"All PC Games Run On Macs." What?

mitchell271

Sep 3, 2010
TLS14 said:
"No installing, no waiting."

Wat? Just wat?

Also, to those saying RAM modules go in even numbers, you can actually have, say, two 2GB modules and a 1GB module, provided that they're the same speed and (recommended) from the same manufacturer.

But anyway, even if you're doing video editing and stuff like that, PCs are cheaper, and come with a lot of the same (or even better) programs.

Hell, I do professional video and photo editing on my $800 gaming PC, and it works just fine.
thought you needed 2 RAM modules of the same kind for there to be any kind of effect. if not, well fuck.

OT: your friend was probably talking about OnLive, not Macs as a system. if he was, he was talking out of his ass

La Barata

Apr 13, 2010
Your friend appears brain damaged. I suggest you put him down before he hurts someone.

In all seriousness, macs are known to be about as functional for gaming as an etch a sketch.

ComicsAreWeird

Oct 14, 2010
I´ve got nothing else to say but to agree with those who say that your friend´s dad is full of it. Mac´s are beautifully designed but not the easiest platform to run games.

Adam Jensen_v1legacy

I never asked for this
Sep 8, 2011
That guy is either the dumbest person alive or just a troll. No, Mac can't play all PC games. A shitload of games can't be played on Mac. It's not a gaming computer. If you want a gaming computer, get a Windows desktop. And the thing about RAM doesn't make sense. A $1200 PC can have 1Gb or 2Gb of RAM if you put all the money in other components. Or it could have 16Gb of RAM if you choose to do that. As far as I know you don't have a lot of freedom when choosing a Mac. You can build a custom PC from ground up, every piece of hardware can be picked separately.

Michael Hirst

May 18, 2011
Macs are getting better at running games but still not as many as windows.

A Mac will cost you a lot more money as well, I remember building my rig for £750 (including monitor) and the Mac equivelent (all specs the same with a slightly LESS powerful processor) was £1200

There's a lot of stuff about booting windows on them as well but it's more effort than its worth and more damn money on the computer. If you want games stick with a PC. I hate to generalize but EVERY Mac fan I've met (in person) doesn't know ANYTHING about specs or what makes a computer good just spouting that Macs are better.

Snake Plissken

Jul 30, 2010
Yep, and microwaves double as Xbox360 consoles. Seriously, go buy a disc and pop it in. Check it out. I'm totally not lying.

Oh yeah, and vodka totally counts as water. I'm serious. That stuff will hydrate the shit out of you.

I'm at least as educated as the moron who told you that all games run on Macs. You should probably listen to my advice instead of his.

Tharwen

Ep. VI: Return of the turret
May 7, 2009
I've spent the last 2 days trying to get Wine to work on my Macbook, and the strong impression I'm getting is that no, Macs cannot run Windows software.

JPArbiter

Oct 14, 2010
there is a program called "Plays on a Mac" that has allowed me to run most windows games. I only have trouble with stuff that requires steam support. (but I prefer Dawn of War I to II anyway)

The Lugz

Apr 23, 2011
The Virgo said:
First of all: Please read the whole post before posting. Thanks!

Last night, a friend of mine and my dad's dropped by. Well, we got on the subject of computers and he starting saying that, for the things I do, an iMac would be perfect.

Well, my gaming computer is so old that the latest game I've played is The Sims 3, and it was pretty laggy at that. <:'-( So, for the past few years I've missed out on games. (I don't even have an Xbox360, a PS3 or, God-forbid, a Wii.) So, we mentioned that it would be difficult to spend $1,200 on a work computer and THEN spend at least $3,000 bucks on a new, up-to-date gaming rig.

Well, this friend then said this, pretty much word for word: "All PC games can run on Mac. They were designed on Macs. You put it in and, BOOM, it's loaded. No installing, no waiting, it's in there instantly. On a computer, you have to put it in, wait for it to install, no, not on a Mac. It's installed the moment you put it in."

