Almost nothing is fun anymore

chuckman1

Cool
Jan 15, 2009
I have a never ending supply of school work but sometimes I need a break. The problem is everything seems to have lost its luster. I do still enjoy hanging out with friends, but it's not quite the same as it seemed. And I am always up really late when they're sleeping. I used to always play videogames and browse the internet, I still do but I'm just not getting enjoyment from these anymore. I'm having trouble getting the gumption to study and such since I'm not getting a lot of fun to balance it out.

I can find some solace in Medical Marijuana (Let me know if I have to edit this out, but it is legal for me) but that isn't much of an activity because once I'm high there's still not much fun to do.

What should I do?

Eclipse Dragon

Lusty Argonian Maid
Legacy
Jan 23, 2009
Country
United States
@chuckman1

Try doing something you've never done before, preferably something (that's safe!) but gets your adrenaline pumping, like riding a roller coaster, zip-lining, tandem skydiving. Go to the gym and workout hard, or some other type of exercise if you aren't a gym person. That might give you a second wind and get things moving for you again.

Froggy

Jan 24, 2015
@chuckman1

Got the same problem bro, and I've had this problem for years. I focus on work and netflix to get through my day.

Wary Wolf

Sep 10, 2015
Could be early stage depression, so you might want to get onto a school councilor, if you have one. Alternatively, talk about it with someone you trust (not us random wackos on the internet), alternatively see your GP or psychologist. Actually, I can personally recommend some of the internet counselling sites that are run by mental health institutions, don't know how good the American ones are, but the rules and regulations sticky has some links if you need them.

Fortunately, from my experience anyway, depression is pretty transitory, particularly when you find good methods of coping, and own the disease. So whilst cannabis may be helping short term, most medical professionals these days attempt non-medicated remedies. As mentioned; talking about your issues / exercise may be a better way of coping.

Depression is generally typical of people with a high empathy and emotional intelligence by the way.

BadNewDingus

Sep 3, 2014
I'm in the same boat, buddy. At times, I would just stare at my screen doing nothing for an hour or so - trying to think of what to do.

Whenever I find something fun, I usually run it into the ground and kill the joy after a while. Like you, I have weed to at least smooth the boredom out for a bit. Also, don't believe you have depression just for the sake of it. Depression gets thrown around so much these days for people that are just bored with their daily routines.

You just gotta plow through it. You'll get out of the rut and find something enjoyable again.

Batou667

Oct 5, 2011
I used to find myself in a rut if I didn't have a project I was working on. I'd suggest you find a hobby you enjoy - not just something to kill time, like TV and video games, but something that really inspires you. Perhaps a sport, playing poker socially, starting a blog of your artwork, making money by buying and selling something you're an expert in, creating YouTube videos, whatever. Try not to make it a solitary hobby either. Having some friends to bounce ideas off - even if it's by correspondence - can generate synergy.

Barbas

ExQQxv1D1ns
Oct 28, 2013
It sounds like you're stagnating. My advice is to shake up the schedule. Set aside some time to go for walks or runs to keep your mind occupied - sometimes you just have to move around to think. Put something on the desk in front of you and try sketching it. Put the results all over the walls of your room. Join a couple more online communities, talk to people you've never met before and organize group meetups. Experiment, get kinky, take all the time in the world. Exercise your mind.

[HEADING=2]Open your miiind...open your miiiiind...[/HEADING]

Illesdan

Sep 15, 2008
Try finding a 24/7 gym and get a trial membership. I joined a gym last month after wanting to get into better shape and get back into bodybuilding again, and I'm really having fun. You don't need friends to go, and, maybe you can buddy-up with another gym regular. If you can't find a gym, go to the park. Change of scenery. I play disc golf in the park myself. Maybe volunteer at the local animal shelter and walk some dogs around or play with some cats?

If nothing else, you do need to get out of yourself. It sounds like the beginning of depression, and you really don't want that nasty shit to take hold.