All PS4 Games Will Be Available as Downloads

thesilentman

What this
Jun 14, 2012
They'd better include a 1 TB hard drive as a standard then. I have no issue with the games being all digital, but 50 gigs? Are we sure that we didn't get a mistranslation? 50 is wayyyy too much for a game now.

RicoADF

Welcome back Commander
Jun 2, 2009
Zachary Amaranth said:
wooty said:
50 gigs per game? The hells that all about?

Though I am happy to see physical disk copies still on the table, for now at least. Even all my PC games are still bought in disk form. I'm an impatient guy and still cant be arsed downloading big games when my internet speeds go up and down like Liverpools goal difference.
Bit don't you hate going out and interacting with people? :p

Daystar Clarion said:
50 gigs?!

How the fantastical flying ferret fuck is that even possible?

Even with large HDD, going completely digital isn't even an option for the PS4 if the games are 50 gig, not to mention download caps.
To be fair, this kind of stupidity isn't new. Remember when Microsoft was trying to push their HD digital services AND DLC with only a 20 GB HDD as an option?

EDIT: not to downplay the DL cap, either. Comcast is still the most generous in offering a 250 GB monthly cap, which means on the best cap you'll burn a fifth of your monthly allotment with one game.

It's like they're trying to turn me into a PC advocate.

Anyway, what are they doing? Creating exact disc images of the game disc and shipping those to us? I do note that 50 GBs would be the right size for that.
Wait a sec, you only get 250GB? I have 500GB and have yet to cap it afaik, looks like PS4 might meet that challenge.... maybe..... if I ever download a game from PSN.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
RicoADF said:
Wait a sec, you only get 250GB? I have 500GB and have yet to cap it afaik, looks like PS4 might meet that challenge.... maybe..... if I ever download a game from PSN.
Yup, 250 GB and we're the highest cap in the US.

I've only topped my bandwidth cap once, but if this is the future, I'd be topping it routinely.

RicoADF

Welcome back Commander
Jun 2, 2009
Zachary Amaranth said:
RicoADF said:
Yup, 250 GB and we're the highest cap in the US.

I've only topped my bandwidth cap once, but if this is the future, I'd be topping it routinely.
Where did all the people saying that Australia's net is so bad in comparison (claiming they have unlimited internet) come from? The more I hear about the states the more I see your behind us. Eg: when I visited in 2011 the trains were worse than our old trains which will be fully phased out by the end of the year, not having NBN level internet etc. I'm seriously confused where the claims come from.

zumbledum

Nov 13, 2011
ScrabbitRabbit said:
"PS4 downloads will utilize a "progressive download" system, says Yoshida, which means you won't have to wait for the whole thing to download before you start playing. "Once you have the minimum amount of data downloaded you can begin the game, and while you play, the remaining data downloads.""

That... is actually a fantastic idea. I wish Steam did that. Or at least let me start playing without having to install all the updates first.
Think this is out of steams hands unfortunately , though i suppose they could start "encouraging" developers to deliver their software in this way. blizzard do it already with their stuff and have done for quite a while now

Covarr

PS Thanks
May 29, 2009
Let's ignore what he said, and read what he meant. Blu-Ray discs top out at 50GB, and downloading MGS4 would come with an unbearable wait... but the vast majority of games likely won't actually reach that. I strongly doubt devs are going to be forced to pad their games to 50GB.

P.S. Thanks

aelreth

Dec 26, 2012
Unfortunate, I plan on staying in Alaska for the next few years. The cartel that operates local internet internet connectivity show no willingness to expand. I have to get promoted to continue my lifestyle.

I pay a dollar for every gigabyte I go over my limit.

sXeth

Elite Member
Legacy
Nov 15, 2012
Uhm yeah. 80 gig cap on Rogers Canada. I think theres some super-expensive plan that does 120.
God only knows about Australia, or more rural areas in NA trying to run this stuff.

I'm assuming its only the FF/MG/maybe Elder Scrolls thats going to be doing that though, with most games clocking in at more conventional amounts.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
RicoADF said:
Where did all the people saying that Australia's net is so bad in comparison (claiming they have unlimited internet) come from? The more I hear about the states the more I see your behind us. Eg: when I visited in 2011 the trains were worse than our old trains which will be fully phased out by the end of the year, not having NBN level internet etc. I'm seriously confused where the claims come from.
To be fair, it used to be that we had no bandwidth caps and you guys were paying pretty steep by the gig by and large. Things have changed, but you know how stereotypes go.

Plus, nationalism. People believe we're the best nation on the planet because they've been told so and have no comparison.

To be fair, we used to have GREAT internet, comparably. Like a lot of things, though, not so much anymore.

