All Post-Launch Overwatch Heroes And Maps Will be Free

Steven Bogos

The Taco Man
Jan 17, 2013
All Post-Launch Overwatch Heroes And Maps Will be Free

Blizzard has confirmed that any new heroes or maps added to Overwatch will be free for all owners of the game.

how post-launch heroes would be handled [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/tag/view/overwatch] but now, game director Jeff Kaplan has confirmed that any new heroes and maps added to the game after launch will be completely free for everyone. Hooray!

"We have ideas for additional maps and heroes that we'd like to add to the game," said Kaplan in the developer commentary video above. "So we've thought about this and decided the best way to add them to the game is to patch them in as free content and not as DLC."

Note that Kaplan does not 100% rule out the possibility of micro-transactions. The game's two collector's editions come with an assortment of in-game "skins", so it is fairly likely we will see some sort of in-game cosmetics store.

Still, in this age of $50 season passes [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/142806-Star-Wars-Battlefront-Season-Pass-Announced] and pay-to-win microtransactions, it is incredibly refreshing to see Blizzard sell a product that you pay for once and will not split the community in any way.

While Kaplan did said that his team already has some ideas for future heroes, he didn't offer any sort of timeline on when they may be added.

Overwatch is currently set for a Spring, 2016 release, on PC, PS4 and Xbox One.

Source: Blizzard [https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OKG8Yx6F7uc]

Sep 14, 2009
this definitely puts overwatch back in the realm of a possibly purchase, but that price tag on it still doesn't entice me...and knowing blizzard, it'll be 2 years before it's marked down 15 bucks.

Hopefully the full release of this game blows me away, otherwise tf2 still scratches that itch for now.

shintakie10

Sep 3, 2008
That's incredibly reassuring. This was the only thing I was worried about with regards to Overwatch and made me wary of future purchases of it. Its super fun and I enjoyed the hell out of it, but worrying about more heroes and maps costing money was...worrisome.

Now they've outright stated no paid for heroes/maps. I have no more worries at this point.

I've never ever felt the need to say this before, but after playing Overwatch for a good 100 hours at this point since I got into beta.

Shut up and take my money.

Redryhno

Jul 25, 2011
shintakie10 said:
That's incredibly reassuring. This was the only thing I was worried about with regards to Overwatch and made me wary of future purchases of it. Its super fun and I enjoyed the hell out of it, but worrying about more heroes and maps costing money was...worrisome.

Now they've outright stated no paid for heroes/maps. I have no more worries at this point.

I've never ever felt the need to say this before, but after playing Overwatch for a good 100 hours at this point since I got into beta.

Shut up and take my money.
Really? I sorta got bored after about my 18. Was really hoping that I'd enjoy it more(I honestly do, because i"m pretty sure I am/was taking up the spot of somebody that would love it at the moment...), but I suppose maybe I've gotten too old for shooters or something to enjoy it the way it should be(or I just don't really have a character I really like at the moment). But there's some broken ass shit in that game at the moment. Hopefully more maps will balance most of the problems though. And with them being free sounds great.

RedDeadFred

Illusions, Michael!
May 13, 2009
Wow, I was completely expecting this to be another Evolve situation. I bet they could have gotten away with it too given their huge following. This game is back on my radar now.

ASnogarD

Jul 2, 2009
Woah gamers, how is this good?
Why are gamers happy with Blizzard for selling you a full priced game and then potentially selling you cosmetics ?
Yes, its good they wont DLC or Micro maps and Heroes (except probably in a 'expansion'), but the fact gamers are happy to have pay for cosmetics in a game gamers must pay for (its going to happen you, you cant deny it)

Need I remind you that there are a number of games that you don't (but can) need to use real money to buy heroes, and maps are completely free (be pointless to sell maps, then those maps wont be played enough), and only cosmetics need money to buy.
Those games also don't charge you full price to access the cash shop either.

