"All PC Games Run On Macs." What?

RandallJohn

Aug 21, 2010
Oh, wow. Yeah, he's VERY off. I mean, there's Bootcamp and Wine and stuff like that that'll let you run non-mac stuff, but... wow. I'm a Mac guy, and he's totally off. EVERY SINGLE GAME was designed on a mac? Gah.

Also, LOL at the fact that he differentiates "computer" and "Mac." And what is this "$700 iMac?"

Weslebear

Dec 9, 2009
The Virgo said:
Macs definitely do not work like that, there is still installation involved. And very few games are Mac friendly.

The only ones that I have played would be World of Warcraft and Team Fortress 2, only the absolutely huge titles get Mac support. You'd be lucky to get 10% of the games you want.
However you can also dual boot, partitioning off a section of your hardrive and installing windows onto the Mac and then running the games through there but gaming wise they usually don't have the most amazing hardware.

I recommend buying the cheaper $700 Mac for your work, and then around another $500-$700 on a gaming PC, they really are not expensive at all.

I built my PC a few months ago for £550 and it can max anything I throw at it, and the parts for that now have already gone down in price by £20-£30, PC gaming is not expensive anymore.

PS Yes you can have odd numbers of RAM, you can have multiple sticks of 1gb say and end up with 3gb as long as they run at the same speed.

Stryc9

Elite Member
Nov 12, 2008
I've heard some bullshit in my day about macs but some of this is pretty out there.

All PC games can run on Mac. They were designed on Macs. You put it in and, BOOM, it's loaded. No installing, no waiting, it's in there instantly.
That particularly is the biggest lie he told you right there. Some PC games can run on the mac, not all of them. They aren't completely designed on the mac platform, if at all anymore. There was a time when graphics design might have been done with a mac. The no installing no waiting thing is total bullshit. Even if that were possible there would be huge waiting times anytime the computer had to access the disc for data as it spins up and loads what it needs.

Do some research into local computer shops and do some shopping around to see what they can build you that would suit your needs. They should be able to build you a decent computer that will do everything you need from it, work and gaming for around $900 - $1500.

Griffolion

Elite Member
Aug 18, 2009
The Virgo said:
First of all: Please read the whole post before posting. Thanks!

Last night, a friend of mine and my dad's dropped by. Well, we got on the subject of computers and he starting saying that, for the things I do, an iMac would be perfect.

Well, my gaming computer is so old that the latest game I've played is The Sims 3, and it was pretty laggy at that. <:'-( So, for the past few years I've missed out on games. (I don't even have an Xbox360, a PS3 or, God-forbid, a Wii.) So, we mentioned that it would be difficult to spend $1,200 on a work computer and THEN spend at least $3,000 bucks on a new, up-to-date gaming rig.

Well, this friend then said this, pretty much word for word: "All PC games can run on Mac. They were designed on Macs. You put it in and, BOOM, it's loaded. No installing, no waiting, it's in there instantly. On a computer, you have to put it in, wait for it to install, no, not on a Mac. It's installed the moment you put it in."

Well, to be honest, to me, that sounded, and still sounds, like bullshit. VALVe just recently made Steam available for Macs and Skyrim doesn't seem to have OSX support.

However, since my dad and I are not really computer savvy, I wanted to give our friend the benefit of the doubt by asking here: Can an iMac run all PC games? Even old ones that you would get at Good Old Games?

Also, he mentioned when talking about the difference between the $700 and $1,200 iMac, he said the $1,200 iMac has, "... Five more gigs of RAM." Um, that's funny; I always thought RAM cam in 256MB, 512MB, 2Gigs, 4Gigs, 8Gigs and so on. Is it possible to have an odd number of RAM like 5 Gigs?
I've a small feeling your friend is a Mac fanboy and, like all mac fanboys, don't have the slightest clue what they're on about.

Modern Mac PC's run off x86 architecture, so theoretically the same code that would work on Windows will work on a Mac, however there are a lot of compiler differences between Windows and Mac, so no, the same software could not be run save for the intervention of a compiler specifically for the Mac OS. A number of games are now being made to work on Mac because of the same architecture between both OS' making it fairly easy to do so. But it's not as simple as your friend seems to be putting it. The only other way is to get a Mac and load a copy of Windows through Bootcamp, but to be honest, by the time you've done that, just get a PC...

Lastly, it's theoretically possible to have an odd numbered amount of RAM, however it would be unlike Apple to make it asymmetrical like that. They always progress upwards in even numbers.

Conclusion: Your friend is a fanboy, listen to nothing they say, they're just trying to sell you something by lying through their teeth.

PS - The best graphics performance you can expect from a current gen Mac Tower is a 5870. So, even if they did run all PC games, it honestly wouldn't be the best for the job anyway.

PPS - Seriously, if you're looking into getting a new machine for the purpose of gaming among other things, do yourself (and your wallet) a massive favour and stay away from Apple. Windows PC's will do gaming better, any sort of design equally well and any other mundane task equally well. For cheaper, too.

*Sigh*... And breathe...

ckam

Make America Great For Who?
Oct 8, 2008
I suppose it could do that. If you have programs like Crossover or something, then I guess it works.

Charey Wolf

Oct 10, 2011
No .EXE files cannot run on macOSX. Even with WINE which is designed to "emulate" windows only ~%50 of windows programs will run. You can install windows on a mac but then you are running windows.