Well, to be honest, to me, that sounded, and still sounds, like bullshit. VALVe just recently made Steam available for Macs and Skyrim doesn't seem to have OSX support.

However, since my dad and I are not really computer savvy, I wanted to give our friend the benefit of the doubt by asking here: Can an iMac run all PC games? Even old ones that you would get at Good Old Games?

Also, he mentioned when talking about the difference between the $700 and $1,200 iMac, he said the $1,200 iMac has, "... Five more gigs of RAM." Um, that's funny; I always thought RAM cam in 256MB, 512MB, 2Gigs, 4Gigs, 8Gigs and so on. Is it possible to have an odd number of RAM like 5 Gigs?
complicated question, complicated answer..

ever more windows applications will run on macs, and mac has a 'bootcamp' that will run some things
eg, bioware has no officially supported mac platform but the new mmo starwars the old republic works perfectly in bootcamp, so there is no need.
not every program or game will work thus, it's somewhat hit and miss.

and yes, you can have an odd number of ram i myself had 12 gigs on my main pc, i currently have 3 gigs of videoram for a long while and i had 3gb system ram in a laptop
it simply depends on what density of ram you put in the slots.
you could, theoretically get 1024+512+256 and make 1.75 gb.
when you put a 32 bit os in a system with 4gb of ram, you only actually get 3.3-3.6 available ram
due to software limitations, as you can see ram is quite flexable
however such things are not recommended for stability it could cause problems in poorly coded programs

physically, hardware wise mac's and pc's are identical these days nearly every component is interchangeable in the computing market right now

lastly, mac pc's are overpriced, they are overpriced because someone had to physically check the hardware setup and sell that information on plus vendor mark-up
you get good compatibility when using a mac
there will be less problems with program and hardware compatibility
that is what you pay for

it is the exact same service you get when choosing a laptop, or a windows pc built by a reputable company such as alien ware
you get a price bump, but it is guaranteed to work.
the components and included software are vetted to work under any condition with each other

lastly you really need to get a doctor if you're paying $3000 for a gaming pc
honestly, go ask some system builders they can make you a pc for half that with a shelf life of 6 years purely because you can make a build that has upgrade paths avalible
so, you pay $1500 now, and $200 later for parts that have devalued in price and you effectively have the $3k pc you wanted minus the wasted cash and overkill future-proofing
it's far better this way, i promise.

Sprong

Nov 17, 2009
yuval152 said:
He's shitting you,Mac can only play old windows games like warcraft 3 and only when using an emulator,or games that are made for it.*giggels*
Blizzard has always released all their games for Mac and PC together right since Warcraft I, and they run equally well on both (i.e. WCIII isn't a Windows game, it's a hybrid). Growing up with Macs in the house, early Blizzard games were some of the few I could actually play!

OT: I'm a Mac user, and your friend is wrong. Many more games are ported to work on Mac than there used to be, but higher-end games designed for Windows (which most are) tend to work more smoothly on Windows, especially if you have a lower-end machine. Essentially I don't think ported games are often optimised as well for Mac as they are for PC. I'm running a late 2006 iMac, and Portal and Half-Life are much smoother when I boot into my Windows XP partition and play them there, instead of playing in OSX (even though my computer is using the same hardware in both cases).

yuval152 said:
Also you can't upgrade your MAC,so if you're planning on get a MAC Don't.and also punch your friend in the face for me.
This is true - you can't upgrade anything beyond the RAM. I would love to upgrade the 128MB graphics card on my machine, but it isn't possible.

Don't get me wrong, I love my Mac, and the ability to run both OSX and Windows is awesome, but they aren't hardcore gaming machines. As I only play occasionally it's not a problem for me, but it doesn't sound like it's what you're looking for.