Strazdas

Robots will replace your job
May 28, 2011
50 gigs per game? your kidding right?

here i got this 4 MB game that does more than your 30 GB ones does nowdays. do you need 50 GB to chun in more graphics and less gameplay?

the largest game i played ever took 16 gigs, and it wasnt spectacular by far, just poorly optimized.
RicoADF said:
You know, there is this magic wonderland called Europe. or you could call it Asia. Or how about South america. You know, pretty much everywhere btu North America and Africa.
we may have worse buses, but that is not important. having cap on your internet is. we phased out such caps like 5 years ago and those ISP that still do that have them at quite ridiculosu heights (a cheap plan from my old ISP gives 1000 GB limit), a cheapest possible plan from my current ISP gives me 50/50mbps and i dont really need more speed, if i paid double that i could get 300/300mbps though.

Riku'sTwilight

Dec 21, 2009
Just to poke my nose into this topic. UK here and my internet has an unlimited data cap (Fair use applies but still, it's pretty large) with what I guess is good download speed.

While a 50gb game would certainly be a pain to download, just because of the time it takes (an 8gb game takes me just over an hour)

Jason Triggs

Sep 25, 2013
I call b.s.

No PC game ever made was 50 gb, even with patches/expansions etc. PC games are typically more graphically demanding than their console cousins and that still applies today.

The PS4 is still a computer at heart, with nothing more than an ATI 7850+, so something is completely off kilter, or that game is very poorly designed.

dduttonnc

Oct 24, 2014
People need to STOP whining about ps4 download sizes. Here is why

1) PS3 and PS4 games, when delivered on disc are BLURAY discs that hold 25-50GB of content. So what when you DL a 45GB game, you are DL the FULL game.. unless you'd like sony to compress textures more, remove code, and features. So if you don't like the size. GO BUY IT ON DISK!!

2) YOU DONT HAVE TO DL THE WHOLE 50GB! After 2-4GB a game will stop DLing and you can RUN it. It will continue to DL in the background while you play it OR in standby mode... The game with DL the executable and enough data to get you going. ALL PS4 GAMES ARE THIS WAY. IT IS MANDATED BY SONY. NO PS4 GAME DEVELOPER MAY DEVIATE FROM THIS

3) Those of you with data caps with your ISP... I'd stick to Blueray discs then as many ISPs have a 300-500GB a month cap. I have TWC Business class cable modem with a 112Mbpsx20Mbps here in Charlotte, NC, USA. I pay 3X more than residential, but I get: no caps, no throttling, and priority bandwidth using while in the TWC network over residential data, including locally in my neighborhood.. so I NEVER slow down at peak times.

4) What if you have a SLOW connection? (DSL .. or basically anything under 20Mbit, I consider slow these days).. you wait for the minimal 2-6GB to DL.. then play...then let it DL in the background

5) sony wont go all digial for 3-5 yrs.. by then a new playstation will be out

6) now that the PS and Xbox are PCs, they can EASILY be upgraded MUCH more often.. so we could see the PS 4.1 in 1-2 yrs and devs just adjust the games for the console revision... just like windows and mac users can adjust game performance to fit their machine... in this case the devs do it for you...

That's about it folks... 75% of PS4 and Xbone game will be on disk..but 5 yrs from now.. it'll be flipped... 25% on disc... 75% DL only... so if you want to keep up with things.. Keep your internet at 20Mbps or faster... and I know that's not easy

but with the way the ps4 AND xbone does things, you can start playing the game after the first 2-6 (closer to 4-6) GB have been DLed... and 4-6GB doesn't take THAT long even on an 8Mbps connection

I've seen a 69GB ps4 game already...with digital DL, they can EXCEED the space on a blueray disk

The problem for me is the small 500GB HDD in the ps4

I replaced it with a 2TB drive... and you can install an external drive as internal to get the Ps4 up to 4-6GB of space.. actually. I have a friend who bought a SATA raid box... he put 5 4TB drives in it.. plugged it into windows.. formatted it RAID 5.. and hotwired it into his PS4.. he now has a 16GB RAID 5 array on his ps4.. if one fails.. the box puts a redlight on the failed drive and it's hot swappable... personally i think that's OVERKILL For the Ps4

2TB-4TB PLENTY

dduttonnc

Oct 24, 2014
Jason Triggs said:
I call b.s.

No PC game ever made was 50 gb, even with patches/expansions etc. PC games are typically more graphically demanding than their console cousins and that still applies today.

The PS4 is still a computer at heart, with nothing more than an ATI 7850+, so something is completely off kilter, or that game is very poorly designed.
What you are saying is 10000% INCORRECT.. I Can go name at LEAST 2-3 STEAM games 30,40, or even 50GB in size.

dduttonnc

Oct 24, 2014
Jason Triggs said:
I call b.s.

