Alright, hands up. Let's be honest here.

Redlin5_v1legacy

Better Red than Dead
Aug 5, 2009
...how many of us literally live in our parent's basement?

I'm 21, working three jobs and trying to get into university in Vancouver to take a 4 year film course to get my degree and get into the industry. I'm here because the rent is cheap although I may move out and room with three friends I know from High School. Still waiting on that one to see how that'll pan out.

The point is my sister pointed out to me the other day the truth of it. I'm living in my folks basement.

I want out. I want to be independent and doing my own thing. Working two retail jobs and one Pizza job is boring. x.x

Anyway. Just wondering how many others here are in a similar situation.

BloatedGuppy

Feb 3, 2010
Sweet. Vancouver. I live in Vancouver.

Enjoy the city for the 2 months of the year it's not constantly raining.

Colour Scientist

Troll the Respawn, Jeremy!
Jul 15, 2009
I moved out of home for college when I was 17 and I haven't really moved back since.
I don't think I could live with my mom again, our relationship is so much better when we're not living together.

tippy2k2

Beloved Tyrant
Legacy
Mar 15, 2008
I don't anymore but gather round children for I have a story to tell!

Back in my younger man days (five years ago to be exact), a young and doe-eyed Tippy2k2 had just graduated with his four-year degree in Art (stop laughing!). "Oh Boy!" thought a young Tippy2k2, "It's time to roll up my sleeves and get me a sweet graphic design job like I've always wanted!". I'll only stay at my Mum's house for a few months until that happens...

[four months after graduation]
You'd think that having no job and no bills would be awesome. You would be wrong. "Bored bored bored bored bored" thinks Tippy2k2. Wow, a company wants to hire me! Well that isn't in my field but it can be a stand-by until I get up on my feet. The first warning for you young-ones: Tech Support is quite possibly the most soul-crushing job you can ever have...

[six months after graduation]
Fuck...my interest rates are kicking in and I'm now buried. Just about everything I'm making from my new tech support job is going to the student loans. I'm drowning in this shit...

[one year after graduation]
The parents are becoming increasingly unhappy (as am I). I stay all by myself and do virtually nothing to bug them but just having no space to yourself is enough to drive any 23 year old crazy. However, this job is just killing me and I spend a lot of free time looking for a new job with no bites. Just...any job at this point will due, get me the fuck out of this place....please! :,(

[one year and six months after graduation]
The parents have stated that whatever happens, I'm going to have to leave soon. Luckily, my parents fucking rock and have offered to lend me money that I need until I can get my head above water. However, opportunity knocks in the form of a temp agency; offering me a temp position at Wells Fargo (that did fall apart and left me bitter enough at WF that I will never have any service done there but that's a different story...). Even though it's risky (you're a temp after all), I take the risk and I'm out of my parents basement, finally at the ripe old age of 24. My step-brother and myself rent an apartment together and I am free of my parents without having to borrower money from them!

So there's my story for the five of you who took the time to read all that. I hope that makes you feel better Red! Even with $51,953.34 left due on my student loans, I am now 27 years young and am in the very beginning stages of buying my own house/townhouse/condo/shack behind the McDonalds!

Wadders

Aug 16, 2008
Nah, living between home (with parents) and University at the moment. I suppose when I graduate I'll be at home for a while, but not literally in the basement. Got a nice room upstairs thanks :p

After that, I'll try to get work them move out. Thanks to saving money and some inheritance, I should have enough for a deposit somewhere half decent.

That's the plan anyway. In reality I'll probably just end up as another of the increasing number of UK graduates who fail to find work, and are thus sentenced to living with their parents indefinitely...

tippy2k2 said:
This is comforting, congrats!

Esotera

May 5, 2011
Not literally the basement, but I live with my parents inbetween semesters. Theoretically I could live entirely by myself for the next two years, then get a job and do it indefinitely, but that's just wasting away my savings so they're supportive of me remaining in their house for a few months at a time.

Mr Cwtchy

Jan 13, 2009
I live in my parents house, guess that's close enough as we don't have a basement. :p

At 19 I'm not sure whether I'm expected to be living by myself at this point. I know I sure as hell wouldn't survive on my own yet though(I can cook for myself, yeah, but I'm still no good with washing clothes and shit like that).

Bamba

Feb 12, 2013
Im still living with my parents. Im 20 years old and I have no job. Its difficult for me because I have not finished high school properly and I dont have any degree so I can only work at simple jobs that require little experience or knowledge to be accepted. But even that I could not find yet, despite looking in many places.

Personally though, I would never have the patience to study for 4 years just for a film degree. I guess you have a lot of patience if you decided to do that. Personally I dont think its worth it as well. You would be studying for 4 years and during these 4 years you would have to work hard and study all the time. Films is a good industry, but there are other good industries that do not require studying for 4 years to do well at them. Not that Im trying to convince you not to study or anything, just saying what I think about it. Like I said you probably have a lot of patience for willing to study for 4 years.

