Alleged Con Man Blows Cash On Thousand Dollar Evony Addiction

RoonMian

Mar 5, 2011
Karloff said:
"As a middle-aged, admittedly square, FBI Special Agent who doesn't play video games, I was understandably perplexed when, during the 'follow the money' analysis, I kept seeing payments being made to something I'd never heard of called Evony," says Simon. "I was ... puzzled how anyone could possibly spend thousands of dollars on a video game. I wasn't being judgmental about the societal value of gaming. I was just dumbfounded that any video game could possibly cost that much."
Being a bit younger than "middle-aged" (and I really hope I'm not square) I too am puzzled how anyone could possibly spend thousands of dollars on a video game. Though I am VERY judgmental about the societal value of this aspect of gaming.

RoonMian

Mar 5, 2011
Strazdas said:
Isra said:
Floppertje said:
Wow, that's not racist at all...
Islam is not a race.
Ironically, racism isnt all about race. Legally, the term "racial discrimination" shall mean any distinction, exclusion, restriction, or preference based on race, colour, descent, or national or ethnic origin that has the purpose or effect of nullifying or impairing the recognition, enjoyment or exercise, on an equal footing, of human rights and fundamental freedoms in the political, economic, social, cultural or any other field of public life.{source} [http://www.hri.org/docs/ICERD66.html]

Even more ironically, there aren't any races inside the species homo sapiens. It's not even possible for "racism" to be about "race" because there are no "races". This whole races thing was a scam from the beginning, racism was an ill-chosen term for that creeping fear of stuff that's different from you and thus evil and it's all still so ingrained in our collective minds that even your source, a shitload of sources actually, still get it wrong.

Rtoip

Jan 15, 2011
Aeshi said:
You can add me to the "Wait, Evony is still a thing that exists?!" Crowd

Karloff said:
"-I was just dumbfounded that any video game could possibly cost that much."
2 words and a number for you.

WHY?!
WHAT. THE. FUCK. And I thought that DLC was bad already and it seems I haven't known the worst yet. Seriously DLCs are usually somewhat overpriced for the content they provide, but over 3 THOUSAND dollars in railcars 20$ each is just ridiculous.

OT Scammers loosing their money on something stupid is nothing new really but I like that quote from the FBI agent, so.. reasonable. You don't see that every day.

Isra

May 7, 2013
Strazdas said:
Ironically, racism isnt all about race. Legally, the term "racial discrimination" shall mean any distinction, exclusion, restriction, or preference based on race, colour, descent, or national or ethnic origin that has the purpose or effect of nullifying or impairing the recognition, enjoyment or exercise, on an equal footing, of human rights and fundamental freedoms in the political, economic, social, cultural or any other field of public life.
Your source is fine - but it clearly says race, colour, descent or national or ethnic origin. Since religion doesn't fall under race, colour, descent or nationality, and only falls under ethnic origin when referring to ethnoreligious groups - which "Muslim" is not - it's not racist.

Aeshi said:
2 words and a number for you.

WHY?!
And I thought EA was bad O_O For that price I'd just buy a honda, put big fake chimney on it and get a horn that sounds like a steam train whistle.

Aeshi

Dec 22, 2009
Isra said:
And I thought EA was bad O_O For that price I'd just buy a honda, put big fake chimney on it and get a horn that sounds like a steam train whistle.
Fairly certain for that price you could just BUY your own Railway line.

Strazdas

Robots will replace your job
May 28, 2011
RoonMian said:
Strazdas said:
Isra said:
Floppertje said:
Wow, that's not racist at all...
Islam is not a race.
Ironically, racism isnt all about race. Legally, the term "racial discrimination" shall mean any distinction, exclusion, restriction, or preference based on race, colour, descent, or national or ethnic origin that has the purpose or effect of nullifying or impairing the recognition, enjoyment or exercise, on an equal footing, of human rights and fundamental freedoms in the political, economic, social, cultural or any other field of public life.{source} [http://www.hri.org/docs/ICERD66.html]

Even more ironically, there aren't any races inside the species homo sapiens. It's not even possible for "racism" to be about "race" because there are no "races". This whole races thing was a scam from the beginning, racism was an ill-chosen term for that creeping fear of stuff that's different from you and thus evil and it's all still so ingrained in our collective minds that even your source, a shitload of sources actually, still get it wrong.
well, to be honest, that is only a relatively recent discovery and is newer than either the definition i linked to or the times racism was in high effect. and while races of course do not exist biologically, you could consider then social group categories and still apply it. because racism requires the belief of them being different. not the fact (which there are none).
Though there are still quite a lot of people that are unaware that races dont actually exist they way they think it does. but progress was always slow with humans.

Rtoip said:
WHAT. THE. FUCK. And I thought that DLC was bad already and it seems I haven't known the worst yet. Seriously DLCs are usually somewhat overpriced for the content they provide, but over 3 THOUSAND dollars in railcars 20$ each is just ridiculous.
and then you see "Trains simulator bundle, the main game and 23 DLCs!" (that happened around a month ago actually)

Isra said:
Your source is fine - but it clearly says race, colour, descent or national or ethnic origin. Since religion doesn't fall under race, colour, descent or nationality, and only falls under ethnic origin when referring to ethnoreligious groups - which "Muslim" is not - it's not racist.
Fair enough, you are correct that religiuos discrimination is not racism, however in popular speech muslim has often mean more of a ethnoreligiuos group which would apply. either way, i just wanted to note that the definition is broader than "race".