Gamers give Blizzard too much of a positive reaction because they WONT screw us over, much ?
When did we go from Customers to worshippers that feel blessed to receive gifts from up high ?

It's actually quiet funny, its like gamers are happy to get robbed as long as the robber doesn't hurt them...

Legion

Were it so easy
Oct 2, 2008
ASnogarD said:
Why are gamers happy with Blizzard for selling you a full priced game and then potentially selling you cosmetics ?
Yes, its good they wont DLC or Micro maps and Heroes (except probably in a 'expansion'), but the fact gamers are happy to have pay for cosmetics in a game gamers must pay for (its going to happen you, you cant deny it)

Need I remind you that there are a number of games that you don't (but can) need to use real money to buy heroes, and maps are completely free (be pointless to sell maps, then those maps wont be played enough), and only cosmetics need money to buy.

Gamers give Blizzard too much of a positive reaction because they WONT screw us over, much ?
When did we go from Customers to worshippers that feel blessed to receive gifts from up high ?

It's actually quiet funny, its like gamers are happy to get robbed as long as the robber doesn't hurt them...
I could understand this response if people were going giddy and praising Blizzard for the decision, but people so far have merely been saying that the game may actually be worth getting now.

I don't see anybody "worshipping" Blizzard here.

Hawki

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 4, 2014
Country
Australia
Well, kudos there. Speaking personally, I've love singleplayer material. If SC2 is receiving mission packs as DLC, I think Overwatch could benefit from a similar model. It wouldn't split the community after all.

ASnogarD

Jul 2, 2009
A KissLike Smile said:
ASnogarD said:

I could understand this response if people were going giddy and praising Blizzard for the decision, but people so far have merely been saying that the game may actually be worth getting now.

I don't see anybody "worshipping" Blizzard here.
The worship comment is (obviously) an exaggeration to emphasise my point.

It still remains valid that gamers are looking at this move by Blizzard in a positive light, however it isn't really, more like a shift in how much players are being exploited as a commodity, a reduction in customer exploitation.
Game is MP only, with a full price tag, highly likely to include cosmetic micro transactions and we are happy they wont charge us for new maps and heroes...

...sounds like we are thankful they are only being so bad, could be far worse, yes ?

synobal

Jun 8, 2011
Still it's a multiplayer only game with 8 maps and 2 game modes at this point for 40 dollars..I think I'll wait.

Legion

Were it so easy
Oct 2, 2008
ASnogarD said:
The worship comment is (obviously) an exaggeration to emphasise my point.

It still remains valid that gamers are looking at this move by Blizzard in a positive light, however it isn't really, more like a shift in how much players are being exploited as a commodity, a reduction in customer exploitation.
Game is MP only, with a full price tag, highly likely to include cosmetic micro transactions and we are happy they wont charge us for new maps and heroes...

...sounds like we are thankful they are only being so bad, could be far worse, yes ?
It's actually $20 cheaper than a normal full priced game, so all things considered, it's not like people are getting ripped off. Micro-transactions as far as I am concerned are not really an issue as long as they are not pay-to-win or a part of a system where you are manipulated into getting them to avoid grinding.

Until I see what the cosmetics are like and how much they cost, I will reserve judgement on how bad they are. If they are something ridiculous like ?1.50 for a different coloured gun then sure, I will have issues. But if they actually release cosmetics that are worth the money then I am not seeing the issue.

But even then, I don't see people being thankful either. Relieved perhaps, but that's not something that includes gratitude like you are suggesting.

UsefulPlayer 1

Feb 22, 2008
I feel like I can really understand the hesitant decision at first. Can you imagine the meeting? "Hey guys, do you want to make a ton of money or a fuck ton of money?"

....but how about different weapon sets? From what I understand, TF2 never added new characters but expanded upon the weapons those characters can use.

