Alt+Escape: Warfare 1944

John Funk

U.N. Owen Was Him?
Dec 20, 2005
Alt+Escape: Warfare 1944

All it's missing is the Battlefield theme song.

Read Full Article

HobbesMkii

Hold Me Closer Tony Danza
Jun 7, 2008
Hey hey! You've finally got around to mentioning this. But sadly, you neglected to give a shout out to the one man development studio, ConArtist Games, who frankly deserves a great deal of support since he's done Warfare 1917 and the stunningly amazing Last Stand series (as well as worked on others, like a previous Alt+Escape featured game: "Crush the Castle" for which he provided the art).

Still, I love this game, although I never got past the first level with German tanks.

headshotcatcher

Feb 27, 2009
Didn't you already do this game before? I'm sure you did..

Anyway the game doesn't really offer any replay value and it was simply waiting for lots of resources and unleashing a huge force then so I didn't like it..

AboveUp

May 21, 2008
Fat Man Spoon said:
Is it odd I was playing this only yesterday?
It's on Kongregate's front page for some time now, so not really.

Not really my kind of game. It's quite good though.

Pebsy

Jun 12, 2008
it also features a lot mroe unit variety, a german campaign, and you attack in 3 lanes instead of just one i belive

Asehujiko

Feb 25, 2008
Pebsy said:
it also features a lot mroe unit variety, a german campaign, and you attack in 3 lanes instead of just one i belive
Warfare 1917 also had a Kaiserreich campaign and there were 3 lanes, they just overlapped.

Chrinik

May 8, 2008
It evolved from a WW1 game, where the general warfare is "sit in your trench, attack, die/survive, hog enemy trench, repeat", but it featured some unit specific tactics, like when to use grenades and the comanders ability to call in air and artillery strikes (the 1917 commander was quite useless, only armed with a pistol and gave your men a buff...woo<.<), and it is really a hard nut to crack an enemy tank.
Also, in real warfare, u usually sit in your cover to not get shot at anyway. And only come out to advance or take some shots at the enemy position.

I liked the game, and made it through both campains...mainly the upgrade system between the fights totally made me go on.

And it´s called Wehrmacht >.<

SeniorDingDong

Jan 8, 2008
LewsTherin said:
I felt the WWI game was more authentic to the strategies used in its respective war.
Yes, their WW1 game is great.

This game feels a litte unrealistic and giving the Germans the old Panzer III was dull.

newbienator

Jun 26, 2009
About time you found this one, I do believe that someone mentioned it in some of the other Alt+Escape comments.

Anyway I liked it too, some of the levels are pretty damn annoying though
shame you can't do the "I WIN" 3 assult team rush anymore, and the officer's powers aren't really worth it.

I'd just put the theme song on repeat when I play it

UtopiaV1

Feb 8, 2009
This game is nothing, at all, like battlefield 1942!!! It's more like Company of Heroes, what with the colour-coded cover used by infantry in the game (yellow for light cover, green for heavy) and the accumulation of the manpower resource to purchase more units.

This is overdue a review. It is excellent, and surprisingly has more strategy elements than you might think, what with the three lanes of traffic... sorry, 'attack', that you can march down. Units can only attack enemy units in front of them or 1 lane either side, so if you're defending you have to have units in at least the outer lanes to hold the enemy no matter where they attack from, whereas if you're trying to break through enemy defences it's best to concentrate on one flank, to minimise enemy contact and force them to retreat.

I was very surprised by how professionally done this game is. It could rival some mainstream games!!!

Pebsy

Jun 12, 2008
dont get to ahead of yourself there. the game is good, but its not about to rival any mainstream games anytime soon