Alpha Colony Misses Kickstarter Goal by $28

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
Alpha Colony Misses Kickstarter Goal by $28

Studio founder Christopher Williamson says missing the Kickstarter goal by such a tiny amount is probably for the best in the long run.

Coming up $28 short on a $50,000 Kickstarter has to be a huge disappointment, because the all-or-nothing rules of Kickstarter means that no matter how close you come to your goal, if you miss it, you get nothing. Compounding the blow for the developers of Alpha Colony [http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1547218311/alpha-colony-an-exploration-building-and-trading-g] is that they've already sunk ten months and more than $60,000 of their own money into the game.

"It is so frustrating to come so close, but clearly there simply isn't that much interest in building the kind of game I envisioned," Williamson wrote on the Alpha Colony Kickstarter Facebook page [https://www.facebook.com/pages/Alpha-Colony-Videogame-Kickstarter/408341812520382]. "I have already invested everything I have getting my dream this far (twice!) and now I must feed my family and focus on projects that will pay the bills."

Yet in spite of his disappointment, Williamson also expressed relief that the Kickstarter didn't actually manage to limp across the finish line. "Although many consider this a failure and unfair, in the end, it is perhaps the kindest thing the universe could have done for us," he told Gamasutra. "To be committed to deliver my dream game underfunded, understaffed, and sub-par, and to lose even more time and money would have been even more heartbreaking."

"[$50,000] may seem like a lot of money to many, but by the time I pay 3D artists, animators, designers, and programmers, issue figurines, prints, T-shirts, shipping, etc. there will be nothing left for me and my team and we would end up with a game far short of what I had envisioned building," he added.

This was actually Alpha Colony's second crack at Kickstarter. The first [http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1547218311/alpha-colony-a-tribute-to-mule] was canceled on July 27 after raising more than $100,000 of a $500,000 goal, which Williamson said is what he thinks would actually be needed to get the job done properly. "We scaled it way back and added stretch goals to $300k on the second Kickstarter in the hopes that we could at least achieve the same $100k level we got before," he explained.

Despite the setback, it's unlikely to be the end of Alpha Colony. "Perhaps we will try again at some future point once I have attended to my personal and team's immediate financial needs," Williamson wrote on Facebook. "I have been trying to build this game for almost 14 years so I doubt this is the end for Alpha Colony, but I do have to be responsible business owner and father and accept the reality of where we are at the moment and what the world wants."

Source: Gamasutra [http://www.gamasutra.com/view/news/182756/Alpha_Colony_Kickstarter_misses_funding_goal_by_28.php#.UL0NsnfAF8E]

gardian06

Jun 18, 2012
so being $28 dollars short will anybodies 2cents really be worth it. wait if you get enough of those 2cents together we can save this....

Yopaz

Sarcastic overlord
Jun 3, 2009
This is really a tragedy. If I had known about this project (and especially how close it was) I would have donated.

Andy Shandy

Fucked if I know
Jun 7, 2010
My question now is why did he set the total so low if the bare minimum amount he wanted to raise would've meant it was "underfunded, understaffed and sub-par"

I know that obviously he wouldn't have made it if it was higher, but why ask for the amount to make it sub-par?

Ewyx

Dec 3, 2008
Apparently someone donated 800$ in the last second, so even the developer couldn't chip in. (Apparently his wife was watching the countdown or something).

One theory is, that apparently someone knew it wouldn't be funded so they pitched in to prove a point.

Formica Archonis

Anonymous Source
Nov 13, 2009
Ouch. And I thought the Fargoal Kickstarter, that made its goal with 5 minutes to go then dropped back as people withdrew their pledges, then made its goal AGAIN with 2 minutes to go, was bad enough.

Ah, well, a few high-profile ones like this and Kickstarter will probably introduce an automatic nonrenewable extend by one hour if you're within 1% of your goal. Which will introduce its own set of problems.

gardian06

Jun 18, 2012
Andy Shandy said:
My question now is why did he set the total so low if the bare minimum amount he wanted to raise would've meant it was "underfunded, understaffed and sub-par"

I know that obviously he wouldn't have made it if it was higher, but why ask for the amount to make it sub-par?
it is actually more common then you would think with things like kickstarter where you set the base number (at an attainable number), and then the game/project you actually want to do is up in your stretch goals.

then the expectation is that the people pursuing will see that the min goal is a low number, and attainable, and then enough of that happens then it will get base funding (except for here), but usually once a project receives min funding within a given time period before the end of its run then it will usually receive at least double (with a few well noted exceptions)

Nouw

Mar 18, 2009
That's a really positive and mature look on this situation, props to 'ya Christopher!

ritchards

Non-gamer in a gaming world
Nov 20, 2009
Setting a realistic but high goal is why the Dizzy Returns kickstarter probably won't happen... (that, and that hardly anyone knows about it...)

Hey, Escapist, where's the love for Dizzy?

Eri

The Light of Dawn
Feb 21, 2009
Actually, for anyone who has looked deeper...

It seems like he purposely let it fail because he realized it would cost more to actually do all of the rewards and game than he thought. It also appears like he put quite a bit of his own money into it to look like more people were donating than they actually were, if this wasn't the case, why would he not just stick 28$ in there really quickly?

The answer- because he knew it would be too costly.

Fearzone

Boyz! Boyz! Boyz!
Dec 3, 2008
I'm glad you commented on it. I kickstarted Shadowgate, and they sent me an email saying Alpha Colony needs my help. I went to their page, and they were around $2000 short, with around 20 minutes left of the Kickstarter. So I watched the video. The whole "playing [a 4x strategy game] with your family" angle I thought was really corny, plus it was kind of like watching a stupid cable channel commercial, so I decided to let this one go, and deleted the email.

But I started thinking it would almost certainly make its mark. I mean, if all you have to do is create a fake account to donate $2500 to get $50,000, well that seems like a good deal to me, and I figured they would do something like that. I have to give them credit that they didn't. Well looks like were hoping it would go viral and make millions--I think deep down every Kickstarter really is hoping for that.

Anyway, I regretted deleting the email, because I wanted to check a half hour later to see what happened, because I couldn't remember the name of the game. And here it is.

kburns10

You Gots to Chill
Sep 10, 2012
I definitely think he's taking the right attitude about this. It's heartbreaking to fall so short, but that might be an omen for how it would have sold. After spending so much money to get this off the ground TWICE he's gotta focus on what's important. Maybe the third time will be the charm for him.

Whytewulf

Dec 20, 2009
Ewyx said:
Apparently someone donated 800$ in the last second, so even the developer couldn't chip in. (Apparently his wife was watching the countdown or something).

One theory is, that apparently someone knew it wouldn't be funded so they pitched in to prove a point.
That's my question. I am kind of glad it didn't work then, because the people that donated $50K would have been disappointed. I didn't even know about this.. so maybe there is something too it losing.. No Buzz..