All of you need to see this.

FrankatronX

Jul 28, 2010
Look at these pictures and stories. People are like this. We are all like this. It just takes a bit of stones to get out and do it.

Yep... I'm gonna go finish that painting now.

Angie7F

WiseGurl
Nov 11, 2011
Anything dog related makes me cry, even if I am on the bus.
People must think I am totally crazy.

Glongpre

Jun 11, 2013
spartan231490 said:
I truly think that the world would be a worse place if more people were that compassionate. There is such a thing as too much compassion. We need to be able to ignore the plights of others long enough to take care of ourselves. Also, humanity defines itself through conflict, and cannot flourish without it. If everyone were sickeningly compassionate, we would not be as advanced as we are. Humanity's greatest advances usually come from violence. Even the nobel prize originated from the horror of violence.
How do you know if all there has been is what you described?

Snowbell

Apr 13, 2012
I always smile at my customers so that their day can be a little brighter ^_^ And I always look out for animals - yesterday I was late for work because I was making sure a bird in the middle of the road was ok, I regularly get out of bed to go check when I hear an animal calling as though it's lost or in pain (ie dogs locked outside, cats that sound lonely), so I'm doing what I can to make a difference ^_^

Now if you thought OP's post was heart breaking...just watch this

Angelous Wang

Lord of I Don't Care
Oct 18, 2011
FFP2 said:
So... what is your take on this? Total BS? Or can we really make a difference?
Individuals cannot make much of difference alone, but if the whole wealthy part of human race all decided to there is easily enough wealth amongst us to bring everyone up to acceptable and equal life standards.

But instead wealth is hoarded by individuals and selfishly spent by everyone, because humans are too selfish and they are actually taught to be this way.

When you actually really really think about it every penny you spend that that isn't spent on food, water, shelter or your health is selfish. Because every single penny you have ever spent on video games, music, movies, dates or on anything else could have been used to save someone else from dying.

Pretty much everyone in first world countries who controls their own money could be considered a mass murderer.

But of course we aren't educated to think/reason this way, we are educated to think that we are entitled to do what we want with our own money because we "earned" and "deserve" it.

And then we just cover up the massive issue by occasionally giving a small amount to charity and thinking we actually did a good thing.

Think about it OP, how much did cost you to be able to get onto the internet an make this thread (computer+power+isp)? For all of that you could have saved an third world family from dying horribly instead.

FFP2

Dec 24, 2012
Angie7F said:
Anything dog related makes me cry, even if I am on the bus.
People must think I am totally crazy.
Being crazy is better than being boring :p

Snowbell said:
I always smile at my customers so that their day can be a little brighter ^_^ And I always look out for animals - yesterday I was late for work because I was making sure a bird in the middle of the road was ok, I regularly get out of bed to go check when I hear an animal calling as though it's lost or in pain (ie dogs locked outside, cats that sound lonely), so I'm doing what I can to make a difference ^_^

Now if you thought OP's post was heart breaking...just watch this
Damn... that was heavy.

Beat14

Jun 27, 2010
Meh, it doesn't matter to me if some of these are fake, or even all of them. I get bogged down in the depressing news. To me the word news almost has a negative connotation, not because something has changed, but because the media can generally only really report the bad things, as no one wants to know if some one saved some one from some tragedy as it's really easily forgotten.

I'll get bogged down by all the bad things that I hear about and the knowledge loads more vile/tragic things happen. So I'll also take light in what ever else I find. Cause there's loads of good deeds going on I also don't have a clue about.

EDIT: Want to brighten some ones day irl life who you don't know, use their name or ask it and use it at the end of the conversation. Not sure about on the internet, probably comes off as creepy. Talk is cheap and all.

FFP2

Dec 24, 2012
Beat14 said:
So I'll also take light in what ever else I find. Cause there's loads of good deeds going on I also don't have a clue about.

EDIT: Want to brighten some ones day irl life who you don't know, use their name or ask it and use it at the end of the conversation. Not sure about on the internet, probably comes off as creepy. Talk is cheap and all.
That's a good idea, I should try it out sometime :)

I guess that the media only reports bad stuff cos most people like to think : "I'm glad that this did not happen to me!" We might get a little mad at ourselves if we keep seeing people that are "better" than us in some ways.

Beat14

Jun 27, 2010
FFP2 said:
That's a good idea, I should try it out sometime :)

I guess that the media only reports bad stuff cos most people like to think : "I'm glad that this did not happen to me!" We might get a little mad at ourselves if we keep seeing people that are "better" than us in some ways.
Hm, I guess I didn't really consider the flip side in quite the same way. I saw it before as people would find constant good news forgettable, but now you mention it I can see how getting good news all the time might actually be depressing, or belittling.