Cronq

Oct 11, 2010
You've encountered the typical Apple user. Doesn't know shit about his hardware. Steve Jobs was the greatest brain washer of our time.

Dirty Hipsters

This is how we praise the sun!
Legacy
Feb 7, 2011
Country
'Merica
Yeah, I'm with everyone else here in saying that everything your friend said is complete and utter bullshit. It's just a Mac fanboy trying to get you to buy into the Mac, even if he has to do so by coercion.

Macs are nice and all, but they're pretty much useless to a gamer, unless you dual-boot windows (and even then you'll still have problems with hardware drivers). You're much better off buying a decent PC, and then dual-boot OSX onto it if you really want a Mac operating system, and the ability to game.

Overlord93

Jul 12, 2011
That guy is one of those ppl that talk about stuff they have no idea about to look smart
A.K.A. Bullshiters, i know some those types of ppl, do not listen to them, DO NOT!
Its just hard for me to understand how can someone speak about something he doesn't/vaguely knows about confidently as he is an expert on the issue.

AndyFromMonday

Feb 5, 2009
Unless you're going to be doing some heavy editing and stuff I wouldn't recommend a MAC. In fact, I'd recommend staying away from Apple products.

Bluntknife

Sep 8, 2008
You're doing something majorly wrong if a gaming rig would cost you 3000.
These days you shouldn't spend more than 1500.
Anything more and you're just chasing benchmarks.

Atmos Duality

Mar 3, 2010
So?

Macs have been using PC-environment emulators for years now.
Of course, this brings the problems of instability and a higher requirement for hardware.
And that's ignoring how horribly cost-ineffective Mac hardware is. You pay the Fad-Tax.

Hell, my old Linux distro had WINE for the same thing years ago.

Viral_Lola

Jul 13, 2009
Yes, there are games for the Mac but there are some other stuff that you need to do. With anything there is still installing. Also, 1.2k for a gaming laptop, I get but an additional 3K on a gaming rig? Are you crazy? You can do it for much cheaper and with 3k you could buy a decent LCD TV, a 360, a PS3, and some games.

BTW, I am a Mac user and I don't recommend gaming on a Mac. You can do it but you're going to be limited.

Tyro The Fox

Jul 28, 2010
I'm pretty sure it's been said but no. OSX or what-have-you cannot run all Windows software. To run Windows games on a Mac you can do one of three things:

- Use a Program called 'Parallel' to run a version of Windows in. It's a Virtual Machine program that will allow you to run both OS's at the same time. Run whatever you like in the Windows Virtual Machine. However, this may not be the most efficient due to that fact that two OS are running on one set of components.

- Duel-boot Windows or replace OSX entirely. This should allow you to play games using Windows with all the computers resources rather than having to share.

- Forget the Mac and get a PC with the same amount of money. I've heard this little rule for computers: Macs are good for artwork and creativity, PC's are best for games and coding.

On your question about odd amounts of memory: My Laptop has 3GB but it isn't possible to find a 3GB RAM chip. It's made up of a 2GB chip and a 1GB chip. To my knowledge, no-ones bothered to.

fix-the-spade

Feb 25, 2008
The Virgo said:
Well, this friend then said this, pretty much word for word: "All PC games can run on Mac. They were designed on Macs.
He's wrong and he's right (kinda), but he's still a moron.

Games are mostly made with Macs, in fact the whole creative industry more or less run on Macs, specifically, Mac Workstations.
Just for reference my 'old' work Mac has two quad core Xeon processors, 24GBRAM, a built in RAID controller, two 256GB SSdrives and a pair of Tesla GPPUs in it. It's hysterically fast, nothing I could buy with my own money comes anywhere near the amount of data that thing can crunch. It also cost ten grand and no, I don't get to keep it at home, or play games on it (can but dream).

These things have about as much relation to the iMac you can buy on the street as a Formula 1 car does to a Fiat 500.

As far as store bought PCs go, you can indeed play any PC game on a Mac if you install Windows on it. They run on pretty normal Intel and Nvidia hardware so it's actually very simple. But you could just go out and buy normal PC with the ame hardware for less than half price.

drosalion

Nov 10, 2009
Your friend is an idiot, dont listen to him.

As for what computer to get, a mac will always be incredibly more expensive for significantly less power, but they'll generally be relatively user friendly. But if you know how to use windows and are comfortable with it then dont get a mac as theres 0 reason to.

As to the things your friend said specifically
- the games being instantlly installed is rubbish.
- most, if not all games are NOT designed FOR macs (whether or not they're designed ON macs is irrelevant).
- not all games run on macs, although all macs can install windows so u can do it by that but its a hassle.
- $1,200 for a pc (windows) will buy you a perfectly suitable mid-high end gaming machine that can run all new games on high settings, for which you'd be paying ~$2,500 or more for equivalent specs on a Mac.

ShindoL Shill

Truely we are the Our Avatars XI
Jul 11, 2011
if it has Mac written on the box/steam page, it'll run.
until you need to upgrade it, in which case you have to... fuck it, it'll be cheaper to use your gaming rig for as much work as possible, and not get a Mac (unless you're a graphic designer/film editor).

Sectan

Aug 7, 2011
Buying the parts individually online and putting them together yourself is a pretty easy thing to do if you want a desktop. Make sure you know what you're doing or you could be stuck with incompatible pieces. Alienware is pretty good. You can get a prebuilt gaming laptop for about 1500 or even 2000 USD if you want to go that route.