Scarim Coral

Jumped the ship
Legacy
Oct 29, 2010
Country
UK
That sound great to me (if only I buy a new graphic card) but in saying so is there a "pre" (I notice a post in the title)? Also yes I know about those extra skins and other bonus contents if you owned other Blizzard games.

Zelderahn

Feb 19, 2014
This is kinda just Blizzard staying the course of their usual method of handling pay-2-play titles. Big chunk of initial content, then a methodical trickle from the reduced crew that continues to support it (ala Reaper of Souls era Diablo3).

The doomsaying that was going on that derived from how they handle their F2P games like Heroes has been quenched, panic averted, the 40USD (20 below full release AAA titles like CoD and Battlefield I believe?) for a laser focused team shooter with cooldown abilities is seemingly what we're going to get.

I'm sure Blizzard are flattered at notions of worship, but this is just them staying true to their usual form. No need for a hoolabaloo.

thewatergamer

Aug 4, 2012
Glad to hear that, I was a little concerned we would have Blizzard having it's cake and trying to eat it too by making a evolve situation, but since this has been confirmed count me in, if they have cosmetic micro-transactions added to the game later down the line, well as long as they are up front about it and keep them strictly cosmetic while adding free content I will be absolutely fine with that

SlumlordThanatos

Lord Inquisitor
Aug 25, 2014
Hmm.

Still not going to buy it day 1, but whether or not the game will have staying power remains to be seen. If the servers aren't dead after a couple of months, I'll consider picking it up.

But then again, we still have no guarantee that there will be new heroes added to the game. I'm still very, very skeptical of the $40 price tag, since it basically includes a season pass, and I'm not sure just how much new content will be added.

I'm less apprehensive than I was before, but I still have a "wait and see" attitude.

shintakie10

Sep 3, 2008
ASnogarD said:
That's some ridiculous hyperbole there. Selling future cosmetics that have no effect on power in a game is somehow robbing people? That's...I'm not even sure how to process that.

Maybe I dont find cosmetics as future dlc to be a huge issue? Like, honestly. How is a random skin that costs X amount of money that in now way, shape, or form impacts the game a problem? It helps prolong a games longevity without completely fuckin over customers by splitting communities or forcing p2w situations. As long as this isn't a Street Fighter 4 situation where all the costumes were on the disc at launch, includin ones that wouldn't be released for several months, then I seriously have no problem with it.

Seriously though. I would like to know your thinking here. What's the problem with cosmetic dlc added that costs money in a box game? What does it hurt? Heck, unless you buy on consoles its not even a full priced game unless you specifically want the fancy extras. Its only 40 bucks.

thewatergamer said:
Glad to hear that, I was a little concerned we would have Blizzard having it's cake and trying to eat it too by making a evolve situation, but since this has been confirmed count me in, if they have cosmetic micro-transactions added to the game later down the line, well as long as they are up front about it and keep them strictly cosmetic while adding free content I will be absolutely fine with that
Given that the Origins edition comes with 5 skins and they're selling another one as a preorder incentive for any edition its pretty much a given that they'll sell skins later on. Price point may or may not be an issue. Given Blizzards track record I expect them to be on the slightly higher side since pretty much all their cosmetic stuff costs a chunk of change. I would say its ridiculous, but considerin I'm one of the people that enabled this by buying 25 dollar mounts in WoW I'm not allowed to complain.

ASnogarD

Jul 2, 2009
The issue I have is that the tactic often used to introduce new avenues of monetisation is to trickle feed the customer base, then defenders will use the 'What's the harm ?' defence, later on when more is added the defenders then simply say 'We have always had that, why complain now ?'.

My issue is that obviously cosmetics and other little none game play effecting (ie 'harmless') cash shop items are lucrative, massively so otherwise games like LoL, SMITE and DOTA2 (to name a few) wouldn't be viable.
They don't charge you to enter the shop though, so its fair in that manner, Activision wants both the shop and charge you access to the shop.
Yes, harmless... for now.

Remember when they started with DLC, trickle trickle ? Now ?