People like you need too RESEARCH before opening mouth because it really makes you look bad and I'm about to make you look worse.. on Steam for windows it's almost the SAME size as PS4/XBONE.. and some of these PC games were out BEFORE the PS4....FYI...

Alien Isolation - 25GB
Assassin Creed 4 - 30GB
Bio-shock Infinite - 45GB
Thief - 25GB
Evil Within - 40GB
The Secret World - A WHOPPING 73GB!!!!
Final Fantasy 13 - 53GB!!!
Shadows of Mordor - 50GB

Why are they so big? SIMPLE.. the new consoles ARE PCs no longer limited to 512MB of shared video/system RAM.. now they have 8GB GDDR RAM for video AND code... 4 CORE CPUs capable of 8 threads at once.. and decent AMD GPUs.. this allows for MUCH high res textures and less compression

PC games were LIMITED by the PS3 and 360 because they didn't want to do extra work for the PC in many cases... now that a PS4 = midrange gaming PC.. devs can go crazy now with TONS of multi threaded GPU and CPU code... HIGH res , HIGH detail textures... stuff that takes up 10 TIMES the memory of the prev gen consoles.. and that DOES reflect in a good way

So just some advice.. before popping off that you KNOW SOMETHING FOR SURE: RESEARCH :)

dduttonnc

Oct 24, 2014
Seth Carter said:
Uhm yeah. 80 gig cap on Rogers Canada. I think theres some super-expensive plan that does 120.
God only knows about Australia, or more rural areas in NA trying to run this stuff.

I'm assuming its only the FF/MG/maybe Elder Scrolls thats going to be doing that though, with most games clocking in at more conventional amounts.
NO ISP should have a cap less than 300GB..if they do.. be it Alaska.. the rest of the USA or CANADA

SUE THEM

Many ppl have sued ISPs and gotten rid of caps

OR pay a bit more and get the BUSINESS CLASS version of what you have which remove caps in 90% of ISPs

If a resident buys a 112x20mbps connection, where I live, it's 149.99$/month with a 300GB cap... I pay just over 350month for the same connection but business class, no caps, no port blocks and NO LATENCY guarenteed while in the TWC network

Rozalia1

Mar 1, 2014
No that can't be right, got a few PS4 digital titles and they are nowhere near 50GB. I assume "up to" 50GB is what was meant as that makes more sense.

Legion said:
Even ignoring the 50GB thing, the UK PSN currently charges £59.99 ($90.65) for Dead Space 3 to download.

It costs £38 ($57.41) from Amazon, and £40 ($60.43) from GAME who are the UK's top two retailers for games.

So who is going to really care anyway? It'd be cheaper for me to buy a game and pay express next day delivery guaranteed.
This pretty much. Outside...space I suppose you can get the physical copy on release for cheaper and actually get a disc and box unlike the digital version.

ScrabbitRabbit said:
That... is actually a fantastic idea. I wish Steam did that. Or at least let me start playing without having to install all the updates first.
Its not an idea, its in effect right now which is why the whole "everything takes ages to download before you can play" chestnut is always just laughable.

dduttonnc

Oct 24, 2014
Rozalia1 said:
No that can't be right, got a few PS4 digital titles and they are nowhere near 50GB. I assume "up to" 50GB is what was meant as that makes more sense.

Legion said:
Even ignoring the 50GB thing, the UK PSN currently charges £59.99 ($90.65) for Dead Space 3 to download.

It costs £38 ($57.41) from Amazon, and £40 ($60.43) from GAME who are the UK's top two retailers for games.

So who is going to really care anyway? It'd be cheaper for me to buy a game and pay express next day delivery guaranteed.
This pretty much. Outside...space I suppose you can get the physical copy on release for cheaper and actually get a disc and box unlike the digital version.

ScrabbitRabbit said:
Its not an idea, its in effect right now which is why the whole "everything takes ages to download before you can play" chestnut is always just laughable.
A PS4 DL game can be ANY size.. there is no 50GB limit... only a disc version of the game has a 50GB limit unless they put it on 2 disks.. that being said.. I have plenty of PS4 games that are only 6GB.. SO there's no set size.. it's whatever they end up being once they are done being made...

In 1-2 yrs we will start seeing 75-100GB games for DL.. once thathappens, the digital DL games will look BETTER vs disc based unless the devs put it on more than one blue ray.. the ONLY way to save space is compress the textures and make them look less pretty

ScrabbitRabbit

Elite Member
Mar 27, 2012
Rozalia1 said:
Um, you might wanna check the dates of the posts you're quoting. I don't even remember posting that it's been so long!

I know you aren't the necromancer here, but still :p