Kinda off topic: A friend of mine recently became interested in becoming a better sales man, he was practising small talk with people who were serving us at the checkouts or any other interaction that came up. 2 things stood out to me; how ready people are to talk about themselves, and how much peoples faces light up when you use their name.

He wasn't try to get anything out of it, but he did manage to get the seats in the cinema bumped up to premier without directly asking.

Just the mention of "sales" might take away your perspective of it being a nice thing to do. However to me it made the surroundings more interesting. I'm not sure how to explain it. Every one was at ease, not just a random person serving you, or asking you some question about where to park. (Neither of us are extroverts and my friend dreads turning into a typical salesman, for what it's worth)

FFP2

Dec 24, 2012
Beat14 said:
Kinda off topic: A friend of mine recently became interested in becoming a better sales man, he was practising small talk with people who were serving us at the checkouts or any other interaction that came up. 2 things stood out to me; how ready people are to talk about themselves, and how much peoples faces light up when you use their name.

Yeah I get really happy when somebody new remembers my name. Makes me feel like I'm "important" enough to remember. Like they are actually interested in me.

However to me it made the surroundings more interesting. I'm not sure how to explain it. Every one was at ease, not just a random person serving you, or asking you some question about where to park.
I know what you mean. It's like they shed the default character that they use when they're around new people. Wish people did that more.

ninjaRiv

Aug 25, 2010
I've been saying this for the last couple of years. The world's fucked up and people are right to be cynical but there's a limit to how cynical a person should be. We all know the media sensationalises violence and sadness but, for some reason, we can't find it in ourselves to dismiss the media. We're born cynical and we miss out on a whole lot. And this is coming from someone who considers themselves pretty fucking cynical. But humans have a history of dismissing the good people do and only focusing on the bad. That's the way it is.

As for the pictures and such, yeah... I'm sick of seeing that sort of stuff on Facebook, too. Weird thing is I see it posted by racist and homophobic friends and family.

Ragsnstitches

Dec 2, 2009
The dog sitting by the grave got me. Scratch that, anything to do with dogs gets me...

To be honest, these kind of things annoy me more often then not. They are usually attached to chain mail (not the armouring method) and are usually a vapid sentiment sent on mass (and loaded with Trojans or Spyware) or tethered to a religious message. What's more tons of them are faked or taken out of context. I've seen a few that, out of context look funny and charming, but when researched you find cases of cruelty... kind of like "weird animal reaction" videos that turn out to be mentally scarred animals reacting to a threatening gesture.

Some of the feel good stories brought up in researched articles are more enticing to me. They feel more genuine. These fire and forget "feelies", especially when talking about serious disorders, feel dishonest without the appropriate depth. They seem to exist purely to make the unaffected feel better about themselves by the virtues of another.

Well shit... I guess I am a cynical sob.

ForumSafari

Sep 25, 2012
Ragsnstitches said:
Some of the feel good stories brought up in researched articles are more enticing to me. They feel more genuine. These fire and forget "feelies", especially when talking about serious disorders, feel dishonest without the appropriate depth. They seem to exist purely to make the unaffected feel better about themselves by the virtues of another.

Well shit... I guess I am a cynical sob.
I wouldn't say that's over cynical to be honest. That's pretty accurate to how I see most people; people want to feel good about sappy crap like this because in some perverse way it makes them feel like they made a difference without having to actually make a difference because that's hard work. The emotions these 'omg dis boy has cancer and his dad built him a rocket to make him his special little spaceman abloo bloo bloo' stories evoke are shallow passing shadows, your description of them as 'feelies' was bang on. In fact that entire book was pretty much bang on.

EDIT: Perhaps 'most' is an overstatement, though I'm honestly not sure how much by, it feels like most.

Best of the 3

Oct 9, 2010
I think there are more people like that than you'd expect. However media won't portray that. Bad news and shock horror titles bring in higher ratings than good news and feels.

Kyber

Oct 14, 2009
As much as i like reading stories like that, I don't agree with the "I'm sick of the media only reporting violence" and "what if all news stories were like this?"
People need to understand that there are people around the world who suffer, and some suffer in a way that we can help them if we take action. It's a brutal fact, world isn't all sunshine and rainbows, people need to know this so they can help those less fortunate in life.

Noswad

Mar 21, 2011
I am normally of the opinion that humans are creatures that are born evil, the only acts of kindness or co-operation come when there is a direct benefit, even giving for charity is only done for a feeling of self importance.

Right now i'm undergoing some kind of internal war, one half of me wants to forget everthing i just saw and go and murder some NPCs who probably didn't deserve it because taking too much notice of the mushy nonsense will get me burnt further down the line. The other half wants to walk outside and hug the nearest person and happily proclaim that its probably not as bad as they think and it will all be OK in the end.

