will you still really be playing the same console in ten years time? As a regular thing, that is. Not like now when I regret passing on my SNES.

I prefer the PC for gaming, I favor strategy and the occassional FPS and I find the good old keyboard and mouse to just be a better input method than a gamepad for such, but if I want to come home from work, kick back and lose myself comfortably in a game for a few hours, I'm more likely to turn to a console for it... the console is a home accessory now in the same vein as a TV or DVD player, but the PC currently - and will presumably continue to - function as a decent enough hybrid. The only time this is going to change, I think, is when consoles start moving towards being more like PCs anyway, and there we're honestly just looking at a reduction in size.

I think I lost my point. I don't know if I had one to make. Everything is fine I guess?

karn3

Jun 11, 2008
For god sake every sodding month either PC gaming is dying or consoles are dying. As someone has previously said it's a yo yo. Competition is healthy.

Rotating Bread

Jul 22, 2008
Proclaiming laptops as the future of gaming is a new one on me. It's definately going to happen though, I mean forget the fact that the vast majority of laptops sold can't even play games that are 2 or 3 years old.

Good to hear a change from the 'PC is dead' story, very odd article though.

DeadlyYellow

Jun 18, 2008
TheEggplant said:
None of this matters.
Life as we know it will end October 2012.
Bet on it.
Pfft. Heard it was December 21.

Anyway. I find few real significant differences between a PC and a current gaming console. The only thing you really need a PC for nowadays is work related. Games are better on the console, mostly for the lack of upgrades needed to play them.

alygishere

Jun 17, 2008
From where I see it the Pc's are better than consoles because if you buy a 1200$ pc now in about 2 years you can upgrade it and still play games on high and so on ... whereas for a console you have to wait for the next console to apear in about 5-6 years , yeah you won't have the games imediately like a console would but you just have to pop in the disk and install the game wich takes about 5 min . Probably the next series of consoles will have a windows or some other OS with them but then they won't be consoles would they? they would just become PC's(but probably by then the pc's will be about the same size , and about the laptops , yeah sure they can play new games but they are more expensive and you can't change components(yes , I know you can add ram).
And about the hand-held consoles , they might be fun but i don't see them as a competition to consoles or pc's or laptops , to me they are just like "kids" you play with them for a while and then you go to their big bro wich is more fun , at least that's my opinion
p.s.:Sorry about the bad grammar but i'm not english

Anton P. Nym

Sep 18, 2007
*Yawn*

Another guy with a vested interest in one side of the Platform Wars gets his shoe out and starts pounding on the podium. "We will bury you!"

Seeing as that worked out so well for Nikita... yeah, right.

The truth is that no one can reliably predict the future of game platforms, but I strongly doubt the uncontested dominance of any platform in the next ten years... or, if there is One True Platform by then, it ain't going to be one that's around today anyway.

-- Steve

MrBliss

Jul 25, 2008
He actually thinks portable gaming is the way forward? I hate portable gaming, and i'm definitely not going to whip out my laptop in the park and start playing Team Fortress. My partner bought me a DS for my birthday but I only ever use the thing on the train to work, and since I now cycle to work is basically just sits there gathering dust. I agree that consoles have their limitations, but they have the advantage of knowing it won't be obsolete within weeks of buying one.

Spartan Bannana

Apr 27, 2008
I think you've got it backwards, nobody wants to spend thousands of dollars upgrading a PC for a game they could spend 60 bucks on for a console

Torment40

Jul 21, 2008
He seems to forget laptops aren't really for gaming since once the components are out of date you have next to no choice but to buy another laptop, whereas the desktops can constantly be upgraded, which kinda invalidates the portability argument somewhat. That aside, this is identical to the 'PC gaming is dying' shit I've heard thrown around, imo as long as we have children, Nintendo at least will survive with it's gimmicks and one trick wonders, and as long as we have 18-30 year olds, PC gaming will survive too, and of course, the 10-17 year olds will keep microsoft and sony in the business

stompy

Jan 21, 2008
I swear that someone said the exact opposite last week... these people need to stop changing their minds, this is getting confusing.

Jumplion

Mar 10, 2008
Wow, I'm touched guys.

When a "console-tard" says "PCs aRRE DI3ing!" you are all over his ass, but when a "PC-tard" says "CONsOL3s aRE TEh diEING" the same people defend us! *snif*i'm so touched!*snif*

PCs wont die and niether will Consoles as they both need each other to progress. I would compare them to something political but it wouldn't be appropriate, but without PCs consoles would never be and without Consoles then....well, PCs would very slightly never be. Most likely though, "PC-tards" need the "Console-Tards" to fill up the empty void they have and argue that PC gaming is better and "Console-Tards" need "PC-Tards" to help them feel better and say that "PC gaming sucks!" and the like.

The line between Console and PC are slowly becoming blurry and I wouldn't be surprised if consoles become PCs or vise versa (most likely the former).

Though there is something about this generation that makes me feel uncomfortable.

Jumplion

Mar 10, 2008
HBrutusH said:
Jumplion said:
Though there is something about this generation that makes me feel uncomfortable.
How do you mean?
I don't know, something just seems weird.

I mean, the company most likely to continue to the next-next-generation is Sony with the obviously named "Playstation 4" (People would obviously make fun of them for naming it that but i'm pretty sure nobody would want "Playstation Beyond!" or some other crap. PS4 is fine for me)

The Xbox720 doesn't really seem all that practicle as A)MS/M$ would have to pull out a whole new format out of their ass to keep the money away from Sony and B)I'm not sure many people would trust MS/M$ after this generation (could be wrong though)

And Nintendo, i'm not even sure what they could make in the next generation. They could try the same thing their doing with their Wii but it would alienate their previous fans (if it hasn't already) a perfect example is this http://www.vgcats.com/comics/)

The previous generation had that feeling that something better would come around. Everyone knew that Sony would pull out a PS3, Nintendo had to throw out a succesful console to recouperate their loses on the Gamecube, and MS/M$ always puts a better, second version of whatever they make.

This generation doesn't have that feel, maybe it's because in terms of technology it can't improve as much as last generations. Graphics have neared their breaking point and other stuff are starting to also.

I'm just worried is all.

maxusy3k

May 17, 2008
Maybe a time is coming where the actual quality of the software will start to matter through and through, instead of this effects / story tradeoff currently going on.