Dave In A Cape

Aug 9, 2009
I live in my own house and have done for the last 2 and a half years. I moved out my parents house when I was 16 for a few years but had to move back in for maybe about 9 months to a year while I got myself back on my feet.

Amethyst Wind

Apr 1, 2009
I'm sitting in a hostel right now in a timezone 9 hours removed from my parents' house. I'm hoping to find work and therefore my own place to live. I'm really hoping I don't have to go back to my parents' house even temporarily (until I got a job in my home country) because it would mean I failed out here.

Scarim Coral

Jumped the ship
Legacy
Oct 29, 2010
Country
UK
Sure I lived with my parent but they don't have a basement. I'm in the same room I used to lived in (they kept the house after we move towns as their retirement house).
By all means I do want to move out and lived by myself or at least a roommate as I can't stand my parent most of the time but I don't have alot of cash to be fully indepedant.

Epic Bear Man

Feb 5, 2013
I wish my home had a basement. ): You know how awesome it'd be to have a room that big?!

At the moment, I'm still living with my parents, but then again I'm in community college at the moment. Only doing community, because it means I'll do less time at a state university, and it'll be cheaper. :'D

Eclipse Dragon

Lusty Argonian Maid
Legacy
Jan 23, 2009
Country
United States
I moved out at 23, honestly though, it's nothing to be ashamed of.
It's hard to find a job that pays enough to pay all the bills associated with living on your own without the help of a room mate (flatmate). My older sister still lives at home, she's 27, I'm fortunate enough to have a best friend who I can tolerate living with.

Darken12

Apr 16, 2011
I lived with my parents until I was 21. Being in college full-time, five hours a day (from Monday to Saturday) and having practicum (read: unpaid slave labour) 7 hours a day (from Monday to Friday) left me unable to get an actual job (though I did work at a drugstore for a month a few years ago). Eventually I had to move out to my own place because I wasn't going to spend 2 to 4 hours a day commuting back and forth. So I went to live on my own on 2011, thanks to a kind relative who lent me a rent-free apartment. I lucked out real good with that one, since my country has no concept of student dorms.

Now that I graduated and will be soon allowed by the law to actually get a job, I'll start paying rent and the bills, and buying things that aren't necessities like food and clothes. And then I'm going back to college for another degree. :-/

Bamba

Feb 12, 2013
Eclipse Dragon said:
I moved out at 23, honestly though, it's nothing to be ashamed of.
It's hard to find a job that pays enough to pay all the bills associated with living on your own without the help of a room mate (flatmate). My older sister still lives at home, she's 27, I'm fortunate enough to have a best friend who I can tolerate living with.
Good point there man. Its true. Living independently can be quite expensive, and requires a job that would pay enough to pay for the bills and the house rental. Also food, furniture, clothes.....all of which are basic stuff actually. I guess a lot of people are forced to remain in their parents homes mainly because they cant afford living alone. Im one of them so I know what Im talking about, hehehehe.

Fappy

\[T]/
Jan 4, 2010
Country
United States
I'm living in my childhood room at the moment. 23. I have a full-time job, college education and a girlfriend who I plan to settle down with sometime after she starts med school. Basically I am just saving money (my only expenses are a car, insurance and my phone bill). Free dinner + free rent = OP.

My parents like having me around, so I won't be moving out until there's reason to. At a guess that'll probably be sometime in the next 2 years or so.

lRookiel

Lord of Infinite Grins
Jun 30, 2011
At uni studying business and marketing, decided to stay at home with my parents. I hope I can get a job (Any job) and move into a flat with one of my mates within a year of graduating -.-

The Wykydtron

"Emotions are very important!"
Sep 23, 2010
My house doesn't even HAVE a basement. So fuck you, I win. I'm 19 so i'm excused from the "lol lives with parents" stigma for a few years still. My mum and I get on each others nerves a lot though, I mean a LOT.

I wonder whether that would have been improved or worsened if I ever had a father I wonder? Father. It looks like such a bizzare word to me it seems... Meaningless almost. Hmm

Christ, get out of the weird mood.

Haha, ok i'm fine.

[sub]Loooossserrrrrs![/sub]

Lilani

Sometimes known as CaitieLou
May 27, 2009
I'm more or less graduating this May (there are two online classes I'll take in the summer and then graduate, but my main coursework will be finished this spring), and unless I get a job lined up immediately I'll probably be moving in with my parents for as briefly as humanly possible. The very latest I want to find a job and my own place is the end of the summer, which as long as my luck isn't totally rotton should be doable because I'll have basically nothing else to do except finish those online classes and then go through summer commencement at the end of July.