MrMrAwesom

Mar 19, 2011
Hey look here!
haven't watched them in a while but I think it goes
~$500
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FpLVkH78hEY
~$1000
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CcPkqOrnpHU

Probably do everything on both but soon to be released games will probably run 5 fps on max settings tho :p

Whoatemysupper

Aug 20, 2010
If you have access to say, the governments computer retirement yard, you can build a pretty sweet computer for 150$. I can run Napoleon TW on very high in 4v4 online.

CezarIgnat

Jul 5, 2009
The Virgo said:
Here are the reasons why you shouldn't buy a MAC in a great list form.
http://arthurseverythingblog.files.wordpress.com/2010/10/whynottobuyamac.png show this to your friend.

BiscuitTrouser

Elite Member
May 19, 2008
The Virgo said:
First of all: Please read the whole post before posting. Thanks!

Last night, a friend of mine and my dad's dropped by. Well, we got on the subject of computers and he starting saying that, for the things I do, an iMac would be perfect.

Well, my gaming computer is so old that the latest game I've played is The Sims 3, and it was pretty laggy at that. <:'-( So, for the past few years I've missed out on games. (I don't even have an Xbox360, a PS3 or, God-forbid, a Wii.) So, we mentioned that it would be difficult to spend $1,200 on a work computer and THEN spend at least $3,000 bucks on a new, up-to-date gaming rig.

Well, this friend then said this, pretty much word for word: "All PC games can run on Mac. They were designed on Macs. You put it in and, BOOM, it's loaded. No installing, no waiting, it's in there instantly. On a computer, you have to put it in, wait for it to install, no, not on a Mac. It's installed the moment you put it in."

Well, to be honest, to me, that sounded, and still sounds, like bullshit. VALVe just recently made Steam available for Macs and Skyrim doesn't seem to have OSX support.

However, since my dad and I are not really computer savvy, I wanted to give our friend the benefit of the doubt by asking here: Can an iMac run all PC games? Even old ones that you would get at Good Old Games?

Also, he mentioned when talking about the difference between the $700 and $1,200 iMac, he said the $1,200 iMac has, "... Five more gigs of RAM." Um, that's funny; I always thought RAM cam in 256MB, 512MB, 2Gigs, 4Gigs, 8Gigs and so on. Is it possible to have an odd number of RAM like 5 Gigs?
This person is a liar or an idiot. Its in a CD it DOES need an install. Most games DO NOT RUN ON MAC. Steam might but steam games? Not many at all.

DAMMIT NINJA!

CezarIgnat said:
The Virgo said:
Here are the reasons why you shouldn't buy a MAC in a great list form.
http://arthurseverythingblog.files.wordpress.com/2010/10/whynottobuyamac.png show this to your friend.
Dont get a mac. Show this to your friend. Tell him hes an idiot.

Dascylus

May 22, 2010
Your friend is lying...
Plus, if you build your own PC (it's not as difficult as it seems just find someone who knows what they are doing) you can build a PC to suit your needs.
Then as your needs change and if you need that extra oomph you can just upgrade that element your deck is lacking.
If your friend can be so wrong about the capabilities of macs then I would doubt his knowledge of how they would sort your needs.

Cleffy

Apr 16, 2011
Ram actually does not need to be even. You have single channel through quad channel memory. Depending on your motherboard you can have an uneven amount of ram. Most consumer boards are currently dual and triple channel.
If your LGA 1366 board has only 3 dimms, then getting 3x512 is perfectly reasonable. However we are not at quint channel memory yet and I don't think we ever will be(They will most likely push to 6 or 8 channel memory next). So a 5GB setup would just be plain stupid.

Also even though OSX can bootcamp Windows, usually the hardware in an iMac is not sufficient to play most PC games. They are usually built for macs which means DirectX performance suffers. The cost of the components is also ALOT larger then they are with a PC.

JochemDude

Nov 23, 2010
He be bullshitting you. I love my Mac and it does everything right, except gaming. Just get a decent Windows Powerhouse for that.