Alssadar

Sep 19, 2010
I do have a short story I wrote about an experience I had one night about the goodness of mankind.

Preface: This story is unedited from the time I wrote it, which was within the 30 minutes since I experienced it. I feel that it's pretty inspirational, albeit a bit confusing and rambling at time.

As I returned home from Drumline, the idea of a romp through the mild-warmth of my front yard inspired me to do so. Upon commencing with my romp, I stopped and could only stare at the darkened, starless sky. Kneeling on the snow I stood upon, I sat and watched as time passed, the combination of soft winds combined with the comforting stillness of the dark night sky.

Upon a few minutes of watching, I started on the move, questioning the purpose of human life and mortality, of how humanity has the power to change and corrupt their own futures, as well as others'. Then, I ran. I ran with no care and free of all burdens, all pressure of school and homework lifted away. Thus, I ran, skipped and frollicked through my semi-snowy lawn. Through my run, I pondered the state of my happiness compared to those of multiple people around the world: the child-soldier in Africa, the bank accountant in England, the factory worker in China, the U.S. soldier in Afghanistan, the CEO in America, the white-collar worker in Germany, the farmer in Texas, and the South American sugar planter. I thought of what they would be having in this occasion I had placed myself in; Joy, Sadness, Memories, Regret, Guilt, Shame, Happiness, or even Greed?
These thoughts entered and left as soon as they entered, my personal entertainment in the situation all but too uncontrollable for these thoughts to linger in my mind. Then, I tired of running, and laid down on the wet grass, staring back at the moonless sky. I pictured the Earth at this moment, as if my surroundings reflects the stature of Earth in its whole: calm and at peace. Humanity sleeping soundly in their beds, or relaxing next to the fire with their favorite book.

I rolled my stomach to face the Earth, my arms spread open as if to give Mother Nature a hug. "Thank you, for giving me a home." I muttered in the grass, and almost fell to tears in this beautiful moment. In the minutes following, I almost fell asleep.
But then I stood up. Were my feelings all too controllable that they must be kept alone with my self? Must my pleasure with this Earth only be heard by me alone? Thus, I let my voice speak into the humid air:

"Brothers and sisters of this most noble earth. Lend me your ears or do not, it doesn't matter... Upon the soil of this most beautiful world, let it be known, I have found pleasure in tonight, this night of peaceful solitude has brought me tranquility. This blue water, the green grass, this white snow. We, as a planet, are individual, much like we all are. Sometimes the ideas and purposes of individuals gets overlooked as ideas of the whole. But as of now, surrounded by this peaceful scene. I no longer harbor hatreds of my fellow humans of haters and those whose purpose is to inflict pain. As of now, I can only think of what the Earth has done for us, and what we have shunned from her. I ask upon her not for forgiveness, but the knowledge of our guilt; of my shame in allowing her to be brought to ruin in the name of human nature: progress.
"We as mortals have shifted the change of nature in our way, to pursue and find our own needs met. We have been selfish and we have done wrong in the name of things right. We have the power of our destinies, and we alone hold it. We have made these choices, backing down and denying, is not any way to handle our situation. Brothers and sisters; this is a beautiful world.
"Thus, my comrades in humanity, I ask you this. To throw away bonds of separation, or hatred. To unite against a common foe something un-human, that ties our mortality to its limits. I ask that we put our differences aside to make this world better for humanity, and all other races that live upon this most precious Earth. To push the limits of mortality to ascend where man has control, with the main purpose of life not to make money, or own a corporation, but this: to make the world a better, happier place. So, my brethren, will you make a push to pursue life as a whole, with entertainment and vaccines? This question, I cannot answer for you, as you have to make the choice to either ignore me as a raving lunatic, or embrace me as a speaker of acceptance.

"Brothers and sisters, this is my farewell. May you all enjoy your lives, on this tranquil, beautiful world."
With that, I ran around the world a bit more, and then went inside. Thus, I spent 15 minutes of my life I would never get again, but I knew I wouldn't regret that time.
I'm sorry if it's kind of cheesy. It was 9th grade.

I would additionally post some pictures about mankind and humanity being awesome, but I can't find the corresponding images on the internet to link you guys to.

Eddie the head

Feb 22, 2012
Honestly this.
http://www.cnn.com/2013/08/08/health/malaria-vaccine

And this.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/southamerica/brazil/10224574/Brazilian-scientists-to-test-AIDS-vaccine-on-monkeys.html

Give me much more hope for the human race.

Mr F.

Jul 11, 2012
Going through that made me tear up a little bit. And helped restore my faith in humanity. After an hour or so in and out of a few feminism threads and the suicide threads (Go go victim blaming) I needed that. I needed my faith in humanity to be restored.

We can be surprisingly amazing, us humans. Yes, we can be very shit, but awesome too.