Altered Beast needs a remake

Harrycanyon1982

Dec 28, 2016
Who else would love to see a new version of the classic 80's hit game and all? it can have more creature Being forms than the old ones even have a Merman one for a water level when you fight bad guys in the sea or lake near a castle of an enemy to fight underwater monster enemies.

DOOM GUY

Welcome to the Fantasy Zone
Jul 3, 2010
Not one of my favorite Sega arcade classics, but if it's done right, I could see it being great.

Chimpzy_v1legacy

Warning! Contains bananas!
Jun 21, 2009
Depends on what a developer wants to do with the IP.

If it's basically going to be a rethread of the original game with some extra levels, maybe some updated graphics? No thank, because let's be fair, Altered Beast was never a great game, even for its time. It's remembered more for the "Wise fwom youw gwave!" and "buff dudes become oiled-up buffer dudes by collecting balls" things than for its merits as a beat'em up.

On the other hand, if they took the game's concepts as a framework to create something new and better, that could work. Then again, they already tried that on the PS2 and the results were decidedly 'meh'.

Aeshi

Dec 22, 2009
Kind of off-topic, but does anyone remember that old "Project Altered Beast" game-
Chimpzy said:
On the other hand, if they took the game's concepts as a framework to create something new and better, that could work. Then again, they already tried that on the PS2 and the results were decidedly 'meh'.
-oh, evidently someone does.

I dunno, I kinda liked it personally.

Igor-Rowan

Apr 12, 2016
Why not an alteration of the game like what Shadow of the Beast did earlier this year? If it is something new that makes me want to play the original, that is a great way to introducing people to a franchise.

CaitSeith

Formely Gone Gonzo
Legacy
Jun 30, 2014
Harrycanyon1982 said:
Who else would love to see a new version of the classic 80's hit game and all?
It already has one. It's... not very good.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Chimpzy said:

If it's basically going to be a rethread of the original game with some extra levels, maybe some updated graphics? No thank, because let's be fair, Altered Beast was never a great game, even for its time. It's remembered more for the "Wise fwom youw gwave!" and "buff dudes become oiled-up buffer dudes by collecting balls" things than for its merits as a beat'em up.

True, but a new game could work, if handled right. This, Comix Zone, and Vectorman deserve a remake. I'm leaving Streets of Rage out, because it got the best remake possible already.

Comix Zone and Altered Beast can be 2.5D Brawlers similar to Vewitful Joe. The only difference is that Comix Zone should be cel-shaded and have either an actual lives or continue system. As much I as like Comix Zone for pushing the Genesis to its graphical limit, the difficulty was so unfair. Altered Beast I can do with or without the art style I'm proposing, and Vectorman I'd prefer the cel-shading.

Fallow

NSFB
Oct 29, 2014
Chimpzy said:

You got it all wrong, it was famous for the "Wwaelcome tojotomac!".

votemarvel

Elite Member
Legacy
Nov 29, 2009
Country
England
Altered Beast was one of the biggest piles of manky old shite that I ever had the misfortune to play.

If they did a remake it'd probably be the precursor to the rise of the anti-christ.

Chemical Alia

Feb 1, 2011
votemarvel said:
Altered Beast was one of the biggest piles of manky old shite that I ever had the misfortune to play.

If they did a remake it'd probably be the precursor to the rise of the anti-christ.
I always felt like you don't actually play Altered beast, you perform it. Like a Mozart concerto, you just practice it over and over until you can recite it perfectly.

Glongpre

Jun 11, 2013
I think Light Crusader would be better remake material than Altered Beast(besides there are a ton of better genesis games that deserve a remake before Altered Beast)

Medieval setting, magic, swords, and shit.
Giant bosses, fantastical creatures, aggressive lily pads.
RPG shit.
Puzzles and junk.
Large world to explore (or dungeon).

This stuff seems to be all the rage these days. Maaaaaaaan, I would love a remake to this game :(

BEAT THEM.
IT'S GONNA KILL YOU!!
SWITCHON!

jademunky

Mar 6, 2012
I always hated playing altered beast at my Sega-loving friend's house. One game I really loved that I don't think anyone else one the fucking planet remembers: Alex Kidd in Miracle World, I always nagged him to play that one instead.

I always remember the commercial for Altered Beast far better than the game itself, it was everything right and wrong with the late 80's summed up in 30 seconds.

Frankster

Space Ace
Mar 13, 2009
Wasn't there already a remake though?

*glances at comments and sees someone linked the ps2 game*

Thought so. Anyways it was allright for its time but don't really see what a 2nd remake would bring.