Alphabetically or Chronologically?

Hulyen

Apr 20, 2009
Diddy_Mao said:
My DVD's are organized by standard video store genre. (Comedy, Action/Adventure, Animation, Television, Sch-Fi/Horror etc.)
My Games are organized by platform.

After that I start to break it down into a mutant halfbreed organizational method. It's pretty simple to understand but it always throws people off.

It goes like this.

Alphabetically by the first title in a series.

So for example my PS2 collection has a cross section that looks like this.

Final Fantasy X
Final Fantasy X-2
Front Mission 4
Frequency
Amplitude
God of War

Strictly alphabetical until you get to Amplitude, which is placed where it is because it's the sequel to Frequency.
Very much this for me as well. Amplitude is the one that throws people off for me as well, heh.

Korten12

Now I want ma...!
Aug 26, 2009
My games go by Console, Genre, then Time of ownership.

So if I got a old game new, it would be near the front of the genre as it was the latest I got.

Cheezel

Sep 4, 2010
I'm quite interested to see if anyone does anything similar to me. I organise my games a bit differently.

First I organise by platform, but then I organise by which games I have played most recently. So if I want to play a game that I haven't played in a while, I just look to the back of the collection. Once I'm done with it I simply put it up the front with the other game I've played recently and look to the back again.

Does anyone else do this?

LazyAza

May 28, 2008
Platform then alphabetical for me, really don't see how their could be any other way. I mean who ever remembers when games release and why would it ultimately matter? when you want to find something you go by the name and what machine its on.

Strazdas

Robots will replace your job
May 28, 2011
oh... my cardridhes are somewhere in a bad deep in a corner with my "console"....
my dvds.... 600+ of them... (mostly movies though, games dont reach 100) i keep in order i bought them though. all of them have a number, and all of them are listed in an excel sheet. and i remmember if i have bought it 4 years ago or 5 years ago. if i dont, quick search the excel.

WolfLord

Nov 8, 2011
By how often it goes in the xbox. Take a game out and it goes in the top of the dvd tower, as time goes on games that don't get played stay at the bottom. If it's still there by the end of the year I sell it.

Xerosch

Apr 19, 2008
Funny, I have a small system for my game cases, too.

For PS2 and DS all games from the same series stand in chronological order and are surrounded by games from the same genre. As in Europe all PS2 and most of the DS games have their title printed in black on a white background it all looks the same.

However, I sort PS3 and Xbox games from the colour of their case. Makes for an interesting RPG- and FPS-Rainbow, but I found every other order distracting. My games stand in a shelf next to my TV and can easily be seen from my couch.

Eruanno

Captain Hammer
Aug 14, 2008
To the people who throw away your boxes: ARGH WHAT IS WRONG WITH YOU?!

I sort my games by publisher, then by developer, then by game series. For example, all EA games are sorted in a line, and all BioWare games are sorted together with DICE. (Both published by EA). So the Dragon Age and Mass Effect games are next to eachother, due to coming from the same dev. No real alphabetic order to speak of...

Limited/Collectors Editions are great for keeping the other games from falling over :3

Lady Larunai

Nov 30, 2010
I live in a small space the size of a shed so not much other than my manga is organized atm.. my 360 games are in a washing basket on the floor and the rest are stacked in piles in the wardrobe.. the only things properly sorted are the boxed console collection...

Quaidis

Jun 1, 2008
My game collection is everywhere.

The snes, nes, sms, and other cartridge cajoleries are stored in a trunk with the systems. I lost some of my genesis games during a move and deeply miss them.

The atari stuff is in random boxes I've yet to open in about ten years.

The Nintendo Wii collection is on the shelf near the main-room television (where the Wii is). Gamecube games are on one side, Wii games on the other. Games further left are the titles I play more often.

The PS1, PS2, and DS games are on the shelf with my dvds. Some of the PS1 games are on a CD rack near my computer. DS games are organized with stuff I'm more likely to play more often on the right of the line, with games I borrow from people on the furthest right. I don't think the PS1 games are organized.

The PS2 games were once shelved alphabetically, however have fallen into the timed and true 'stuff I beat on left, stuff I haven't beaten on right.' I try to keep series together, sometimes with a game from the series I haven't beaten on the right of the grouping.

Landis963

May 23, 2011
Any physical games I have (Wii titles only, my parents won't let me get any other consoles) are alphabetical by moniker, i.e. SSBB (under B for "Brawl") is the very first game on the shelf in that setup. Well, besides the lame Bionicle Heroes port, but we don't talk about that one.

SpAc3man

Jul 26, 2009
My 168 game Steam collection is pretty well organised into categories holding franchises. It is a bit annoying I can't change the order within each category though. Assassin's Creed is all out of order :(

theLadyBugg

May 24, 2010
I have a simple, if detailed system: separated chronologically by console, then alphabetically by series, then chronologically within in the series. Handhelds are organized by the same system, but kept separate from other games.

There are two places where this falls apart: 1. My Gameboy Color cartridges are a mess. I've got the Pokemon games together and the rest is just a haphazard stack on the shelf.

2. My husband either does not understand or refuses to acknowledge the cataloging system beyond separation of console. So, I'll go looking for Jak and Daxter, and instead of finding it with the rest of the franchise, it's at the end of the shelf in between SSX Tricky and Tekken. Where is the logic in that?

Lunar Templar

Sep 20, 2009
Grey Day for Elcia said:
What is this 'box' you speak of?

Video games come from Steam, silly.

What next--milk comes from cows? HA.
I'm not sure if i should laugh, or cry at this .....

FoolKiller

Feb 8, 2008
Susan Arendt said:
Alphabetically by console, oldest consoles first. So my shelf goes PS2, Xbox, GameCube, Xbox 360, PS3, Wii. DS games are on the bottom and I have so many of them that they're stacked every which way. It's really quite embarrassing. I'm thinking of giving them their own dedicated storage area.
Do it. They deserve the love. I found a great tall and skinny CD shelf at IKEA. DS/Gameboy games fit beautifully on it.